• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4st4

Yeah it's sad to see a full team never push toward an objective for the whole game and be content with standing at the edge trying to get long range kills. As a Lucio or Mercy why even bother keeping them alive...

Tell me about it! After pushing the payload over two-three objectives my team couldn't help me do the final stretch (ten meters, maybe) because they were all obsessed with their Widow/Hanzo/McCree composition. It's the final push, I switched from Symmetra to Winston/Reinheardt/Junkrat for a reason, why are you still being mediocre far range shooters? But then the next game is a victory and all is forgotten. I'm not some pro-player but there's rules of the game and common sense.

Tell me about it! After pushing the payload over two-three objectives my team couldn't help me do the final stretch (ten meters, maybe) because they were all obsessed with their Widow/Hanzo/McCree composition. It's the final push, I switched from Symmetra to Winston/Reinheardt/Junkrat for a reason, why are you still being mediocre far range shooters? But then the next game is a victory and all is forgotten. I'm not some pro-player but there's rules of the game and common sense.

But symmetra on offense on payload isn't a great pick either...

ExVicis

I Tracer main, she pretty much always seems viable. Harassment and kills always useful. Never had complaints.
She gets shut down by turrets or Bastion pretty easily though. When there's a lot of those things I personally would switch off to maybe Genji or something.

I might be in the minority here but this is probably the least frustrating online game I've ever played.
I don't know about that but I will say I haven't gotten Dota 2 solo queue levels of mad yet, so this game's certainly not the most frustrating.

Gator86

It's fucking sad just how many players have been conditioned by Call of Duty over the years. So many people are shit scared of dying or putting themselves in bad situations for the good of the team.

I mean fucking hell you aren't camping for killstreaks or boasting about your K.D ratio to make up for the fact that you have a small penis. Get on the fucking point!!!

and **breathe**

Yeah it's sad to see a full team never push toward an objective for the whole game and be content with standing at the edge trying to get long range kills. As a Lucio or Mercy why even bother keeping them alive...

Yup, of all the terrible things teammates do, this is the fucking worst. It's fine to be bad, only play a main, etc. to some extent, but don't spend the entire match strafing the first goddamn chokepoint. Pretend you're actually playing the game.

ekim

You know you are playing with a bad team when you get gold medals with 4 eliminations, 10 seconds objective time and 2 objective kills. Seriously. I played Anubis defense yesterday and no one picked a defensive player outside me (Junkrat) but we had 2 Genjis, 2 Cowboys and a bad Hanzo. We got steamrolled. -.-

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Actually had a really funny instance of this. Was playing zen and I kept saying that my ult is ready. Then when I thought I had a group for a push I went in thinking they would follow me, but then I ulted with no one out there and died.

Then in my death cam it turned out that a mei blocked the rest of the team with ice wall.

Fuck you mei.

You're alright mei.

pigeon

Banned
I respect anyone who can play Winston well. I don't get how he plays at all.

Winston for Dummies:
1. Use your jump on cooldown. If you are at high health, jump on the enemy team. Aim for snipers and healers. If you are at low health, jump away from the enemy team and go find health.
2. If you are near an enemy, hold down left mouse button.
3. If you feel unsafe, hit E. If an enemy gets inside the bubble, get outside the bubble.
4. Eventually you will be worried about dying. Hit Q. Jump on enemies and try to hit them towards cliffs. If no cliffs, hit them wherever might be funny. If hitting Q does not heal you to full then you didn't hold down left mouse button enough.
5. When you get play of the game for knocking half the enemy team into the Aegean, don't forget to type "happy landings" in all chat.

The end, you're now pro.

P.S. Avoid McCree, 76, and D.Va. Jump on other people.

You know you are playing with a bad team when you get gold medals with 4 eliminations, 10 seconds objective time and 2 objective kills. Seriously. I played Anubis defense yesterday and no one picked a defensive player outside me (Junkrat) but we had 2 Genjis, 2 Cowboys and a bad Hanzo. We got steamrolled. -.-

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I played a game last night where my friend got a gold medal for healing as Mei.

He had 219 healing.

There was a Mercy on our team.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I get annoyed at just the opposite. If I see a D.Va in a game as the only tank I'll typically switch myself to Reinhardt in hopes that they'll go off to do something else.

Yes! I love having you friendly Reinhardts around ready to take all the attention!

That's literally the only important thing in this game and in life! How dare you?!

You are right. Forgive me.

As somebody who plays a bunch of D.Va, I think people who say D.Va is not meant to jump on the objective and take damage are actually playing D.Va wrong. You have 500 health of which 400 is armor, an ability that neutralizes an infinite amount of damage while it's active (the only ability in the game that does so), and a literal extra life. You're excellent at facetanking and you should definitely be doing it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use your mobility advantage and compensate for your speed disadvantage, because you clearly should, but it is actually your job to, say, jump on a Torb turret and soak it up while killing it. You should be getting on the point and hitting E.

Others have already answered you, but absolutely. The difference in D.Va's facetanking is that she shouldn't be running up the middle doing it pretending like she's Reinhardt. I agree she should be distracting turrets (amongst other things) and throwing herself on the objective whenever possible. She seems to be able to get back into the action after respawning faster than most characters.

Still, one thing I've got to improve in is checking the team's got my back, and that something will come from me sacrificing myself on the point. Often I just rush to get back in and get demolished because my team is elsewhere, in which case I'm inclined to blame them for not playing the objective, but it's important to be responsible with such mobility and the Defense Matrix available.

Dreavus

I really want more voice commands. Not just for "Get on the point" but stuff like "Go!" and "Good job!" and "Wait!" would be nice to have too. The best we have is announcing ultimate is ready and then hoping that other people understand that you want to use it now (if it's a base breaker like Lucio's or Zenyatta's)

I end up saying "thanks" a lot because there's basically nothing else that positively acknowledges your team when they make a good play.

Actually had a really funny instance of this. Was playing zen and I kept saying that my ult is ready. Then when I thought I had a group for a push I went in thinking they would follow me, but then I ulted with no one out there and died.

Then in my death cam it turned out that a mei blocked the rest of the team with ice wall.

Fuck you mei.

You're alright mei.

Using Mei to cut off just one or two people from their team has become my addiction lately.

Also walling in a Mercy/Lucio with me and slowly beginning cryogenic experimentation

LiK

Winston for Dummies:
1. Use your jump on cooldown. If you are at high health, jump on the enemy team. Aim for snipers and healers. If you are at low health, jump away from the enemy team and go find health.
2. If you are near an enemy, hold down left mouse button.
3. If you feel unsafe, hit E. If an enemy gets inside the bubble, get outside the bubble.
4. Eventually you will be worried about dying. Hit Q. Jump on enemies and try to hit them towards cliffs. If no cliffs, hit them wherever might be funny. If hitting Q does not heal you to full then you didn't hold down left mouse button enough.
5. When you get play of the game for knocking half the enemy team into the Aegean, don't forget to type "happy landings" in all chat.

The end, you're now pro.

P.S. Avoid McCree, 76, and D.Va. Jump on other people.

Will try to figure this out with PS4 controls. :p

I respect anyone who can play Winston well. I don't get how he plays at all.
Step 1: pick Winston
Step 2: fuck shit up
I'm not the best player but I've had plenty of games where I've just caused so much chaos for the opposing team. On my best games, my teammates picked the enemy team off as they scattered from it.

Just played a game of payload on the offensive team, and after having to face off against 3 bastions on the defense I have to agree at this point with everyone that bastion is op. I thought the outcry of bastion being op was sort of a joke before but it's not.

m4st4

But symmetra on offense on payload isn't a great pick either...

I know. But the defense team had such a bad Symmetra that I had to pick her just to... show him/her how it's done? I admit it was a vanity decision but then what happened is we went from payload just standing there on the start position to complete wrecking, I managed to put a bunch of turrets on the payload and we had couple of neatly placed teleporters to help us along the way. It looked like a great decision until they put two Bastions behind the end line. There's only so much Symmetra luck so I switched to logical decisions. My team, however, did not.

Astral

Zarya's ult is fantastic goddamn. I got a sextuple kill with it. I wish more people would use it as an opportunity for their ult too though.

EDIT: Like that McCree just now going ham with fan the hammer after I used my ult is on them. Too had we still lost.

A mistake I see teams making, both in pre-made groups and always in pubs is not contesting the payload. They fight on the outskirts and let the opposing team push the payload forward while they battle it out in mid-range.

The defending team puts up a good fight combat wise, but they lose the objective.

Goddamn, I am totally addicted to playing Mei. She works pretty damn well on both offense and defense and she is ridiculous for stalling on the objective and buying your dead team time to make it back.

Just played a game of payload on the offensive team, and after having to face off against 3 bastions on the defense I have to agree at this point with everyone that bastion is op. I thought the outcry of bastion being op was sort of a joke before but it's not.

He's OP against new players that don't know how to deal with him. I'm level 44 and in the games I get matched into he's never a particular problem, unless the people I'm grouped with are allergic to teamwork.

I always pick D.Va before anyone else has the chance to, and god sorts the rest. I change my playstyle based on the situation, not my character. It's been working well for me so far.

As the former #54 ranked D. Va player in the world (at least on PS4) I consider myself to have absolute lighting reflexes when it comes to picking characters, especially D. Va. I'd like to end up on your team and see if I can select D. Va before you can.

winkyface!

Polarburr

I'm far from being a good player in Overwatch. But I am so proud of this moment that I just had to upload it. :3 Learning the ins and outs of this game is really addicting. Love how theres something to learn with every death/loss.

https://youtu.be/yDDOZ6ldgVY

I'd love your comments on this! Wanna know what I did wrong or what I did right so I can just keep practicing on em! :)

ps. LOVING THIS GAME. Damn perfect for the rainy season.

Has anyone discussed running a Neogaf tounament on this game? We have enough people to get into teams and do that, I think it'd be really fun, and it would get everyone's feet wet for when the competitive playlist arrives.

I'd be willing to lend a hand organizing the PS4 side.

A mistake I see teams making, both in pre-made groups and always in pubs is not contesting the payload. They fight on the outskirts and let the opposing team push the payload forward while they battle it out in mid-range.

The defending team puts up a good fight combat wise, but they lose the objective.

Watching death cam of people ballet dance just outside of the objective/far from the payload is heartbreaking sometimes

I really can't wait for that McCree nerf, double McCree is ran way too often.

I am very interested as to what kind of nerfs are being planned for him. Cooldown on fan the hammer? Remove reloading from his roll? Slow instead of stunlock on the flashbang?

All of the above? Even with two of those nerfs, he'd still be a very strong attacker; just more situational. I'd wager the FTH cooldown is most likely, though.

Absinthe

I'm far from being a good player in Overwatch. But I am so proud of this moment that I just had to upload it. :3 Learning the ins and outs of this game is really addicting. Love how theres something to learn with every death/loss.

https://youtu.be/yDDOZ6ldgVY

I'd love your comments on this! Wanna know what I did wrong or what I did right so I can just keep practicing on em! :)

ps. LOVING THIS GAME. Damn perfect for the rainy season.

Can't comment much on what you did wrong; that looked like some decent play there!

I am very interested as to what kind of nerfs are being planned for him. Cooldown on fan the hammer? Remove reloading from his roll? Slow instead of stunlock on the flashbang?

All of the above? Even with two of those nerfs, he'd still be a very strong attacker; just more situational. I'd wager the FTH cooldown is most likely, though.
FTH cooldown is the most likely. That really removes the reload/roll issue anyways.

Mei is such a frustrating character in general.

If you think about her main weapon, it's kind of antithetical to the concept of combat as a whole in the game. Overwatch isn't like Call of Duty where it takes just a couple of bullets to down an enemy. Some characters obviously make mincemeat out of others, but on the whole spotting enemies, trading some blows and continuing to engage, retreat, maybe use the geometry around you to your advantage, are generally your options.

Mei doesn't have any of that. If she engages you, by definition she removes both your mobility and your ability to attack. Your options are reduced to zero. You can't reciprocate in any way either, since you shooting at her while you start to slow down doesn't do anything to stop her from freezing you. In other words, if she engages you, literally the only way to prevent your death is to outright kill her. The fact that she can very, very easily force you into this "you or I die, NOW!" state makes her an incredibly odd choice for a character in a game like this.

I'm not gonna be calling her OP or whatever, because there's no real reason to believe she wrecks everyone else in the grand scheme of things. But conceptually she seems confusing. I'm hard pressed to find Blizzard's intended rationale in terms of what an encounter with an enemy Mei is supposed to be. She has a one-dimensional "I will freeze you" relationship with every other character in the game. They all freeze in the same way/rate and you kill them in the same way once they're frozen. Molten Core'd Torb is just about the only character with any semblance of a counter, and it's not even that I'm looking for a counter so much as any sort of "wrinkle" to give the freeze ray any kind of nuance or dimensionality with regards to the other characters.

Just got my 100th win! And it was a good one where both teams independently picked 6 junkrats on offense and 6 soldier 76s on defense before either of us knew the compositions. Most people stuck to their initial hero leading to a lot of hilarity and grenades lobbed. I am loving the group experience in this game.

Anyone got some tips on playing Zarya offensively? I've started using her on defense and I've had some amazing games but it's not much more complicated than "stand by the choke point and murder everything." That gif someone posted a bit earlier just looks too satisfying to resist. Haven't tried her much on attack, so I don't know if there's anything I should be aware of.

R0ckman

Played a fun match agaisnt a group I think? They had a pretty decent Genji and he had good mobility, he killed me a few times while I was Winston because he had his whole team gang up on me so they had to be communicating. Had a Mercy on my team saying I could have saved her a few times blaming me for her deaths, but most of the times I died it was against 4 of their team members. I would have been melted anyway.

They were pretty aroggant despite losing claiming we must have been afk most of the match. I eventually scared the genji away from the payload by continually melting him as winston (that leap really helps you keep up with him) and after our team had a bunch of quits and joins we finally got a good team together to finish the defense.

Im assuming he was a one trick pony because I would have switched if there was a character specifically going after me that I can't really counter as the char I'm currently using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom