• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very interested as to what kind of nerfs are being planned for him. Cooldown on fan the hammer? Remove reloading from his roll? Slow instead of stunlock on the flashbang?

All of the above? Even with two of those nerfs, he'd still be a very strong attacker; just more situational. I'd wager the FTH cooldown is most likely, though.

I was thinking FTH cooldown but then again fights usually end before a 2nd one is up since you should be killing super fast or dead super fast because right click + roll + right click can take out two potentially already.

FTH cooldown is the most likely. That really removes the reload/roll issue anyways.

It also forces McCree to become a midrange Offensive hero, which is what was intended of him in the first place.

What would be a reasonable cooldown? 10-12 seconds? Helix rockets are far weaker (and require quite a bit more aim) than FTH, and that's around the same cooldown time. Seems reasonable, if you ask me.

I was thinking FTH cooldown but then again fights usually end before a 2nd one is up since you should be killing super fast or dead super fast because right click + roll + right click can take out two potentially already.

Hence a nerf to the overall damage of FTH seems like it's also needed. 420 or 480 (whichever it is) is far, far too much. if he's meant to keep mobile heroes like Genji and Tracer in check, 250 is far more reasonable (even if it's not consistent with his single-fire damage).

pigeon

Banned
Mei is such a frustrating character in general.

If you think about her main weapon, it's kind of antithetical to the concept of combat as a whole in the game. Overwatch isn't like Call of Duty where it takes just a couple of bullets to down an enemy. Some characters obviously make mincemeat out of others, but on the whole spotting enemies, trading some blows and continuing to engage, retreat, maybe use the geometry around you to your advantage, are generally your options.

Mei doesn't have any of that. If she engages you, by definition she removes both your mobility and your ability to attack. Your options are reduced to zero. You can't reciprocate in any way either, since you shooting at her while you start to slow down doesn't do anything to stop her from freezing you. In other words, if she engages you, literally the only way to prevent your death is to outright kill her. The fact that she can very, very easily force you into this "you or I die, NOW!" state makes her an incredibly odd choice for a character in a game like this.

I'm not gonna be calling her OP or whatever, because there's no real reason to believe she wrecks everyone else in the grand scheme of things. But conceptually she seems confusing. I'm hard pressed to find Blizzard's intended rationale in terms of what an encounter with an enemy Mei is supposed to be. She has a one-dimensional "I will freeze you" relationship with every other character in the game. They all freeze in the same way/rate and you kill them in the same way. Molten Core'd Torb is just about the only character with any semblance of a counter, and it's not even that I'm looking for a counter so much as any sort of "wrinkle" to give the freeze ray any kind of nuance or dimensionality with regards to the other characters.

I don't think this is quite correct analysis. Yeah, Mei can freeze everybody in the game in about two seconds, but people have very different options in those two seconds. Pharah can boost out or concussion blast them apart, Tracer can dash or recall, Winston can hop away, etc.

Mei is not that different from McCree in the sense that their ideal range is quite close and within that range they can force a kill. I would agree that most characters don't have that capability, but I'm not sure it's fundamentally broken.

Frimaire

Damn, I've been really lucky with my Loot boxes lately.
My last one had the Sigrun Mercy skin, and the one before that had a legendary 500 coins.

R0ckman

If you think about her main weapon, it's kind of antithetical to the concept of combat as a whole in the game. Overwatch isn't like Call of Duty where it takes just a couple of bullets to down an enemy. Some characters obviously make mincemeat out of others, but on the whole spotting enemies, trading some blows and continuing to engage, retreat, maybe use the geometry around you to your advantage, are generally your options.

Mei doesn't have any of that. If she engages you, by definition she removes both your mobility and your ability to attack. Your options are reduced to zero. You can't reciprocate in any way either, since you shooting at her while you start to slow down doesn't do anything to stop her from freezing you. In other words, if she engages you, literally the only way to prevent your death is to outright kill her. The fact that she can very, very easily force you into this "you or I die, NOW!" state makes her an incredibly odd choice for a character in a game like this.

I'm not gonna be calling her OP or whatever, because there's no real reason to believe she wrecks everyone else in the grand scheme of things. But conceptually she seems confusing. I'm hard pressed to find Blizzard's intended rationale in terms of what an encounter with an enemy Mei is supposed to be. She has a one-dimensional "I will freeze you" relationship with every other character in the game. They all freeze in the same way/rate and you kill them in the same way once they're frozen. Molten Core'd Torb is just about the only character with any semblance of a counter, and it's not even that I'm looking for a counter so much as any sort of "wrinkle" to give the freeze ray any kind of nuance or dimensionality with regards to the other characters.

What would be the disadvantage of making it so that she constantly has to be hitting you with it for the freeze status to take effect? In other words why is the freeze counter not designed to rapidly go down (just as rapidly as it raises) if she misses?

On PS4 even after getting to lvl 32 I still find the aiming deadzone and snap really hard to both fine tune a shot but also respond to a quick pan movement.

So far I have sort of settled with 40h/15v and for widowmaker zoom 35.

Anyone have any tips or a better setting to try?

BigDug13

I am very interested as to what kind of nerfs are being planned for him. Cooldown on fan the hammer? Remove reloading from his roll? Slow instead of stunlock on the flashbang?

All of the above? Even with two of those nerfs, he'd still be a very strong attacker; just more situational. I'd wager the FTH cooldown is most likely, though.

He's a cowboy. It shouldn't be a flash bang, it should be something like throwing dirt in the eye. Requires direct hit on front of opponent and is single target. Still instant win if he gets the jump.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
On PS4 even after getting to lvl 32 I still find the aiming deadzone and snap really hard to both fine tune a shot but also respond to a quick pan movement.

So far I have sort of settled with 40h/15v and for widowmaker zoom 35.

Anyone have any tips or a better setting to try?

That's why I didn't buy the game on consoles. I tried a lot of sensibilities and never could get the right one

nOoblet16

These guys picking their """mains""" are the worst, every single match they pick the same character and contribute nothing because they're too busy getting their asses kicked, then complain in chat and I'm just like
LA4dI9d.gif

It's always D.Va too, something about her just makes people refuse to switch no matter how terrible they're doing.

Waifu.
I have the exact same annoyance, it's even worse because they don't know how to play her in the handful of situations she's effective in either.

Instead they'll go fight other tanks on point.

Sorral

I killed two Pharahs in-door in the same room on Tracer last night on Numbani. Some people walk around on Pharah almost all the time, which is sad to see. I don't get it.

Also, got a legendary Pirate skin for Roadhog. Been using him at choke points in Temple of Anubis and Dorado maps.

I haven't played with Mei myself yet but people who know her skill set can dominate defence objectives, her main freeze attack used with heal can nullify most attacks. If she has a turret or a bastion supporting her they can clean up. A lot of people I have seen use her seem to stay mid range and stick to the periphery as if she was Hanzo which makes no sense. That seems to be a recurring problem of people just not playing the role. Observing Tracers hang back is so frustrating.

Late reply but anyhow: She's really good at stopping a payload for a while and delaying the enemy team. She definitely loses some of her potentional if she is being used at midrange even if her headshots do so much damage. I would rather put a wall and get the enemy to be in my freeze range or flank to get their support first.

But man, I do love putting walls in front of a tier 3 turrent, high noon, etc or using my ult to freeze a group behind a payload only so they get ult'd by a Hanzo or a Reaper. You can feel the rage at Mei when they come back lol. I would not play Arcade in its current state though...going against 5 Meis + 1 Sym was painful as I was on Pharah and I just saw my teammates get decimated while I was flying.

It also forces McCree to become a midrange Offensive hero, which is what was intended of him in the first place.

What would be a reasonable cooldown? 10-12 seconds? Helix rockets are far weaker (and require quite a bit more aim) than FTH, and that's around the same cooldown time. Seems reasonable, if you ask me.
Helix is 8 seconds. You could do the same for FTH.

He's a cowboy. It shouldn't be a flash bang, it should be something like throwing dirt in the eye. Requires direct hit on front of opponent and is single target. Still instant win if he gets the jump.

Sounds good. Maybe reduce its range, too? A common panic strat for McFlashbang is to (at his optimal single-fire range) flash, roll, and FTH. If his flash was nerfed so he had to roll, flash, then FTH, it's suddenly a lot less frustrating, because now you can read and respond to it instead of being stunned from five meters away and killed before you had a chance to even realize what was happening.

Junker is sooooo gooooood. Should've been the base skin tbh

Doesn't fit in with her lore, of course. Just like the excellent Islander skin for Roadhog or Blanco skin for Reaper. They're hilarious, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I'm not gonna be calling her OP or whatever, because there's no real reason to believe she wrecks everyone else in the grand scheme of things. But conceptually she seems confusing. I'm hard pressed to find Blizzard's intended rationale in terms of what an encounter with an enemy Mei is supposed to be. She has a one-dimensional "I will freeze you" relationship with every other character in the game. They all freeze in the same way/rate and you kill them in the same way once they're frozen. Molten Core'd Torb is just about the only character with any semblance of a counter, and it's not even that I'm looking for a counter so much as any sort of "wrinkle" to give the freeze ray any kind of nuance or dimensionality with regards to the other characters.

Like you do know the range of the freeze isn't that long right?

Just don't engage with her close up.

Her icicle shot is good but it's not going to outgun a soldier, pharah, junkrat, or even mechless d.va honestly.

McCree does basically the same thing with flashbang > FtH except he's actually way more deadly with it.

Animator

I would like to see them buff D.va's ult a little. It takes too long to blow up and Reinhart shouldnt be able to completely block it and not even take any damage on his shield. At least make it so I can bring down his shield with the explosion.

That's why I didn't buy the game on consoles. I tried a lot of sensibilities and never could get the right one

Ya mouse and keyboard would be like night and day vs controller on ps4 =/

I wish we could edit the deadzone and acceleration curve or something to our liking.

I honestly went PS4 because I knew PC would be hacked to hell and well the game makes me salty as it is I couldn't handle having people aim and wall hacking on top of it lol.

Just don't engage with her close up.

"Don't fight this character" is not the solution to a problem. If they're not fun to play against, something other than "run away" must be considered as an alternative. Mei does need some changes, but they shouldn't be significant. She's not OP, she's just irritating and anti-fun.

R0ckman

I see McCree a lot and not a lot of people are good with him on PC, I play with a controller sometimes and use McCree and do pretty well if I'm patient, know who to target and when to check for that ol 12:00 on the watch.

I run circles around him as Tracer and he's a joke if I'm using Genji. I don't really engage him much as other characters. Sometimes Winston if I get the jump on him and bait his flashbang into my shield.

I had enough for a legendary D.Va skin, but I don't love the look of D.VA herself in any of them. Also, the design of her base mech is just as cool as either of the alternate models. I ended up buying Carbon Fiber. The mech looks badass and I really like the coloring on her suit.

pigeon

Banned
For those who care, Mei's strongest counters are probably Pharah, Zarya, and Reaper. All three can escape a freeze in progress (Pharah can jump out, Zarya can shield herself, Reaper can mistform).

Reaper and Zarya also outdamage Mei at her optimal range, while Pharah can also jump over Mei's ice wall, further reducing her impact.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Reinhardt is fucking amazing as an aggresive fighter, its a shame that many people just use him as a shield. I like to charge down right into the enemy group and drag one of their players back behind their lines, 2-3 people always give up on the objective to try and chase me. Meanwhile, I can use the fireball and hammer to wound the chasers before I die, and then they have to chase for health packs and waste even more time.

Just was on defense where the other team mowed through all the points (payload) but the last one. They were 3 meters away from beating us, but we pushed them back and kept them back for about 5 solid minutes. I did try Mercy, but no one around to heal, so someone switched off of Tor and I switched to him and lo and behold, it really helped keep them back. We keep them off for 5 solid minutes on the last point and won. Fuck yeah :).

Reinhardt is fucking amazing as an aggresive fighter, its a shame that many people just use him as a shield. I like to charge down right into the enemy group and drag one of their players back behind their lines, 2-3 people always give up on the objective to try and chase me. Meanwhile, I can use the fireball and hammer to wound the chasers before I die, and then they have to chase for health packs and waste even more time.

I love playing the shield for everyone to start, then when I get close, hammer the fuck out of shit.

I would like to see them buff D.va's ult a little. It takes too long to blow up and Reinhart shouldnt be able to completely block it and not even take any damage on his shield. At least make it so I can bring down his shield with the explosion.

I'm fine with it as it is. I no longer expect kills with it, I just use it as crowd control or a free extra life. If it didn't take so long to detonate I'd end up killing myself more often, lol.

Mognet

why are majority of the games played one sided? win or lose it's usually one team getting absolutely demolished.

I run circles around him as Tracer and he's a joke if I'm using Genji. I don't really engaged him much as other characters. Sometimes Winston if I get the jump on him and bait his flashbamg into my shield.

He's designed as a counter to those two particular heroes, so the ones you were facing were definitely bad McCrees. All he needs to do is flashbang in your general direction, and you're toast.

As for Winston, it's flash-fan-roll-fan or fan-roll-flash-fan (that's how he melts tanks in general). Even a halfwit can utilize him effectively to some extent. A McCree with half a brain is just going to walk through your barrier and flash you inside of it.

Popping in to say something about McCree, glad to hear he's getting adjusted. I'm fine with most characters, even Bastion once people worked out Genji's reflect murdering turret mode (although I think Bastion still needs some adjustments, there's a lot they have to work with including reload times, cooldowns on repairs, maybe even slowly ticking down health in Turret Mode). McCree's almost boring to go against, because they all do the same thing over and over, and robbing movement entirely is frustrating. Even Mei's gives you time to realize what's happening and try to stop her or special dash away. Junkrat's traps are obvious and destructable.

Would be nice if there was better feedback on damage from Symmetra's mini-turrets too, or a TF2-style "alert" noise. Half the time I don't even notice they're hitting me if I'm engaged with an enemy. Then I see the replay and there's 4 laser beams shooting at my back.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"Don't fight this character" is not the solution to a problem. If they're not fun to play against, something other than "run away" must be considered as an alternative. Mei does need some changes, but they shouldn't be significant. She's not OP, she's just irritating and anti-fun.

No, engage mid-range, out of the range of her freeze spray. Stop getting baited and you can outrange her easily.

Hell, I fucking destroy opposing Mei's with roadhog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom