• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
"Don't fight this character" is not the solution to a problem. If they're not fun to play against, something other than "run away" must be considered as an alternative. Mei does need some changes, but they shouldn't be significant. She's not OP, she's just irritating and anti-fun.

"Don't fight Mei at melee range" is not the same as "don't fight Mei." Is Widowmaker an anti-fun character because people can't duel her at sniper range?

Firebrand

Loot Crate Number 31.

Two sprays and two player icons.

jP2uF8y.png
That's been most of my crates I think... last one at 32 or 33 was the best one in a long while, and it was epic Genji emote and epic coins. :|.

why are majority of the games played one sided? win or lose it's usually one team getting absolutely demolished.

MMR evens out eventually. You'll still run into bad teammates, but I've noticed matches tend to be far less lopsided. With that said, lots of maps (particularly the ever-loathed Hollywood) tend to make capturing A a giant pain in the ass, so don't be surprised if that happens.

They really need to extend the inactivity timer on the PS4 to something reasonable. The fact that I can't even go for a piss between matches without being booted for inactivity is a joke. I've now got the "Repeatedly leaving matches early will result in a penalty" message on my main screen because of it. I don't think I've ever left a match intentionally either.

pigeon

Banned
They really need to extend the inactivity timer on the PS4 to something reasonable. The fact that I can't even go for a piss between matches without being booted for inactivity is a joke. I've now got the "Repeatedly leaving matches early will result in a penalty" message on my main screen because of it. I don't think I've ever left a match intentionally either.

Why would you not leave your match before going to pee?

I had enough for a legendary D.Va skin, but I don't love the look of D.VA herself in any of them. Also, the design of her base mech is just as cool as either of the alternate models. I ended up buying Carbon Fiber. The mech looks badass and I really like the coloring on her suit.

I like Lemon-Lime, Carbon Fiber, and B. Va. Those three are my favorites for her and obviously the three I own, lol.

"Don't fight Mei at melee range" is not the same as "don't fight Mei." Is Widowmaker an anti-fun character because people can't duel her at sniper range?

A lot of the time, you don't have the option to disengage from a battle with Mei. She'll turn a corner and you'll be frozen before you can turn tail and run. Does that mean she's unfair? No, of course not. But it does mean engagements with her aren't always up to you, and the fact that she wins half the ambushes by completely robbing you of any options is really frustrating.

Pyro in TF2 had a similar ethos, but Pyro won battles through airblasts and damage over time, keeping up the pressure during an ambush by completely throwing you off your game. It's a different kind of antagonistic design, but one that favors both players by giving them both agency (but still prioritizing the Pyro because they had the initiative).

It's not that you "don't engage the Pyro", either; sometimes you don't have the option. But as I said, Pyro doesn't completely rob you of options when you're ambushed. You can still respond and punish them for being callous if they're not prepared. Mei doesn't give you that opportunity, which is really goddamn frustrating.

Novocaine

Decided to pick it up today despite still needing to finish Doom. Played half a dozen games. Reinhardt's my boy so far. I also liked Pharah and Zenyatta.

Sorral

Mei is such a frustrating character in general.

Snip

- Zarya's shield stops the freeze
- Tracer's dash gets her out even from Mei's ult
- Pharah can fly out of range
- Junkrat's mine pushes her or himself away from her freeze
And more. It's not as simple as "she is freezing you, therefore you're dead." I have had widowmakers that used their hook to get out of my gun's range. At this point, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people don't utilize any of the above.

Murdoch

Popping in to say something about McCree, glad to hear he's getting adjusted. I'm fine with most characters, even Bastion once people worked out Genji's reflect murdering turret mode (although I think Bastion still needs some adjustments, there's a lot they have to work with including reload times, cooldowns on repairs, maybe even slowly ticking down health in Turret Mode). McCree's almost boring to go against, because they all do the same thing over and over, and robbing movement entirely is frustrating. Even Mei's gives you time to realize what's happening and try to stop her or special dash away. Junkrat's traps are obvious and destructable.

Would be nice if there was better feedback on damage from Symmetra's mini-turrets too, or a TF2-style "alert" noise. Half the time I don't even notice they're hitting me if I'm engaged with an enemy. Then I see the replay and there's 4 laser beams shooting at my back.

Do you have the quote from Blizzard to state they are adjusting him? What specifically are they changing?

Blizzard

Banned
- Zarya's shield stops the freeze
- Tracer's dash gets her out even from Mei's ult
- Pharah can fly out of range
- Junkrat's mine pushes her or himself away from her freeze
And more. It's not as simple as "she is freezing you, therefore you're dead." I have had widowmakers that used their hook to get out of my gun's range. At this point, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people don't utilize any of the above.
Also, Torbjorn's ult makes him immune to all the slow/freeze/ult effects.

eek5

I just had a PotG as junkrat where all I had was a 15 elimination. So weird. There must've been nothing going on that round

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I used to hate genji's ult but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

It's all about using it to kill crucial targets in big team fights where you're likely to get a few good swings in.

Using it in duels is kind of messy since you risk them just bailing out as soon as they hear your chant leading you to waste it completely or you just get killed because it has a long charge up before you get get the first swing out.

I still think you should be allowed to cancel it and get back 50% of meter like you can with high noon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A lot of the time, you don't have the option to disengage from a battle with Mei. She'll turn a corner and you'll be frozen before you can turn tail and run. Does that mean she's unfair? No, of course not. But it does mean engagements with her aren't always up to you, and the fact that she wins half the ambushes by completely robbing you of any options is really frustrating.

Pyro in TF2 had a similar ethos, but Pyro won battles through airblasts and damage over time, keeping up the pressure during an ambush by completely throwing you off your game. It's a different kind of antagonistic design, but one that favors both players by giving them both agency (but still prioritizing the Pyro because they had the initiative).

It's not that you "don't engage the Pyro", either; sometimes you don't have the option. But as I said, Pyro doesn't completely rob you of options when you're ambushed. You can still respond and punish them for being callous if they're not prepared. Mei doesn't give you that opportunity, which is really goddamn frustrating.

But really, how is that any different from mccree coming up behind you and flashbang > FtH?

Blizzard

Banned
Popping in to say something about McCree, glad to hear he's getting adjusted. I'm fine with most characters, even Bastion once people worked out Genji's reflect murdering turret mode (although I think Bastion still needs some adjustments, there's a lot they have to work with including reload times, cooldowns on repairs, maybe even slowly ticking down health in Turret Mode). McCree's almost boring to go against, because they all do the same thing over and over, and robbing movement entirely is frustrating. Even Mei's gives you time to realize what's happening and try to stop her or special dash away. Junkrat's traps are obvious and destructable.
I'd like there to be at least one hard counter to Tracer. If flashbangs aren't it, then I don't know what is the answer. Her dash or rewind can escape virtually anything else besides a sniper who's lucky enough to be far away, or possibly a lucky push/chain.

Why would you not leave your match before going to pee?

Most games are reasonable in that you have time to do your business before getting into the next match which saves me time by not having to requeue. I've come back to Overwatch after barely a minute or two only to see the "You are about to be kicked for inactivity" on the starting choose your hero screen before the match has even started. The timer should start once the match has started, not while loading into the next match and choosing my initial hero at the start.

I'm all for efficiency but this is crazy.

ElyrionX

The clinking sound that occasionally pops up when you shoot at someone, what is it?

And how does that game determine eliminations? It's clearly not the last hit. Is it majority of damage dealt?

Do you have the quote from Blizzard to state they are adjusting him? What specifically are they changing?

Nothing from Blizzard atm but they have nerfed him before in beta. It's hard to say though because I think there should be more time for more new ideas to come out, even Seagull says that teams will eventually find a better team comp than 2 mccrees and it's back to "lets nerf that now"

Tubie

It's almost 4 and I have to be up in 4 hours and I just wanna keep playing.

I basically just started playing today since I had to ignore the game for most of last week, but now I get why people are getting so addicted to this.

Murdoch

The clinking sound that occasionally pops up when you shoot at someone, what is it?

And how does that game determine eliminations? It's clearly not the last hit. Is it majority of damage dealt?

Clinking noise is a headshot. Eliminations are any involvement in a kill (it's refreshingly generous) the points after the elimination are normally the percentage of the damage dealt.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Any pointers? He's the one character I struggle with.

What I found to be crucial to being handy with winston is focus on being the center of attention while also being the most annoying guy in the room.

Your tesla gun does low damage but it's constant and auto aims, it can also shred through almost any character in the offense and support categorys really quickly.

Don't focus too much on doing damage but just hold the trigger down and jump pack around the room while throwing your shield randomly and then ult when you need to clear a site. Winston is definitely one of the most useful tanks.

Most games are reasonable in that you have time to do your business before getting into the next match which saves me time by not having to requeue. I've come back to Overwatch after barely a minute or two only to see the "You are about to be kicked for inactivity" on the starting choose your hero screen before the match has even started. The timer should start once the match has started, not while loading into the next match and choosing my initial hero at the start.

I'm all for efficiency but this is crazy.

I'm glad the timer is as strict as it is. I like matches starting promptly, and I like not starting a game down a man because somebody is AFK. If you have something to do leave the queue for a minute. I do it all the time. So far, the game has always been there when I got back.

But really, how is that any different from mccree coming up behind you and flashbang > FtH?

Because McCree can instantly stun and kill you while Mei at least gives you some time to respond if you're a certain hero. McFlashbang? The only heroes mobile enough to survive the initial burst and evade him are D. Va and Winston, both of which fall to a ranged poke, assuming you're the only one doing damage to them.

The design ethos behind Mei is completely different from that of McCree. But rather than being difficult to contend with in a 1v1 like Mei, McCree can literally win all of those battles as long as he engages with a cool head.

Tanks? Fan-flash-roll-fan. Anyone else? Flash-fan. It's brainless and stops the game's pacing when a McCree rolls in from out of nowhere, stuns you from a stupidly long range, rolls in, and fans you down. All he needs to do is wait on a brief flashbang cooldown, and he can do it again. And again. And again.

Not to mention McCree's ultimate locks down an area for six seconds, and he can cancel it for 50% charge. Additionally, he's actually really strong at midrange combat; so strong, in fact, that with good accuracy, you can put down 200HP heroes down with a bodyshot and a headshot (not that most McCree players realize this, because they're so busy cheesing his dominant strategy).

The fact that he's so dominant at a range and up-close, in addition to his very forgiving ult (compared to pretty much every other ult in the game) is why he's so popular in competitive Overwatch. He's got a pickrate of approximately 120%, meaning he's present on every team, and often picked twice, because he's just that good.

Volodja

I'd say something like "have you hit the guy recently before he died? If you did, you get an elimination."
Eliminations are sharedand everybody participating in the kill get it. Killing blows aren't and they are proper kills, but they aren't among the big medal-rewarding stats.

Hasney

How long does it take you to pee? This hasn't happened to me yet and I was drinking beers while playing on Saturday.

pigeon

Banned

I've posted this before, but in the sense that Overwatch is a design commentary on TF2 balance, Mei is a pretty straightforward statement that Pyro was just a badly designed character relative to the rest of the crew. There's a reason he very rarely showed up in competitive, and it's because, while he may have felt fair to the receiver, he was pretty terrible to play because you had to work way harder than everybody else. Note that I have lousy aim so I played quite a bit of Pyro.

I just can't agree with your first paragraph. It takes two seconds or so for Mei to freeze you. If you're unable to react in that time, then you probably shouldn't be taking that corner by yourself. Mei has zero mobility options. You can actually have a reasonable idea of generally where she might be at all times.

If you're having that much frustration with Mei I would just recommend switching to one of the characters that beats her for free. I know that there are a bunch of people who find her intolerable but I have to say I very rarely find anything she does unfair, unless I'm against a really good Mei.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I opened a lootbox and got a legendary coin pack...
FINALLY

it is mine <3

So cool! D.Va doesn't need to be waifu material, she's just a great design, and these costumes are baller.

I see you're lvl 18. At what point do you start getting legendary stuff?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So cool! D.Va doesn't need to be waifu material, she's just a great design, and these costumes are baller.

I see you're lvl 18. At what point do you start getting legendary stuff?

I actually was pretty lucky with my legendaries. except for one I already have every Tracer legendary for example. So I got them straight from the start, my second loot box was one for example

Mognet

MMR evens out eventually. You'll still run into bad teammates, but I've noticed matches tend to be far less lopsided. With that said, lots of maps (particularly the ever-loathed Hollywood) tend to make capturing A a giant pain in the ass, so don't be surprised if that happens.

right, thanks. feelings of dread come to me the moment i see those loading screens of some maps, although i must be a masochist since i love playing both sides of anubis.

MMR is a new term to me since i started playing the overwatch beta but i guess i'll look it up so i understand it better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Because McCree can instantly stun and kill you while Mei at least gives you some time to respond if you're a certain hero. McFlashbang? The only heroes mobile enough to survive the initial burst and evade him are D. Va and Winston, both of which fall to a ranged poke, assuming you're the only one doing damage to them.

The design ethos behind Mei is completely different from that of McCree. But rather than being difficult to contend with in a 1v1 like Mei, McCree can literally win all of those battles as long as he engages with a cool head.

Tanks? Fan-flash-roll-fan. Anyone else? Flash-fan. It's brainless and stops the game's pacing when a McCree rolls in from out of nowhere, stuns you from a stupidly long range, rolls in, and fans you down. All he needs to do is wait on a brief flashbang cooldown, and he can do it again. And again. And again.

Not to mention McCree's ultimate locks down an area for six seconds, and he can cancel it for 50% charge. Additionally, he's actually really strong at midrange combat; so strong, in fact, that with good accuracy, you can put down 200HP heroes down with a bodyshot and a headshot (not that most McCree players realize this, because they're so busy cheesing his dominant strategy).

The fact that he's so dominant at a range and up-close, in addition to his very forgiving ult (compared to pretty much every other ult in the game) is why he's so popular in competitive Overwatch. He's got a pickrate of approximately 120%, meaning he's present on every team, and often picked twice, because he's just that good.

I know all that, I'm just wondering why people are getting annoyed at Mei for the one thing she's not even the best at.

She's a hero meant to control the area and movement through that area. It's a perfectly good design to have in a game where movement plays an important part. Not everything has to go everyone's way to be considered good design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom