• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see something like this being implemented in the competitive mode, but for unranked, it would just be removing an option for no reason. If you decide to play 6 of the same hero and lose, you most likely instantly know exactly what went wrong. If you can't deal with 6 of the same hero on the enemy team, then you probably deserved to lose.

Ranked or not a mode like that would be great.

It's not just a vague git gud, it's change heroes or your tactics according to the situation. If an enemy team is dedicating all of their resources to one hero and strategy, then you can't expect to be able to go up against it solo or even two man it. And everyone goes for the damage dealers, when infact the goal should be to get the support first and use a hero and strategy that can effectively take out the support fast.

no, it would hurt the character. And you say you dont always have a ult ready, well they dont always have a turret ready after you blow it up. And if the problem is their team is communicating and playinjg classes to cover each other (I assume you mean a Rein covering a turret? or multiple turrets? because thats not bait for junkrat tire, hanzo dragons, dva nuke, pharah missiles, etc?) then your team should do the same no?

Turrets and Bastion are pug killers and nothing else. And yes, ive lost games to tors and bastions myself, plenty of them. Not NEARLT as many as I lost because of a good Mcree, a good Widow, a good Tracer, a good Hanzo, etc. And im not even saying those characters need a nerf (*cough*mcree*cough*).

Sometimes "git gud" is real, sometimes you do need to get better at the games, know routes to flank, get better at counter picking, etc. Just go back a few pages and alot of "turrets are OP blargh" posts are acompanied by "I just started playing this and I notice...". Its Bastion week 1 all over again until people learned to deal with him.

Well:

And if an enemy team, which in my case could very well be called that, is worse, as in not even somehow able to defend the waypoints of the payload before the last one in any way, yet can still win by sitting it out with turrets, bastion and support, i'd call that somehow broken and should be adressed. As a random team in a public match you can't always expect team communication and organisation to be top notch.

Had my best game as Pharah on Lijiang Tower today.

6ragr8b.jpg

Braag

-More noticeable deflect activation for Genji so you can tell its active before shooting him

This is one of the easiest things to notice. There's a huge flashing effect infront of him when he uses deflect.
The thing is that most good Genji players use deflect after you have started shooting at him so it's too late by then.
The bad ones jump infront of you and use deflect immediately so you just stand there and wait until it's over and then shoot him into oblivion.

peakish

I could see something like this being implemented in the competitive mode, but for unranked, it would just be removing an option for no reason. If you decide to play 6 of the same hero and lose, you most likely instantly know exactly what went wrong. If you can't deal with 6 of the same hero on the enemy team, then you probably deserved to lose.
It's definitely difficult to deal with new situations, like these super stacked teams which have some counter but you don't have a lot of time to figure it out and coordinate with your team members about it. But that's just the nature of the game to me *shrug* Unless it becomes more than a novelty strategy that you see once every twenty games I can't be bothered to complain about it.

I kind of want to roll all S76 sometime, I can just see how that much DPS and speed snowballs against a team that isn't prepared.

Dad

see this is a good example. You flew out into the open (im surprised you didnt get sniped out of the air by a widow or hanzo tbh) and got caught, you had 46 health left, and instead of backing up and getting your health back (your spawn was right there), you try to sneak around with no health and get killed through the crack in the train

To be fair, the first turret probably would have just chewed up the last of his health the second he got off that train anyway

Gator86

Honestly, I hope they leave turrets alone. I have to switch to Torb every single game with a Tracer lately, otherwise my random teammates will be killed dozens of times in minutes. They're completely helpless and it's just joyless to watch them die repeatedly until the game ends.

nOoblet16

To be fair, the first turret probably would have just chewed up the last of his health the second he got off that train anyway
He could have used concussion blast to propeller himself towards the spawn.

In any case he should have fired at the first turret before going up in the air openly with a turret active at him.

Klyka

Banned
King's Row attack.

I am Tracer.
The payload is at the every end, we just need one more push.
We are in Overtime.

I blink around the back, throw my Ult into a group. Triple Kill.
I blink around the corner and kill a Widowmaker.
I then turn around and kill a Zenyatta who just came out of spawn.
TEAM KILL rings in my ears.

We push in the payload and win.

The Play of The Game was the losing team's Widowmaker sniping two people at the start of the match.

King's Row attack.

I am Tracer.
We are in Overtime.

The Play of The Game was the losing team's Widowmaker sniping two people at the start of the match.

PoTG could be more intelligent for sure :(

elyetis

Turrets definitely need a nerf. With 3 turrets and a Bastion it was basically impossible to do the final push on King's Crossing. We tried a ton and just kept getting fucking hamfisted by the excessive fire from the turrets+bastion in the narrow feeding.
Worst I had was 2 Bastion + 2 Torbjörn + Reinhardt + mercy on last point of Hanamura.
I have no doubt that an organized group could defeat that. But a pub match full of random people.. it wasn't nice to look at.

nOoblet16

I actually dislike Lucio's speed mode for anything other than getting back to the fight quicker or avoiding enemy ultimates. Because it fucks up my aim and positioning when I am trying to move around.

Get this, in Lijiang tower I am strafing in a fight against someone, then Lucio switches to speed and I end up walking off the tower. :/

King's Row attack.

I am Tracer.
We are in Overtime.

9691496.jpg

Zemm

I fucking love that after 1 week people think that a base design pillar of the game aka "more than one same hero per team" (in a game that has been in beta for MONTHS being played by pros for MONTHS) needs to be changed.

Like, sure guys, yeah, Blizzard totally fucked up here, they completely missed that a key design of their game "ruins the game".

Tbf even the competitive tournaments are starting to put a cap on character selection, and those are the guys who have played since early beta. I wouldn't want it in quick play though because people will just feed the other team kills if they can't pick their precious Hanzo.

I actually dislike Lucio's speed mode for anything other than getting back to the fight quicker or avoiding enemy ultimates. Because it fucks up my aim and positioning when I am trying to move around.

Get this, in Liajuang tower I am strafing in a fight against someone, then Lucio switches to speed and I end up walking off the tower. :/

Speed mode is only for rushing to objective from spawn. For me anyway.

Xater

Tbf even the competitive tournaments are starting to put a cap on character selection, and those are the guys who have played since early beta. I wouldn't want it in quick play though because people will just feed the other team kills if they can't pick their precious Hanzo.

Those people that have a precious Hanzo were going to suck anyway. I'd love a character limit. I'd settle for 2 but 1 would be even better.

nOoblet16

Worst I had was 2 Bastion + 2 Torbjörn + Reinhardt + mercy on last point of Hanamura.
I have no doubt that an organized group could defeat that. But a pub match full of random people.. it wasn't nice to look at.
This is more to do with how shit the maps are tbh, having the enemy spawn right next to the final checkpoint in payload is an unavoidable decision since the objective is always moving.

But in maps with CP mode it makes no sense, the spawn room should be separated slightly from the last CP because this is what makes defense so strong in most if not all maps. It's worse than TF2 here in this area.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh and btw I agree with the character limit, but mostly because I like diversion. Hell I think it should be limtied to 1, but we would need double the amount of heroes moba style for that probably

Hyun Sai

This is more to do with how shit the maps are tbh, having the enemy spawn right next to the final checkpoint in payload is an unavoidable decision since the objective is always moving.

But in maps with CP mode it makes no sense, the spawn room should be separated slightly from the last CP because this is what makes defense so strong in most if not all maps. It's worse than TF2 here in this area.

You think they should increase defenders respawn time when we're near that last CP ?

Xater

oh and btw I agree with the character limit, but mostly because I like diversion. Hell I think it should be limtied to 1, but we would need double the amount of heroes moba style for that probably

Considering there are at at least 3 for each role, the amount of heroes is enough and will just grow.

Dad

Get this, in Lijiang tower I am strafing in a fight against someone, then Lucio switches to speed and I end up walking off the tower. :/

I had a friendly Lucio unexpectedly switch to speedmode right in the middle of our Reinhardt push and sent all of us accidentally flying in random directions. Wasn't a huge fan

Moff

it's starting to bother me that I don't have nearly as much fun with other characters than mercy. Sometimes I'd just like to kill people, I even started doing it with mercy. I'm not that terrible with farah, roadhog, torbjörn, tracer and genji and I'll do the reinhardt if the team needs one. but nothing feels as good as mercy. flying around and healing people up is so much fun and I feel super valuable for the team. who cares about torbjörns 20 turret eliminations when I healed the equivalent of 30 - 50 deaths with mercy? I had a 4rezz POTG yesterday and several legendary votes, feels just too good.

nOoblet16

King's Row attack.

I am Tracer.
We are in Overtime.

You most likely didn't kill more than two people then and got assists instead. If you killed 3 and the widow maker killed 2 it would have gone to you without question.

elyetis

It pretty much mean that you need a team wipe to win, or hope that if there is still 1-2 ennemy left, they won't contest the zone to give time to their allies to respawn ( where mei and tracer shine ).

I wonder if the defense/offense winrate ratio still end up close to 50%.

I would honestly play Ilios, Nepal and Lijiang only ( or at least, far more than the others ) if I was given the choice.

nOoblet16

You think they should increase defenders respawn time when we're near that last CP ?
Yep, that's one way to do it.
It's terribly unbalanced otherwise considering how far attackers have to walk...along with the respawn time they have.

While we are at it, I am also not a fan of how the defense spawn point for the first checkpoint in CP mode is the very last CP. The way it should work is that for the first point both team's spawns should be equal distance to objective. After it's captured the spawns change, attackers go forwards and defenders of backwards to the last CP, they they can increase the spawn timer for defenders.

It does not make sense for all of the timers to be symmetrical while the map design is not.

Matt Frost

My current D.vawatch stats. I dropped down to #4 D.Va on PS4, and I don't think I'll be able to reclaim the #1 spot... =(

You need to play more with her, the only stat that counts for those leaderboards is "total time played with ____" so just start using D.Va again and you will hit #1 again.

Klyka

Banned
You most likely didn't kill more than two people then and got assists instead. If you killed 3 and the widow maker killed 2 it would have gone to you without question.

I got a 100 kill in the triple kill and I did 100 on both the Widowmaker and the Zenyatta.
My team wasn't anywhere close to them.

KyleCross

The last two days have been pretty fucking awesome. This is my first real MP gaming experience. I of course have played MP before, but only in games where it was a side mode for a singleplayer game, and never for extended periods of time. The hype for this game got the better of me and I took a crazy chance on buying it; a MP only game for someone who dislikes MP. I started turning on it as well, after having played it for about 5 days I, tho addicted, grew frustrated with the game as often times defeats seem like they were the result of poor teamwork... which makes sense as I only played with randoms. I never really played MP much as I mentioned so it isn't like I had friends on PSN to play with. The game had stopped being fun, it was just frustrating...

But that's where you came in, GAF. I joined the Overwatch GAF community on PSN and through that have been in parties and it has been incredible. What a difference it makes. Even when defeat happens, much of the frustration is gone as it is a genuine loss that you know you and your team did your best at. I'm anti-Mic conversation; yet here I am talking through one and collaborating with my other teammates. Many of who I've added to my friends list and play with every night.

This is great.

Fwiw, if you hear team kill, everyone on your team hears team kill. It's not quite the same as the 'double/triple/quadruple/quintuple kill' announcements.

This is great.

That is great. I've only played with one gafer (that I met through gaf) but I've been playing with a lot of other friends, and it makes this game an absolute blast. I enjoy solo play, but playing with an organized group of people, whether serious or laid back, is always such a pleasure. I'm glad you're having such an awesome (and new!) experience.

I know.
I just pointed it out to show that we had just killed the entire team.

Figured. Sorry to play captain obvious.

I've got enough for one of the fancy skins now. Not really sure which one to get. Not a huge Reaper fan but that Mariachi skin is too fly

I don't mind Pharah's preorder skin so I think I can hold off on one of hers for now.

Xater

The last two days have been pretty fucking awesome. This is my first real MP gaming experience. I of course have played MP before, but only in games where it was a side mode for a singleplayer game, and never for extended periods of time. The hype for this game got the better of me and I took a crazy chance on buying it; a MP only game for someone who dislikes MP. I started turning on it as well, after having played it for about 5 days I, tho addicted, grew frustrated with the game as often times defeats seem like they were the result of poor teamwork... which makes sense as I only played with randoms. I never really played MP much as I mentioned so it isn't like I had friends on PSN to play with. The game had stopped being fun, it was just frustrating...

But that's where you came in, GAF. I joined the Overwatch GAF community on PSN and through that have been in parties and it has been incredible. What a difference it makes. Even when defeat happens, much of the frustration is gone as it is a genuine loss that you know you and your team did your best at. I'm anti-Mic conversation; yet here I am talking through one and collaborating with my other teammates. Many of who I've added to my friends list and play with every night.

This is great.

That is great to hear.

The PSN GAF community so far is great. Everyone tries there best but if we lose no one flips their shit. People just move on to the next match trying to do better.

Lupercal

Banned
Limiting char selection to 1 of each sounds pretty stupid and makes it a bit boring imo.

Last night we had a 4 Reinhardt push on one off the attack maps which would have never worked with the limit.

Is it annoying in pubs? Off course, but get a good team and you'll wreck anything.

Most people haven't realized that skill beats character.

Ken

I got a 100 kill in the triple kill and I did 100 on both the Widowmaker and the Zenyatta.
My team wasn't anywhere close to them.

maybe it rates defense class kills higher than offense class kills lol

or maybe bonus points for early kills

Murdoch

Does anyone have the link for the PS4 Overwatch Google docs link? I want to get myself added to the list as i'm keen to play with people from the board. Thanks in advance : )

Matt Frost

King's Row attack.

I am Tracer.
We are in Overtime.

Yeah, a few times I killed 4 or 5 in a row and the PotG goes to someone who killed two. PotG sometimes is kind of strange. I wish we could save the Highlights on the hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom