• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

bastions ok, turrets are her kryptonite... especially in some maps.

I love Pharah, I use her most of the time and love the constant skyrocketing in the air and bouncing around. ultimate is really powerful but you need to surprise the other team, you're very exposed in those situations.

Yea, need to know when to rain hell and when to stay low. She's great in attacking guys when they're distracted fighting your team.

R0ckman

I had a game last night where I was completely out of sync with my team as they would get killed and I managed to survive only until my team mates were about to arrive so then I had to run all by myself all the way to the point to help them out but by that time, guess what, everyone dead again. This happened over and over in that game.

What's the best strategy in those cases?

As someone one who has this happened frequently, nothing really, if they all wipe together over and over and you survive longer, you are simply the better player. You'll just go out of sync again.

His leap is on a 3 second cool down. It's critical to always be leaping. Winston is a tank that excels at causing chaos. Jump. Shied. Hit. Jump. Etc. His ultimate it also beastly as it heals you to full health and sends people flying.

If you run head in as him, you're going to get wrecked. Always leap behind, around, etc.

He's a hugely underrated hero. He does depend on good team synergy but can be unstoppable with good teamwork

This helped me get Winston a lot better, thank you. Pop in from the side, shield, zap them a little, then bounce off, leaving them going, "The fuck was that!?"

When I wait to pick a hero, it is usually to fill any holes in our lineup. I guess this doesn't apply to other people. Apparently, spamming Junkrat and Genji requires careful deliberation.

LiK

I see Pharah taking out turrets all the time (and often the dwarves foolish enough to keep hammering them), dunno what the trouble is

Turrets take down Pharahs fast, you can get off one or maybe two hits in the air before it shoots you down unless you have Mercy healing you. Always better to stay on the grounds and use cover against the turrets from my experience. For Bastion, I just go ham in the air and I can usually take them out or cause their health to go low enough that some players try to retreat into cover.

This game is destroying my life.

I need to hand in an 20 page paper in less than three weeks and didn't anything until now.
Can't stop watching and playing Overwatch ._.

PatjuhR

When I wait to pick a hero, it is usually to fill any holes in our lineup. I guess this doesn't apply to other people. Apparently, spamming Junkrat and Genji requires careful deliberation.

I did this the first hours I played Overwatch. Now I wanna try the different heroes outside of tanks/support and get some hero-related trophies.

Seems like the worst parts of TF2 are really starting to seep into the game already. Seen so many Pocket Mercy players who attatch themselves to one player and ignore the rest of the team. I get that it's fun to dick about with Pharra in the sky but it doesn't work out when you ignore the enemy team pushing the cart and leave everyone to die trying to stop them pushing it.

I dont play mercy much but when i do i only help the individuals who further the objective and let the rest rot in hell. My biggest problem with this game outside the random loot crate is the groups of people who are playing the game simply to get the highligt at the end. Lots of people run around the objective instead of holding it down. Now if a mercy player is one of those people, then thats a horrible mercy.

R0ckman

This helped me get Winston a lot better, thank you. Pop in from the side, shield, zap them a little, then bounce off, leaving them going, "The fuck was that!?"

Position the jumps so you jump just over the enemy team so they have to turn around and face you and take some damage from your team, you can get some kills, then if your sheild breaks or someone runs in jump back out.

LiK

If I play Mercy, I just heal whoever needs it near me. I will not fly towards guys who are far away doing whatever they're doing outside the objectives cuz fuck them. Want my heal? Stay near the team unless you're Tracer who's supposed to be fucking with the enemy teams anyway.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If I play Mercy, I just heal whoever needs it near me. I will not fly towards guys who are far away doing whatever they're doing outside the objectives cuz fuck them. Want my heal? Stay near the team unless you're Tracer who's supposed to be fucking with the enemy teams anyway.

There's a lot of characters that area meant to fuck around away from the team: D.VA, Tracer, Soldier 76, Mcree even. Basically every flanker won't be with the squad, but they need heals too. If there's a Torbjorn getting in, I'd ignore him though.

_Legacy_

Ha yes, so true! My group would wait on the random to pick last, takes his time then decides to McCree when we already have one or another duplicate. It's funny, yet you wonder what is going through the player's head. Don't get me wrong, sometimes duplicates strat work really well, other times I find it selfish.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when you wall off 2 enemies from touching your point in overtime and you win the game

giphy.gif

Any word on if brawls will net you a loot box for getting at least one win a week, like tavern brawl in Hearthstone?

I don't mind the loot case system but would like another method to get them than leveling up which will take longer and longer as you level up.

Ha yes, so true! My group would wait on the random to pick last, takes his time then decides to McCree when we already have one or another duplicate. It's funny, yet you wonder what is going through the player's head. Don't get me wrong, sometimes duplicates strat work really well, other times I find it selfish.

Yeah it's really lame. I was playing with a buddy and I and we noted that every group of randoms we played with would pick the non-essential roles first, forcing us to play tank and support if we wanted to win the game.

Not a very flexible team composition when you notice the first 4 slots fill up with McCree, Reaper and Genji.

Mercy with a good Pharrah is huge, split away from her for res but otherwise sometimes its okay to tail a particular player for the betterment of the team

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Any word on if brawls will net you a loot box for getting at least one win a week, like tavern brawl in Hearthstone?

I don't mind the loot case system but would like another method to get them than leveling up which will take longer and longer as you level up.

IIRC correctly they want to add a similar system in the future with daily quests.

Xater

At level 22 the amount of XP you need stays at 22000.

I don't use a mic but I'm in party chat to hear if the team has a plan/strategy and sometimes the chatter is hilarious. Even if I had a mic, I would barely talk anyways. You don't really need all 6 players to chat or it's a cacophony of noises.

Every individual in a lobby has important call outs to make. No one is saying that you need to chat over one another all of the time, but to not make use of the chat at all places yourself and your team at a significant disadvantage.

I'm really not interested in playing with people that don't use a mic in this game. It's such a huge disadvantage and at the same time communication is a large division of the games depth that players need to progressively get better at with time, without practice those that don't communicate will become worse and worse at the game, as the community around them learn to communicate and coordinate effectively through said communication.

burn.money

Neo Member

the xp requirement is supposed to cap at lvl 25 and stay the same all the way to lvl 100... then it all resets when you rank up and have todo 1-100 again

You know, sometimes I wish the game doesn't have the medal system.
Stops the sinking feeling of despair when you suck but your teammates suck harder.

Not longer and longer. It caps out around level 23.

Wanted to draw attention to this question and ask again. Would people be interested?

Has anyone discussed running a Neogaf tounament on this game? We have enough people to get into teams and do that, I think it'd be really fun, and it would get everyone's feet wet for when the competitive playlist arrives.

I'd be willing to lend a hand organizing the PS4 side but ideally people would help out running a tourney for all platforms.

LiK

Every individual in a lobby has important call outs to make. No one is saying that you need to chat over one another all of the time, but to not make use of the chat at all places yourself and your team at a significant disadvantage.

I'm really not interested in playing with people that don't use a mic in this game. It's such a huge disadvantage and at the same time communication is a large division of the games depth that players need to progressively get better at with time, without practice those that don't communicate will become worse and worse at the game, as the community around them learn to communicate and coordinate effectively through said communication.

Play however you want but I don't exclude anyone in a group for not using a mic. Just wanna have a good time, win or lose.

Pooya

They probably should add a TDM mode, some people really like that I guess and maybe that helps other modes then. It's been a while the game is out and this guy is like level 42, there is like 60 sec left, he's still stuck with widowmaker shooting at who knows what, miles away from payload.

Play however you want but I don't exclude anyone in a group for not using a mic. Just wanna have a good time, win or lose.

That's fair enough. I mean I get it, if you have people you want to play with that don't mic or whatever, but personally I like to focus on developing my skills when I play games, and I feel that communication is a big aspect of that.

I do invite people to my party that don't mic, but only on occasion and I try to limit these people to one or two. Normally, on games like Rainbow Six, it's never been an issue and everyone always has a mic, but Overwatch has drawn out a much more casual audience than most games.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Winston murders him.

This is the main reason I love Winston. The moment I see a Hanzo, Widowmaker, or Genji I pounce on them. It's like getting revenge for all the time my teammates pick Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Genji

Interfectum

99% / 99% in overtime is awesome.
If you are on the winning side.

Overtime is a fantastic mechanic. It really feels like people actually try to play during that time. Like, the second OT occurs everyone's skill level increases ten fold and we all pull together as a team.

Overtime is a fantastic mechanic. It really feels like people actually try to play during that time. Like, the second OT occurs everyone's skill level increases ten fold and we all pull together as a team.

It's a bit frustrating honestly. It's like, 'oh, so you guys CAN play this game then? good to know!' by that point we've already lost because it's 99-0 and it's only at 99 that they start working on the objective.

Does anyone feel like its a lot easier to win games defending?
At least when playing with randoms anyway. I feel like i win 75% defending and 25% attacking.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

This is the state of mind I'm in right now. I just can't deal with my team getting wrecked and nobody does anything different, even when I'm sending messages and occasionally talking on MIC (I won't be the annoying guy who talks non-stop with no other interaction) regarding the location of enemies, requesting people deal with snipers, etc.

Does anyone feel like its a lot easier to win games defending?
At least when playing with randoms anyway. I feel like i win 75% defending and 25% attacking.

At this stage in the game, specifically with random people, defense has an overwhelming advantage because the need to coordinate is significantly lessened. Everyone can just group up at a chokepoint and just shoot to their heart's content. Being on offense requires a varied team and constant communication, so you can push through the right areas, get rid of support characters and so forth.

spiritfox

Overtime should be all game then.

Actually that might be a cool brawl mode. Sudden Death. But that needs a map set up for that.

Gumbie

So my account has the bug where I can't login to the Americas region but EU and Asia work fine. The first two GM's I talked to at Blizzard support tried to blame my ISP (of course) and then I proved them wrong by logging in on my friends account on my computer and my same ISP. After I told the third GM about my friend's account working fine they finally admitted they could reproduce the error on their side and something was wrong with them. He basically told me there's nothing he can do besides move it up the chain. Since this past Saturday I've been sitting on a $60 game that I can't even get to the main menu of.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Sometimes I feel like playing as a certain character and it seems to be an unspoken rule that if you get it first then the person who gets it second switches. A lot of times I pick to fill the gaps too. I think that's good practice.

Some games it seems like everyone is hesitant to pick because they're all waiting to see what others pick. 6 blank spaces for like 20 seconds.

LiK

I played with a bunch of randoms in a game and only one guy was talking and all he did was bitch about our team and the other team constantly. I almost wanted to leave. Not sure of these guys who play randoms and thinks anyone cares what they're saying.

Baleoce

Observation: Hanzo's alternate skin that gives him the wolf instead of the dragon for his Ult, actually gives him a different voice acting line. And it seems to be inaudible compared to the original, for the first half of it, to the point that unless you're listening very carefully, you don't get time to jump out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom