• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Attack on Volskaya and the during character select someone on the team starts telling everyone to go Winston. "Everyone! Entire team Winston! Go go!" You could sense the skepticism and doubt from the team of randoms but then slowly a few picked Winston. "Everyone! Whole team must pick Winston!" Then a few more... And while we didn't end up with a full team of Winstons, we did have four plus heals (Mercy despite our Winston strategist pleading for a Lucio instead) and I think a Soldier 76 who didn't want to play along.

I'll admit I was pretty skeptical myself but DAMN. The Winston Army Rush is no joke. We won with ease before they knew what him 'em.

Yeah, I've been thinking that one of the potential solutions to the "Temple of Anubis problem" (i.e. it seeming to be overbalanced on the defense side) would be for half the team to go Winston, jump in and just start wrecking shit. One focused on the inevitable Torbjorn turret, another frying Symmetra's turrets, and the third just generally causing mayhem. And if the rest of the team could follow in right behind at the same time, it could actually work.

Of course, that would require coordination that most random teams can't ever manage, which is why pretty much every Attack on that map that I've been a part of has ended in dismal failure.

Firebrand

Also which colour is epic or legendary?

Just got punk tracer which makes it my.... 6th? 7th? Legendary or epic at lvl34.
Legendary is orange. What the fark. I've got 1 at the same level. And yes I'll never stop complaining until I too get crappy legendaries I'll never use!

Oh well, it should average out in a few hundred levels.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Ok my biggest problem with the game is when it says "Epic" after 4+ people vote on a player after a match. There's some really cringey "gamer" stuff in here.

Game is great though. So much fun.

They're actually referencing loot drops, since they say Epic at 5 and Legendary at 10. Just happens to coincide with gamer speech.

I've found that randoms play with more teamwork when I am Lucio. For some reason, they just stick by me more than they do when I use Mercy. If I use Mercy, forget it. They just go all over the place. Waste of time, really.

Definitely say for new support players pick Lucio for offence and king of the hill and Symmetra for defence. You will get wins with Symmetra on defence just because it's less of a disaster when other new players run off solo and die if you have your tp up.

vypek

Pushing people off the edges or into holes is THE BEST.

Absolutely. Shooting a concussion blast from Pharah on Nepal point C and watching people fall into the pit is great.

Getting the post-game card for environmental kills feels so good. Bumping guys off with Lucio and doing suicide charges with Reinhardt feels so great.

I didn't know there was a card for it and not I feel like I have to get it. lol. Lucio is especially good at it. Pushed people into the abyss in some areas and into the well on Ilios. I want to get one with Junkrat now though. I was upset and impressed someone managed to give me my only environmental death so far with him.

Great. So I can unlock everything by playing the game.

Yeah, no need to buy unless you want to speed things along. You can just keep going non-stop to get everything.

Firebrand

DK1.jpg

Seriously, that's how I got mine. WWBW gets real annoying real fast.
I have a theory Blizzard noted I paid for Hearthstone cards like a chump and expect me to pony up for loot boxes if they adjust the RNG a bit.

nOoblet16

Ok my biggest problem with the game is when it says "Epic" after 4+ people vote on a player after a match. There's some really cringey "gamer" stuff in here.

Seriously? That's your biggest problem?
It says epic with 5 votes and legendary at 10.

Rarely anyone gets either since people just don't vote and that's your biggest problem?

X-Frame

Yep, it's the default. I really wish it wasn't because I doubt many people realize it. I know I didn't until I went to check.

And yeah, the character call-outs are sweet. It's nice to know what to keep an eye out for, particularly the teleporters. Those are so underrated as game-changers. I can't stand it when people run right by them.

Auto-join chat is default on. But Team Chat as an option was a default No. At least, for me it was. And I'd been talking into the headset for days...

Okay, thanks for the confirming. I know I turned the chat off during the open beta because of a few games of screaming kids, but didn't know if that transferred to the full game too. None of my other settings did, so I didn't think so.

Maybe Blizzard wants it off by default, similar to how Destiny is Opt-In for team chat.

hooking people in is even better. One time I grabbed a Roadhog and he pulled me down with him, haven't laughed so hard at this game as I did there.

and Lucio is the carrier of bad teams. I had a 100% win rate on him for a while, and I only ever played him with randoms. Also all my Lucio POTGs are environmental kills, so good.

Played a brawl on King's Row defending last night as Lucio, it was a nightmare.

We were in overtime for like 12 minutes straight at the end.

Eventually I learned you can use his knockback repeatedly. For some reason I thought you had to reload after each one.

Once I figured that out, I just kept knocking people into that hole to the deaths.

Akim

Banned
50 credits away from 1k and still no idea which skin to buy

Opened young hanzo and riverboat. I either want a genji or roadhog skin. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sullichin

Seriously? That's your biggest problem?
It says epic with 5 votes and legendary at 10.

Rarely anyone gets either since people just don't vote and that's your biggest problem?

It was a joke because I like the game. I didn't know it had anything to do with loot tiers people get though.

Wait until you get voted legendary, some day. 10+ votes. You'll feel okay about it.

Players still struggling with the Mei 1v1 or combating her at control points. I don't start with her but I'll switch if we lose the first part or they reach a checkpoint because the ice walls provide a new wrinkle and they seem so confused when I start freezing their supports and tanks. So much fun. Plus her ultimate is godly to throw out when the opposing team makes their final push for OT.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Legendary is orange. What the fark. I've got 1 at the same level. And yes I'll never stop complaining until I too get crappy legendaries I'll never use!

Oh well, it should average out in a few hundred levels.

Oh yeah I got 5 legendaries than.

Mariachi reaper, punk tracer, turban zen, Antique bastion and vigilante mccree. Also thought I had a legendary with reinhart but it's just his epic with the head exposed.

Would be nice to actually have some legendaries of characters I actually play. :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
50 credits away from 1k and still no idea which skin to buy

Opened young hanzo and riverboat. I either want a genji or roadhog skin. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm at 1000 but I'm waiting until I settle on my roster of used characters. I still haven't tried out most of the characters.

It was a joke because I like the game. I didn't know it had anything to do with loot tiers people get though.

Just to clarify what he said: it doesn't change what loot you get, it's just a tie-in because Blizzard games always do the epic/legendary thing. It doesn't do anything at all, really.

nOoblet16

It's Attack on Volskaya and the during character select someone on the team starts telling everyone to go Winston. "Everyone! Entire team Winston! Go go!" You could sense the skepticism and doubt from the team of randoms but then slowly a few picked Winston. "Everyone! Whole team must pick Winston!" Then a few more... And while we didn't end up with a full team of Winstons, we did have four plus heals (Mercy despite our Winston strategist pleading for a Lucio instead) and I think a Soldier 76 who didn't want to play along.

I'll admit I was pretty skeptical myself but DAMN. The Winston Army Rush is no joke. We won with ease before they knew what him 'em.

4-5 Winston with the rest sports taken by Lucio works really well for pushing the enemy team in pugs.

Monkey Business is serious business.

Klyka

Banned

"Epic" and "Legendary" are two of the rarities used for items in Blizzard games.

It's not "cringey gamer stuff"

LogicStep

So how close do you have to be to heal your team as Lucio? Does it work through walls? I'm not sure what you can do besides run around and skate on walls and amplify your songs when needed and shoot shit. Sometimes I feel like there could be more I could do.

azyless

When I play Lucio I pretty much play on the objective (Payload or Capture Point) so if my team wants the heals they are gonna have to be close to the objective.
Yep, I play him a lot and I often finish with the gold medal in objective time. That random widowmaker asking for heals at the other end of the map can spam the "need healing" command all she wants I'm pushing that damn payload or I'll die trying.
So how close do you have to be to heal your team as Lucio? Does it work through walls? I'm not sure what you can do besides run around and skate on walls and amplify your songs when needed and shoot shit. Sometimes I feel like there could be more I could do.
Doesn't work through walls.

Palmer_v1

Played a brawl on King's Row defending last night as Lucio, it was a nightmare.

We were in overtime for like 12 minutes straight at the end.

Eventually I learned you can use his knockback repeatedly. For some reason I thought you had to reload after each one.

Once I figured that out, I just kept knocking people into that hole to the deaths.

Lucio's boop is on a pretty short cooldown. Like 4 seconds, I think. One some of the neutral maps, he effectively zones enemies out of certain areas. Whatever the Ilios map is where the zone is in the building on the edge, one Lucio can shutdown the side entrances cause getting boop'd off the level is too risky, so it funnels everyone into the center.

I think Lucio is definitely better on certain maps that involve everyone grouping together, and someone upthread noted that playing Lucio might actually encourage others to group on you, which I hadn't considered before. That said, I don't think Mercy is so much worse than Lucio. She's squishier for sure, especially against snipers, but Guardian Angel gives her a great deal of mobility so long as you have someone in sight, and if you're finding that teams are ganging up on a few characters as opposed to spreading damage across your whole team, then Mercy's better at keeping people alive. Her damage buff can be more useful than a speed boost in certain cases, and revive is revive.

Lucio might be better as a general support still, but I think there's plenty of room for Mercy.

Yesterday during a skirmish on ilos I joined the other teams in the center of the map and saw the other team's lucio fooling around in the well, so I went to join him. After 30 seconds of just skating circles in there for fun I realized that it wasn't a skirmish this was the actual match, and I should probably be doing something to assist my team rather than well-skating and hi-spamming.

heal/speed boost is line of sight; so walls/obstacles block it. keep Lucio optimally positioned behind/between as many of your team at once as you can and use his primary fire to poke at damage dealers on the fringe (Widow, Junkrat, Pharah, D.Va) and his secondary to push people back/off ledges/generally annoy them. constantly be on the move and focus on being as annoying as possible. use his ultimate proactively (you sense a lot of damage is incoming) instead of reactively. if you die and see another teammate who will respawn within a few seconds of you, wait and use the amp it up speed boost to get both of you back quicker. crossfade to speed boost when you see D.Va or Junkrat's ultimate incoming to help your team escape the blast.

Her damage buff can be more useful than a speed boost in certain cases, and revive is revive.

Lucio might be better as a general support still, but I think there's plenty of room for Mercy.

Mercy's damage boost + a DPS that knows their shit is deadly.

IIRC correctly they want to add a similar system in the future with daily quests.

At level 22 the amount of XP you need stays at 22000.

the xp requirement is supposed to cap at lvl 25 and stay the same all the way to lvl 100... then it all resets when you rank up and have todo 1-100 again

Not longer and longer. It caps out around level 23.

Good to hear, I am at level 11 right now.

Gurrry

Yeah, I've been thinking that one of the potential solutions to the "Temple of Anubis problem" (i.e. it seeming to be overbalanced on the defense side) would be for half the team to go Winston, jump in and just start wrecking shit. One focused on the inevitable Torbjorn turret, another frying Symmetra's turrets, and the third just generally causing mayhem. And if the rest of the team could follow in right behind at the same time, it could actually work.

Of course, that would require coordination that most random teams can't ever manage, which is why pretty much every Attack on that map that I've been a part of has ended in dismal failure.

As soon as you jump in one of the 4 bastions will just destroy you while they are getting a mercy damage boost.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think Lucio is definitely better on certain maps that involve everyone grouping together, and someone upthread noted that playing Lucio might actually encourage others to group on you, which I hadn't considered before. That said, I don't think Mercy is so much worse than Lucio. She's squishier for sure, especially against snipers, but Guardian Angel gives her a great deal of mobility so long as you have someone in sight, and if you're finding that teams are ganging up on a few characters as opposed to spreading damage across your whole team, then Mercy's better at keeping people alive. Her damage buff can be more useful than a speed boost in certain cases, and revive is revive.

Why not have both really.

The matches I played where I'm the lucio along with a mercy has been pretty much stomps.

Though it's funny that I get the gold medal for healing but people still upvote mercy. Lucio considered scrub tier I guess.

vypek

In COD it unlocks new challenges, skins, etc. What does it do here? This is the first I've heard of Overwatch having a prestige system.

Seems like it just changes the EXP to level up and allows you to keep getting loot boxes without having to spend any actual money.

Huh? Is there some sort of prestige indicator at that point? I know my portrait keeps expanding with more and more frills.

I'm not sure if there is an indicator or not. I would assume something special would happen to your portrait at that point to show that you aren't someone who only just started the game.

Vestal

Looks like 10-20m.. Doesn't work through walls.

Basically run around, keep shooting and bounce people off of the points. Lucio is there to just disrupt and distract. I usually try to bait people to coming around corners to kill me they easy target and then bounce them off of maps. Never just do healing song, the speed song can be very very helpful as well even during all out combat. Just be smart about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom