• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravidee

Does anyone else actually kinda try not to kill a D.Va that's out of their mech? It seems like killing them will just let them get their mech back. They can ult to get it back, but then they've wasted an ult.

The ult gauge to get her mech back is actually independent from the one used to explode. Also, in the hands of the right player, D.Va out of her mech can be pretty disruptive.

Anyone knows what to do when Overwatch makes your GPU sound like its running Crysis or AC in 4k?

It seems because its multi-threaded it uses everything your GPU/CPU has to offer. Reading on the battle.net forums some support guy say to turn on Vsync (in an online MP game) and restrict the FPS. I did that, but my 980ti still sounds like I am running a high-end game.
Yea, turn off automatic resolution scaling or set it to a flat 100%. If you don't it will automatically be supersampled anywhere from 120% to 150% of your monitor's resolution.

Tic174

Anyone knows what to do when Overwatch makes your GPU sound like its running Crysis or AC in 4k?

It seems because its multi-threaded it uses everything your GPU/CPU has to offer. Reading on the battle.net forums some support guy say to turn on Vsync (in an online MP game) and restrict the FPS. I did that, but my 980ti still sounds like I am running a high-end game.

Yeah its the only game that makes my R9 390 go crazy. It doesn't do it all the time though, I can go a few days fine and then all of a sudden the fans will go nuts for no apparent reason.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well you have aim assist on console I play on PC and have kept our team in overtime by myself tons of times.

Is there really aim assist on consoles? I haven't noticed any. Perhaps it's just not as heavy as it is in games like Destiny.

Any tips for using Winston's ultimate? I feel like it kinda sucks. :/

Winston's Ultimate is more crowd control then damage, though if you pin someone in the corner they can die pretty fast. Jump on the squishies, either kill them or prevent them from doing anything. The best part is knocking a Zenyatta away from his group during his Ultimate, into a pit.

B.O.O.M

Its not just me thinking Zenyatta has the best Skins, Emotes, Victory poses and highlight intros right?

Nope I'm with you. He looks bloody amazing. I got two of his legendaries so far. Sunyatta and Ra. Too bad I haven't found him fun to play tho :S maybe he will grow on me

finalflame

Just got my first hate message after defending on Anubis with like 4 Torbjorns lol. Can't blame the guy at all haha.

So just salty messages in the match channel? Gotta love those. Also, I get super salty when someone is using 4 torbs to defend a point.

Kyoufu

So just salty messages in the match channel? Gotta love those. Also, I get super salty when someone is using 4 torbs to defend a point.

PSN message.

"I hope your mother beats you bloody"

I sent him a message saying I understood his pain. Anubis sucks for attackers lol.

Raven117

Winston's Ultimate is more crowd control then damage, though if you pin someone in the corner they can die pretty fast. Jump on the squishies, either kill them or prevent them from doing anything. The best part is knocking a Zenyatta away from his group during his Ultimate, into a pit.

Its great, but its the worst when you see everyone headed towards the objective which you think will be "THE" push....You activate the super, go HAM, get popped finally and realize your entire team is way back still trying to take pot shots in overtime.

Feels bad, man.

Feels like Winston's rage.

Jiraiza

Is it just me or does Hanamaura barely come up? I don't think I played it once in the 2 3-hour sessions I had with my friends.

finalflame

PSN message.

"I hope your mother beats you bloody"

I sent him a message saying I understood his pain. Anubis sucks for attackers lol.

Ah, yes. Forgot that's how it works on PSN (playing on PC). Not gonna lie, I've been salty enough after a few matches to want to send hate mail, but I just passive-aggressively bitch in the match channel instead with things like "wow high skill" or "skilled play, flashbang+fth spam."

Salt is real.

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Dunlop

Joined in a group that was pinned in the spawn room by 5 Bastions. It was just silly, no combination worked and you were dead if you even came near the exit.

Note to self, just quit match and not waste the energy next time

The ult gauge to get her mech back is actually independent from the one used to explode. Also, in the hands of the right player, D.Va out of her mech can be pretty disruptive.

She does better damage at range outside of her mech than she does in it.

Her line of fire is so straight and she shoots so fast that non-mech D.Va is like playing a beast of her own.

I got the Undying trophy because of this.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Joined in a group that was pinned in the spawn room by 5 Bastions. It was just silly, no combination worked and you were dead if you even came near the exit.

Hanzo or Widow > wallhack ability > dweet dweet dead

Wanderer5

Lol I actually saw a good attack team Torbjorn for once. Was able to get some good spots to place a turret and kept moving forward with or ahead the payload.

Spoo

This is probably the only thing I don't like about the game right now.

When I play with friends, it's easy enough to overcome lame group comps., but when I solo queue? It's a guaranteed loss.

They really need to implement a mode for stacks. Basically, if you solo queue you are guaranteed to match with teams that are stacked in the same way. So, 1 solo queue can match against a team that has 1 other person solo-queuing. If the other team has 5 people in a group, then you should be placed with a group that has 5 people in theirs. 2 goes with 2, 3 with 3, etc. It would *really* help.

Also have a mode that is guaranteed to be composed of all solo queuers.

R0ckman

Is there really aim assist on consoles? I haven't noticed any. Perhaps it's just not as heavy as it is in games like Destiny.

I double dipped and I at least notice some, they orginally had the PC support it too if it recognized you had a controller but from what I heard there was some kind of bug that resulted in them removing it.

Seems easy enough to deal with: 3 Reinhardts trading off shielding with the rest of the team firing from behind. Hell, have a Zarya or two poke out from behind the shield long enough to charge up to max and then march forward and fry them all. Might not take them all out in one go, but it'll take a lot longer for them to get back to the same point than you.

EDIT: Yeah, or a bunch of Genjis, too.

Seems easy enough to deal with: 3 Reinhardts trading off shielding with the rest of the team firing from behind. Hell, have a Zarya or two poke out from behind the shield long enough to charge up to max and then march forward and fry them all. Might not take them all out in one go, but it'll take a lot longer for them to get back to the same point than you.
5 bastions are too strong for a reinheart. Even multiple reinhearts. D.va is the more logical solution. Get behind defense matrix with 3 d.va and 3 widow, then boost and push out on the remaining 2 bastions.

Genji only works if the enemy bastions have no self-restraint. That is generally a poor assumption.

I kind of hate how Reinhardt is the only viable heavy option in the Payload matches because of his shields. I mean I guess you could try using Zarya, though I feel like she goes down way quicker than Reinhardt.

Baliis

Had a team try something similar on Anubis with bastions + reinhardt. Went tracer and snuck around a side route with blinks to start capping the point. Once their formation broke to come deal with me it was over and the rest of my team smashed through them.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can someone better explain D.Va's defense matrix to me? What is it doing? What is it effective against?

Sane_Man

Playing solo since I've hit + level 30 has been kinda rough. I was winning +50% of games before 30 and now it seems like it's about 1 in 4 games :/ Is there any way to tell if you're playing pre-made teams? It feels like I am so often.

I kind of hate how Reinhardt is the only viable heavy option in the Payload matches because of his shields. I mean I guess you could try using Zarya, though I feel like she goes down way quicker than Reinhardt.
I played with a double Zarya pair last night. It was interesting. Whenever one got disabled, like by a McCree or a road hog, the other would bubble them and together they alternated lead and felt damn tough to beat.

DrArchon

Eh, Zarya is more of a secondary tank in my mind. She's only beefy if you can time your barrier properly and the duration is so short that you can't take constant fire like you can with Reinhardt's shield.

I get what you're saying, but Reinhardt really is the best option for payload maps. Most of the enemies are coming from one direction and you've basically got 2500 health which no one else can say. Winston would be other good choice but his bubble isn't as good as the shield.

After a spending the weekend playing my way to level 17, I've got a decent grip on the heroes, but I still get confused by some of the maps. Played both with and against some fellow GAF members, which is always fun even if we had a loss streak.

My favorite heroes of each class so far:

Pharah
Junkrat
Zarya
Lucio

Pharah and Junk play similarly to Soldier and Demoman from TF2, so that's probably why I was immediately more comfortable playing them.

My favorite class overall is defense; I often switch between Junk, Torb, Bastion, and Widow. I've also had success with Junk on offense so that's why he's my class favorite so far.

Can someone better explain D.Va's defense matrix to me? What is it doing? What is it effective against?
I think it just blocks everything in the square. It's good for example to use to approach a turret so that you are right on top of it without getting it and destroy it quickly when you attack

Gryph

D. Va's defense matrix can eat Mei's ult. Good to know.

It should work exactly like Genji's reflect, if you're close enough to eat the projectile, you can cancel the whole thing.

I need to get better about using it to soak my "High Noon" bullet. I still run for cover by instinct. But activating defense matrix and flying straight at Archie is the better bet...

Think of it as a temporary Reinheart shield that nullifies all incoming damage of any kind for as long as it's up. It cannot be broken by enemy fire. Teammates who know stand behind defensive matrix and deal damage to root out strong enemy encampments. Requires some coordination.

matt05891

To everyone here who tells people what to play: don't tell individuals to change. Finesse and articulate your question for the group to help the team come together.

I get its frustrating but don't be the main dps telling others to play tank and healer. If you change yourself as well you will get better responses. I never ever listen to anyone in mobas as a support. The adcs are always asking for specific champions and I always just mute and possibly tilted if they are rude/toxic enough. In my eyes I'm doing the job others don't want to do and I will do it my way; I'm not playing the game for your sake. But if they articulate a reason outside it's what they like I'm more likely to help them out.

Just how I've always felt as a support main. It translates well to overwatch.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Playing solo since I've hit + level 30 has been kinda rough. I was winning +50% of games before 30 and now it seems like it's about 1 in 4 games :/ Is there any way to tell if you're playing pre-made teams? It feels like I am so often.

If they have a Mercy and a Reinhardt, + even distribution of dps/tanks, you're probably facing a premade, or at worst, people who know how to play the game.

Nullifying all incoming projectiles in a frontal cone for a short time. Anything that's a projectile or hitscan, basically. Rocket barrage, bastion, thrown junkrat mine I think. Beam weapons go through. Melee goes through. Uncertain about Zarya, mei, and Hanzo ults but suspect they get eaten too.

Sane_Man

If they have a Mercy and a Reinhardt, + even distribution of dps/tanks, you're probably facing a premade, or at worst, people who know how to play the game.

Yeah, that's basically it. I respect the skill of the opposing team when mine gets wrecked, but it really sucks the fun out of the game. Constantly being in firefights against 3 or more people because all my team mates are dead is painful.

eek5

After a spending the weekend playing my way to level 17, I've got a decent grip on the heroes, but I still get confused by some of the maps. Played both with and against some fellow GAF members, which is always fun even if we had a loss streak.

My favorite heroes of each class so far:

Pharah
Junkrat
Zarya
Lucio

Pharah and Junk play similarly to Soldier and Demoman from TF2, so that's probably why I was immediately more comfortable playing them.

My favorite class overall is defense; I often switch between Junk, Torb, Bastion, and Widow. I've also had success with Junk on offense so that's why he's my class favorite so far.

Junkrat is so fun. I love that he can lay down suppression fire to push defenses back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom