• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in a room with a party of 5 on Anubis. They all picked Pharah on attack phase so I picked her as well and we wrecked the other team. On defense we all picked Bastion except for one Lucio. We held onto the first point for a while before they finally wore us down. Then I picked Pharah again for objective B splash damage and the other team did not have a chance at taking it.

I've played a couple Hollywood matches where the other team has 2 or 3 Torbjorn and all those turrets make it hard to get past the first door.

R0ckman

To everyone here who tells people what to play: don't tell individuals to change. Finesse and articulate your question for the group to help the team come together.

I get its frustrating but don't be the main dps telling others to play tank and healer. If you change yourself as well you will get better responses. I never ever listen to anyone in mobas as a support. The adcs are always asking for specific champions and I always just mute and possibly tilted if they are rude/toxic enough. In my eyes I'm doing the job others don't want to do and I will do it my way; I'm not playing the game for your sake. But if they articulate a reason outside it's what they like I'm more likely to help them out.

Just how I've always felt as a support main. It translates well to overwatch.

But on the flip side you cant always be the tactical filler of the group.

Annubis

Nullifying all incoming projectiles in a frontal cone for a short time. Anything that's a projectile or hitscan, basically. Rocket barrage, bastion, thrown junkrat mine I think. Beam weapons go through. Melee goes through. Uncertain about Zarya, mei, and Hanzo ults but suspect they get eaten too.

Zarya goes through. Dunno about Hanzo or Mei.

Onemic

Eh, Zarya is more of a secondary tank in my mind. She's only beefy if you can time your barrier properly and the duration is so short that you can't take constant fire like you can with Reinhardt's shield.

I get what you're saying, but Reinhardt really is the best option for payload maps. Most of the enemies are coming from one direction and you've basically got 2500 health which no one else can say. Winston would be other good choice but his bubble isn't as good as the shield.

Zaryas shield can also only absorb up to 200dmg.

Zaryas shield can also only absorb up to 200dmg.

Sorta. If you have even 1 damage left, it blocks everything. So against stuff like Hanzo and Pharah's ults, it melts, because those deal their damage over a large number of small hits, but it'll totally nullify stuff like Junkrat and D. Va's ults.

Zemm

McCree is hilariously broken right now, and he's so easy to play so it's not even like a Gengi or something where the skilled players are going to destroy with him, he's so low skill that anyone can flash and fan. Hope they nerf him so much that people don't even want to play him.

Zarya goes through. Dunno about Hanzo or Mei.
Huh. Would've figured same rules as genii deflect. This game is kinda inconsistent about some stuff.

You guys ever have trouble with road hogs hook pulling people to your side or back? I hooked a genji twice last night and both times he ended up being pulled behind me. Go to follow it up with the one two primary->melee and there's nohing there. Super annoying.

Afrodium

Banned
Sorta. If you have even 1 damage left, it blocks everything. So against stuff like Hanzo and Pharah's ults, it melts, because those deal their damage over a large number of small hits, but it'll totally nullify stuff like Junkrat and D. Va's ults.

And absorbing a Junkrat or D.Va ult will instantly buff your weapon to max so you can clean house.

Zarya is quickly beginning one of my favorite heroes.

McCree is hilariously broken right now, and he's so easy to play so it's not even like a Gengi or something where the skilled players are going to destroy with him, he's so low skill that anyone can flash and fan. Hope they nerf him so much that people don't even want to play him.
I hope they nerf some aspects of him but leave the left-click intact, so I can still play him in good faith.

And absorbing a Junkrat or D.Va ult will instantly buff your weapon to max so you can clean house.

Sadly, only the first 200 damage counts towards energy gains, so the most you can get is 50% off a single shield.

50% is nothing to sneeze at, tho. Plus, if you AND somebody else you shielded takes that hit, you're suddenly at 100 at which point people start melting like Canadians in Florida.

God, that feeling when you're suddenly at high charge and just start tearing into them.

fuzzyset

Zarya is a tank in the sense that a good offense is a good defense. With a Zenyatta or Mercy watching your health, you can absolutely decimate teams while standing on the front lines. Even at 50% charge (so only your self-shield charged), she does crazy damage. If you bubble your healer or Tracer as they whiz by and get to 100, you can melt basically every character in the game, even Roadhog. If the enemy team is dumb enough to stand together on a point, you can clear it really quickly with the alt-fire.

Also, def don't under estimate the DVa and Mercy pistols. They do good damage and are 100% accurate. Very good for taking out turrets or bad snipers.

undecided

He is definitely the most frustrating for me to play against right now.. constantly murdering the support heroes. Who is the counter?

Thanks. I did that and it isnt that loud anymore. Still almost as loud as high end games. Just wonder why.

Because it downsamples to max out your image quality when you enable that setting.

Here's a GAF thread that explains it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

You may or may not have been running in-game at around 4k, hence the load on your GPU.

If you have a loud GPU without downsampling, it may just be your GPU or something running in the background. Check your load / temps while playing with monitoring software.

Mr.Mike

It does definitely seem like some maps come up much more often than others. Which is weird since I don't think there's any way for people to choose certain maps?

Grief.exe

Why is the game constantly starting in window mode?

He is definitely the most frustrating for me to play against right now.. constantly murdering the support heroes. Who is the counter?

Genji counters him well. Deflect the flash or the fan and it's over.

Roadhog Is a good counter too. Can hook him ffrom out of flash range and kill in one shot, hook him during high noon to cancel the ultimate.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I blame EU Gaf groups for this...this travesty going on with my most played heroes. Stupid EU Gaf always playing tanks and healers so im forced, FORCED I tell you, to play Hanzo.

halRvB2.jpg

Its not like hes becoming my favorite hero in the game, no no. I do it under duress I tells you.

fuzzyset

Best reddit comment on the "McCree is so annoying and OP how can you counter him" thread:

"He's not too hard to kill. I just throw a stun and fan the hammer."

But seriously, I have good luck with Tracer taking him out (or Zarya, see above).

MGrant

No guaranteed counter. Widow can snipe him and Pharah can kill him from afar, but that relies on him being out in the open. Mei can bait the flashbang, ice block, and get the freeze afterwards about half the time. Roadhog can get the hook, but only if he sees McCree first (unlikely with how much he stomps around). Genji can deflect the flashbang, but McCree can throw it at his feet. Junkrat does well firing into hallways but can't do anything up close.

Neoxon

That moment when you realize that Lucio is voiced in Japanese by Jonathan Joestar (Kazuyuki Okitsu). No wonder his "beato" delivery sounds so similar to Jonathan's.

Hex

Banned
So many people use pick up groups as a crutch not to blame or critique their own play.
Was watching a friend of mine play a handful of matches after hearing them for days bitch about pick up teams and everyone else. Was enlightening.
Seriously, sometimes you are just not pulling your weight or are a weaker link than you think that you are.
Do not get me wrong, I am a scrub and learning match by match.

LordofPwn

genji deflect the flash bang and then make quick work of him. roadhog, hook him and then shotgun to his face. widow/hanzo to kill him from a distance. the problem occurs when you have someone than can aim his primary fire and snipe people, then he's deadly. Pharah and junkrat are also good counters imo. Junkrat more so to avoid primary fire.

Neverwas

wish there was a way to force proper team composition. getting tired of being the first to pick a character, only to feel the need to back out and choose a Support or Tank because no one else can be bothered, or apparently think a team with several Junkrats is a winning combination.

I don't really like using him, but decided to finally play a few games with him.

Watching tanks melt to fan>roll>fan is stupid. That should not be a thing. The stun is dumb too, but that combo is super OP.

skny

Same here.My enemies always underestimate my damage as Zarya and they just get destroyed.

R0ckman

Something weird, was fighting a widow as Mccree, knew where she was, destroyed her trap, waited for a bit, moved in flash banged her, fan hammered but still died in one hit. WTF?

Hex

Banned

Anyone who can stay out of mid or close range.
Snipers, Junkrat, Phara, E.VA irritates me because I will take out the mech and then get shot in the face by her.

PepperedHam

They need to patch in a cinematic that teaches people about overtime and how it works. The cinematic should play every time you die off of the objective during it.

Fugu

I think my perspective on this is different enough to warrant some impressions...

I came to this more or less directly from playing almost nothing but Quake Live at a fairly high level for the past few years. I'm pretty good at what I suppose you might call the conventional FPS skills, like aiming, dodging, and being aware of my surroundings. However, I'm away from home and am forced to play this game on a laptop that can barely run it; because of this, my experience with Overwatch is defined by the fact that I'm playing at sub-30 FPS on the lowest possible resolution with a considerable amount of input lag.

...With that in mind, I am essentially forced to roll Mercy (or Reinhardt) basically every game since I can still contribute pretty positively this way. I win more than half of my games despite being completely defenceless and being forced to solo queue, since everyone I know is in North America while I'm in Asia. And despite the overwhelming jankiness of playing on something that was clearly never designed for such work, I'm still having a pretty good time with it. It's an interesting take on a subgenre that I have previously felt no interest in playing whatsoever.

But there is one thing that will always get me about playing these kind of objective-based games, and it's the omnipresence of the kind of players who simply have no idea how to play a first person shooter. I sympathize with those who get really mad about team composition -- I just played a king of the hill where four of our team members were tanks -- but the thing that really grinds my gears is the people who make it easy for the other team to gank by perpetually playing out of position and having no awareness of the status of their team. This game even gives you far more tools than necessary to determine this information, like a direct uplink to the condition of the person that's healing you, but yet time and again I helplessly watch as my team mates are flanked again and again because they never take so much as a second to analyze how the situation is developing around them.

I have to say, however, that I think this is a natural consequence of people pushing for FPSes that don't really require you to be good at the technical aspects of an FPS to enjoy. The natural consequence of this is, I suppose, players who aren't good at the technical aspects of FPSes.

In short: I can't wait for ranked and to be able to play this game on a computer that can handle it. My damage record as Mercy is in the low triple digits.

I'm about to start the download for this game. Any beginner tips I should before flailing about on the battlefield?

Don't rush in and try to solo the enemy team.
Stick with your team.
If your team lacks support or healing, it would be a good idea to play one of those classes.
Quote the OP to see the Google Doc of GAF usernames for all platforms, sort by tab. Add us and enjoy teamwork!
PTFO.

Eh, Zarya is more of a secondary tank in my mind. She's only beefy if you can time your barrier properly and the duration is so short that you can't take constant fire like you can with Reinhardt's shield.

I get what you're saying, but Reinhardt really is the best option for payload maps. Most of the enemies are coming from one direction and you've basically got 2500 health which no one else can say. Winston would be other good choice but his bubble isn't as good as the shield.

Right, Winston could work as well, but his bubble only has a couple hundred health, I'm guessing. He would also have to be way more mobile to avoid being taken out after the bubble is destroyed, which would mean he'd have to move away from the payload. Reinhardt can literally plop down on top of it and sit there with his shield up as it moves throughout the level.

meshwork

Could someone who has the Raptorion skin (the blue mecha one) for Pharah post a screenshot of what it looks like in 1st person? I've been trying to find videos or pictures of the gun model and I haven't been able to find any material whatsoever.

Played a good Roadhog last night and he made me hate my life.
Hate him. I think I call bullshit on the chain more than anything else in the game, including Hanzo's arrows and McCree's stuns. Sometimes the distance just seems so improbable, or you get pulled through a wall. Or both.

The thing I love about him is how fast he builds my ultimate, though, especially if he keeps healing himself. Just a big, fat, ult-building fiend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom