• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sounds more like a bad player than a bad pick :-D
To be fair he did get a card for 3k healing, so there's that.
Hey that could have been me in any number of matches! I don't berate people for not changing characters if they have a specific strategic idea for the role they want to play, but it's very clear that sometimes a team needs a certain composition to do better. Zenyatta is a support character who with the right combinations can make a huge difference, so I think that it makes sense that if a player has a strategy in mind with that support, but no one is interested in taking up that synergy, it would be frustrating.

The biggest problems with randoms is that there seems to be this unwillingness to communicate. If a player says something regarding tactics and no one replies, and then things go bad, you have to wonder why people are playing a team based game if they don't want to talk at all.
It's just bizarre to see someone wag fingers at others for not changing when everyone did.

eek5

Lol, just played a comp match where the entire enemy team left except for one guy who was a good sport and stayed through the whole game.
If one person leaves a match and doesn't come back for a minute the rest of the team can leave without leaver penalty (still take the loss). People reported that you drop less rank by leaving than staying in PTR (not sure how it is now).

duckroll

It's just bizarre to see someone wag fingers at others for not changing when everyone did.

Did he ever request any specific changes during the game? Because if not, fuck whiners. It has nothing to do with Zenyatta or whatever, just a lamer who only talks shit after a game is lost. If I feel there's something wrong with the team composition at the start or during the match, I bring it up. Whether it's a good or bad suggestion (sometimes I have bad ideas!) at least I contributed an idea when it still mattered. Whining only after a game is stupid.

Did he ever request any specific changes during the game? Because if not, fuck whiners. It has nothing to do with Zenyatta or whatever, just a lamer who only talks shit after a game is lost. If I feel there's something wrong with the team composition at the start or during the match, I bring it up. Whether it's a good or bad suggestion (sometimes I have bad ideas!) at least I contributed an idea when it still mattered. Whining only after a game is stupid.

If i'm leader in a group i always sorta want to see at the result screen just to see who will complain because they sure wasn't during the match.

Permanently A

not sure what Blizz was thinking when they came up with this. anyone with a job can't play that much.

safe to say that anyone with golden guns isn't just good but they played the ALOT.

Not exactly, you get a lump sum of points at the end of a season. The top players will get enough points for a golden, whereas other players may need to earn points across several seasons to afford a golden.

arimanius

First Competitive game. Two Hanzos, no coordination, nobody protects their Mercy.

Fucking shitty-ass community

Not surprised at all. All competitive mode did was give more rewards for playing. Everyone playing quick play just moved to competitive because there's no reason to play quick play anymore.

Team play isn't going to improve, people are just going to be ruder now.

peakish

100% win rate so far
after one game

People on my team cooperated pretty well, got two tanks, call outs for ults, an immediate healer selected. We kind of rolled the other team so they probably had it worse though :/

Not surprised at all. All competitive mode did was give more rewards for playing. Everyone playing quick play just moved to competitive because there's no reason to play quick play anymore.

Maybe things will improve? It's new so everyone's going to be trying it out for a few weeks, even those who don't care. Later on and in higher ranks people hopefully are more serious. 'course that's not what people in this thread who have played other ranked games think lol

Blues1990

What was the reason for Competitive Mode being a highly requested feature for Overwatch? From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. (I haven't had a chance to play it, what with me not having access to the game at this time.)

Interfectum

Team play will improve if you are good. You will be put with higher ranked players in competitive. If you aren't good then you'll stay in the shit tier.

Played 7 placement games and have gone 6-1 so far. Every game has been great in terms of coordination and team play, even the loss. I'm expecting my time for salty and bad teams to arrive shortly. I hope to be mistaken.

LiK

Not exactly, you get a lump sum of points at the end of a season. The top players will get enough points for a golden, whereas other players may need to earn points across several seasons to afford a golden.

Ok, that sounds better. Doubt I can play often enough to afford one tho.

The real dark souls starts now

Finalow

only 1 point per win and golden weapons cost 300 each. Lol
I enjoy the idea of never getting a single golden weapon, or barely getting one after 3 seasons /if I'm still playing, that is/, thanks Jeff. (I honestly don't really care but it sounds quite ridiculous)

oh it seems like you get some points after the season ends, at least.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... the only rewards for doing competitive is a single ugly spray and player icon, and very slowly accumulating currencies for getting a gold weapon, with only the top players being to get it at the end of season 1? And you have to deal with more annoying players who throws insults left and right who aren't necessarily more skilled?

Not sure I want to waste my time for this lol.

What was the reason for Competitive Mode being a highly requested feature for Overwatch? From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. (I haven't had a chance to play it, what with me not having access to the game at this time.)

You need to grind and win and carry yourself in order to get to the more competitive tiers.

Until you realize that is it all the same no matter where you end up.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So... the only rewards for doing competitive is a single ugly spray and player icon, and very slowly accumulating currencies for getting a gold weapon, with only the top players being to get it at the end of season 1? And you have to deal with more annoying players who throws insults left and right who aren't necessarily more skilled?

If those are the only prizes for competitive, I will stick with random play, which is already a ton of fun. Golden guns have 0 appeal.

Interfectum

I believe you get currency at the end of season too based on rank.

And honestly the purpose of competitive play is for the increased competition, not really for the golden rewards. If you aren't into that then yeah there's no reason to do it.

arimanius

100% win rate so far
after one game

People on my team cooperated pretty well, got two tanks, call outs for ults, an immediate healer selected. We kind of rolled the other team so they probably had it worse though :/

Maybe things will improve? It's new so everyone's going to be trying it out for a few weeks, even those who don't care. Later on and in higher ranks people hopefully are more serious. 'course that's not what people in this thread who have played other ranked games think lol

Hopefully things will improve as time goes on. I think most people will always play rank no matter what. The salt level will definitely go through the roof tho.

Team play will improve if you are good. You will be put with higher ranked players in competitive. If you aren't good then you'll stay in the shit tier.

Maybe the percentage of games with good team play will improve. I think there will still be a good amount of games where people still refuse to do what's best for the team.

Hey Kor when do you usually play? Weeknights?

I play with a few of DestinyGAF so when Ranked comes next week if you want we can group up unless you have a group. We play mostly on the weekends though.

Sorry, late to this.

I'm usually on every night. Around 7-10 Central time. Plus for about 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday each.

I don't really have a group. I play with my wife almost all the time.

The only Gaffer I've really played with is Lik. Though I've played a few games with Letdown as well.

I'm interested in ranked stuff, and I think I see you online quite a bit when I'm on as well, so that might work.

Interfectum

Maybe the percentage of games with good team play will improve. I think there will still be a good amount of games where people still refuse to do what's best for the team.

Sure but that's because you are playing with people, not robots. There will be variables and dumbasses.

Zexen

Just finished my placements, lost 2 games, one with 3 guys that were doing nothing but flaming, and another one that was a tight match, good team and good opponents. Finished being ranked 59, no idea if that's good or what.

From these 10 games, I've had way more fun that my entire play time in Quick Play, peoples are way more attentive and compliant, besides that one match, no one flamed, everyone was playing the objectives, switching properly etc... it was great. Guess I've been lucky looking at some comments here.

PS: 2 Winston - 2 Tracer - 2 Lucio is crazy on Numbani Attack.

fresquito

Silly me. I play Ranked because, on paper, it will grant me a better enviroment to have proper Overwatch matches.

But then again, I'm keeping my chest unopened (I have 20+ now) just because I want to teach a friends's nephew a lesson, lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had an extra salty player on my team start cussing everyone out and raging, he was a Torbjorn so it made it even funnier. Another played mentioned they were recording so this might end up on youtube, lol. Sure enough I got matched against him next game and won.
No specific changes, just whined at the end that we should be changing if it isn't working.

peakish

Hopefully things will improve as time goes on. I think most people will always play rank no matter what. The salt level will definitely go through the roof tho.
I'm expecting a lot of salt tbh, curious to see whether it'll exceed my expectations tho.

Either way if ranked turns out a dud for me I can play quick play and feel better for playing off meta heroes because I'm not screwing up someone's only way to have serious games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Outside of the extra XP(highest I saw myself gain was 4.8k when I started paying attention) those rewards seem solely for bragging rights and in that sense I'm perfectly okay with people earning a golden gun or a spray.

arimanius

I'm expecting a lot of salt tbh, curious to see whether it'll exceed my expectations tho.

Either way if ranked turns out a dud for me I can play quick play and feel better for playing off meta heroes because I'm not screwing up someone's only way to have serious games.

Right now I'm thinking of only playing rank with my friends to not deal with as much salt. Depending on how much we can play together I may change to solo queuing but I really don't want to if I can help it.

I'll use quick play to practice with heroes I'm not good with.

Just finished my placements, lost 2 games, one with 3 guys that were doing nothing but flaming, and another one that was a tight match, good team and good opponents. Finished being ranked 59, no idea if that's good or what.

From these 10 games, I've had way more fun that my entire play time in Quick Play, peoples are way more attentive and compliant, besides that one match, no one flamed, everyone was playing the objectives, switching properly etc... it was great. Guess I've been lucky looking at some comments here.

PS: 2 Winston - 2 Tracer - 2 Lucio is crazy on Numbani Attack.

I’d say 59 is above the average curve. I also went 8-2 for my placement matches and got 52. I also agree with you about the matches being better than Quick Play. All these horrible teammates everyone talks about I don’t really see them. Everyone has been pretty cool so far, a lot of switching and just playing the game right. Sure, I’ve seen a rager here and there, but that’s to be expected. After all my games people just go GG or GR; I haven’t seen any of that bullshit EZ and crap like that anymore that I was experiencing in QP. I have no reason ever play QP again. So far I went to 53 then back to 51 and now I’m almost back at 53. My matches are a lot of fun for the most part!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
My favorite is Illios when you blast 3-4 people off and they all scream simultaneously into the abyss.

I love going Lucio on maps with cliffs so I can use his pushback to knock people off. Most folks don't position themselves to avoid that when there's a Lucio on the other team.

Animator

Just had a team give me shit for two minutes because I picked Bastion for attack during sudden death in Volskaya. They shut the fuck up after I wiped half the enemy team in seconds and we capped.

People still don't understand tactics in this game. They would rather slam their dick against the reinhard shield for two minutes and hope to get in the point.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wish I was on NA, or could play on reasonable ping, finding groups on EU is a proving rediculous

eek5

Outside of the extra XP(highest I saw myself gain was 4.8k when I started paying attention)

This is mostly because matches are almost twice as long if not more. I'm curious to see if the xp/hr is actually better. Like on payload maps you have to play each side which is usually two matches of quickplay. With quickplay you get a loss/win bonus twice but in comp you only get one win/loss bonus. Not sure if they do anything to compenstate this but it seems like over time you'd actually get less xp from competitive compared to quickplay

Competitive is just...not fun, lol. The rules Blizzard hahs for these long ass gametypes is so trash. All that work, five rounds for a single point? Just 300 more wins til I can buy one of these tacky looking gold guns!

The quick play me and the boys played afterward >>> competitive

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is so fucking stupid.

I won the first two competitive matches, so far so good. Then 3rd match started and at the start some asshole left and now we were stuck for the whole fucking match with 5vs6.

WTF Blizz??? serioulsy why doesn't that fucking system find another person? or maybe just end the match when the teams are not full at the beginning??? what a fucking unfair joke.

Seriously im mad as hell, this is beyond stupid. We couldn't do anything about it and of course we lost.

Think i'm done with competitive for now until they fix their shit.

Heel

I'm betting that Blizzard will eventually have other things to spend your competitive points on (probably something new for each season), but yeah, not going to be grinding competitive because I want a golden gun.

Should've went with exclusive skins, customized to the level of Hanzo's Lone Wolf skin. That would've been worth the grind.

Interfectum

I won the first two competitive matches, so far so good. Then 3rd match started and at the start some asshole left and now we were stuck for the whole fucking match with 5vs6.

WTF Blizz??? serioulsy why doesn't that fucking system find another person? or maybe just end the match when the teams are not full at the beginning??? what a fucking unfair joke.

Seriously im mad as hell, this is beyond stupid. We couldn't do anything about it and of course we lost.

So 2 out of 3 matches were fine. The third match didn't go as planned and you lose your shit. gg?

Rockyrock

You can't have people join mid match when theyre searching ranked.

If you meant the player left before the round officially started than yes I agree it's dumb that the round proceeds. It should be like rocket league where if the damn starts with unbalanced teams it just ends it automatically so you dont get an unfair loss

Sn4ke_911

So 2 out of 3 matches were fine. The third match didn't go as planned and you lose your shit. gg?

Did you even read my post? i lost the 3rd match because someone left at the beginning, if we lost with a full team and noobs i would accept it but this shit was unfair, it was not our fault that we lost.

fresquito

Another game, another amazing match in Comp. I though we'd do bad, because the levels of our rivels were so much higher than ours, but no. We did King's Row. Both teams took it to the end and the backflip smiled on us: Attack. We coordinated great and took the first point by storm.

Fun fact: In the Sudden Death, we were talking about how we would do things. I told a guy that I didn't think we'd need a Pharah, but we'd need a Mercy. And know what? he switched to Mercy! I was close to tears. First time I suggest someone to change and he actually changes!

So far, I'm 6-1, my only lost game being from a guy disconnecting. I still think I will be below 50.

Sorral

lmao I love how the AI goes '...Voted for myself'

I'm on PC now and rank4 getting used to the controls. I want my unlocks on my PS4 version so badly though. ;;

What's everyone's mouse sensitivity at? Anything drastic you guys do around here? I'm getting used to m/k again it seems.

Sn4ke_911

If you meant the player left before the round officially started than yes I agree it's dumb that the round proceeds. It should be like rocket league where if the damn starts with unbalanced teams it just ends it automatically so you dont get an unfair loss

Yeah he left before the match even started. We couldn't do anything about it.

Interfectum

Did you even read my post? i lost the 3rd match because someone left at the beginning, if we lost with a full team and noobs i would accept it but this shit was unfair, it was not our fault that we lost.

I mean... shit happens? Just weird that the first bad experience you want to drop the whole mode when your first two matches went great. I'd wait and see if it plagued the mode before jumping out.

Animator

That's weird. When that happened to me yesterday game said "a player left the match, competitive match will cancel in 30 secs, this will not effect your stats" or something and quit us to the main menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom