• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakish

5/3 so far in placement, had some good games with a friend. A somewhat frustrating loss in the last game on Nepal, so close to winning several of the rounds but no dice.

Having a lot of fun with the mode, I like that the maps are extended compared to QP and the 2CP system with having 10 min total over several rounds beats the hell out of the regular rules. 5 rounds on KOTH feels good to. We didn't get a Payload map yet so can't tell how those feel, the sudden death mechanic seems stupid so I'm happy they're looking to change it for the next season.

This is the most depressing game I've ever played, 5 golds. With horrible stats. Just wow haha.

GDweopv.jpg

The placement matches has gone well so far, 3-0.

I might have turned into a one-trick pony though lol. Roadhog is just so good in killing flankers and holding them off our support. Since they nerfed McCree, there are not many heroes doing the job as well as Roadhog. Rocking a 6.9:1 K/D atm. :"D

Nice! I'm at 3-1 so far, but I crashed during the game I lost and couldn't rejoin fast enough.

Roadhog is so good as a patient defensive tank. I love picking off Pharahs and Tracers that try to push the point by sneaking around.

Yeah I feel the same, Ranked got too annoying for me to tolerate so I just said "to hell with it" and went back to regular Matchmaking. Just as many losses but at least I'm not losing rankings or anything.

And no getting yelled at for playing a videogame. Even cs:go has a better community.

Zemm

The rank gain for KotH wins is 100% fucked and/or bugged surely? Seeing all the streamers getting jack shit for winning as well as myself winning 4 games and moving about 40% of a level just is not right at all. Payload seems fine, but KotH is definitely broken.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The rank gain for KotH wins is 100% fucked and/or bugged surely? Seeing all the streamers getting jack shit for winning as well as myself winning 4 games and moving about 40% of a level just is not right at all. Payload seems fine, but KotH is definitely broken.

Apparently KotH has been broken since PTR, and the problem knowingly got carried over into live competitive. =\

The more I read, the more competitive seems rushed. I'm just gonna stick with Quick Play and maintain my sanity.

Zemm

Yeah I think I'm with you there, CBA with winning 4 games in a row and moving about 40% of a level then losing 1 game and losing a whole level. That's not fun.

Randdalf

I really love playing Pharah so much more than any other hero in this game. The freedom of movement is incredible, and its feels really good when you're efficiently traversing levels using her jump and jets. Dive bombing Hanzos and McCrees is the best.

Zemm

Apparently KotH has been broken since PTR, and the problem knowingly got carried over into live competitive. =\

The more I read, the more competitive seems rushed. I'm just gonna stick with Quick Play and maintain my sanity.

Just saw this:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745665208#post-3

Hope they can fix it soon, no way it isn't bugged getting 10% of what you're supposed to on KoTH. If it was just me then I'd say there was some funky matchmaking shenanigans going on, but every single streamer has this issue too.

Banzai

4-6 in placements, at 48 sp. Not at all happy with that. I had some reeeeally rough placement games.
It really felt like I had just turned up the difficulty mode or something. I got absolutely obliterated in those 6 losses. Is that the ranked effect?

eek5

4-6 in placements, at 48 sp. Not at all happy with that. I had some reeeeally rough placement games.
It really felt like I had just turned up the difficulty mode or something. I got absolutely obliterated in those 6 losses. Is that the ranked effect?

48 isn't even that bad though

zoukka

Lost most of my placement matches. Even my opponents said my team sucked and that I carried them in some matches xD

Fuck blizzard and their shit matchmaking forced 50/50 raping system.

I would not be salty at all if I got owned fair and square... it's funny. Now that the placements are done and the climbing to decent rank would take ages I have zero motivation to play this game anymore. Good job Blizz.

Yes, only profiles that have been looked up will fall there but still get a decent sample from what's been scraped.

Ok cool that’s what I thought. Stats are probably a bit skewed. If you’re taking the time to look up your stats on the 3rd party site, chances are you’re more invested into the game and a better player than the average player. It’s still neat to have a general idea though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
People are weird, had teammates goading me because of who I rolled. Even though I spent the majority of the match actively trying to kill or distract their healers in between defending or contesting the point. The healers were a Lucio and Mercy both of who did a really good job of sticking to tanks or their Reaper. Of course this fact flew over their head and they just spent a chunk of the game circlejerking themselves over their stats and passively shitting on me over the mic while they got to clean up the team that wasn't getting healed.

Firestorm

Lost most of my placement matches. Even my opponents said my team sucked and that I carried them in some matches xD

I would not be salty at all if I got owned fair and square... it's funny. Now that the placements are done and the climbing to decent rank would take ages I have zero motivation to play this game anymore. Good job Blizz.

that's not how it works but ok there

eek5

Ok cool that’s what I thought. Stats are probably a bit skewed. If you’re taking the time to look up your stats on the 3rd party site, chances are you’re more invested into the game and a better player than the average player. It’s still neat to have a general idea though.

Except for the two dudes that got 27 skill rating :\

I'm pretty sure Kaplan said there is no forced 50 and even asked people to stop asking about it because it wasn't true. At least I think he said that.

DrArchon

Got through placements just now. Fuck me there are some awful people playing Overwatch. Had to ask a guy if we wanted me to play as Mercy instead because he clearly had no idea what he was doing (sniping guys with his pistol instead of healing people at critical health). Also some nice people playing, like the guy who agreed with me that we probably didn't need a Widow on Hollywood attack (turns out I was right).

Ended up 4W-6L, which wasn't great but whatever. That's about what I expected. Got rank 46 for my troubles, which I guess is nice.

eek5

it's below average, right? Enough to make me feel disappointed.
Probably the equivalent of lower silver in lol.
The majority of players tracked are between 45-55. 48 is slightly to the left of the peak of the bell curve. It's not pro skill rating but it's not bad either.

it's below average, right? Enough to make me feel disappointed.
Probably the equivalent of lower silver in lol.

45-55 is the top of the bell curve, so completely average. Most players will end up there after cals.

We don't even know the calibration limits either.

In Dota 2, there are 3 9K MMR players, which if they played on a new account couldn't break 4.5K with their calibration matches because that's as high as Valve will let you rank during your calibration matches.

Zemm

"our reinhardt is doing a good job, I know what, I'll switch to reinhardt too and force our good one to pick another class whilst I do a spectacularly shit job at tanking"

I hope bad things happen to these people.

eek5

45-55 is the top of the bell curve, so completely average. Most players will end up there after cals.

We don't even know the calibration limits either.

In Dota 2, there are 3 9K MMR players, which if they played on a new account couldn't break 4.5K with their calibration matches because that's as high as Valve will let you rank during your calibration matches.

The placement starting point seems to be your quick play hidden-MMR. (which is probably why you need to play to at least level 25 so they can get some kind of baseline)

The highest recorded placement so far is 77 (by Surefour) and I think the lowest is 27. Surefour mainly does quickplay with his pro team and he has an insane win% so hes probably one of the top MMR for quick play.

I really love playing Pharah so much more than any other hero in this game. The freedom of movement is incredible, and its feels really good when you're efficiently traversing levels using her jump and jets. Dive bombing Hanzos and McCrees is the best.

Same. Good God that's a lot of final blows.

abundant

"our reinhardt is doing a good job, I know what, I'll switch to reinhardt too and force our good one to pick another class whilst I do a spectacularly shit job at tanking"

I hope bad things happen to these people.

Why would the original Reinhardt switch heroes? Stacked Reinhardt is a viable strategy, provided your other teammates are good.

reinhardt stacks are awful lol. it's not like winston where you leap into the backline and smash them with 100DPS, you just have double fire strike and shields and...that's it.

Zemm

Why would the original Reinhardt switch heroes? Stacked Reinhardt is a viable strategy, provided your other teammates are good.

we were moving through the payload pretty well and when he switched we just didn't have the dps. I'd take any other tank over a 2nd reinhardt unless they're some gimmick torb team.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
reinhardt stacks are awful lol. it's not like winston where you leap into the backline and smash them with 100DPS, you just have double fire strike and shields and...that's it.

It works like this.

Reinhard one steadily moves forward with their shield. Once it breaks, Reinhard 2 steps up with his shield while the first one recharges. I was on a team with double Rein some time ago and it was really impressive watching them cycle shields and just bulldoze their way through Numbani.

Double Zarya works the same way.

Lupercal

Banned
The servers were laggy on ranked yesterday too. I think it was apart of me getting a 46 ranking. I was lagging out in every match.

I got 46 too ! :p
We went up againt some Russian team (russian names atleast) and they had a Hanzo that was just ridiculous.
I know the scatter arrow is OP but goddamn, he wiped out our team with one of them.

And I boosted myself over the edge twice in Ilios.
Fix it Blizzard pls

Ahh yes, the beauty of skilled based rankings. The placement of the initial rank doesn't matter, it's where you go from there. If you're truly better than your rank, you'll easy level up (look at seagull). Right now there is not enough stats to establish a good baseline for placements (quick play does not count, casual experience should never influence competitive). Next season you'll get a proper placement (unless they scrap the current system).

For skill-based (elo) systems, win/loss has a small connection on what your rank is. The true indicator is the ranking of your opponents and your teammates. The better your opponents are than your team, the more you stand to win (if you win) and if you lose, you lose much less points. Depending on how the system is designed, if a stacked pro team vs a very low ranking team, it could be possible to gain points even if you lose. Why? If you're consistently killing a high ranked pro player like surefour (let's say you killed him 15 times), that's going to have more of a bearing to your rank than killing someone at rank 27 even if you killed that person 50 times.

That being said, ELO systems take weeks to properly calculate rankings and moving people to their correct rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom