• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I prefer Overwatch as it is now that it's quickplay only. You see a lot of more funny stuff. Ranked was awful with a lot of jug voiced tweenagers crying about people's picks and wanting to do that awful 2-2-2 setup. Yeah having two supports might be ok if your slam pick McCree player was a top 2 percenter instead of XxxGoku-420xxX. Trying to do double support and double tank for most Overwatch players is like having a defensive trilane in a 2k mmr Dota game.

What's that sound squawking in from the voice channel? "Can you switch to a support or tank?" Well sure thing, buddy. I'm gonna support as Hanzo Daddy by carrying your potato rear end to victory and tanking all your badness. Godbless.

Ehhh, I really disagree. 222 set-up is great. I usually queue with a friend or two and we never aim to have that set up (we party chat over XBL, not in-game) but when we luck up on it does work really well.

Funny stuff is all well and good on occasion. Right now it's every match though. I'm all for humor, but it's just annoying with how frequent it is right now.

ekim

Could be an effect of the DDOS attack. Blizzard's been struggling with it for a day or two now. I've been seeing stuff like positions not updating, hits not registering, new players joining a match and never picking a character, and frequent disconnects. I really hope they can get on top of things soon, because the game is unplayable at times. You can consider yourself lucky if you can finish a game as a 6 v 6.

Even the launcher can't download some pictures off the servers at the moment.
zLx9nnz.png

Turning on Friendly Fire would be a pretty interesting ult idea. People would have to be really careful during a push, especially characters who deal splash damage. Maybe it could affect ults too, so that a Zarya Ult will suck up everyone, a Zenyatta heals everyone, etc. It would be an elegant fix for cheap teams turtling up with turrets too. If those turrets can turn on you for a few seconds, people won't be as quick to pick them in quick play final pushes.

Didn't even think about the possibilities of this also affecting healing and other Ultimates. Turrets picking up your own team would also be funny.

Banzai

I prefer Overwatch as it is now that it's quickplay only. You see a lot of more funny stuff. Ranked was awful with a lot of jug voiced tweenagers crying about people's picks and wanting to do that awful 2-2-2 setup. Yeah having two supports might be ok if your slam pick McCree player was a top 2 percenter instead of XxxGoku-420xxX. Trying to do double support and double tank for most Overwatch players is like having a defensive trilane in a 2k mmr Dota game.

What's that sound squawking in from the voice channel? "Can you switch to a support or tank?" Well sure thing, buddy. I'm gonna support as Hanzo Daddy by carrying your potato rear end to victory and tanking all your badness. Godbless.

It's exactly because of XxxGoku-420xxX playing McCree and failing at it that you need 222 comps.

ekim

It's exactly because of XxxGoku-420xxX playing McCree and failing at it that you need 222 comps.

Just wanted to write this. 222 is not set in stone but it's a good alternative if you are playing Solo-Q especially in Elo Hell. lol

Pooya

This new map is going to be a slaughter in pubs, if you don't have a somewhat coordinating team, even capping the first point is super hard. If defense has a half decent junkrat, you will be stuck in that arc forever.

Flanking isn't exactly easy in this map, you can fly over the building to the other side but the defense still have a very good position even there.

The second part is a huge mess. It's like the church in Dorado but even better for defense. That high ground platform is so damn good and hard to reach. Again perfect for Junkrat or Hanzo.

The last push it's comically defense favored, like attackers spawn is so far across the bridge and inside of the castle, you can get shot at from any direction really.

ekim

This new map is going to be a slaughter in pubs, if you don't have a somewhat coordinating team, even capping the first point is super hard. If defense has a half decent junkrat, you will be stuck in that arc forever.

Flanking isn't exactly easy in this map, you can fly over the building to the other side but the defense still have a very good position even there.

The second part is a huge mess. It's like the church in Dorado but even better for defense. That high ground platform is so damn good and hard to reach. Again perfect for Junkrat or Hanzo.

The last push it's comically defense favored, like attackers spawn is so far across the bridge and inside of the castle, you can get shot at from any direction really.

Now imagine, coin-flip still being in place with Eichenwalde in ranked mode.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I dunno, last part has a lot of fun flanking spot for attackers. I got a quad kill high noon leading to a complete team wipe. I'd imagine that reaper and tracer will have a lot of fun. Also seriously, zarya's ult make trying to hold a defensive position kinda moot.

2nd part is just a battle for the high ground, because attackers do have a better vantage point to attack on the castle if the defense team tries to use the bridge at all. Another great high noon zoning area.

I honestly don't know though. I'd say I've won attack and defense equally.

zoukka

So just like in any other map before people learned to attack.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know, other maps have easy flank paths, this is almost like temple of anubis.

Which have really easy flanking paths with plenty of cover for attackers?

Honestly, of all the 2CP maps temple of anubis feels like the easiest to attack to me if you have a halfway competent team.

edgefusion

It has become SUBSTANTIALLY less fun to play this game now all the hardcore MLG noscope pros have been forced into Quick Play. Legit pro Genjis EVERYWHERE wrecking shit up.

duckroll

The new map is deceptive in the current state. It certainly looks like defenders have a big advantage, but that's only because attackers tend to not know where to go. A lot of the frustration comes from being spawn camped, in my experience, because it is easier for defenders to spawn camp on a new map when attackers aren't sure how to best funnel out. The spawn exits are obvious, so defenders use that as a guide to trap attackers in. The weak spots in the defense is less obvious because you have to actually get out and explore a bit to understand your options.

Once people are more familiar with the map, it's going to be soooooooo fun on both sides.

ekim

Hey, I'm pretty sure there was a list of products made by that bakery on that board before.

and it's written in greek, not spanish on the order side of this chalkboard.

dayum less than 7 hours to go, the hype is rising again.

I also noticed some changes some days ago in a map. Don't remember what exactly tho.

duckroll

LOL. I just had a thought. Remember that stupid ass Soldier animated short with the girl? What if... she's Sombra. After being inspired by Soldier 76, we get a new hero, teenage hacker!!!!

It's dependent on your hero and your role. But overall if you're not someone like Reinhardt who is supposed to protect the team, try not to be in the front lines and move unpredictably.

Also, if you're a support character, NEVER BE ALONE !

That depends highly on your character and the map

Depends on your play style / character you're using, but I've found that the most important thing is knowing when to leave a firefight you're likely to lose. A lot of people just try and constantly brute force certain firefights and they'll keep getting killed with nothing to show for it. I know it sounds straight forward but sometimes running off to get health and regrouping is the best option.
So what if I am playing a character like McCree?

ramyeon

LOL. I just had a thought. Remember that stupid ass Soldier animated short with the girl? What if... she's Sombra. After being inspired by Soldier 76, we get a new hero, teenage hacker!!!!

This theory has actually been floating around for awhile.

DevilDog

It has become SUBSTANTIALLY less fun to play this game now all the hardcore MLG noscope pros have been forced into Quick Play. Legit pro Genjis EVERYWHERE wrecking shit up.

Go torbjorn every match dude, even if you dont like playing as him, the genji tears will make up for it.

I would know :(

LiK

For over 10 seconds?

i've lagged for over 30 sec to a minute before. Not unusual if you happen to be on a server in another region. I've had this happen almost every time I played with people in my friend list who are overseas.

Also, was playing QP with Gaffers and we were doing alright until the other group decided to just stack Winstons to attack in Anubis. That was pretty irritating and reminded me why I hate stacking again. So so lame. I wish we had an unranked mode with 1 hero limit. That's how we were playing it while we practiced/messed around.

Raxanas

Neo Member
Since i am Greek i will TL this
Sign:
Dish of the day
Wines
Cheese tasting

And on the building:
It says paraphrased "A lot of Cheese"

Rize_21

This looks like basic reusing of assets. I bet the other side of the greek sign is blank.

yeah it's blank, expected that too, felt like playing Where in the world is Carmen San Diego for a short moment.
Does a fellow greek or someone knowing the language can translate what's written on these pictures?

e: thanks Raxanas, seems like Widowmaker is living the dream lol.

Anne

So what if I am playing a character like McCree?

Hi, I play McCree pretty well I think. A lot of it is understanding your surroundings and having awareness. Just know where to be so that it's unlikely somebody can get to you without you or somebody seeing them. If people are jumping on you, it's okay to hold flash for that. If you're near your team (McCree always should be with somebody) then a tank/support can protect you.

I just got an idea from this.

So think of the vortex shield from Titanfall, where people shoot at it, and they gather up in it and whenever you feel like it, you can shoot that stuff back at them. So you have a hero that has that, but instead of shooting it back at your enemy, you fire it towards teammates and it shoots out an AOE healing gas in any direction you want. His two abilities could also just be two forms of this shield. Your first one is a shield with the healing gas and the other ability is a shield that heals yourself based on how many projectiles you ate. Maybe make it like Dvas DM, where both shields are on a single meter, or just have them be on seperate cooldowns. Then maybe her ult can be an AOE thing that knocks back any enemies in its radius. Boom, support tank. No clue what his/her weapon would be like though. Maybe another melee tank? A character with a sword would be awesome.

What do guys think of this idea? Although I feel this would be very hard to balance and could be OP, but I just thought of it and I thought it was a cool idea.
No one shared their opinions on this cause of the Sombra hype last night, so I'm trying again lol.

Please, I want to know if this is a good idea, please. ;_;

R0ckman

Oh yeah another McCree tip, I notice that a lot of people even in group play don't get that "last ditch ult push" awareness the enemy team will do.

A good thing to use McCrees ult for is zoning, keeping people off the point and if you have good prediction, backing off from the group right before an enemy ult push and high nooning when they get confident in getting the upper hand, they will be too focused on taking advantage of their plays. Got some good kills when the enemy teams try to set up for Zarya ults and I high noon them from another position. But you have to do it during the chaos of the ult spree, so not too late but not really equal enough in response to theirs where it would be considered an immediate reaction.

KyleCross

That'd be... AWESOME!

Sadly, Blizzard will never do it. Having a teenage character being shot up in a multiplayer game is inviting controversy.

R0ckman

It's not good for zoning anymore now that the ult drains completely even if you don't fire.

Depends on how good you are doing with him I guess if you want to zone with it. A lot of times I get it back in less than a minute anyway when I completely use it up. I'll take one kill over none anyday.

Skii

I'm wondering if I should learn Tracer or McCree next. I feel like Tracer has a higher ceiling but McCree is basically good on every map and his ultimate is a lot more devastating. But a good Tracer lacks any real counter.

Oh yeah another McCree tip, I notice that a lot of people even in group play don't get that "last ditch ult push" awareness the enemy team will do.

A good thing to use McCrees ult for is zoning, keeping people off the point and if you have good prediction, backing off from the group right before an enemy ult push and high nooning when they get confident in getting the upper hand, they will be too focused on taking advantage of their plays. Got some good kills when the enemy teams try to set up for Zarya ults and I high noon them from another position. But you have to do it during the chaos of the it spree, so not too late but not really equal enough in response to theirs where it would be considered an immediate reaction.
If the PTR patch goes live, McCree's ult can no longer be used for zoning and then breaking off. You can still "zone" in the sense that it lasts a long time, but you're gonna have to pull the trigger or waste it completely. But yeah, at this point the only way to get multiple kills with it is if the entire enemy team is distracted. Also, do it from above or behind where possible. Anywhere they won't immediately think to turn and shoot at.

And don't be afraid to use it to drop a couple of key people; teams are smart enough now that you will rarely get more than that anyway. Heck, if there are seconds remaining, I'll use a Deadeye just to gank one key support.

The main thing that works for me is to sort of "magic trick" them, where they've grown used to me being in the middle of the other team, behind the Reinhardt shield, predictably in the same place, shooting back at them. Then I'll break off when no one's looking and get behind them and wait to ult, almost like I were playing Reaper. This is especially good when they're focused on capturing a point. And this actually works better against coordinated teams, because you likely won't have anyone trickling in behind their push to worry about.

LiK

Just ordered a Scuf PS4 controller for Season 2. Don't want another DS4 to wear out from an online shooter. Destiny destroyed two of them already lol

ekim

I'm wondering if I should learn Tracer or McCree next. I feel like Tracer has a higher ceiling but McCree is basically good on every map and his ultimate is a lot more devastating. But a good Tracer lacks any real counter.

I find Tracer a lot more easy to play for some reason. Do you play on PC or Console?

LiK

learn Tracer. a good Tracer is super hard to counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom