• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if I should learn Tracer or McCree next. I feel like Tracer has a higher ceiling but McCree is basically good on every map and his ultimate is a lot more devastating. But a good Tracer lacks any real counter.

I'd vote Tracer if only because McCree keeps getting his balance adjusted while Tracer feels fairly well situated to be really good but not oppressively overpowered.

I'd vote Tracer if only because McCree keeps getting his balance adjusted while Tracer feels fairly well situated to be really good but not oppressively overpowered.
Eh, they're probably done balancing McCree, as he's in a very good spot right now. This change to his ult is probably going to be the last thing they do for a very long time.

Why does no one want to give their thoughts on my character idea? ):

LiK

YouTube comment in a Sombra theory video said it might be the mother of that kid in the Hero short since you never saw her. You just heard her voice. So yea, I'm gonna say it might be the mother of that girl.

ekim

YouTube comment in a Sombra theory video said it might be the mother of that kid in the Hero short since you never saw her. You just heard her voice. So yea, I'm gonna say it might be the mother of that girl.

tumblr_m15w2guZiV1qjuuqbo2_500.jpg

Don't kill me. :eek:

No one shared their opinions on this cause of the Sombra hype last night, so I'm trying again lol.

Please, I want to know if this is a good idea, please. ;_;

I think it's a cool idea, but my main problem is in how it infringes a little on the current rosters. As is, mechanics of characters are almost completely unique.

Your idea puts a shied, Rein's unique defensive ability, and mixes in an absorption mechanic, D.Va's unique defensive ability.

It sounds fun as hell to play, though. Maybe if there were a way to make it feel less like a shield you put up? Maybe a risk/reward version, where the character becomes harder to kill as they absorb damage, but deal less damage in turn, until they release the AoE heal gas.

I think it's a cool idea, but my main problem is in how it infringes a little on the current rosters. As is, mechanics of characters are almost completely unique.

Your idea puts a shied, Rein's unique defensive ability, and mixes in an absorption mechanic, D.Va's unique defensive ability.

It sounds fun as hell to play, though. Maybe if there were a way to make it feel less like a shield you put up? Maybe a risk/reward version, where the character becomes harder to kill as they absorb damage, but deal less damage in turn, until they release the AoE heal gas.
I figured that having a shield that works somewhat similarly to Reins, but has different abilities, would work really well with a melee character, hence Rein, which is why I want to give this character a sword.

I don't know. I'd have to think more about it. I just kind of thought of it and wrote it without thinking about it too much and I kind of want to look into it more.

And her shield would only cover her and not her teammates, unlike Rein, but has abilities that still support them.

R0ckman

I'm wondering if I should learn Tracer or McCree next. I feel like Tracer has a higher ceiling but McCree is basically good on every map and his ultimate is a lot more devastating. But a good Tracer lacks any real counter.

I have both at almost 50 hours, Tracer, oh god Tracer. McCree is not good or reliable on random teams, he NEEDS his team with him most of the time. You can be awesome with him and it do no good.

Last night I had a game on PTR where I played Reaper got a 19 kill streak tons of ults, on fire over 80% of the match on Eichenwalde attack and STILL lost. That match was eye opening.

Remember that the short "Hero" takes place like 5 years before present time, so that little girl might be 18 or 19 now, although I don't think the new hero is her.

Alavard

That certainly makes more sense in at least one way - the connection to Reaper. It would be a little strange for the girl to become so inspired by Soldier 76 and other heroes only to work alongside Reaper in some capacity.

Booted up PTR last night because I'm sick of QP. I soon remembered how frustrating competitive can be! No team, Zen's ult does NOT counter D.Va's. I swear I know more about this game than 90% of people I'm matched with.

KyleCross

Remember that the short "Hero" takes place like 5 years before present time, so that little girl might be 18 or 19 now, although I don't think the new hero is her.
It does? Man, I'm behind in my lore. I figured the shorts all took place relatively close to the start of the game.

LiK

I have both at almost 50 hours, Tracer, oh god Tracer. McCree is not good or reliable on random teams, he NEEDS his team with him most of the time. You can be awesome with him and it do no good.

Last night I had a game on PTR where I played Reaper got a 19 kill streak tons of ults, on fire over 80% of the match on Eichenwalde attack and STILL lost. That match was eye opening.

McCree also constantly gets tweaked to death while Tracer hasn't been touched. I would learn a character that isn't gonna get another balance update in the near future.

Rad-

Booted up PTR last night because I'm sick of QP. I soon remembered how frustrating competitive can be! No team, Zen's ult does NOT counter D.Va's. I swear I know more about this game than 90% of people I'm matched with.

Not directly but you can block the explosion with Zen ult if allies line up behind Zen.

McCree also constantly gets tweaked to death while Tracer hasn't been touched. I would learn a character that isn't gonna get another balance update in the near future.

I think they are going to leave McCree alone for now (after the ult nerf). He is in a good spot.

I figured that having a shield that works somewhat similarly to Reins, but has different abilities, would work really well with a melee character, hence Rein, which is why I want to give this character a sword.

I don't know. I'd have to think more about it. I just kind of thought of it and wrote it without thinking about it too much and I kind of want to look into it more.

And her shield would only cover her and not her teammates, unlike Rein, but has abilities that still support them.

I love the idea of a "bottle up and explode" kind of character.

It's like what I do with feelings in my real life, but using Overwatch damage!

Tracer is also a hell of a lot easier to be super effective with while using a controller.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Like honestly he's in a pretty good place right now. The ult nerf was needed because the constant zoning was kinda ridiculous.

I love the idea of a "bottle up and explode" kind of character.

It's like what I do with feelings in my real life, but using Overwatch
Hmmm.... Maybe make it where when you use your ult, instead of just instantly knocking everyone back, you can build it up by having people shoot at you, and the more you get shot the more powerful the ult is. Maybe give her 50% damage reduction to make this easier? Although being a 400 health tank would make it ok. Then you can pop it whenever you want, but you can bottle it up and make it more powerful.

Like I said, I have to think about this a bit more and I might type up what I came up with.

Basically make this character completely revolve around people shooting at you and allowing you to heal your team. Make it where the healing for your team and yourself gets more powerful the more it gets shot at. Basically like Zarya, but this would be more short term, where Zarya is more of a long term kind of thing.

LiK

I think they are going to leave McCree alone for now (after the ult nerf). He is in a good spot.

Like honestly he's in a pretty good place right now. The ult nerf was needed because the constant zoning was kinda ridiculous.

yea, good points. i'm kinda glad for that Ult nerf as well.

Tracer is also a hell of a lot easier to be super effective with while using a controller.

Pretty true. I think playing her almost feels like you're driving a race car, tbh

Tracer is one of my favorite characters to play, her kit feels very natural and complements her play style so well. She's easy to play with controller though? I figured it would be more difficult since a lot of her damage requires twitch aiming.

Skii

I find Tracer a lot more easy to play for some reason. Do you play on PC or Console?

I play on console.

learn Tracer. a good Tracer is super hard to counter.

Okay you guys have convinced me to go with Tracer. So glad I'll be running around with that sweet GBR skin.

But I think after Tracer, I need to learn a defensive character. I only know how to play offensives like Reaper and Zenyatta lol.

LiK

Tracer is one of my favorite characters to play, her kit feels very natural and complements her play style so well. She's easy to play with controller though? I figured it would be more difficult since a lot of her damage requires twitch aiming.

If you raise your sensitivity on consoles, she's pretty natural to play. I've done decent with her even tho I don't play her often.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, love mccree now that he isn't a FtH character. His kit is the most interesting and rewarding when it comes to mechanical skill imo. Because you just have to get really good at left-clicking.

Rad-

I just realized that slowly Zarya has climbed to second highest win rate for my heroes (after Symmetra obviously).

Honestly, love mccree now that he isn't a FtH character. His kit is the most interesting and rewarding when it comes to mechanical skill imo.

When he was McSniper he was the most fun to play imo but the current one is interesting too.

Ideally you aim and fire off your whole burst at once. Her spread is so wild you lose a lot of damage by correcting while firing. While a kb/m might be better, using her is more about positioning her body with respect to the target which you could probably do fine on a console

If you raise your sensitivity on consoles, she's pretty natural to play. I've done decent with her even tho I don't play her often.

I can see it. Love that this game allows you to tweak all your settings by character. Kind of necessary, honestly.

Anne

Tracer aim can be kind of "twitchy" cause she moves fast but a lot of aiming with her comes down to tracking. Tracking is a thing that is actually probably easier to do on a console tbh.

McCree on the other hand is rewarded for those sweet ass flicks that are impossible on controller.

I wonder which one a console player might want to learn first.

LiK

After Sombra, I just want the next female hero to be completely nutso, like more nuts than Junkrat. We need more crazy characters.

I'm not sure a stealth character would fit that trope. Blizz likes to stick with stereotypes. Altho Blizz could always introduce a crazy chick with another hero.

Ramirez

Tracer aim can be kind of "twitchy" cause she moves fast but a lot of aiming with her comes down to tracking. Tracking is a thing that is actually probably easier to do on a console tbh.

McCree on the other hand is rewarded for those sweet ass flicks that are impossible on controller.

I wonder which one a console player might want to learn first.

Tracer is waaaay easier to be competent with on console. McCree is extremely hard to aim with and you're basically worthless if your aim isn't on. At least Tracer can be annoying behind the lines even if your aim isn't that great. So I'd definitely "learn" Tracer first.

NeoRaider

Question for Widowmaker players, out of curiosity:

How many kills you have per match with her? I am usually around 18-22. Is this bad? I think that once i had 24 but i literally started using her one week ago, and i think that i am becoming much better with every hero now because of Widowmaker.

Alavard

After Sombra, I just want the next female hero to be completely nutso, like more nuts than Junkrat. We need more crazy characters.

I'd like to see a female pyromaniac. Junkrat is all about explosions, so I'd love to see a crazy character all about fire.

Id say tracer, Ive been watching a lot of the Atlantic Showdown and the tracer pulse bomb + graviton surge is a super deadly combo as it cuts through Zens Ult an still kills everyone.
Where as dead eye isnt that impactful and is used more for spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom