• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Man I wish it wasn't so easy to break sleep, I just darted 3 Ults and they were all back on their feet instantly pretty much, lol. I know it's hard to refrain from shooting.

Prelude.

Man I wish it wasn't so easy to break sleep, I just darted 3 Ults and they were all back on their feet instantly pretty much, lol. I know it's hard to refrain from shooting.
The worst is when some dumb fuck shoots a sleeping ulting enemy that's been sleeping for 1-2 seconds so it clearly isn't one of those "I didn't realize he was sleeping because I started shooting a split second after he got hit by the dart" situations. Like, what's the thought process behind that decision? "I'm a 200hp character, I'm totally gonna shut down this sleeping ulting Bastion before he can wipe the team."

LiK

Hopefully the wait between Season 2 and 3 is only like a week or less next time.

I got spoiled with the way they did StarCraft II seasons.

i'm guessing once they get Comp to a point where it's good and doesn't need any more major changes, the wait will be less.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
LOL. I just had a thought. Remember that stupid ass Soldier animated short with the girl? What if... she's Sombra. After being inspired by Soldier 76, we get a new hero, teenage hacker!!!!
XO49Pfc.gif

Ketch

Learning that Winston does 50dmg for landing near an enemy for his rocket jump helps a lot. while raging his cooldown drops to like 3 seconds or something, so make sure you keep jumping.

Mainly though, his Ult is to break up momentum of the other team. The idea is to create chaos while the rest of your team is picking things off. Unless you have a ledge and can knock someone to death, don't expect to get any kills from it.

It's also just really good for staying in the fight.... It extends the jump in bubble jump out loop. Cuss you can jump in, bubble, bubble breaks, almost dead? Ulti! Bubble again after or jump out to safety. That's a good long time to be in the back line causin havoc.

Also, another pro tip about Winston bubble is that hanzo scatter shot will ricochet around inside an enemy winstons shield, which really fucks up any enemies inside of it.

darklin0

Banned
Learning that Winston does 50dmg for landing near an enemy for his rocket jump helps a lot. while raging his cooldown drops to like 3 seconds or something, so make sure you keep jumping.

Mainly though, his Ult is to break up momentum of the other team. The idea is to create chaos while the rest of your team is picking things off. Unless you have a ledge and can knock someone to death, don't expect to get any kills from it.

I got a quadra kill in Kings Row with his ult last night, it all depends where you pop it. Enclosed location? Smash people to death. If it is a wider area, go for disrupt. I mainly push away tanks so they can't cover their team.

Ok, so after getting some opinions on my character idea for a support tank, I decided that it might not work well and i thought of something else.

So you have a tank with, say, 400 or 500 health. The weapon is a Glaive that deals 75 damage like Rein. The first ability is an AOE heal that heals surrounding teammates and gives some other buff to them so that it isnt a worse version of Lucios heal. This would also heal yourself, but maybe not give you the extra buff. The other ability will surround your character with fire, damaging nearby enemies. This ability gives you a 100 health shield and this ability ends when you deactivate it yourself or someone destroys the shield, so it has to do a lot of damage, otherwise it would be pretty weak with the shield thing. Then the ult would be an AOE knockback that would be great for screwing with formations.

Basically this would be a hero that is all about being in the middle of everything while supporting your team and still dealing solid damage. Basically it would look something like this:http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...ial_Art.png/revision/latest?cb=20160523053120

I got a quadra kill in Kings Row with his ult last night, it all depends where you pop it. Enclosed location? Smash people to death. If it is a wider area, go for disrupt. I mainly push away tanks so they can't cover their team.

Like I said, Don't go in expecting kills. Do they happen? Sure. But that's not the point of the Ult.

duckroll

Like I said, Don't go in expecting kills. Do they happen? Sure. But that's not the point of the Ult.

Yeah Winston's ult is best for clearance. If we're on defend and the timer is almost over, I'll hold it until Overtime and pop it to throw everyone trying for the final push away from the point or payload.

R0ckman

Sometimes you still accomplish this by Reins who make dumb "clever" moves like sacrificing themselves for the team. On the Russian level on the last point a Rein charged me off the map when I ulted, which caused his team a wipe from my teams push.

Got bored, wrote some opinions about the support stuff we talked about earlier. Give it a read and hit me up if you feel like it.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1l4u

I've got some thoughts/questions if you'll oblige me.

First off, you say that ideally 2/2/2 wouldn't be the meta forever. But you don't seem to take take issue with two DPS or two tanks, mainly just the two supports. Assuming I'm right, is that because: The two supports are so much more important than the other four (I'm not even sure if that's true?), the two supports are exclusively Lucio and Zenyatta, or because you think that the non healing factor of supports would be better in toned down forms on other classes? I'm guessing that most people think that ideally the team comps would be 1/1/1/1 with two wildcards depending on map, play style, etc. But are you saying since that's unrealistic give us a hybrid that makes 2 supports not always required?

The other question is about speed boost. You always say it's far and away the best ability in the game, and I believe you. Yesterday me and 5 gaffers decided to just speed right onto Hanamura point A to see if it would work. We ended up capping both points in about 3 minutes or so. The other team was woefully unprepared. Things like that, or boosting from spawn to get people into the fight, or even just passive speed boost seem great. What I don't really understand (and this is considered the BIG thing for why speed boost is so OP) why does every fight have to starts with an amped up speed boost? And how helpful is it outside of the pro scene?

For example, if I'm playing with 5 gaffers, or even solo queuing in competitive with a reasonably coordinated team and we are about to start an attack on the point in KOTH I really don't see why I should start that fight by amping up speed boost. The obvious reason is that people aren't ready for it and overshoot their targets horribly, and even if I said
"get ready to go fast"
I feel like the response would be
"OK, why?
Why not start the fight with passive speed boost so my team is just a bit faster than theirs which could make all the difference and because they are used to moving at that speed they can still fight effectively. Then when health becomes a factor, I amp up the heals? That seems way better to me, but I know i'm wrong so please explain. I watch the pro games, but they rarely focus on the Lucio and it's hard to know exactly how they are utilizing that boost.

Ok, so after getting some opinions on my character idea for a support tank, I decided that it might not work well and i thought of something else.

So you have a tank with, say, 400 or 500 health. The weapon is a Glaive that deals 75 damage like Rein. The first ability is an AOE heal that heals surrounding teammates and gives some other buff to them so that it isnt a worse version of Lucios heal. This would also heal yourself, but maybe not give you the extra buff. The other ability will surround your character with fire, damaging nearby enemies. This ability gives you a 100 health shield and this ability ends when you deactivate it yourself or someone destroys the shield, so it has to do a lot of damage, otherwise it would be pretty weak with the shield thing. Then the ult would be an AOE knockback that would be great for screwing with formations.

Basically this would be a hero that is all about being in the middle of everything while supporting your team and still dealing solid damage. Basically it would look something like this:http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...ial_Art.png/revision/latest?cb=20160523053120
Why does no one like to give their thoughts on my ideas
except letdown
?

If I get enough support for this, I could post on the Blizz forums. We could get hybrid heroes in his game(maybe).

Jellie

First off, you say that ideally 2/2/2 wouldn't be the meta forever. But you don't seem to take take issue with two DPS or two tanks, mainly just the two supports. Assuming I'm right, is that because: The two supports are so much more important than the other four (I'm not even sure if that's true?), the two supports are exclusively Lucio and Zenyatta, or because you think that the non healing factor of supports would be better in toned down forms on other classes? I'm guessing that most people think that ideally the team comps would be 1/1/1/1 with two wildcards depending on map, play style, etc. But are you saying since that's unrealistic give us a hybrid that makes 2 supports not always required?

The other question is about speed boost. You always say it's far and away the best ability in the game, and I believe you. Yesterday me and 5 gaffers decided to just speed right onto Hanamura point A to see if it would work. We ended up capping both points in about 3 minutes or so. The other team was woefully unprepared. Things like that, or boosting from spawn to get people into the fight, or even just passive speed boost seem great. What I don't really understand (and this is considered the BIG thing for why speed boost is so OP) why does every fight have to starts with an amped up speed boost? And how helpful is it outside of the pro scene?

For example, if I'm playing with 5 gaffers, or even solo queuing in competitive with a reasonably coordinated team and we are about to start an attack on the point in KOTH I really don't see why I should start that fight by amping up speed boost. The obvious reason is that people aren't ready for it and overshoot their targets horribly, and even if I said
"get ready to go fast"
"OK, why?
Why not start the fight with passive speed boost so my team is just a bit faster than theirs which could make all the difference and because they are used to moving at that speed they can still fight effectively. Then when health becomes a factor, I amp up the heals? That seems way better to me, but I know i'm wrong so please explain. I watch the pro games, but they rarely focus on the Lucio and it's hard to know exactly how they are utilizing that boost.

I'll give some answers even though I didn't write the initial write up.

I think the issue with two supports is that DPS and tanks have more options. You can pick other DPS or tanks to counterplay or for certain maps. There are only 5 support of which only 4 can heal. Lucio and zenyatta are also far and away the best supports making two two automatic picks. Two supports will most likely always be needed as if one is killed you can still sustain your team during the fight.

Think I was in the hanamura game yesterday. Normally that wouldn't work as it was still 6 v 6. Speed boost is used to engage when you have an advantage such as positional, ults or number of players alive. It allows you to get into favourable positions or focus on a player who is out of position. It isn't just for choke points.

Blinck

Been playing this lately and I love the gameplay in this game, but something just really feels off.

Doesn't feel like a Blizzard game and I think it comes down to the world building.

I love the graphics, art style, etc, but something about the game world/universe just feels off to me. Like some big piece is missing. Not sure if it's because it was supposed to be a huge MMO and it's now a competitive shooter and so it just feels disconnected...I don't know, something just doesn't stick.
I have this weird feeling when I launch the game that something is amiss and I don't get that in all other blizzard games. Just feels incomplete for some reason.

duckroll

Overwatch feels more like a Blizzard game than anything I've played from Blizzard in a long, long time. Well other than Hearthstone. Everything about it is polished, fast, fun, and there's attention to detail and expanded lore everywhere. Lots of humor too.

LiK

Been playing this lately and I love the gameplay in this game, but something just really feels off.

Doesn't feel like a Blizzard game and I think it comes down to the world building.

I love the graphics, art style, etc, but something about the game world/universe just feels off to me. Like some big piece is missing. Not sure if it's because it was supposed to be a huge MMO and it's now a competitive shooter and so it just feels disconnected...I don't know, something just doesn't stick.
I have this weird feeling when I launch the game that something is amiss and I don't get that in all other blizzard games. Just feels incomplete for some reason.

story mode would be real nice. if only.

Think I was in the hanamura game yesterday. Normally that wouldn't work as it was still 6 v 6. Speed boost is used to engage when you have an advantage such as positional, ults or number of players alive. It allows you to get into favourable positions or focus on a player who is out of position. It isn't just for choke points.

What does that mean though? Just assume we are attacking a KOTH point, what is a more favorable position in that square? Especially if you know that the other team is about to get the same boost? How would you decide what a favorable position is?

If someone told me that it only works better with pro teams I would accept that answer. But if you want me to change my Lucio playstyle with randoms or just non pro teams that couldn't immediately pick out an 'out of position' player or exactly what position on the point they want to take. Then I need to know why.

duckroll

story mode would be real nice. if only.

I am confident that at some point in the future, they will either release a different Overwatch game with a full story mode, or they will start releasing single-player and/or co-op story "episodes" to the game.

LiK

I am confident that at some point in the future, they will either release a different Overwatch game with a full story mode, or they will start releasing single-player and/or co-op story "episodes" to the game.

i would like this to happen.

matmanx1

Haha, ok that is hilarious. I mean I feel badly for the people on this guy's team but talk about an epic odyssey to the very bottom of the abyss. I bet none of us have seen the things that this man has seen.

We just thought we were in a bad way with our solo que in the 40's. Nay, this man, this Hanjo, has seen the true depths of hell and indeed has paved the way there!

Beckx

kind of like the hearthstone way, release episodes and you get a skin, emote, or something when you beat it. i'd be up for that.

Pachimari

Got back into this, and had a wonderful first game, levelled up to lvl 8, got 8 kills and 1 death etc. And a victory. Then goes on to die 10 times and get 1 kill the next game. I got 5 loot boxes though.

I know I've kind of been spamming this, but can some people please give their opinions on my design for a new character up above before it gets totally consumed by the possible Sombra hype?

I know I've kind of been spamming this, but can some people please give their opinions on my design for a new character up above before it gets totally consumed by the possible Sombra hype?

Flesh it out some more. It's looks like a couple of ideas thrown together. Consider the characters natural balances and counters. Who is this hero good against, who is good against it. That kind of thing.

Jellie

What does that mean though? Just assume we are attacking a KOTH point, what is a more favorable position in that square? Especially if you know that the other team is about to get the same boost? How would you decide what a favorable position is?

If someone told me that it only works better with pro teams I would accept that answer. But if you want me to change my Lucio playstyle with randoms or just non pro teams that couldn't immediately pick out an 'out of position' player or exactly what position on the point they want to take. Then I need to know why.
I'll use reaper as an example. He benefits from being up close near the enemy team. You can speed boost him towards their tanks or speed boost his ultimate. Can also help your team retreat if they overextend. Not sure about specific example for koth but I'm general it's best to get control of high ground and to surround the enemy. I would say speed boost is more high level team play/pro level due to high coordination needed by the team.

duckroll

I don't like the concept of a tank-class character being able to heal a group because that defeats the purpose of the tank/support synergy. If you have a tank who can heal a whole group and buff the group, and also have 100 shields on a cooldown ability that also does AOE damage, why would anyone play Reinhardt?

Also, I think the BIGGEST problem with bleeding healing skills out to other classes is that it would not solve the "problem" of dual supports, but will instead introduce the meta of dual supports stacking WITH a "support" tank or "support DPS. As it is, a team with Lucio/Zen/Soldier working together well on KotH is already a huge pain to damage. Now imagine Lucio/Zen/Soldier/HealingTank grouped together holding a chokepoint with 2 other characters adding pure DPS and benefiting from 4x healing. That makes the problem worse, not better!

Anne

"get ready to go fast"
"OK, why?

I don't have much against 2/2/2 for example, but I Feel like double support leads to a lot of the comps we have now. The dependency on 2 supports locks up quite a bit of a comp and the fact we can't have self reliant supports feels "off." It's completely unrealistic to not run 2 supports and that kind of sucks in general; I think it would be better for there to be more heroes that can offset the problems that a solo supports has rather than just put in two healing supports. Like I'd like a CC based kit like Mei to take a support slot, but since she can't heal that's unreasonable. The "need a second healer" requirement is pretty lame and the signs point to Blizzard wanting it to not be that way too.

Speed boost is just good in almost any fight because it just makes it so the other team can't react as well to a collapse. Like, you speedboost McCree to flash whoever needs to be flashed faster. You boost Reaper to get on top of people and deal more damage faster. You boost your Rein shield forward so that people can safely move up quicker. Like, since everybody is faster they get to better choose how they want to attack people, and they don't really leave a lot of room for reactions. If people try to run or split you just chase them down too.

I don't like the concept of a tank-class character being able to heal a group because that defeats the purpose of the tank/support synergy. If you have a tank who can heal a whole group and buff the group, and also have 100 shields on a cooldown ability that also does AOE damage, why would anyone play Reinhardt?

Also, I think the BIGGEST problem with bleeding healing skills out to other classes is that it would not solve the "problem" of dual supports, but will instead introduce the meta of dual supports stacking WITH a "support" tank or "support DPS. As it is, a team with Lucio/Zen/Soldier working together well on KotH is already a huge pain to damage. Now imagine Lucio/Zen/Soldier/HealingTank grouped together holding a chokepoint with 2 other characters adding pure DPS and benefiting from 4x healing. That makes the problem worse, not better!

Well, there has to be a trade off for getting healing first off. If you make a tank that has heals, you can't give them a hammer. If people stack a healing tank with more healing and supports then that's an issue. You'd really just need to make it so that if that is happening, it can still be blown through or played around with some things.

Flesh it out some more. It's looks like a couple of ideas thrown together. Consider the characters natural balances and counters. Who is this hero good against, who is good against it. That kind of thing.
I mean, basically characters with range will excel against this character, but she will dominate in close quarters, while supporting her team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom