• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had fun in solo queue.

I did too, but the solo queue experience heavily favors QP over comp most due to the rules on leaving - in QP you can leave if you queue with a terrible team, other players leaving will be replaced, you don't have to play maps you're sick of playing. When you play as a group you don't have to worry about leavers or being stuck with terrible teams as much as do in solo queue.

I get that the thrill of the back and forth of competitive is awesome, and I definitely enjoy the set-up of having attack AND defend determine your victory. But there's just so much chaff out there (especially in the lower levels) that I can see why people who don't have a solid group would stay away from comp.

I think Tracer and Genji players probably do the best in solo qs. they can dominate entire teams.

Also this. In a group you can all choose your mains and determine who's best in each role for the situation. Solo, some guy can choose your best character and suck balls with him, and you're stuck playing Lucio because everyone on your team was yelling at you to switch off of Ana because she sucks, except Ana is way better for the current set-up...and so on.

Having to be the support in solo queue is either really fun or an exercise in futility. No inbetween there.

A few things to check. Did you rebind crouch to L3 recently, or any other button that you are hitting regularly?

Are you moving a constant speed from your stick being neutral, to your stick being 100% in 1 direction. You should move faster the further your stick is pressed. If you are building up speed and then come to a crawl, your sticks are going out, and you'll need a new DS4.

Is your stick not centered when it first gets power? Causing problems with the default position.

It's like you say in your second paragraph where I will push the stick all the way and the character will move slow intermittently. I haven't noticed this in any other games though, so that's why I didn't think it could be something about the gamepad.

I will try things out in other games, see if it happens in those also.

Fuck, I don't want to get a new DS4, shit's expensive!

LiK

DS4 analog stick breaking is one of the biggest issues I've had when I was a hardcore Destiny player. Broke two DS4s that way cuz you had to click down to run with it. This is why I refuse to map any abilities to the sticks for OW.

Speaking of which, SCUF controller has been delivered. Excited to try it out this week.

Jellie

DS4 analog stick breaking is one of the biggest issues I've had when I was a hardcore Destiny player. Broke two DS4s that way cuz you had to click down to run with it. This is why I refuse to map any abilities to the sticks for OW.

Speaking of which, SCUF controller has been delivered. Excited to try it out this week.
Got l3 for Lucio's cross-fade :/ not sure what to rebind it to now.

Speaking of rebinding, what is the best button to use for tracers ultimate on ps4. Currently have it as l2.

Speaking of rebinding, what is the best button to use for tracers ultimate on ps4. Currently have it as l2.

tumblr_n4c68h8ZWd1tuwwroo1_250.gif

How are you blinking????

antitrop

Putting Lucio's jump on L2 was a really good way to break that button. The DS4 is such a piece of shit, but I don't want to buy a replacement with the Neo so close.

Owzers

Putting Lucio's jump on L2 was a really good way to break that button. The DS4 is such a piece of shit, but I don't want to buy a replacement with the Neo so close.
I worry about this but don't want to change jump from L2, surely I can keep from pressing too hard on it. The trigger hinge also makes a creaking noise....

LiK

DS4 sticks and triggers are easily worn down from just playing regularly. If you buy a new DS4 right now, you'll be amazed how much tighter and firmer the triggers are when you press them. The don't just creak but they become quite loose.

Jellie

Hands on L2 and R2 at the same time just feels way more natural, right? You'll be blinking much more than you'll be throwing a pulse bomb (My pulse bomb is still triangle btw.)
I've been playing with fingers on l1, l2, r1 and r2 the whole time. Have I been doing it wrong the whole time? 😂😂😂
I prefer it not on triangle now since can aim it easier. My stickys accuracy has gone up since.

I've been playing with fingers on l1, l2, r1 and r2 the whole time. Have I been doing it wrong the whole time? 😂😂😂
I prefer it not on triangle now since can aim it easier. My stickys accuracy has gone up since.

You play with four different fingers on the shoulder buttons?

How?

It's like you say in your second paragraph where I will push the stick all the way and the character will move slow intermittently. I haven't noticed this in any other games though, so that's why I didn't think it could be something about the gamepad.

I will try things out in other games, see if it happens in those also.

Fuck, I don't want to get a new DS4, shit's expensive!

DS4 sticks and triggers are easily worn down from just playing regularly. If you buy a new DS4 right now, you'll be amazed how much tighter and firmer the triggers are when you press them. The don't just creak but they become quite loose.

I literally stopped playing 76 for a good month because my control did this where hitting up all the way caused me to sneak instead of run. 76 feels this the worst because it causes his sprint to stop sporadically. I had to just buy a new controller.

Moonkid

I wish I could do that but it's too uncomfortable for me haha, my middle fingers on the triggers don't do that great. Having 4 fingers, is this easy mode? 😂

komaruR

it just a personal preference. if its fine for you then you shouldnt need to change. i've always blink with L1 too.

Jellie

I wish I could do that but it's too uncomfortable for me haha, my middle fingers on the triggers don't do that great. Having 4 fingers, is this easy mode? 😂
Well I just died loads cos I couldn't recall fast enough due to no fingers on r1.
it just a personal preference. if its fine for you then you shouldnt need to change. i've always blink with L1 too.
Probably best to experiment
Triggers with middle fingers sounds awful. But whatever works I guess.

If that's how you hold it then disregard all my previous advice. Lol
It feels better with index but now I keep messing up ult and recall. Probably gonna take a bit of getting used to.

Fugu

Apparently they changed it as people were higher than they should be. It's trying to put you where they think you really should be I think. Dunno how they can tell if you are too high though.
From what I can tell everyone around my rank (Diamond) is experiencing the same effect. I played with a player at gold and he got 20 points for a win whereas everyone else on the team got 2.

I think Blizzard is just reacting in a somewhat ham-fisted way to the fact that right now everyone drifts upwards to Platinum pretty easily.

Azoor

I don't mean the rubber. Those never broke for me. Even my launch DS4 rubber never cracked. I mean the moving mechanisms inside the controller.

Ah.

What you were talking about never happened to me though, that most likely because I alternate between controllers a lot.

antitrop

I literally stopped playing 76 for a good month because my control did this where hitting up all the way caused me to sneak instead of run. 76 feels this the worst because it causes his sprint to stop sporadically. I had to just buy a new controller.
Yes, one of my two DS4s has this exact same problem.

The other one is fucked in different ways. Like I said, that controller's build quality is garbage.

ohkay

So since I haven't experienced competitive on PC yet, I was wondering how toxic is it compared to console? Back on ps4 it wasn't that bad because most people didn't have mics, and most that did wanted to cooperate to win, but does having the text chat make things worse?

So since I haven't experienced competitive on PC yet, I was wondering how toxic is it compared to console? Back on ps4 it wasn't that bad because most people didn't have mics, and most that did wanted to cooperate to win, but does having the text chat make things worse?

It's worse since you have text. However, you can just disable it.

But despite all that he's still a beast. (And I totally disagree that stun + FTH is useless, I always kill squishies)
I rarely use FTH now unless I'm certain that I can land all the shots (usually dumping it in a tank or a Reinhardt shield). I just flash/headshot people instead. It's a little riskier, but it feels more reliant on my skill than RNGeezus.

I still find it unreliable as hell against Genji and Tracer, I must be doing something wrong?
It is unreliable. Unless you're point blank and they didn't move at all as they were being flashed (rare with these two), I would go for the headshot kill instead. Genji's a little trickier because depending on his health when you flashed, you may end up having to land a body shot/punch after (140 for the headshot and 25 for the flash leaves a sliver of 25HP, I think?), and he has a chance of getting away if his kit isn't on cooldown.

I save FTH for 250+ HP or FTH/roll/FTH dumps into tanks, which are still effective. Just not face-melting the way they used to be.

I still find it unreliable as hell against Genji and Tracer, I must be doing something wrong?
Tracer I go for the headshot. Sometimes I miss so good point. Genji usually gets the 'I was just jumping/dashing etc. so you won't line up a shot before the stun runs out' advantage, but if I hit him clean it's pretty successful.

FTH on Reaper, Soldier, Hanzo etc. kills them almost every time.

Getting PotG while fighting against players with crazy-high levels always feels good. Especially when it's with that beast of beasts, Winston.

Now... silver-borders are level 400+ right? Because one dude in that game had it--the first one I've ever seen. He was, as one might expect, very good at who he was using--Genji.

exYle

Have fun man, Genji is so much easier to play with paddles. Also great with Ana, Mercy, and gremlin D.Va.

hydruxo

Getting PotG while fighting against players with crazy-high levels always feels good. Especially when it's with that beast of beasts, Winston.

Now... silver-borders are level 400+ right? Because one dude in that game had it--the first one I've ever seen. He was, as one might expect, very good at who he was using--Genji.

601-1200 is silver

Tracer I go for the headshot. Sometimes I miss so good point. Genji usually gets the 'I was just jumping/dashing etc. so you won't line up a shot before the stun runs out' advantage, but if I hit him clean it's pretty successful.

FTH on Reaper, Soldier, Hanzo etc. kills them almost every time.
With Soldier/Hanzo/other 200HP heroes I prefer headshotting and then getting the final blow after that if needed, especially because they're low-mobility.

Reaper is the edge(lord) case because of his 250HP and his vape. Also Mei. I'll FTH them and hope RNG is with me.

During the period where they'd nerfed FTH damage but not buffed his speed, a smart Reaper could not be stun-killed in one. It was shitty.

McCree is perfectly balanced right now, any buff would make him OP.
I can kinda see the complaints about his ult now that it can't be cancelled, but it still lasts a long time if you want to zone with it. And I think people are trying too hard to get fancy quadkills with it instead of using it to take what you can get and press the advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom