• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

I decided to invest in a new mouse and did choose the G900 from Logitech simply because it's wireless but still as good as a wired one. Now I just need to know which kind of mouse pad I should use alongside. I play at a pretty low sensitivity (currently 7 ingame and 800dpi) and with the Razer Sphex I use it feels "wrong". Should I go for a Steelseries QcK+ or the Logitech G640?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if anyone is checking this out but there's a Japanese tournament going on right now:

https://www.twitch.tv/japanesports

McCree's and Reaper's voices in Japanese are quite interesting.

Edit: unfortunately they are playing according to the older rules, which allows doubles of one character in a team comp. Good news is that it's not the same old double Lucio double Winston. Also some are playing with zero healers, which is an odd playstyle but it seems to work out for them.

Edit 2: I swear Tracer and Pharah in japanese sound like Mai from KoF and Chun Li from SF

Aranath

Excuse the silly question, but is there anyway to easily hook up with NeoGAF folks in the game instead of dealing with Joe Q. Public? Can't take the toxic jerks and quitters anymore, it's aggravating.

He has prosthetic legs

Prosthetic tiny chicken legs.

I decided to invest in a new mouse and did choose the G900 from Logitech simply because it's wireless but still as good as a wired one. Now I just need to know which kind of mouse pad I should use alongside. I play at a pretty low sensitivity (currently 7 ingame and 800dpi) and with the Razer Sphex I use it feels "wrong". Should I go for a Steelseries QcK+ or the Logitech G640?

I use a G700 and I have that Steelseries mat. I like it. It's thin, doesn't drag at all, but still has enough resistance to stop on a dime.

I bought that mat while I was playing Counter Strike a lot and it definitely improved my aim. Whether or not it was in my head or actuality doesn't really matter; I got results.

Nazo

I feel kinda bad, A friend of mine picked up the game a few weeks ago and every time we talk about it its like were playing two entirely different games. He plays at a really REALLY low MMR so I constantly hear stories from him about all the Bastions he encounters in quick play and all kinds of other atrocities. (As a kind of frame of reference I checked his overbuff stats and his skill rank is at like 30% where mine is at 90%.) He's gotten super frustrated with the game because he's usually the only one on his team who try's to counter the Bastions. He desperately whats to get out of his MMR and get closer into mine but the skill gap between us is honestly too huge. I tell him just to keep practicing but I know its not what he wants to hear. I honestly don't know how to help him and I wish I did. I even helped him with his competitive placement matches and it only got him into the high forties even though we won most of the matches we played. Any advice you'ed think to give GAF? I'm out of ideas.

Xzan

Lulz :)

7B4lGZF.png

Pity I haven't played Mercy in at least two weeks. Zenyatta and Lucio have usually been more useful, and Ana is more fun to play.

ekim

Prosthetic tiny chicken legs.

I use a G700 and I have that Steelseries mat. I like it. It's thin, doesn't drag at all, but still has enough resistance to stop on a dime.

I bought that mat while I was playing Counter Strike a lot and it definitely improved my aim. Whether or not it was in my head or actuality doesn't really matter; I got results.

Thanks! So no issues whatsoever.

I feel kinda bad, A friend of mine picked up the game a few weeks ago and every time we talk about it its like were playing two entirely different games. He plays at a really REALLY low MMR so I constantly hear stories from him about all the Bastions he encounters in quick play and all kinds of other atrocities. (As a kind of frame of reference I checked his overbuff stats and his skill rank is at like 30% where mine is at 90%.) He's gotten super frustrated with the game because he's usually the only one on his team who try's to counter the Bastions. He desperately whats to get out of his MMR and get closer into mine but the skill gap between us is honestly too huge. I tell him just to keep practicing but I know its not what he wants to hear. I honestly don't know how to help him and I wish I did. I even helped him with his competitive placement matches and it only got him into the high forties even though we won most of the matches we played. Any advice you'ed think to give GAF? I'm out of ideas.

Keep practicing, watch tutorials on YouTube, and wait for the next season. Your MMR isn't permanent which is nice if that sort of drop happens.

R0ckman

Well now the system seems to acually look at how you play compared to your teammates in PTR, so if you are super out performing in terrible teams you will only lose like 15-20 points but every win when you are doing good you will gain 50 or so points. That might encourage him to do his best. Season 2 sounds promising, make no mistake I'm not solo queuing my placements but I'm willing to solo a couple of matches outside of that.

I get good matches on weekends at night after 9 in QP so I really doubt MMR is a prority in matchmaking, they probably just dump you quickly into a match.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This Japanese OW tourney is really strange.

KOTH. No tanks. No supports.

wtf? And they allow hero stacking over there.

The games are having a different flow because of this. I kind of like it. They also play cart and played hanamura not long ago.

I think Soldier76's voice actor is Jotaro from JoJo's BA. I may be wrong.

Redmoon

By any chance does someone happen to know what the performance is like in this game with 2 GTX 680s at 1440p? Specifically the 4gb versions if possible.

Thinking of selling my three Titan X Maxwells to get the Pascal TXs and I'd have to probably roll with these 680s for a bit till I get the cards.

I'm at work and can't test performance right now :(

LiK

Not sure if anyone ever watched Akiman's OW streams. He only plays Soldier and it's a bit painful watching him play cuz he dies so much, lol. Altho I do enjoy hearing the Japanese voices.

JoeNut

Sorry guys but what are PTR, MMR etc. standing for?

I have no clue about Seasons or what that is either? i just get the option for single play or the brawl things

ekim

By any chance does someone happen to know what the performance is like in this game with 2 GTX 680s at 1440p? Specifically the 4gb versions if possible.

Thinking of selling my three Titan X Maxwells to get the Pascal TXs and I'd have to probably roll with these 680s for a bit till I get the cards.

I'm at work and can't test performance right now :(

Are you aiming for 144Hz/FPS?

Rize_21

Not sure if anyone ever watched Akiman's OW streams. He only plays Soldier and it's a bit painful watching him play cuz he dies so much, lol. Altho I do enjoy hearing the Japanese voices.
The Street Fighter's designer?got any link to share please?

can't quote but PTR: Public Test Region( PC only), you're trying new patches/hero before release on official servers, MMR: Match Making Rank,higher you score less Bastions you see.

e: v Thanks!

ekim

I have no clue about Seasons or what that is either? i just get the option for single play or the brawl things

PTR = Public Test Realm = A testing server where patches get published before they are going on the live servers. You can choose the PTR in battle.net when changing regions, it will download the game again and you get a separate profile there

MMR = matchmaking rating / I always described the basic level you have in OW as your MMR.

Your level is the MMR used for Quickplay. So you can see it.

Public Test Realm - It's where Blizzard tests our their balance changes and sometimes new content. Only available for PC players.

MatchMaking Rating - Basically, your skill as comprised by some crazy formula evaluating everything you do in game. This is how the game decides who should be your teammates/opponents.

Seasons are when the Competitive mode of Overwatch becomes available. It's a gamemode with a few different rules than your normal Quickplay. We finished a season about 2 weeks ago, and the next season starts up in a few days. Seasons last about 3 months.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Public Test Realm - It's where Blizzard tests our their balance changes and sometimes new content. Only available for PC players.

MatchMaking Rating - Basically, your skill as comprised by some crazy formula evaluating everything you do in game. This is how the game decides who should be your teammates/opponents.

Seasons are when the Competitive mode of Overwatch becomes available. It's a gamemode with a few different rules than your normal Quickplay. We finished a season about 2 weeks ago, and the next season starts up in a few days. Seasons last about 3 months.

Public Test Region*

PTR is the Public Test Region, a limited set of servers that Blizzard roll out patches for testing on. It's only available on PC, and only if you download a separate client.

MMR is Matchmaking Ranking, a hidden rating that tries to put you in games close to your skill level.

The game's Competitive (or "comp") mode takes place over seasons. The first season ended a few weeks ago; Season 2 starts next Tuesday. Because we're between seasons, you don't get the option to play Competitive in the menus right now.

Your level is the MMR used for Quickplay. So you can see it.
Your level is not your MMR for QP. Level has zero effect on matchmaking and isn't really indicative of anything except how much you've played the game. MMR for QP is hidden.

PTR: Public Test Region. Changes roll out here first, so they can be tested before going live on one of the regular servers. Progress/rank/unlocks made here doesn't carry over.

MMR: Match-Making Rank. The hidden score that determines how you're matched up with other players. Ideally, it's identical to your Competitive rank, but that's not always the case.

ekim

Yes. I'm also fine with lowering render resolution to help fps, used to run 75% until recently.

I would aim for 165hz but the 680 doesn't support that rate :(.

You should definitely be able to run it at 144 FPS locked with dual 680s@1440p on medium/high preset. I don't think you have to lower the resolution even. Just looked up some benchmarks and people were able to run it at 200+ FPS on dual 780s@1440p with Epic preset.

JoeNut

Thanks for all the quick answers guys, this community page is really active. I'm on PS4 so i guess PTR doesn't apply for me.

Can anyone play in the seasons mode? or do you need to be a certain level? i'm level 8 or 9 i think.

Thanks for all the quick answers guys, this community page is really active. I'm on PS4 so i guess PTR doesn't apply for me.

Can anyone play in the seasons mode? or do you need to be a certain level? i'm level 8 or 9 i think.
You have to hit level 25, I think. It doesn't take long.

ekim

You need to be lvl 25 but the new season didn't start. Season 2 starts next Tuesday.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm the only tank, everyone else is either assault or hanzo, and the enemy team has a mercy who's real good at giving rezzes.

And we won.

QP life.

ekim

Looks like i need to get some play time racked up then, am i right in saying i'll get more exp by trying out lots of different heroes, as you get some sort of bonus for breaking your previous records with each one?

Not necessarily. Just play with a friend to gain 20% extra exp. :)

Redmoon

You should definitely be able to run it at 144 FPS locked with dual 680s@1440p on medium/high preset. I don't think you have to lower the resolution even. Just looked up some benchmarks and people were able to run it at 200+ FPS on dual 780s@1440p with Epic preset.

Alright thanks ^^

After I play around with BF1 tonight I'll swap cards and try those presets. I'll probably do a lower render res Reguardless of preset. The game can have sporadic gpu load spikes with all the effects going on.

Nazo

Keep practicing, watch tutorials on YouTube, and wait for the next season. Your MMR isn't permanent which is nice if that sort of drop happens.

He actually does a lot of that already, hes actually a pretty smart player. He's familiar with all the match ups and counters and a lot of the deeper mechanics of the game. Honestly, his problem is his execution. I'll just have to drill it into his head that he needs to practice.

Well now the system seems to actually look at how you play compared to your teammates in PTR, so if you are super out performing in terrible teams you will only lose like 15-20 points but every win when you are doing good you will gain 50 or so points. That might encourage him to do his best.

That sounds great! I'll definitely relay that to him. He much prefers ranked rules or QP. So hopefully that'll revitalize his enthusiasm for the game.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback btw :)

PatjuhR

Man I miss competitive.

QP gets me so frustrated if my teammates don't help on the objective.

I'm trying to tell myself, it's QP, it doesn't matter if you win or lose. Just try to get better with some heroes in preparation for the new competitive. But it won't work and I can't play more than 2/3 QP games before I'm back to Rocket League.

Raxanas

Neo Member
When i am supposed to know that i can be decent at competitive?QP is hell for me.I thought of hitting at least level 100 and then try to play competitive but my nerves wont survive QP till i am done i guess...
I am decent dps player and willing to flex
Here are my stats on QP
Stats on overbuff

ekim

When i am supposed to know that i can be decent at competitive?QP is hell for me.I thought of hitting at least level 100 and then try to play competitive but my nerves wont survive QP till i am done i guess...
I am decent dps player and willing to flex
Here are my stats on QP
Stats on overbuff

You are as good as your team is. Don't concentrate on stats too much. Grab some friends and rock comp mode as soon as the season starts :)

Pity I haven't played Mercy in at least two weeks. Zenyatta and Lucio have usually been more useful, and Ana is more fun to play.

I can't play Mercy on QP or without a full group. It turns me into a bitter old man who yells at everyone.

"Don't charge in Reinhardt, I can't follow - oh you're dead."
"Genji wait! I need LOS to heal you don't climb that - oh now you're dead."
"Reaper no! Why are you running away from the enemy Roadhog and leaving me - oh, now I'm dead."

Siiiiiigh.

Man my friend group has really dropped off this in the past few days :/

It's not even cus of comp, cus we don't touch that, but most of them are waiting for the new emotes and map before going back in. Pls hurry Blizzard ;-;

Beckx

had a good night on my quest to learn to play a better Rein. blocked a ton of damage (normal), but also hit a lot more earthshatters and got a shitload of hammer kills, both areas i'm weak at. snuck behind the enemy to shatter them and take out torb and mercy, which felt good.

Man my friend group has really dropped off this in the past few days :/

It's not even cus of comp, cus we don't touch that, but most of them are waiting for the new emotes and map before going back in. Pls hurry Blizzard ;-;

I'll be your friend
if you promise not to do weird shit with the character models.

He actually does a lot of that already, hes actually a pretty smart player. He's familiar with all the match ups and counters and a lot of the deeper mechanics of the game. Honestly, his problem is his execution. I'll just have to drill it into his head that he needs to practice.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback btw :)

NP, I'm in a similar spot. I peaked at rank 52 Season 1, but ended up down in the 45s due to a lot of circumstances I couldn't control (trolls, leavers, etc.)

But my execution is only average at best. My brother hit 70 and he's just mechanically better than me at most games.

I have tons of game sense but I'm working on my skills and learning the whole roster so I'm not stuck "maining" a character in case of counterpicks.

In my games I see people with horrible execution AND game sense, but most of the time game sense is the main issue.

I'll be your friend
if you promise not to do weird shit with the character models.

Are you Batman? I think I have you on my list?

Also, Garrett, feel free to add me for some QP. It's my username with an underscore between the two words.

I'll be heading home early from work today, thanks to Tropical Storm / soon-to-be Hurricane this girl:

Plz no power loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom