• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude. I'm sooooo frustrated. Does gaf have a good PC community to play with for competitive? I went 0 - 10 solo queuing right now. Was at 2635 down to 2426. I keep pulling the weight and not getting good teammates. It's crazy.

Anyway, please help save my sanity

Add Shinobi#1612 if you want to party up.
I love playing Winston, Dva , Lucio , Reaper and Rein

LiK

Think I'll stick to D.Va more for Comp. I do real well with her and people have a hard time dealing with the DM.

Brooke the losing streak. Jeeeeezzzzzz I'm still not happy. Really REALLY feeling cold and alone lol

My loser IRL friends reached 3000 and no longer want to play. F me right?

LuffyZoro

I got a team just now in solo queue that absolutely wrecked two games in a row, and then proceeded to draw/win another two. Feels good.

Decay only starts once you haven't played for 7 days straight. If you play in just one game then it will stop it for another 7 days.

Says 23 hours. 7 days drops you out of the top 500 automatically. Unless I'm missing something.

But I can just make a point to play one every 24 hours I guess.

Edit: my mistake. That's what happens after 7 days.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had this Reinhardt on my team that would run to the first point on Hollywood and hold his shield up at Symettra's turrets that were against the wall while Hanzo and Zarya shot him in the back.

like how the fuck am I supposed to even get a draw blizzard

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is the matchmaking bugged?

I just fought with all randoms against a full group...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had a guy who ran Widowmaker and then Symettra on Nepal meanwhile the enemy Genji killed me and the other healer everytime.

me in solo q r n:

na8Aw8R.jpg

LiK

I'm glad you found another character you like.

She was always one of my main alts but her buff really made her shine. I didn't play her much after the buff since I was only playing S1 Comp with Junky at the time. :D

At least I can play a less hated hero in our groups unless we're struggling then I need to pull out my Junk.

After a Saturday of nothing but victories, Lady Luck decided to balance things out and filled my Sunday with practically nothing but losses. I do admit that I stopped caring after a few games, but you can only get so invested when someone on your team insisted on being a machinegunning Widowmaker. "It worked in the past", so it came highly recommended.

I'm really missing how Lucio played too, to the point where I don't even feel like picking him any more. He was my most played hero up until now, and I just don't feel like I'm contributing as much any more. I used to rely a lot on the little UI element telling me how much I was healing, and now that it's been removed, my situational awareness got wrecked.

So I think I'm going to learn Tracer and Zarya. What- besides KOTH for Tracer- are good maps for them? Or what type of map, maybe (tight corridors, open spaces, etc)? I don't want to make things painful for my team while I learn the ropes.

PS- 1-4 so far in Placement Matches. I can't tell what's going wrong, so I'm pretty sure the problem is me and my poor D.Va aren't pulling our weight. Oh well, it'll take the pressure off to play with salty scrubs (of which I would then be one). And I do have the sweet D.Va Gremlin emote for pre-game and skirmishes.

I can still wrek shop with Genji now and again in comp which is alright. Just a little harder

Took me a while to get used to Hanzo again.
I love him.
Just 1 shotting tracers is 👌😏👌

Zarya feels insane when I play her. But honestly I haven't run into many Zaryas that have just killed our team yet. Maybe because I'm usually Tracer and Traver handles her very well, or maybe it's luck.

Hope they don't nerf her, there should be a better solution.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think they should nerf her either but it's not just consoles really. Right now she's getting pretty close to an S-tier pick in tournament. Very high A-tier currently.

Jellie

Is top 500 available as soon as you win 50 or is it midseason as all it takes it to win 50 the fastest while having a decent rank if the former.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can still wrek shop with Genji now and again in comp which is alright. Just a little harder

Told you, can he still carry the whole team? no but that was never intended to be the case.

He's still a killing machine in the right hands.

Yesterday i was watching Pokelawls, he's an amazing Genji, he got so salty when the rest of his team sucked ass and he couldn't carry their asses anymore.

"Old Genji could have carried this, i can't carry this anymore".

Just shows how OP Genji really was.

LiK

Genji is still good. Just not as hard to kill now.

Is top 500 available as soon as you win 50 or is it midseason as all it takes it to win 50 the fastest while having a decent rank if the former.

i think it's a soon as you win 50 and your SR is high enough.

I don't think they should nerf her either but it's not just consoles really. Right now she's getting pretty close to an S-tier pick in tournament. Very high A-tier currently.
It's gonna be hard to come up with a solution that doesn't destroy the character. If they just reduce her damage then she'll be complete shit without at least 40 or so charge. Cool downs are already long. What can be done? Maybe just something like change 100 shield into normal health? Idk.

She's not nearly as annoying as Genji. People don't really get mad at Zarya even though they acknowledge that she's really good. Maybe they'll leave her be.

LiK

Tracer is fine. One of the few heroes i think that was perfect out the gate. Easily countered if you can predict her movements/recall and can destroy teams if you know how to play her.

So I think I'm going to learn Tracer and Zarya. What- besides KOTH for Tracer- are good maps for them? Or what type of map, maybe (tight corridors, open spaces, etc)? I don't want to make things painful for my team while I learn the ropes.
Tracer shines in maps where there is plenty of room behind the enemy. You basically want to get behind them, unload a clip, and bail. If you can get the kill, that's nice, but it's totally fine if you don't. You're mainly a mosquito that diminishes the focus of the other team. On maps where the enemy can have their backs against the wall, like final phases of Payload or capture maps, Tracer isn't an ideal pick. I usually switch away from Tracer for the second phase of assaulting Anubis for instance.

Most of these rules still apply for Defence too. Nothing is more annoying in any second phase than a Tracer staggering the respawning reinforcements. There's usually a lengthy walk between the respawners and their destination, so any damage you do during their trek will make them do detours to get health packs, and it makes it harder for them to re-group.

I've been on a Zarya binge, and think she's pretty well suited for every type of map. She is more dependent on team composition. She needs two buddies for peak performance. The first pal you need is someone who is willing to go ahead of you, but isn't going to bail for flanks. A Roadhog or Soldier are my best friends, though any general aggressive player will do. You'll build charge fast and reliably with one of those. The second, and perhaps more important one, is a dedicated healer. Due to the nature of your bubbles, you want people to notice and fire at you. Ideally you want to bubble up when you're already taking damage, to ensure you can get the most charge out of it. This sadly enough means you will take damage in your standard loop, so a healer that can keep you topped off is going to be critical to keep that charge.

A final tip is to keep an eye on the team screen. You can see there whose ult is ready, and your ult combines well with others, so it's best to use it when other people are ready to do damage too. Speaking of which, once you popped your ult, exclusively switch to alt fire until only one person is left. Your primary fire may do more damage, but since enemies are concentrated, you'll want that splash damage.

Antiwhippy

It's gonna be hard to come up with a solution that doesn't destroy the character. If they just reduce her damage then she'll be complete shit without at least 40 or so charge. Cool downs are already long. What can be done? Maybe just something like change 100 shield into normal health? Idk.

She's not nearly as annoying as Genji. People don't really get mad at Zarya even though they acknowledge that she's really good. Maybe they'll leave her be.

Bring the other tanks up really. Or just be fine with her as staple tank.

I kinda wish they would make it so KotH isn't 100% zarya + winston.

Tracer is fine. One of the few heroes i think that was perfect out the gate. Easily countered if you can predict her movements/recall and can destroy teams if you know how to play her.
Every day I pray that Blizzard feels the same way. Her being the face of the game gives me hope that they want to keep her an effective character.

Tracer shines in maps where there is plenty of room behind the enemy. You basically want to get behind them, unload a clip, and bail. If you can get the kill, that's nice, but it's totally fine if you don't. You're mainly a mosquito that diminishes the focus of the other team. On maps where the enemy can have their backs against the wall, like final phases of Payload or capture maps, Tracer isn't an ideal pick. I usually switch away from Tracer for the second phase of assaulting Anubis for instance.

Most of these rules still apply for Defence too. Nothing is more annoying in any second phase than a Tracer staggering the respawning reinforcements. There's usually a lengthy walk between the respawners and their destination, so any damage you do during their trek will make them do detours to get health packs, and it makes it harder for them to re-group.

I've been on a Zarya binge, and think she's pretty well suited for every type of map. She is more dependent on team composition. She needs two buddies for peak performance. The first pal you need is someone who is willing to go ahead of you, but isn't going to bail for flanks. A Roadhog or Soldier are my best friends, though any general aggressive player will do. You'll build charge fast and reliably with one of those. The second, and perhaps more important one, is a dedicated healer. Due to the nature of your bubbles, you want people to notice and fire at you. Ideally you want to bubble up when you're already taking damage, to ensure you can get the most charge out of it. This sadly enough means you will take damage in your standard loop, so a healer that can keep you topped off is going to be critical to keep that charge.

A final tip is to keep an eye on the team screen. You can see there whose ult is ready, and your ult combines well with others, so it's best to use it when other people are ready to do damage too. Speaking of which, once you popped your ult, exclusively switch to alt fire until only one person is left. Your primary fire may do more damage, but since enemies are concentrated, you'll want that splash damage.

Thank you so so much. This helps a lot. I've got to branch out from my D.Va, Lucio, Rein (and Hog and Mercy in certain situations) rut, and these seem to be the most disruptive/ fun characters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bring the other tanks up really. Or just be fine with her as staple tank.

I kinda wish they would make it so KotH isn't 100% zarya + winston.

I feel like tanks are the most balanced class in the game personally. Zarya is amazing but I really don't know what they could tweak that wouldn't really hurt her.

People act like they broke Genji and Lucio's legs

It's weird that all they did was change Lucio's speedboost yet I think he feels like shit to play now. When I use him in koth it feels like his healing is worse and I don't know why, lol.

Antiwhippy

I feel like tanks are the most balanced class in the game personally.

I think so too, doesn't mean that more can't be done. Right now it's zarya as a guaranteed pick, rein or winston depending on team makeup/map, and then roadhog and DVA as pretty situational picks. Would prefer all the tanks to be brought to the rein/winston level but that will be a very tricky thing to do.

Zarya is good in all maps. Remember when no one understood how she played? Those were the days.

Okay, but for someone just starting out, what's the best kind of map for her to learn on? What kind of maps is she OP on, so I can learn the ins and outs without making my team hate me?

LiK

i honestly think Lucio is fine but for some reason people really don't like picking him anymore. Zen gets picked first before him now lol

Okay, but for someone just starting out, what's the best kind of map for her to learn on? What kind of maps is she OP on, so I can learn the ins and outs without making my team hate me?

Payload on Attack. Try her there. Very useful and you'll get used to learning to bubble up your guys back and forth. I'm not the best Zarya player but I've played her there before and did well so it's a good training map.

i honestly think Lucio is fine but for some reason people really don't like picking him anymore. Zen gets picked first before him now lol

Payload on Attack. Try her there. Very useful and you'll get used to learning to bubble up your guys back and forth. I'm not the best Zarya player but I've played her there before and did well so it's a good training map.

Excellent, thank you. So I'm dodging behind the payload and recharging shield? Sounds like a viable strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom