• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comp feels a lot better this season, much more balanced.

On the other hand, for the first time in like 70 hours, I had an aggro group of 4 on my team turn on me when we started losing. Apparently silver kills as a 76 is 'cancer'. I know it's comp, but damn, have some fun out there, people!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, finally had a chance to sit down and watch some of the gosugamers weekly stuff fully. Some thoughts:

- A lot more diversity, though that might just be teams trying things out. Interesting thing to note is that LW Red, the korean team that won the NA weekly, use really standard pre-patch comps throughout and still looked really strong.

- Genji still used a lot, but does not outright turn games anymore.

- Holy crap Pine is insane on mccree. Pine as in "This is why you really don't want widow to return to be as strong as she was"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcIEY9-mPn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KnqOj09v8

- Awesomeguy is probably the best winston I've seen since internethulk.

- Huh, zarya isn't actually picked as often as I thought I've seen, though it's probably my own watching bias. The videos I've watched are full of zaryas but that might just be my luck of the draw. I still want DM to eat the beam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...ournament_picks_from_gosugamers_18_new_patch/

Tovarisc

Matchmaker is some real bullshit. Was 50 away from Plat and now it's just straight losses.

I wouldn't be surprised if system was weighted to keep people within their tiers by putting some insane teams against people who are about to move into next tier. SC2 at least was like that back in the day, it would throw you into "test games" where it picked opponents from about midway of tier you were about to enter.

GOD I just had the BEST timing for a sleep dart as Ana ever

We were attacking on Anubis and we were fighting for Point B and our Reaper killed 5 of them except for Mercy, and as she was running out behind a wall to rez the entire team, I got her right before she could and her entire team had to respawn. Bought us SO much time.

I love Ana so much

Perfect sleep darts are a wonderful thing.
My personal favourite being me and Torb hanging back defending a payload when suddenly unsheathing from the skies behind us "RYUJIN NO KE- *Dart to the face*
Even got a thanks from the Torb.

Still getting one on an about to res Mercy is probably the pinnacle of perfect dart timing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The best one was when they won usign a bastion.

I found it hilarious that they were running him like how they would run siege tank on SC2.

I have no idea what that actually means but the idea of koreans using SC2 strategies in OW is hilarious to me.

Auctopus

Matchmaker is some real bullshit. Was 50 away from Plat and now it's just straight losses.

The exact problem I'm having. It's like I'm only getting teammates who either don't care about the objectives or just aren't ready for competitive.

I'm a fairly competent player who plays the objective very well. I'm pretty much the MvP if I play as Zen or Zarya.

But this season after I became ranked, I lost 8 games in a row before I just turned off my console. Unprecedented for me. I couldn't take it anymore, I'm not a sore loser but I'm not gonna waste my time playing that mode when I'm match-made with such brain dead players. You can have fun when you lose in this game but this just feels futile.

ViviOggi

Why y'all keep playing after 5+ losses in a row? I know it's easy to get lost in that spiral of "next game HAS to be a win" but that's not only gambler's fallacy thinking, on top of that your own performance starts to suffer as you're getting more and more tilted, so actually decreasing your chances of winning. The best way to break a bad streak is checking out and coming back later.

Why y'all keep playing after 5+ losses in a row? I know it's easy to get lost in that spiral of "next game HAS to be a win" but that's not only gambler's fallacy thinking, on top of that your own performance starts to suffer as you're getting more and more tilted, so actually decreasing your chances of winning. The best way to break a bad streak is checking out and coming back later.

Unfortunately for some of us logic gets lost within the salt, it's happened to me a few times in this game in particular.
I completely agree with what you're saying though.

Gotta remember to put a little note by my TV that says "quit gettin mad at kideo games!"

How is Ana on console with aim assist now?
Did she not have aim assist before?

In any case, she's fine. Decent in the right hands but still plenty of others using the other supports. Personally, I like using her like Halo's Battle Rifle rather than a sniper.

I quit after two straight defeats or any bad beat. Religiously. Even if it's just an hour break to do something else.

I don't quit on winning streaks, though!

Azoor

Widowmaker buff when

They really need to buff her or retool her abilities to make her a viable option again. I remember back in the early days of Overwach (I don't mean the beta) when winning or losing depended on having a good Widow.

Now, I don't mean they should buff her that much, just don't make as useless as she is now.

Vire

They really need to buff her or retool her abilities to make her a viable option again. I remember back in the early days of Overwach (I don't mean the beta) when winning or losing depended on having a good Widow.

Now, I don't mean they should buff her that much, just don't make as useless as she is now.
I think the fact that her Ult and poison mine are useless practically is what does her in.

Her Ult is essentially a regular ability that Hanzo has... While Hanzo can wipe the whole team with his,

And the poison mine thing is crap.

I assume that that's just a very good player, but holy shit, it looks like an aimbot.

Yeah, I agree that the way she was before sounds like it was a real issue, but she's at the bottom end now. Especially with Hanzo being the way he is now.

R0ckman

So I was reading on battle.net and there seem to be a lot of apologists about the system. Over and over they say that the ranking system is working correctly yet its not, people are losing more points than they are gaining even if they win most of their matches which makes no sense and in my end I got placed in silver when I shouldn't have been and have shot straight out of it in about 3-4 hours of play. That means according to them that the system recognizes I shouldn't be there at all, so why did my placements put me there in the first place?

Azoor

So I was reading on battle.net and there seem to be a lot of apologists about the system. Over and over they say that the ranking system is working correctly yet its not, people are losing more points than they are gaining even if they win most of their matches which makes no sense and in my end I got placed in silver when I shouldn't have been and have shot straight out of it in about 3-4 hours of play. That means according to them that the system recognizes I shouldn't be there at all, so why did my placements put me there in the first place?

This makes me wonder if Blizzard's other games suffer from the same issue.

Hmm, if I were to nerf Zarya. I think I'd just target her Health. 300 or 350?
No, she needs 400 health. Zarya has to take damage because she can't just row out her shield before a fight because everyone will see it right away, she has to throw it out in the middle of a fight, which means she has to take some damage before she puts it up. If she gets less health, she might start to not be a tank.

Zarya is perfectly fine. You just have to focus on her and have a few people fire on her and she won't be a problem.

ekim

I guess because 10 matches isn't a good sample size. Do we know how placement match matchmaking is done? Does it take your QP or Season1 performance into account?

This makes me wonder if Blizzard's other games suffer from the same issue.

With SC2, you know which tier you're in but you have no clue about any other ranking info.

Literally, you can be in Gold, and thats all you know. There's no number or info about when you'll rank up or rank down. But at least in SC2 you have different rankings groups.

So there's 1v1 ranks, 2v2 ranks, 3v3 ranks, 4v4 ranks in SC2. A person can be Gold in 1v1, but Diamond in 4v4

But overall it works in SC2

Maybe Overwatch needs a Solo Queue rank Duo, Trio, etc.

Greddleok

I don't understand the complaint. It seems to be working as intended for you at least.

Tovarisc

I guess because 10 matches isn't a good sample size. Do we know how placement match matchmaking is done? Does it take your QP or Season1 performance into account?

They say it's fresh start each season without previous season(s) or QP affecting placement. So I guess it takes into count W/L ratio from placements plus personal performance during placements (DPS role still gives best "personal performance").

Disker

Damn lol. went from 2975 to 2775.

Always get put up against a team of almost full diamonds and one gold while i have low level plats (yes level doesn't mean much but you can definitely tell they have less experience)

Also my team is almost never prestiged while the enemy team has levels 300+.

It's a shame, was close to diamond but i am not even gonna bother anymore.

Also whats with the point system, i need to win like 2.5 matches to gain on one loss :(

Redmoon

Booted up the game to buy the two new emotes for the heroes I regularly play, and an ana/symm legendary skin.

Went from 11k credits to 5k. Feels good to have something to spend em on.

Now we just need an option for "Random emote" like we have with highlight intro.

So, finally had a chance to sit down and watch some of the gosugamers weekly stuff fully. Some thoughts:

- A lot more diversity, though that might just be teams trying things out. Interesting thing to note is that LW Red, the korean team that won the NA weekly, use really standard pre-patch comps throughout and still looked really strong.

- Genji still used a lot, but does not outright turn games anymore.

- Holy crap Pine is insane on mccree. Pine as in "This is why you really don't want widow to return to be as strong as she was"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcIEY9-mPn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KnqOj09v8

- Awesomeguy is probably the best winston I've seen since internethulk.

- Huh, zarya isn't actually picked as often as I thought I've seen, though it's probably my own watching bias. The videos I've watched are full of zaryas but that might just be my luck of the draw. I still want DM to eat the beam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...ournament_picks_from_gosugamers_18_new_patch/

Why is Pharah and Junkrat so low on the totem? Junkrat especially.

ViviOggi

.eJwFwdENhCAMANBdGIBCDwRd5tIgQRMQQuuHMbf7vfeqe1a1qUNk8Aawn5z63DVLn1SyLr2XmmmcrFNvQCKUjpYvYbDO-ui8WWMwxjq3OEDET7CIHiNG48NigJ_Wskz6jkpPnqzHVdTvD1STJow.vndLSnzRvDPWk8HzZwIxN6fxdVo.png

Every Sym player ever

Who is Widowmaker weak against? I think against Bastion?

DVA and Winston beat her clean for the most part if they go after her. Genji does super well too since he can move in at weird angles and burst her.

The scope nerf made Pharah pretty strong against her too depending on the map. Hanzo is pretty decent now too, especially since the wolf skin makes it harder to find his head.

If you have good aim you're just better off being McCree or Ana right now though.

xaosslug

buff D.Va - make her DM charge her ult or regen heath as it swollows damage! :D

Hmm, if I were to nerf Zarya. I think I'd just target her Health. 300 or 350?

change 150 from shields to health. Give her 350 health and 50 shields. xP What makes Zarya such a problem is she regens heath w/o having to search for health packs. Most Zarya's when they get close to their 200 health pool just run away until their shield recharges and when they return their Lucio or Mercy or Zenny does the rest.

but even if they don't a good Zarya can sustain themselves by themselves. I was just in a KotH match w/ a Zarya on my team (we won) that I'm pretty sure never died and we didn't have a healer for the first couple of rounds. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom