• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Told you, can he still carry the whole team? no but that was never intended to be the case.

He's still a killing machine in the right hands.

Yesterday i was watching Pokelawls, he's an amazing Genji, he got so salty when the rest of his team sucked ass and he couldn't carry their asses anymore.

"Old Genji could have carried this, i can't carry this anymore".

Just shows how OP Genji really was.

Yh i thought something similar when i was playing
"My carrying potential with Genji has diminished"
:x

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Okay, but for someone just starting out, what's the best kind of map for her to learn on? What kind of maps is she OP on, so I can learn the ins and outs without making my team hate me?

King of the hill is probably easiest just because her ult is a lot easier to use since the team will naturally bunch up a lot. But anything on attack would be a good place to start.

Team comp matters more than map with her though. She's best paired with a second tank since they're great shield targets.

I think so too, doesn't mean that more can't be done. Right now it's zarya as a guaranteed pick, rein or winston depending on team makeup/map, and then roadhog and DVA as pretty situational picks. Would prefer all the tanks to be brought to the rein/winston level but that will be a very tricky thing to do.

Yeah, definitely a hard thing to pull off. I think a lot of it just stems from the way overwatch has a lot of counters, which makes characters rise and fall even if they're always strong. This shows the most with Pharah I feel, since she's good and all but not played often due to her counter being so strong all the time. I look at that and just think...nothing can really be done about that. If they buff her to a point where she's played despite McCree or Soldier in a bunch of games then imagine how strong she'll be if they aren't present.

I think this is hitting Dva the most, I like playing her a lot and you can still get a lot done but she pits up poorly against almost every other tank. So if you have something like rein/dva versus a team running zarya/rein the zarya is going to dismantle dva, rein only needs to watch out with firestrike since his ult, swings and charge are all fine, and even roadhog can just hook dva right into his team through matrix. Roadhog is teetering on the edge as a flex DPS since he's pick oriented and puts out huge damage, which is good but doesn't offer the protection the others do. Rein and Zarya just have all around solid kits that might be stifling other characters but I really don't see how they can get the others to that level without making them absurdly broken.

7qwcyBZ.jpg
Tbf, any competent genji, tracer, widowmaker, Winston, or D.va will know to target the healer. Unless there's communication, your team probably won't respond in time.

Another part of the hard life of being a healer.

At least Blizzard is fixing the support ranking issue.

caesar

Banned
Hate reaper so much, really is bs how easy it is to be effective with him. Even the really bad ones who walk fwd holding left click will get kills.

yup, and you'll learn to bubble your teammates more.

That will be my first focus- helping teammates. For whatever reason, every time Zarya shields my Rein or D.Va, I think it's an Ana boost, and I go charging in to attack. Oh well, at least my Zarya got some good charge on her weapon in exchange for my (repeated) inglorious deaths.

Papercuts

Ugh. Not a bad idea, but that would feel so different. Feel like I'm constantly melting Dva through her DM.

You definitely are, lol. Dva against Zarya is depressing. DM can't really threaten to eat graviton surge since she can melt the mech so easily too.

Would definitely be a big shake up.

Good games to night Kilgore and the rest of PS4 players!

Last one was intense!

So close to going Platinum... hopefully I rack up a series of wins instead of this back and forth.

Greddleok

Still keep over extending as Zarya. I'm so used to D.Vas boost as a perfect escape mechanism or to quickly grab near by med packs. Zarya just doesn't have that movement.
As others have noted, there are so many Zaryas around it's really hard to play D.Va. Just get wrecked through the defence matrix.

Getting better at playing Zenyatta too. The two healer combo is definitely the way forward in competitive. It's a shame I'm terrible with Lucio. Just can't seem to hit anything with his gun.

KyleCross

Hey Blizzard, you can totally throw Mercy into a suit of armor like that alternative costume for Ashley in RE4 at any time.

Seriously, whenever's good for you.

Thanks.

DM eats the beam.

That's kinda how I'm thinking.
The beam is the precisely reason why I started playing Zarya in the first place, as DVAs were everywhere after her buffs. She was a nightmare on Quick Play, since stacked DVAs would just shut the flow of the game down. They take way too many hits, and they have the ability to stall every encounter with eating every projectile, and the ability to fly and bump people around. By the time you took one down, another already came speeding back from spawn to start the whole thing over again. Not even coordinated ults could do much against it, since DVA eats them like the mechanical Kirby she is. Zarya's greatest contribution to the game was to deny this time-wasting strat.

If people think Zarya is too strong or too common, I'd much rather have a weakness come from another character than DVA.

Papercuts

Overbuff finally put me in top 1K roadhogs at 749, also shows 97th percentile lucio and 96th percentile Dva.

The site's been super fucked up lately but it's displaying my skill rating now so maybe something got fixed, feels good if that's accurate now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The beam is the precisely reason why I started playing Zarya in the first place, as DVAs were everywhere after her buffs. She was a nightmare on Quick Play, since stacked DVAs would just shut the flow of the game down. They take way too many hits, and they have the ability to stall every encounter with eating every projectile, and the ability to fly and bump people around. By the time you took one down, another already came speeding back from spawn to start the whole thing over again. Not even coordinated ults could do much against it, since DVA eats them like the mechanical Kirby she is. Zarya's greatest contribution to the game was to deny this time-wasting strat.

If people think Zarya is too strong or too common, I'd much rather have a weakness come from another character than DVA.

They really shouldn't balance things around qp.

It's like the most useless metric to balance things by. Also the direction they are moving away from.

GOD I just had the BEST timing for a sleep dart as Ana ever

We were attacking on Anubis and we were fighting for Point B and our Reaper killed 5 of them except for Mercy, and as she was running out behind a wall to rez the entire team, I got her right before she could and her entire team had to respawn. Bought us SO much time.

I love Ana so much

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yh i thought something similar when i was playing
"My carrying potential with Genji has diminished"
:x

Yeah but this is good, no hero no matter how good the player is should be able to carry the whole team when the rest sucks ass.

Overwatch is a team game after all.

Dispatch

I normally don't have issues with disconnecting, but I did disconnect yesterday during the match setup, and by the time I was able to log back in I had been given a ten minute "time out" and penalized 75 points for the loss.

I understand why it happened, but, man, am I still salty about it.

They really shouldn't balance things around qp.

It's like the most useless metric to balance things by. Also the direction they are moving away from.
I don't disagree, but ideally the balance should be a compromise that doesn't ruin either mode. Stacked Winstons used to be an issue, but I don't see Blizzard rolling back his old stats even if stacking them in comp is no longer possible. Like I said, if Zarya is a problem, I'm totally on board with looking for a solution. I just don't think it should come from DVa, as Zarya's beam is the only thing that keeps DVa from being a problem. The reliable counter is the compromise for having an otherwise fantastic kit in my eyes.

If it were me, I'd look into someone else penetrating Zarya's bubbles, or actively drain her charge.

Antiwhippy

Or they can just improve quick play instead of letting dva remain niche due to a mode not a lot of people take that seriously.

Also stacked winstons are still a problem man. One of the actual reason why 1HL got so popular.

Cappa

Banned
So, this is my first season playing competitive since I only started playing overwatch a couple weeks ago.

I've strictly solo queued and despite being put on some ridiculous bad teams(bad in terms of heroes picked its ridiculous that no one follows the warnings the game gives You) i think I've done ok.

Im in the 79th percentile according to overbuff. Zarya who has quickly become my main over Lucio and tracer I'm apparently in the 92nd percentile.

I don't know if I'm bad or good at this game. I feel like I'm really good but just getting stuck on bad teams.

Here are my stats

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/XxCappaXx?mode=competitive

So far over 7 placement matches, I'm 3 wins, 4 looses. Could be worse I guess. This is my first competitive season.

What's more important in the placement matches? Going for individual performance or getting the team victory? I have better individual performances with Reaper but I pay attention to the team warnings so I often pick a different character to try to give us a better chance of winning the game.

Getting better at playing Zenyatta too. The two healer combo is definitely the way forward in competitive. It's a shame I'm terrible with Lucio. Just can't seem to hit anything with his gun.

Remember to use Lucio's soundwave. Very effective on maps where there are cliffs or drop-off points. So many times I've pushed people off the map.

Ive been having a tough time with Hanzo post patch but he suddenly clicked.
Hes so good my god. I dont need Genji to carry when his brother can now.

Mendrox

Fuck Mei, fuck Zarya. Delete both of them. Maybe don't delete Mei because I play her sometimes myself and she can wreck shit, but please enemy team don't pick when I play Dva.

I would gladly allow Blizzard to buff the DM so that it can eat Zaryas beam <3

Antiwhippy

You know despite the predicted hanzopocalypse I haven't really encountered him much, and I see increased tournament play from him but still nowhere near mccree levels.

ekim

I did a short refresh on mouse grips and I can't really categorize what I'm doing.
There is not information on the placement of the wrist though. Do all of the 3 major grips have the wrist resting on the mousepad/table?

Cappa

Banned
You know despite the predicted hanzopocalypse I haven't really encountered him much, and I see increased tournament play from him but still nowhere near mccree levels.
Same. I've noticed people over exaggerate ridiculously in this game. It's a solid community but my God do people like to whine.

Tovarisc

So far over 7 placement matches, I'm 3 wins, 4 looses. Could be worse I guess. This is my first competitive season.

What's more important in the placement matches? Going for individual performance or getting the team victory? I have better individual performances with Reaper but I pay attention to the team warnings so I often pick a different character to try to give us a better chance of winning the game.

Wins and personal performance. It's why you may often run into teams with 0 tanks and 0 healers in first round of picks, round of mediocre DPS just boosts your personal performance stats much more than round of excellent healing. At the end do picks that you are competent with and aim for match wins.

DevilDog

Got DC'd from the game due to internet issues, un and replugged my wifi system and joined in too late for the game, it was already in the defeat screen.

Again, I didn't lose match points. I don't know how this works exactly but once people quantify it, they will never, ever lose rank again.

ekim

Got DC'd from the game due to internet issues, un and replugged my wifi system and joined in too late for the game, it was already in the defeat screen.

Again, I didn't lose match points. I don't know how this works exactly but once people quantify it, they will never, ever lose rank again.

You mean, it reconnected you to the game although the minute was over?

DevilDog

You mean, it reconnected you to the game although the minute was over?
Probably. What was even more weird was that when it was trying to reconnect me to the match, I had already lose my ranked points. After logging in, then leaving cause it was over, my ranked points were back.

Something seriously fucked up is going on there.

ekim

Probably. What was even more weird was that when it was trying to reconnect me to the match, I had already lose my ranked points. After logging in, then leaving cause it was over, my ranked points were back.

Something seriously fucked up is going on there.

You sure you got your ranked points back? My friends yesterday didn't notice their decrease in points after losing because there is no animation attached to it and they got confused by the career highscore and season highscore because they are the same.

Tovarisc

Just got to level 25, anything I should know about competitive mode? PC player here.
  • It isn't that different from QP when it comes to level / quality of players. You will get some amazing game and a lot facepalm games where one team can't find their shoes.
  • Play to your strengths aka heroes you are comfortable with. If you are good tank or healer you will be appreciated even if no one says it, or just call you names etc. for doing "bad job" when not saving divers.
  • If you have doubts about map layouts I would check them out in custom game as spectator. More intense games require that you know you layouts and routes. Especially when doing death run from spawn.
  • If you pick hero like Bastion people will look at you sideways as he is very unreliable hero thanks to being immobile so much, so be godtier with picks like that or people will yell at you (very likely)
  • Have fun!

Edit: and yeah soloQ is very hit and miss, but grpQ may be just as brutal

Restarted the game and battle net. Checked my career profile, nope, I never lost em.

I call hax! Ban him! No, but seriously. How did you do it, share your wisdom old one?

DevilDog

I call hax! Ban him! No, but seriously. How did you do it, share your wisdom old one?
There were 2 separate instances of this happening. I did it by accident though, so I'm not sure if it will work.

1) When someone on your team abandons, wait for the 1 minute mark, then once your whole team leaves, stay in your protected spawn area. You can move around and shoot outside, but the game will tell you you're AFK after a while and kick you. You won't lose any ranked points. Keep in mind this happened on PTR and I had no time or place to recreate it. If someone leaves try it and report it.

2) Got insane ping, around 1000 for a solid 3 minutes. Once the game kicked me I restarted everything and rejoined the game. I immediately checked my career profile and I saw I had lost ranked points. Immediately after the game instantly got me back into my old game, where I saw the defeat screen. POTG cam was glitched so I left manually before POTG ended. I checked my career profile again, and my ranked points were back.

What the hell is going on?

You sure you got your ranked points back? My friends yesterday didn't notice their decrease in points after losing because there is no animation attached to it and they got confused by the career highscore and season highscore because they are the same.

Restarted the game and battle net. Checked my career profile, nope, I never lost em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom