• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Tanks in general have to just ignore Mei and trust their DPS to take care of her.

Eh not really, because mei will aim to cut the tanks off the main group.

Like on eichenwilde, if i see a rein overextending i just cut them off by themselves and the rest of the group pretty much collapses. Both on defense and attack.

Plus i don't actually want to take a tank on 1 v 1 because mei doesn't actually do that much damage. She's never going kill a tank before they kill her.

zoukka

Eh not really, because mei will aim to cut the tanks off the main group.

Like on eichenwilde, if i see a rein overextending i just cut them off by themselves and the rest of the group pretty much collapses. Both on defense and attack.

Plus i don't actually want to take a tank on 1 v 1 because mei doesn't actually do that much damage. She's never going kill a tank before they kill her.

That's all fine and dandy in theory, but cutting off people isn't easy and only works in tight chokes. Tanks can't easily escape/outdamage Mei so you can freeze them, that's why Mei is dangerous against tanks, not because she does big DPS or anything.

Pachimari

I feel Mei is so hard to be up against. I never see her freezing coming, but I guess I should keep a distance to her, so she won't be able to freeze me.

Antiwhippy

That's what I'm saying though is that they will outdamage her. In a group situation though yeah I'll run up to disable them so my team can finish them off.

Also if I'm playing seriously i only play mei on maps with tight chokes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
We all Sombra now.

2016-09-0712_34_02-ovkuu91.png

ViviOggi

Mid-platinum is nothing but trashcan dps thinking they're hot shit and going for the epic mlg solo clutches 24/7 while Reapers holding left click but sticking with the team stay free af

I want my 60s meta back where people had the basics down and managed to group properly

ekim

Mid-platinum is nothing but trashcan dps thinking they're hot shit and going for the epic mlg solo clutches 24/7 while Reapers holding left click but sticking with the team stay free af

I want my 60s meta back where people had the basics down and managed to group properly

Same on high gold. :-/

On one hand, it's nice to see my main boo dating back to the beta, D. Va, getting so much love. On the other, I dont like her getting attention... that could lead to troublesome things like more nerfing. Ha

Hated PSN was down, was itching for some GAF play.

Im at a point where I have 5 people I feel I can play pretty damn well, in order - D. Va, Zenyatta, Reaper, Zarya, and Tracer. Mei and Soldier 76 right behind them.

Recently, been trying to practice Reinhardt, and have had some of my best games with him, but not that comfy with him yet. Still have trouble with knowing when to be aggressive and when to just hold ground.

ekim

Still looking for people to play ranked with me. EU/PC
Can play as Zen, S76, McCree, Dva, Winston, Lucio
ekim#21760

LiK

I haven't played since my 150 point drop Monday morning. It soured me, then I was doing physics homework all day Tuesday. I'll be on Wednesday evening if you wanna group up. Maybe Dva + Zarya combo can help get my groove back. Although not really feeling the six man stacks. It'd be great to get a real team and everyone synergizes and plays their roles well. But as is, with very few mics, not playing together often enough, and playing characters we aren't comfortable with, it really doesn't work very well.

2-3 man group is ideal I think.

2-3 man is fine. As soon as we get 5-6 player groups, enemy team will most likely be another full group. I've been having the most luck in 2-man as D.va x Zarya combo so we should be ok.

I've had the most success going in with a Reaper main and a healer main and just locking in those two and Zarya as the game starts. It lets random xXxDPSdudexXX be random DPS, and it leaves a support and tank role for people who need to do that. Plus Zarya and Reaper have lots of synergy.

Greddleok

I'm curious as to why the healer/tank roles aren't immediately snapped up. It's like - do you guys not want to win? You know we're not going to win without healers/tanks right?

LiK

I'm curious as to why the healer/tank roles aren't immediately snapped up. It's like - do you guys not want to win? You know we're not going to win without healers/tanks right?

I think some people just don't want to play those roles cuz it's not the usual "murdering enemy team" heroes. They don't need to think about their teammates as much.

X-Frame

If you Graviton the well on Illos while the enemy team is on the opposite edge, do they all get immediately pulled into the well and fall to their death?

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
I think I've decided to try and main Mercy for season 2. Fuck knows why. I've hardly played as her. Any tips?

Basic stuff: Stop using her gun! Even if no one's hurt you could be damage boosting a Junkrat or pre-healing a frontline Zarya who's about to take damage. Try to keep track of your entire team's health, don't get tunnel vision and focus only on healing one teammate for too long. Position yourself so that you've always got at least 2 faraway teammates you can Guardian Angel to and preferably a wall you can peek out from. Watch out for flankers at all times and always be aware of Reaper's position/ult status if possible.

More advanced: If an enemy comes after you and cuts in between you and your beam target, walk AWAY from your teammate until you reach the edge of Guardian Angel range and then fly back, you're much more likely to survive this way and if your teammate's not oblivious they can easily shoot the enemy in the back while they chase you. Start cancelling Guardian Angel dashes midflight by hitting the button again, to stop yourself from overextending and getting gunned down. Keep an eye out for Zarya and build up an awareness of when she's got an ult ready so you can back off.

Rezzing: Don't wait too long to rez! You'll get it again, so use it if 2+ players are dead and the fighting seems to have died down. It can also be worth it sometimes to revive just one teammate if they're a decent tank/healer, or if you're about to die in the next couple seconds anyways.

TrueBlue

It's worse when you're killing it as a DPS character in the first round in comp and then a team-mate hogs that very character straight away for round two.
and then someone else took my second choice

You're lucky I'm half decent with Mercy.

I think some people just don't want to play those roles cuz it's not the usual "murdering enemy team" heroes. They don't need to think about their teammates as much.

And players that don't think of their team and just want to kill things are usually the cancer of the team. You can have 100 elims but if your team gets wiped behind you then that 100 elims is useless.

Hell I've seen one guy get 60 elims and the team lost because although he was very good, his team was quite horrible. So 3 people just kept him occupied far from the point, the remaining 3 killed off his team and captured the point. The guy can beat 1v3 but his team lost 5v3.

Greddleok

But you get to murder enemy team using tanks and healers (although less so Mercy). And I mean...who doesn't like winning?!

Tank and support are boring!
I don't know how to play them!
Someone else will do it!
Good players play DPS!

MGrant

So yeah, good communication is key for climbing out of gold solo queue, I think. Even simple things like a Lucio speed boost through a chokepoint with all teammates is enough to win more than half of the games. Problem is, I'm on a server with very few English speakers. But it can work!

Antiwhippy

And players that don't think of their team and just want to kill things are usually the cancer of the team. You can have 100 elims but if your team gets wiped behind you then that 100 elims is useless.

Hell I've seen one guy get 60 elims and the team lost because although he was very good, his team was quite horrible. So 3 people just kept him occupied far from the point, the remaining 3 killed off his team and captured the point. The guy can beat 1v3 but his team lost 5v3.

Uh, I'd say it's more on the team then because what else can you do?

Though I guess he shouldn't have been wandering away.

LiK

But you get to murder enemy team using tanks and healers (although less so Mercy). And I mean...who doesn't like winning?!

Yea, but supports and tanks are primarily there to protect their teams from enemy attacks. It's a bit more babysitting than what the DPS guys do. So most randoms I've seen will quickly snap up those roles.

I'm glad my mains are Defense and Tanks. People rarely grab them first.

Salarians

Lucio tells us to group up, we get to the point, quickly become the only one left standing. I die and see our Lucio wasn't with us, healing us, but was by himself trying to destroy a level 3 Torbjorn turret 😩

Basic stuff: Stop using her gun! Even if no one's hurt you could be damage boosting a Junkrat or pre-healing a frontline Zarya who's about to take damage. Try to keep track of your entire team's health, don't get tunnel vision and focus only on healing one teammate for too long. Position yourself so that you've always got at least 2 faraway teammates you can Guardian Angel to and preferably a wall you can peek out from. Watch out for flankers at all times and always be aware of Reaper's position/ult status if possible.

More advanced: If an enemy comes after you and cuts in between you and your beam target, walk AWAY from your teammate until you reach the edge of Guardian Angel range and then fly back, you're much more likely to survive this way and if your teammate's not oblivious they can easily shoot the enemy in the back while they chase you. Start cancelling Guardian Angel dashes midflight by hitting the button again, to stop yourself from overextending and getting gunned down. Keep an eye out for Zarya and build up an awareness of when she's got an ult ready so you can back off.

Rezzing: Don't wait too long to rez! You'll get it again, so use it if 2+ players are dead and the fighting seems to have died down. It can also be worth it sometimes to revive just one teammate if they're a decent tank/healer, or if you're about to die in the next couple seconds anyways.

Thanks for this.

The resurrection was something I've been thinking about. In that one game I had I was holding off using it for a couple of people, thinking it was a waste. But, yeah, it's a case of knowing who's down and helping the team at the time.

Greddleok

I like to main tanks, but there have been so many games where everyone picks DPS, and one other person picks a tank. I'd love to play D.Va or Zarya, but I feel like a healer would help the team far more.

I'm a competent healer, and it's fun, I just don't understand why people feel like they're more likely to win with dps than the 3 tank 3 healer (or 2,2,2) combo.

LiK

I like to main tanks, but there have been so many games where everyone picks DPS, and one other person picks a tank. I'd love to play D.Va or Zarya, but I feel like a healer would help the team far more.

I'm a competent healer, and it's fun, I just don't understand why people feel like they're more likely to win with dps than the 3 tank 3 healer (or 2,2,2) combo.

Yea, choose whoever you're good at cuz winning the match is what matters. I don't follow metas or whatever. Just pick who I'm good at and it's usually a good game or at least a close one. As long as team comp makes sense and has the necessary classes then it's fine. The last thing I want is someone choosing a hero they suck at and doing jackshit to contribute cuz they're not good with that specific hero.

Gorillaz

Yea, choose whoever you're good at cuz winning the match is what matters. I don't follow metas or whatever. Just pick who I'm good at and it's usually a good game or at least a close one. As long as team comp makes sense and has the necessary classes then it's fine. The last thing I want is someone choosing a hero they suck at and doing jackshit to contribute cuz they're not good with that specific hero.

Agreed. I would feel it out if your going all randoms. Like it it works following one of the old metas stick with it but if it doesn't just say fuck it. Rather win a match then to lose because I wanted to live and die by a meta that couldn't get the job done

Greddleok

That's the thing, team comp is what seems most important to me. None of the heroes are REALLY difficult to play. After an hour I feel like I can play competently, although not exceptionally, so like everyone should have practiced enough with an easy healer like Lucio. His use requires the least work babysitting from my experience.

Lucio tells us to group up, we get to the point, quickly become the only one left standing. I die and see our Lucio wasn't with us, healing us, but was by himself trying to destroy a level 3 Torbjorn turret 😩

I had a D.Va tell everyone to group up. We did. She then flew over a piece of water that no one else could cross. She died. We tried to follow around the choke point, we died because no tank.

PowerTaxi

Banned
So I picked up the PS4 version because I assume aim assist will be better for my dodgy right hand. In my first match, I had 24 eliminations as D.va and didn't let the other team get to the first checkpoint on Dorado basically single-handedly.

I know it was because I was matched with low level players but I have to wonder why I didn't play this version from the start.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
I can understand not wanting to play Lucio because he's pretty boring, but I honestly kinda feel bad for DPS folks who never pick the other healers. They help win games for sure, but they're also just super fun to play! For me, nothing in the game can really compare to weaving through bullets with Mercy or sleeping Tracers and sending nano-boosted Reinhardts off to battle as Ana.

But, yeah, it's a case of knowing who's down and helping the team at the time.

Yep exactly! Like 80% of playing Mercy well is being dodgy as all get-out, but the other 20% is understanding who's actually contributing to your team at any given moment.

DevilDog

I do. But then either me and my team will fight her or we deserve to lose.

And fighting someone who can negate almost any ultimate you can do to her with the press of a button, with 400 hp and the skinniest hitbox of all the tanks, is no easy feat. Or at least without sacrificing anyone.

PatjuhR

I can understand not wanting to play Lucio because he's pretty boring, but I honestly kinda feel bad for DPS folks who never pick the other healers. They help win games for sure, but they're also just super fun to play! For me, nothing in the game can really compare to weaving through bullets with Mercy or sleeping Tracers and sending nano-boosted Reinhardts off to battle as Ana.

Yep exactly! Like 80% of playing Mercy well is being dodgy as all get-out, but the other 20% is understanding who's actually contributing to your team at any given moment.

You forgot to mention Zenyatta!

Salarians

Finished my placement matches; four wins, four loses, two draws: 2401. Better than expected considering how some of these matches went.

Uh, I'd say it's more on the team then because what else can you do?

Though I guess he shouldn't have been wandering away.

I agree with this, there have been times where I've killed both snipers, taken out a torb turret and when I turn around my entire team has somehow died to the remainder of their team. In cases like that I don't know what else I can really do if my teammates aren't pulling their weight.

peakish

People play to have fun and some like DPS characters more than tanks or support. They might prefer losing with a fun character to winning with something else, especially since winning isn't a guarantee either way.

I understand why. Over the last month or so in solo queue I almost always picked a tank or support because I try to pick to the best comp. I burned out because I was mostly rotating between four characters, one of which I don't really enjoy. Choosing between playing for the team and something I enjoy has made me stop booting the game up, even though I was excited for S2.

Antiwhippy

Fucking junkrats again on attack.

I wouldn't be so bothered by it if I've met one that actually seems to do, well, anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom