• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crzy1

Can Mercy still rez someone if Reaper eats their soul?

She shouldn't be able to. That would be some interesting counterplay.
She can rez anyone that's died and still hasn't respawned. Any nerf to that would require a substantial buff to her other abilities, honestly.

No one would play her if there were a Reaper on the other team and her healing even after being buffed isn't enough to outpace his damage if he's close enough and hitting headshots. He definitely doesn't need to shut down her strongest ability.

Jacqli

It's funny thinking about my struggles with m/kb back when I started OW, my first pc game; it's second nature now and my favourite controller option. I'm glad I didn't invest in a DS4 or something.

I envy you :(((((((((( Tell me your secret.

finalflame

I hope so! And your friend as well!
In my case, I like characters such as Reindhart or Reaper, but I do not even picture myself playing with snipers. I tried some of them while we were in skirmish and God, I was so bad at them, like aiming was out of the question.

It's reallllly just a matter of practice! I'm trash with controllers but really good with M+KB. Every time I spend a few days/weeks playing controller games that require aiming, I immediately get better, but usually don't continue on a streak playing those games long enough to permanently enhance my controller aiming skills. If you give me a controller and tell me to play an FPS I'd seem handicapped.

Thanks!

About 60% solo queue, 30% duo or trio and 10% full group.

Which platform? If PC, bravo! What heroes were you playing? I want to get to Diamond myself -- placed 2756, high of 2883, currently 2653. Shit's hard, man.

R0ckman

It is just that I feel especially clumsy. Normally I would have to get used to the game itself, but not a new type of control and that is driving me a bit crazy. Like if you gave your parents (well, or whoever does not play games) a controller, they start looking at the buttons every time they have to press them and such. So am I right now.
I would take into account about the sensitive, I had DPI selected at medium in my mouse so I am going to switch it lower and stop getting bad habits.

I hope so! And your friend as well!
In my case, I like characters such as Reindhart or Reaper, but I do not even picture myself playing with snipers. I tried some of them while we were in skirmish and God, I was so bad at them, like aiming was out of the question.

Glad we had the same idea, because I bought a (very cheap) mouse so I could swap the abilities as old mine only had three buttons. Now it feels much better than the first day that I tried to play with the default controls, but I would feel miles better with a controller.

It is not a bad idea a Steam Controller, although I should try it first before purchasing as it is so different and do not have the money right now. Despite the awakwardness, do you feel the same precision as with a mouse? Or at least better than with any other controller?

Wow, I do need to take a look at this. How much did it cost you? And I agree with the keyboard part, it feels alien to me and unfriendly. It is weird.

I almost forgot! Thank you, thank you and thank you to all of you. I hope we can fight in OW as allies or enemies one day!

For some reason it went up in price, when I got it, it was 64 bucks, now its 70?!

But you can get a wired usb version thats 50
or even used ones, there are other companies that makes these as well I'll post them later.

Kito

Watched Seagull play Symmetra on Hanamura from yesterday. These were his mistakes from a Sym main pov:

-Putting turrets near their spawn. They will have no effect or give ult charge on a full health 6 man team.
-Investing 3 turrets on 1 health pack that may or may not be used. Even if an opponent does use the pack, it could be a tank that just instakills your turrets.
-Roaming the map aimlessly instead of contributing damage in chokes via orb spam.
-Spending far too long deciding where to put teleporter, but I guess if you don't play Sym / play against Sym much, you wouldn't know the best spots.

Rad-

Which platform? If PC, bravo! What heroes were you playing? I want to get to Diamond myself -- placed 2756, high of 2883, currently 2653. Shit's hard, man.

PS4. My three most played heroes are McCree, Zen and Zarya but I played almost all depending on the situation/map.

finalflame

PS4. My three most played heroes are McCree, Zen and Zarya.

Nice, congrats.

Watched Seagull play Symmetra on Hanamura from yesterday. These were his mistakes from a Sym main pov:

-Putting turrets near their spawn. They will have no effect or give ult charge on a full health 6 man team.
-Investing 3 turrets on 1 health pack that may or may not be used. Even if an opponent does use the pack, it could be a tank that just instakills your turrets.
-Roaming the map aimlessly instead of contributing damage in chokes via orb spam.
-Spending far too long deciding where to put teleporter, but I guess if you don't play Sym / play against Sym much, you wouldn't know the best spots.

Nice tips, but I'd imagine if Seagull was playing Symmetra at all, he wasn't taking the game very seriously/putting much thought into the match.

Fantomex

Eh not really, because mei will aim to cut the tanks off the main group.

Like on eichenwilde, if i see a rein overextending i just cut them off by themselves and the rest of the group pretty much collapses. Both on defense and attack.

Plus i don't actually want to take a tank on 1 v 1 because mei doesn't actually do that much damage. She's never going kill a tank before they kill her.

Mei is like Anthrax to my D.VA. I see her and just try to finish her off before she has a chance to notice me, or I poke and run away and repeat.

Jacqli

It's reallllly just a matter of practice! I'm trash with controllers but really good with M+KB. Every time I spend a few days/weeks playing controller games that require aiming, I immediately get better, but usually don't continue on a streak playing those games long enough to permanently enhance my controller aiming skills. If you give me a controller and tell me to play an FPS I'd seem handicapped.
But I think the controller is more intuitive. Like you have these different buttons and that's all whereas a keyboard is a bunch of keys and many times there is little relation to the action they do (R - reload but crouching is Ctrl or one of the abilities is Shift!). And I feel lucky because I have WASD in a different colour, otherwise I would not even bother and just see how they kill me again and again. :(

For some reason it went up in price, when I got it, it was 64 bucks, now its 70?!

But you can get a wired usb version thats 50
or even used ones, there are other companies that makes these as well I'll post them later.
I would appreciate that. I took a look at Amazon and saw pads like this one:
41ZwhJH3LVL.jpg

But not exactly like the one of your image. I vastly prefer your recommendation.

I have a gaming mouse with E and Lshift mapped to side buttons, 2 to scroll wheel, and Q to scroll wheel click.
I did that after my unfortunate attempts with the default control scheme. And I think I have it more or less like you, although I have all the abilities in the mouse.

LiK

gawd, i'm so fucking pissed cuz of the idiots here at work. can't wait to go home and shoot some assholes in the head.

Tovarisc

Shame reporting system is useless and never results in Blizzard taking action. Just had game where random constantly verbally harassed my friend. From calling names to telling him to commit suicides and telling my friend how to do it etc. Seen a lot players like that and reported them, nothing has never come out of reports. Extremely toxic fucks can keep on playing and being toxic fucks.

matmanx1

I asked in one of the OTs once if I should buy the game despite the fact that I would play with a controller. I ended up buying the retail version for 40€ two days ago. And I have played three hours so far and been forcing myself to play with KB+M. I must admit that I like it in general (the community does not seem bad, one helped me out with a recommendation although GG at the end of each match is getting old TBH), but I feel reaaaaally clumsy. Like I forget from time to time use my abilities or I get too stressed out because I have to learn the game as well as dealing with this control.

I do not know if there are tips for complete noobies. I would like to get better at overwatch.

Practice, practice, practice. It takes time to build up muscle memory and reaction speed while using the kb + m but once you do it feels completely natural. You might also want to check your dpi settings on your mouse (if you can, some mice you can't) and lower it down to 900 or so while lowering in game sensitivity. This will help you track and land shots more consistently.

AngryMoth

Fuck yeah, got my first hexakill with Zaria just now, and my first win ever in competitive where somebody on my team left the match

lmao, YES! ^___^

i do find that D.Va is one of the best character's to build momentum/team moral with, which can go a long way to carry a bad/team in disaray through to the end.

Yeah, she's still great in QP. You can harass or outright kill Hanzos and Widows, pelt from distance (QP players often panic when taking damage, even if it's barely scratching them) and draw aggro, eat Ults. It always feels like there's something you can do to help get your team calmed down.

Oh, and out-of-mek D.Va is a nasty little squishy in her own right, especially when she's laying down suppressing fire from the back line. I can't count the number of times a Genji or Reaper has panic-ulted to kill me after D.Va squishy started pelting them in the head from close range. QP may be easy mode, but it's still so much fun, win or lose.

Jarate

Banned
Im at 2800 right now I think?

I should really be diamond though, I don't think I've ever not medaled in damage and I basically only play Zenyatta or Zarya

Jacqli

Shame reporting system is useless and never results in Blizzard taking action. Just had game where random constantly verbally harassed my friend. From calling names to telling him to commit suicides and telling my friend how to do it etc. Seen a lot players like that and reported them, nothing has never come out of reports. Extremely toxic fucks can keep on playing and being toxic fucks.
What the heck. What's wrong with some people. One of the aspects that was holding me back of buying this game was, apart from the control, the community. When I was really into multiplayer games on consoles, I could get way too angry by some assholes instead of killing time.

Maybe you should try your luck through social networks like Twitter and warn Blizzard. I have the feeling that they usually pay more attention through those channels.

Practice, practice, practice. It takes time to build up muscle memory and reaction speed while using the kb + m but once you do it feels completely natural. You might also want to check your dpi settings on your mouse (if you can, some mice you can't) and lower it down to 900 or so while lowering in game sensitivity. This will help you track and land shots more consistently.
I would definitely lower the DPI. Maybe that was part of the problem when I tried to use snipers. And I would practice for sure because I want to play the game everytime that I have free time!
Thanks. :)

Wait, you guys gave me an idea. Maybe I can use a Move Navigation Controller:
B002I0K6X6.01.sm.jpg

They are cheaper than anything I have seen so far. I am going to search if somebody has done it already.

Im at 2800 right now I think?

I should really be diamond though, I don't think I've ever not medaled in damage and I basically only play Zenyatta or Zarya

I've been trying to play what the team needs, but I'm starting to realize how hopeless that is. Zenny / Zarya will probably be my first choices unless they're picked already.

Yup, that's me right now. Means I get lots of POTMs until I slowly climb back up, at least.

I feel like Batman trying to climb out of the pit in TDKR. I will rise, one day.

xaosslug

so, like, had a person on chat having a conniption fit (berating peeps, yelling at peeps to group up, 'wtf are y'all doing?!!', etc) in a comp match earlier - AND WE WERE WINNING (we won). *boggle*

Finally got around to being able to play since the patch drops. Some late hot takes:

- New map is a ton of fun. Nice verticality with plenty of access points. Tracer is a blast to play here, zipping around.

- McCree on console is seriously legit now, even with the ult nerf. Single shots are a lot more reliable and, because of this, his ult gain rate seems to have increased. The reality is just that the singles do a lot of damage, and now that it's not whiffing on jumping targets when you have them in your crosshair, damage is being done more reliably.

- Zarya's beam. Got an unassisted triple kill a little too easily over lunch. The range almost feels a little shy of McCree's best effective range... it's that crazy.

- D.Va's DM didn't feel that different. I was never a tap-tap-tapper when using it anyway, since it seemed like shots would go through that way. Did they add a thing where her mech call down has a pushback when it lands?

- Haven't tried Genji but I watched a natural quad kill. i.e. no Zarya or Mei ult grouping... just pure dancing.

Sometimes it feels like her mech is made of glass and you die immediately, multiple times.

And then you switch to Bastion because you've given up.

It happens, teams have learned to focus fire her before she starts swooping around pestering people. I switch to Rein when I get pasted repeatedly, though. Not Bastion. Never Bastion. There's a line...

antitrop

I feel like Batman trying to climb out of the pit in TDKR. I will rise, one day.

Or Joseph and Caesar trying to climb the oily pillar in JoJo.

- New map is a ton of fun. Nice verticality with plenty of access points. Tracer is a blast to play here, zipping around.
I call it "The Draw Map" now. Almost all of my games there have ended with neither team even coming close to capping A. It is awesome, once someone can actually get through that first choke.

Azoor

I'm trying to have a positive approach when it comes to competitive. I really don't hate it when I lose rank, the most important thing is I'm doing my best and trying to do my role in match. Even if I lost all my points, sure it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. The most important thing is that I'm having fun.

Being toxic isn't going to reverse time and make you win.

Anyway to ignore/avoid certain players? I've seen prefer player but no ignore/avoid or anything. Insanely frustrating session earlier, started with a win, after which lost 3 in a row due to leavers/afk. Then lost another due to a leaver, who was in a group as well, and lost a couple of tight games which is obviously going to happen (one match was at 2-2 and the opponents had 1 minute to push the payload in dorado, they pushed the payload all the way to the end, who knows how), but all in all frustrating.

Still working on my placements. Had a crazy KOTH game on Nepal earlier. Managed to come back from getting completely rekt the first 2 rounds to sweep it 3 straight. Managed to close it with a team wipe Zarya wombo combo. Of course I didn't get potg for it though lol

Currently 4-2. Hoping to get at least 6 wins by the end of it. I don't know where that'll place me going if it really goes off of season 1.I placed around 50 then dropped and quit and came back and got 52 during the last few days.

I don't know why you wouldn't. If you have a PC that can run the game properly and you love Overwatch then that is absolutely the best way to play it. I'm not here to look down on console folks and console Overwatch but from owning the PS4 version and the PC version I can tell you that there's no contest between the two. Blizzard did not do a great job with the aiming on the console and for that reason playing the PC version feels like weights have been taken off of my arms and legs. I'm encouraging everyone that is able to come in to the light of glory that is the PC version. =)

All of my friends are on PS4 and my PC is almost never even plugged in.

Pilgrimzero

New day, let's try Comp. Oh look DVa and Junkrat on my team again. The new Dynamic Duo apparently. And KOTH maps. This gonna be great.

Damn -Rad that's amazing. I placed 2008 and was happy to get to 3016 (and promptly plummet back to 2890) I haven't had much success at all. Seems so easy to rank down and so hard to rank up. Very impressive to go up that much.

SmartBase

Failed to connect to game server in the middle of a match, internet is working fine. Thanks Blizzard, I really wanted another loss and competitive mode penalty.

edit- Loaded up another match, instant disconnect. Amazing.

Danj

I see competitive matchmaking is still so bad below rank 2000.

Maybe they should make it so people with golden weapons can only match with other people with golden weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom