• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, Hanzo fills various other things.
- He's Japanese
- He's an honourable samurai dude, honourable samurai dudes are cool
- He has dragons
- He has wolves in his alt skin
- He has an aura of mystique and grey morality surrounding him
- He can get dumb blind headshots by spamming/scatter arrowing randomly, making his players feel good about themselves

• bara
  • tiddy

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
With Genji, should I use R2 or L2 when firing? I usually hit with at least two shurikens with R2, but I see a lot of places recommend L2 better. And what's a good kill combo on 200 HP heroes?

It's usually based on proximity or where you are in the map (like a hallway, use the 3 straight ones). L2 is the spread and works when you're really close or fighting someone that's almost dead and a pain to hit. If you're from afar just pepper chokes or the point with R2, it has no damage falloff and builds you ult pretty quickly.

The combo is L2, Melee, swift strike when you're right next to someone, all 3 shurikens hit and go into the melee right into the strike. Done right it does 180 so they need to be weakened a little bit more for the kill. You can also do it in reverse and strike from far away, 180 into l2/melee.

Roubjon

I got a bunch of hate mail on PS4 for being in the 70s in a group that averaged in the 60s. I guess I was some kind of explicit leecher who got to my rank because I sat there and mooched off of everyone. He and his buddy were wonderful humans.

patchday

Ground through all my placement matches today. Started to get sloppy towards the end, but ended with 7/10 with a rank of 61.

Grats! Nice rank
yay 65!

I've been Rank 63-64 and have been joining into 68-70 average games so each win is like over a half a rank.

Grats man!!! Good to see some old familiar faces from Destiny thread thriving here btw. I think I even had you on my ps4 friends at one point. Anyways, grats.

I play OW on PC mostly tho

GAF I broke. I bought some lootboxes for 10 euros earlier today hoping to finally get my olympic Dva skin. The only thing I got were alot of dupes and a Lucio olympic one. Decided to just play some more and hope for the best. Two more lootboxes later and nothing yet. Unfortunately I topped up my paypal with a little too much money and I bought some more lootboxes. Guess what? First a Nihon Genji and then in the second one my Taegeuki Dva skin! I may have gotten my skins but I paid a heavy price for them... 20 euros to be exact. I'm sure Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing with those drops, or like always my luck just sucks.

Edit: Also got Olympic Zarya.

Grats on olympic Zarya. I really like the skin but dont think I want to pay for boxes. I really meant to try to play more during this event but its been tough juggling Hearthstone + Overwatch + a tiny bit of HoTS

Veelk

Banned
Why do people pick Hanzo ever? If you're the kind of person who only picks snipers in shooters, there are two better snipers available, plus, one of them can actually contribute to the team! I have never in my life seen a useful Hanzo on my team or an enemy team. Why do people insist on picking this useless character?

Widow better than Hanzo?

In what way?

Hanzo has a scattershot as his ability. Widow has a piss weak poisonmine that barely does anything.

Hanzo has a passive wallclimb ability he can use to escape. Widow as a grapple that has a 10 second cooldown for some reason.

Hanzo has a sonar arrow that can alert the team of what the enemy is doing. Widow needs to activate her ult to do that.

Hanzo's ult can kill people. Widows ult is usually useless.

Widow is very easy to sneak up on because she is looking through a scope. Hanzo is not only more difficult, because he has more awareness, eh can just turn and fire his shot and hit the enemy. Widow is almost always dead the second literally anyone decides to come after her.

Widow has a better sniper-range weapon, I can give her that. But Hanzo makes for a great mid-range fighter if he's used as such. You do that, and he's actually pretty good, doing significant damage in single shots. Maybe it's cheap to spam arrows, but it can get results, and it's no different from a junkrat spamming his grenades. With Widow, you have to be good at aiming to make even a marginal difference.

Hanzo's can be shit and it's annoying to get a shit player no matter what, but you're almost always worse off with a Widowmaker.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not only that, Hanzo fills various other things.
- He's Japanese
- He's an honourable samurai dude, honourable samurai dudes are cool
- He has dragons
- He has wolves in his alt skin
- He has an aura of mystique and grey morality surrounding him
- He can get dumb blind headshots by spamming/scatter arrowing randomly, making his players feel good about themselves

The best way to use scatter isn't to go for headshots so i don't know what you're talking about.

KiraFA37

Grats on olympic Zarya. I really like the skin but dont think I want to pay for boxes. I really meant to try to play more during this event but its been tough juggling Hearthstone + Overwatch + a tiny bit of HoTS

The thing is I have been getting a lootbox or two everyday since the event but in each one I have had atleast 1 to 2 duplicates, and thats whats been annoying me. I didn't want to pay for boxes but I had some spare cash laying around and though "eh why not?" The game has been good so far and I suspect I'll keep playing it for quite a while so it isn't a total waste. So happy I've finally gotten my skins though.

Defend on Dorado
Team comp looking good
One last teammate has to pick their character
*NO HEALER*
Last person picks Hanzo
Team gets mad at them
Constant "We need a healer" while looking at the Hanzo
They won't change
I change to Zen
Rest of the team thanks me
Hanzo player constantly asks where the healer is when I'm dead because of enemy teams sniper.
Hanzo can't hit shit
Hanzo gets even more mad when I focus on healing the tanks being surrounded
"Where's our damn healer!" every time I'm dead

I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN DAMMIT, WHY DID YOU PICK HANZO

RemiLP

3 bball goals in a row! Just pick lucio, stand behind the ball on the table, aim at the bottom of the net and punch. Easy ;)

KarmaCow

Defend on Dorado
Team comp looking good
One last teammate has to pick their character
*NO HEALER*
Last person picks Hanzo
Team gets mad at them
Constant "We need a healer" while looking at the Hanzo
They won't change
I change to Zen
Rest of the team thanks me
Hanzo player constantly asks where the healer is when I'm dead because of enemy teams sniper.
Hanzo can't hit shit
Hanzo gets even more mad when I focus on healing the tanks being surrounded
"Where's our damn healer!" every time I'm dead

I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN DAMMIT, WHY DID YOU PICK HANZO

The Hanzo complaining about the lack of heals is stupid but I'm almost at the point in quick play where I don't give a shit. There's really no other place for me to actually try the other characters that I'll take going into a game with no healer if it means I don't have to play Lucio.

patchday

wow competitive sure is rough state just like I tohught. Doesnt make much sense.

it was escourt but you have to play attack AND defend? Makes matches twice as long.

We won first 'round' but then because we lost 2nd round we lost the entire thing

Bizzare!!! just felt really bad I dont think I can do this lol. I'm sure Ranked will be great next season but this just felt broken and long winded too. Twice as long as normal matches and all this work for some golden guns and sprays? Come on now we can improve this

-=--------

I did like all the other things though- like the UI, feedback, and no duplicate heroes. Not all bad!!! Gonna try again

You do both attack and defend because some maps favor one over the other, so both teams get a chance to try both.

Also, there has to be a good reason you lost that, although I don't know what to say there.

Did it go to sudden death after the second round or just end there?

Prelude.

wow competitive sure is rough state just like I tohught. Doesnt make much sense.

it was escourt but you have to play attack AND defend? Makes matches twice as long.

We won first 'round' but then because we lost 2nd round we lost the entire thing

Bizzare!!! just felt really bad I dont think I can do this lol. I'm sure Ranked will be great next season but this just felt broken and long winded too. Twice as long as normal matches and all this work for some golden guns and sprays? Come on now we can improve this
Well, it makes sense that both teams have the same chances, defending isn't the same as attacking so the team that can get more checkpoints in 2 rounds wins. It won't change that in season 2, the only thing they'll remove is sudden death.

KarmaCow

With payload maps, on defense even if you stop them from fully capping with the cart, you still need to push farther than they did when it comes time for you to attack.

patchday

Well, it makes sense that both teams have the same chances, defending isn't the same as attacking so the team that can get more checkpoints in 2 rounds wins. It won't change that in season 2, the only thing they'll remove is sudden death.

Forcing both sides to attack and defend is why I prefer rank honestly.

You do both attack and defend because some maps favor one over the other, so both teams get a chance to try both.

Also, there has to be a good reason you lost that, although I don't know what to say there.

Did it go to sudden death after the second round or just end there?

Ah thanks guys this makes sense!! Yeah this a bit longer then what I wanted (match length). I guess I might try to finish my promos and then quit til next season.

Cause sudden death would make me lose my sanity. I just want it to end as fast as possible even if I lose.

Hearthstone and it's 5-10 minute length ranked matches has spoiled me hard ;(

The Hanzo complaining about the lack of heals is stupid but I'm almost at the point in quick play where I don't give a shit. There's really no other place for me to actually try the other characters that I'll take going into a game with no healer if it means I don't have to play Lucio.
I'm reaching that point as well to be honest.

ramyeon

Well yeah, this makes it fair. It's not rough. I don't know how else you could do it to make things fair.
What do you mean? This doesn't happen. If this was payload then if you both score the same amount of points (You get points for hitting checkpoints) then you go to Sudden Death to decide it. That's the only issue I have with ranked at the moment really - Sudden Death is bullshit, but it's not returning in Season 2 anyway.

Regardless, you won't lose instantly after the second round unless you didn't actually 'win' in the first round.

KarmaCow

Remove sudden death and replace it with stopwatch for payload and 2CP and ranked would be so much more enjoyable.

They're adding time bank to payload maps but IIRC they're just opting for games ending in a tie rather than actually following through with stopwatch fully.

ramyeon

Im assuming he started on defense because on defense you can win the first round but still lose the match.
Ah I see, that's what confused me. I mean there isn't really any winning in the first round if you're on defense. Just stopping them from getting as many points as possible. Only thing I'd count as a win is stopping them from getting any checkpoints, period.

So I guess on their first round the other team got the payload through 2 or so checkpoints, but didn't get the final one. Then they didn't manage to get it to the same point on their turn at Attack.

They're adding time bank to payload maps but IIRC they're just opting for games ending in a tie rather than actually following through with stopwatch fully.
What is Blizzards problem with stopwatch? It seems to be the most popular idea, and 2CP is the worst mode because of how long the matches can be because of time bank. I don't want more time bank and I don't think many others do as well.

Stopwatch seems like the best answer, period.

Like, have they ever even talked about stopwatch?

Honestly I never complain about heals, I've basically memorized where the healthpacks are on every map. Going off to get one also gives me a chance to flank.

Just lost to 4 Reinhardts on Ilos.. I don't undertsnd how stacked teams are able to win, if 4-5 people on their team are one character all you have to do is counter that character.

Satch

Banned
I want the Nihon genji skin and somehow in all my lootboxes i have received four genji skins... And they are all the recolors

What

the only one im missing now is azurite i guess lol

Arrrammis

Yeah, 2-point maps feel a bit broken sometimes with the time back/coin flip system. Yesterday I played a comp match where my team barely capped the second point on Hanamura in overtime, then the other team attacked and steamrolled us- capped the second point with 7ish minutes left on their time bank. But since we had 0 on ours, it immediately went to coin flip. We attacked, and took the point in overtime, and were awarded the win. "Balanced"

ramyeon

Yeah, 2-point maps feel a bit broken sometimes with the time back/coin flip system. Yesterday I played a comp match where my team barely capped the second point on Hanamura in overtime, then the other team attacked and steamrolled us- capped the second point with 7ish minutes left on their time bank. But since we had 0 on ours, it immediately went to coin flip. We attacked, and took the point in overtime, and were awarded the win. "Balanced"
Yeah, this is the biggest issue I have with Sudden Death. In this case it worked in your favour, but it feels so bad to be on the opposite end of that stick.

CoLaN

This first season is probably the worst competitive implementation i've ever seen in a game.

Unfair rules (sudden death is horrible, i have no idea why they even thought about it), huge balance changes during the season, poor matchmaking (i had 2 teams of 2 in the same team against all solo queuers several times).

Im glad its over soon.

patchday

Ah I see, that's what confused me. I mean there isn't really any winning in the first round if you're on defense. Just stopping them from getting as many points as possible. Only thing I'd count as a win is stopping them from getting any checkpoints, period.

So I guess on their first round the other team got the payload through 2 or so checkpoints, but didn't get the final one. Then they didn't manage to get it to the same point on their turn at Attack.

Yeah exactly. I was very confused. While I was on defense (round 1)- I thought we pushed to final checkpoint but it turns out we didnt since we lost when the other team went on Attack and they pushed to the final cp.

I had my mic on and everything too. Although all I've said so far is stupid stuff like, "Hey what character would be best fit-- I am thinking Zarya". Stuff like that

Will give it another go in a bit I think

ramyeon

This first season is probably the worst competitive implementation i've ever seen in a game.

Unfair rules (sudden death is horrible, i have no idea why they even thought about it), huge balance changes during the season, poor matchmaking (i had 2 teams of 2 in the same team against all solo queuers several times).

Im glad its over soon.
Balance changes mid season is going to be an ongoing thing I expect. You may have to get used to that.

NRG choked so hard there. For some reason they it was a good idea to have someone switch to Mei when they had been holding just fine for the last few minutes. Then they switch to Ana in the last minute on offense.

-___-

Anne

If the season is only 3 months long, I'd rather there not be large changes mid season. If something gets really crazy that is an emergency fix it, if not do it between seasons.

Also yeah, season one is pretty shit anyways. There have been a lot of games with worse openings in competitive than this though, it's actually not a disaster which amazes me.

A game with only 22 things to balance(heroes) would be a disaster if balances were every three months. It works for something like, say, Battlefield because at game has soooo many factors that one or two OP things wouldn't be too bad, whereas it would kill the player base of this game if they waited 3 whole months.

Prelude.

Eh, it's ok, everyone will be affected the same way. I'm a fan of these fast updates.
Imagine if we'd still have hero stacking, useless Zen and McCree, no Ana, sofa-sized Hanzo arrows, etc. because season 1 isn't over yet. That would suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom