• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Played comp last night had a dude get upset because we lost the first round of defending kings row. I'll admit I was sandbagging a bit as mei for that round lol. He gets on the mic shit talks all of us saying were trash. Another guy hops on the mic and shit talks him saying you can't judge because of a round. Goes back and forth for awhile, picked up ana for the attack on kings row and just powered up 2nd guy's Reinhardt the entire match lol. He talked even more shit to the first guy saying how trash he was.

We won the game, but I haven't heard a good ass trash talk session like that since what CoD4/MW2 days? Hilarious

I aspire to be you. I placed at 2350, currently in the dregs at 2150. It feels like trying to swim up a waterfall.

Any tips?

It's tough; I dropped down to 2100 before climbing above 2500.

-Warm up with Quick Play before starting Competitive. 2-3 games usually for me, playing heroes that rely on true aiming (McCree)

-Don't be afraid to use a mic. I encountered a lot of people that had mics all game, but didn't use it once till the end to yell at someone. Try to be polite and encouraging and it will help others come out of their shell and communicate. It's also a lot easier to be toxic while typing (for me) than saying it to someone over voice chat, so I'm less likely to yell at someone and be nicer to them on voice.

-Don't Q up immediately after a win or a loss. It's exciting to win and feels great, but I learned that if I won, I expected that to continue to the next game and became toxic if things weren't going well immediately, thereby snowballing the toxic sludge. If I lost, I didn't Q immediately so I could get my mind on something else. Playing QP in between Wins and Losses does a good job of leveling emotion and staying calm.

-With the current standard of 2-2-2, try to focus on 2-3 heroes in each type that you want to be great at. Practice in Quick Play. This way, you'll ideally have a backup hero to switch to when you need a counter, or someone is playing your main.

For me, my hero rotation that I feel very confident with looks like this:

DPS - McCree (if I'm hitting my shots), Soldier, Tracer

Tank - Roadhog, Zarya, DVA

Healer - Lucio, Zenyatta

This lets me be flexible enough to pick something our team needs in most situations, and play heroes that I am confident I can impact the game with. If you aren't comfortable with a hero, say something on the mic. I love to hear people say that they would rather not play that hero and want to play something else, it opens discussion and strategy. I openly admit that I'm awful at Reinhardt and Pharah.

-Read up on the simple nuances of the game that can make you better and therefore impact your team more. I can't find the list that I've seen but small things like...

Playing Roadhog, try to land a shot on a Reaper at full HP before hooking him. This way he'll be less likely to ghost away before the second shot which would kill him. You can also use your heal while in the air; get knocked up by a charging Rein? You're likely too far from something to hook or shoot, use your heal if your life is low and by the time you hit the ground, you'll be able to hook and shoot.

Reinhardt's ultimate can be blocked by an opposing Reinhardt's shield.

Stuff like that.

Karu

"die Server wurden aufgrund eines unerwarteten Fehler geschlossen."

transl.: The server was closed because of an unexpected error.

Sounds like their fault, but dunno, happen twice in a row.... Common thing that's happening or whats the reason for this?

AcAnchoa

Aaaaand I quit comp. I may try to come back for the next one but I've had had it for now. I got below 2000 with the last six games being a terrible experience in all fronts. It also infuriates me, and a lot, that I got a ton more points for winning a game because the entire enemy team left than by actually winning a fair match.

Had some fun games myself last night. Like legit fun, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything.

I've climbed up from 3040 to 3190 at this point. All solo queueing.

Highlight of last night was a match on King's Row.

We attacked, and ended up with a little over 2 minutes left when we hit the last point. We were sloppy though, out teammates were good solo players, but not great for team plays. Little to no synergy.

Enemy team attacks, and we hold them off pretty well, but they end up walking in the payload during overtime.

Round 3, we attack, but things aren't looking good. We're getting a few kills here and there, but we're not actually pushing in when we get them. Somehow we end up getting the cap and I think the round is over. I guess I'm still used to sudden death. So I'm really confused when the enemy team starts barrelling down at us with every Ult they have to knock us off that payload. The payload barely makes it out of the garage.

So then it becomes their turn to attack. I decide to pull out my Bastion, and holy shit does this not go over well. I'm getting comments over mics, and teammates constantly punching at me during our setup. But I figure they've only got a minute to land this, and catching them off guard with a Bastion will probably work out for us.

It does.

I chew through the Roadhog, Pharah, Genji, and Mei before they have any idea what's actually happening. Round ends, we win 4 to 3. Felt good.

LiK

Played comp last night had a dude get upset because we lost the first round of defending kings row. I'll admit I was sandbagging a bit as mei for that round lol. He gets on the mic shit talks all of us saying were trash. Another guy hops on the mic and shit talks him saying you can't judge because of a round. Goes back and forth for awhile, picked up ana for the attack on kings row and just powered up 2nd guy's Reinhardt the entire match lol. He talked even more shit to the first guy saying how trash he was.

We won the game, but I haven't heard a good ass trash talk session like that since what CoD4/MW2 days? Hilarious

i only had to hear that shit once during S1. i was with a group and a friend of someone in our group joined and that guy kept telling us what to do. my group leader told him to stfu and stop telling people what to do cuz he kept yelling at us. we won in the end but it was tense and after that friend of someone left, he told the guy in our group that he will never play with him again cuz he's an asshole. that's usually what i've noticed. friend of people who barely play with the groups are the ones who have the biggest dicks in their mouths.

one time someone's brother joined in our group and was complaining when we were losing and partly blamed me even tho i was doing well and he kept dying. hate to admit it but i deleted those people off my list just because everytime i played with him and his gf (who were cool people and nice to me), his bro would be invited because it's his bro but i didn't like that guy and i don't wanna play with temperamental dicks. it's unfun.

Pachimari

I tried out Zarya for the first time and I really like her toolset, but is it on purpose her shield doesn't last for that long, neither for herself or an ally?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I tried out Zarya for the first time and I really like her toolset, but is it on purpose her shield doesn't last for that long, neither for herself or an ally?

Yup, but it's more for prolonging an ally in the midst of a fight, and shielding for that amount of time or absorbing that amount of damage is crucial in a fray.

Also meant to build your energy where zarya pretty much turns into another DPS herself.

-Warm up with Quick Play before starting Competitive. 2-3 games usually for me, playing heroes that rely on true aiming (McCree)

-Don't Q up immediately after a win or a loss. It's exciting to win and feels great, but I learned that if I won, I expected that to continue to the next game and became toxic if things weren't going well immediately, thereby snowballing the toxic sludge. If I lost, I didn't Q immediately so I could get my mind on something else. Playing QP in between Wins and Losses does a good job of leveling emotion and staying calm.

This is a really good observation. I have a personal rule that I stop playing if I lose two in a row, but that's more of a "tilt prevention" rule. I do tend to get really charged in both wins and losses (which is part of the fun of the game of course) and just playing in QP for a bit with no stakes to let that cool off so I can be levelheaded for the next game is probably a really good idea.

It feels like nothing the first time you play with it.

It feels oppressive when it's in the hands of someone who knows how to time it right.

What do you mean by building her energy? Does it charge her energy for her gun while shielding herself?

Each shield will block up to 200 damage. For each 4 damage you block, you get 1 "energy" on your gun (the number right below your aiming reticle) which represents an additional 1% of damage. Energy decays at 2 units per second.

So if both your personal shield and the ally shield absorb enough damage to where they break (200 HP) before they dissipate naturally (2 seconds), you will do near double damage for a period and just melt the enemy.

Yup, but it's more for prolonging an ally in the midst of a fight, and shielding for that amount of time or absorbing that amount of damage is crucial in a fray.

Also meant to build your energy where zarya pretty much turns into another DPS herself.

Life starts at 90+ energy beam Zarya.

Melt facesssssssss

LiK

yea, once you learn to time the bubbles back and forth between yourself and your teammates, you can literally carry your entire team to victory.

This makes sense. Very nice.

What do you mean by building her energy? Does it charge her energy for her gun while shielding herself?

Every Zarya Bubble has 200hp.

Any damage a Bubble prevents gets converted into Energy for Zarya's weapon. Energy is basically the equivalent to DPS or Damage per second.

A full bubble can transfer at most 50 energy to Zarya.

At zero energy Zarya does about 10 DPS.
At 100 energy Zarya does about 80 DPS.

Bubbles can be used to negate debuffs.

Bubbles absorb all immediate impact damage if the damage is from a single source. This means a 200hp Bubble will absorb all 4000dmg done by a DVa ult. Even if the Bubble has already taken 199dmg.

I hope Torb gets some sort of adjustment so he is viable in comp. I seriously love playing him and the feeling of the chirping headshots from his left click from long range.

Feels so good. Gives me flashbacks to the GOAT Chirp of Killzone 2 MP.

DevilDog

Reflecting mei ults with genji and freezing 3 people in the enemy team.

FeelsGoodMan.

Surprisingly easy to do, you can easily see the little robot coming towards you.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reflecting mei ults with genji and freezing 3 people in the enemy team.

FeelsGoodMan.

Surprisingly easy to do, you can easily see the little robot coming towards you.

She calls her ult out before she throws it.

Even zarya calls it out while she throws her's.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This makes sense. Very nice.

The big thing to get a habit for with Zarya is being reactive, not proactive. Don't shield an enemy before they're turning a corner, do it while they're under fire. If you see a Pharah getting up high to ult, try to watch them to shield when they're a sitting duck. Shield someone while they're being charged by rein, during roadhog's hook, etc.

I think this is a big part of why half of Zarya's health is shields as well. Lets you start taking damage then shield in the middle of it.

Plus there are some free moments to get a big charge. You can actively run into something like Hanzo's dragon or Dva's bomb if the situation fits.

Zarya's bubble for allies is 200hp too? Always heard of it being 400.
No, they're identical. The projected bubble has a shorter cooldown, though (8 seconds instead of 10).

Every 4 points of damage you block gives 1% charge, so the maximum any single shield can give is 50% charge.

The big thing to get a habit for with Zarya is being reactive, not proactive. Don't shield an enemy before they're turning a corner, do it while they're under fire. If you see a Pharah getting up high to ult, try to watch them to shield when they're a sitting duck. Shield someone while they're being charged by rein, during roadhog's hook, etc.

I think this is a big part of why half of Zarya's health is shields as well. Lets you start taking damage then shield in the middle of it.

Plus there are some free moments to get a big charge. You can actively run into something like Hanzo's dragon or Dva's bomb if the situation fits.

I did this yesterday; saved myself and my Mercy from a DVA bomb, got 100 charge, she rezzed everyone else. feelsgoodman

The play of the game was a Bastion killing everybody inside my Graviton as well. #justzaryathings

Pachimari

This is a really good observation. I have a personal rule that I stop playing if I lose two in a row, but that's more of a "tilt prevention" rule. I do tend to get really charged in both wins and losses (which is part of the fun of the game of course) and just playing in QP for a bit with no stakes to let that cool off so I can be levelheaded for the next game is probably a really good idea.

It feels like nothing the first time you play with it.

It feels oppressive when it's in the hands of someone who knows how to time it right.

Each shield will block up to 200 damage. For each 4 damage you block, you get 1 "energy" on your gun (the number right below your aiming reticle) which represents an additional 1% of damage. Energy decays at 2 units per second.

So if both your personal shield and the ally shield absorb enough damage to where they break (200 HP) before they dissipate naturally (2 seconds), you will do near double damage for a period and just melt the enemy.

yea, once you learn to time the bubbles back and forth between yourself and your teammates, you can literally carry your entire team to victory.

Goes from 0 to a 100 under your reticle.

Every Zarya Bubble has 200hp.

Any damage a Bubble prevents gets converted into Energy for Zarya's weapon. Energy is basically the equivalent to DPS or Damage per second.

A full bubble can transfer at most 50 energy to Zarya.

At zero energy Zarya does about 10 DPS.
At 100 energy Zarya does about 80 DPS.

Bubbles can be used to negate debuffs.

Bubbles absorb all immediate impact damage if the damage is from a single source. This means a 200hp Bubble will absorb all 4000dmg done by a DVa ult. Even if the Bubble has already taken 199dmg.

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, all of this sounds SICK. I don't think I have noticed the number underneath her reticle, I only noticed the "ammo" under the gun icon. I'm gonna start it up right away, and try apple these explanations and tips to my style, and see how it all works in practice.

LiK

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, all of this sounds SICK. I don't think I have noticed the number underneath her reticle, I only noticed the "ammo" under the gun icon. I'm gonna start it up right away, and try apple these explanations and tips to my style, and see how it all works in practice.

once you master Zarya, you will be the most beloved person in your team. she's one of the best heroes, period.

h0tp0ck3t

Damn now I feel like an idiot for trying to unload on it like I do for Reinhardt

Be careful with Hanzo's dragon, though, because it does damage over time, and that's not good for Zarya barriers. It's why they work less well against, e.g., Bastion or a Pharah ult. You can strafe in and out of the dragon with a barrier up, but don't just stand in it.

The things you should run toward if you're not on cooldown are fire strikes, Symmetra orbs, rip-tires, D.Va ults, any other big, instant damage. Tap shift, walk into them, free charge.

once you master Zarya, you will be the most beloved person in your team. she's one of the best heroes, period.

That said, she seems to rely on Synergy pretty heavily compared to other classes. You typically need flankers to really use your ally bubble and get energy off of it. But flankers that stay close enough to bubble, but far enough that they're getting shot at. Your Ult is basically worthless solo. You want at least 2 other teammates firing into it.

When they announced her playstyle I immediately fell in love.

She's probably my favorite hero to play. I love love love the tank / gradual DPS increase archetype, and being able to keep multiple heroes alive through the bubbles..

I held a push in overtime for like 4 minutes last night at 90+ charge on Zarya. It was just a constant stream of laser beam and bubbles as we pushed forward.

That said, she seems to rely on Synergy pretty heavily compared to other classes. You typically need flankers to really use your ally bubble and get energy off of it. But flankers that stay close enough to bubble, but far enough that they're getting shot at. Your Ult is basically worthless solo. You want at least 2 other teammates firing into it.

Yeah if people wise up and keep Zarya at mid range and refuse to attack her shielded targets, she's got pitiful damage output. But, you make them hit you or you just push the objective. It's been rare that I've been kited well enough that I've been useless in a match.

The most Zarya ults I've eaten in a game while playing D.VA has been 3. I wish that was a card. Felt bad for Z.

A good Zarya will melt your mech first then ult :p

Also! Zarya's normal weapon fire goes through D.Va's Defense Matrix. Alt does not. PSA.

More Zarya stuff:

Really good spots to use your projected barrier:

1. On anyone who is about to die, but might survive if they had 200 temporary health. This includes people supports being flanked and anyone being hooked by Roadhog. (You will know who is about to die if you turn Allied Health Bars turned on globally.)
2. On anyone who is ulting, especially Pharah, McCree, Reaper, Genji, or any other relatively squishy hero who needs help living through their ult.
3. On anyone doing something aggressive that will draw immediate fire: Winston or D.Va leaping into a pack of enemies, Roadhog hooking someone, Reinhardt charging, Reaper walking behind a Reinhardt shield.
4. On anyone with a Discord orb on them, or who is standing in a trap, or has been slept, or is in some other way vulnerable right now.
5. If none of the above apply, you can put it on a shielding Reinhardt and gain charge provided they're firing at the middle of the shield. This is a good way of getting a trickle of charge against smarter teams.

Also, barriers can help you and/or a friendly escape Mei's left-click or her ult by temporarily shedding her CC. If you time it right, you can get very nearly frozen and then barrier, which gives you the maximum amount of time to keep your beam on her.

The most Zarya ults I've eaten in a game while playing D.VA has been 3. I wish that was a card. Felt bad for Z.
Yeah, DO NOT use her ultimate while D.Va is still in her mech unless she's not in the area. Not only can she eat it, she can also mitigate it with Defense Matrix even if she does get caught. Avoid using it while Rein or Winston have shields available (unless you know you have smart DPS, preferably Reaper, in the immediate vicinity). And be careful using it around Genji, because he can Deflect it ... and he can Swift Strike out of it anyway.

Several other heroes can escape it (including Mercy, but luckily most Mercy players don't seem to realize this), and Zen/Lucio ults pretty much negate it, but at least you'll have baited out those ults.

Nazo

Trying to play Roadhog with his broken ass hook is just depressing. I can work around it pretty effectively but man is it not fun...

Edit: I just hooked a jumping Genji that was like two meters from me and all it did was bring him down to ground level. He didn't even budge and inch towards me at all.

GG Blizz.

Strider

Roadhog hook is in a state where it sucks going against a Roadhog because the hitbox is so big but it kinda sucks playing him too because it feels so wonky... Players pulled at weird angles, etc.

The changes they made to the hook recently made playing Roadhog less fun to me and he's one of my favorites along with Junkrat.

R0ckman

Anyone comping tonight on PC? Would like to see if I can get to Platinum today. I'm not solo queuing anymore, it seems to have gotten worse as the season moves on.

What's supposed to be the MMR range restriciton?

I ask because I'm about 600 SR above my wife, but we played a comp game last night with out any issues. (On PSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom