• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

Just did my first 2 placement matches and man competitive is an absolute mixed bag like last season.

First game I had Symmetra on my team. On attack... I would consider it a 5v6 normally with a Symettra on my team unless it was their main because of how weak she is. She didn't drop a single teleporter. It's Hollywood and we only manage to push the payload to before the 1st checkpoint.

On defence, we actually manage to hold them off on the capture point until overtime where I finally die because there's no healers on my team and I just can't get to a health pack on time for the 15th time in a row. And then I see 4 other team members die in quick succession. The other team manages to push the payload to the designated distance in overtime. So annoyed by that. If we just had a below average healer instead of the brain dead Symmetra on our team, we would've steamrolled that team with ease.

Then the next game on Route 66 on attack, I see Mercy and Zenyatta picked and I know straight away we're gonna have a really good chance here. We basically steamroll the opposition. Set an incredibly fast time and I go 23-4 with Reaper just on the attack segment. Manage to hold them before the first checkpoint and ended up with a win.

There's no point of me even playing Zenyatta (my best healer) with teams like my first placement game as I'd get no protection whatsoever and we didn't really have much DPS aside from me.

I can already feel this is going to be an extremely frustrating season. Maybe season 3 will be better when I can actually do placements with fellow gaffers :(

This sounds exactly like my solo que experience. It's like eating at a restaurant and never knowing which meal you are going to get. Are you going to get the stuff that came out of the grease trap and gives you bowel problems throughout the night or are you going to get the fine dining experience that leaves you completely fulfilled at the end? This is what solo que Overwatch has become for me. 1 game is fantastic and the next game is a parody of the Bad News Bears, Overwatch edition.

Lucio is literally the easiest class to play in the game and be competent

Lastly, me and my friend just queud as double tanks because he mains Roadhog and we silvered and folded in literally every stat :/

Eh, I don't think I agree with that assessment. You would be surprised at the number of Lucio's who don't know that they have to keep line of sight for the aura to work or how to wall ride to avoid danger.

I've seen bad Lucios. Had this one dumbass who chased an enemy past the objective to the right going towards their spawn when we were in attack on hollywood.

Hehe, yep, this. Lucio's who player flanker are not really what you want unless your team is vastly superior to the other team.

Pachimari

I'm going through all of the shorts and cinematic trailers and I knew they are superbly done as I have seen most of them before, although I hadn't paid attention to Reaper turning to the dark side and recruiting Widowmaker, and it came as a shock to learn Genji is Hanzo's brother. I got a question or two though. Were Roadhog and Junkrat former Overwatch heroes and now criminals, or is it the other way around? And I see robots are now living equally together with humans, and I assume those seen in the Alive short (or at least the one giving the speech) is from the same monastery as Zenyatta? Also are Reaper and Widowmaker working for the Omnics?

I can't believe how Overwatch was my most anticipated game, and then I didn't want to play it much through the beta, and then only recently really jumping in, and it's damn well my favorite game of the year, and surely the best shooter I have played since Rainbow Six 3 and Call of Duty 2. I'm in love.

Today I played for the first time in months (been away traveling). The game is still so much fun, and I'm enjoying the new map too. Just did my placement matches and I'm still doing pretty good. Won 7 matches, lost 2 and had 1 draw. One loss was super close, and in the other half my team left, which always sucks. I wish Blizz would re-work how that mechanic works. When half the team leaves, you're pretty much fucked. The draw was on Anubis; that point B is ridiculous. Neither team could get it.

My stats online haven't been updated yet so I can't check how I compare to others :x

Pachimari

some Roadhogs need to use the shoot, hook, melee combo to finish you off.
This makes sense. What a combo. I can't even remember if everyone has a melee, but I assume Roadhog is the only one with a melee besides Genji, although I haven't played all heroes yet.

Also I got to lvl 16 today which I am happy about but it'll take me a little while to get to lvl 25. I'll be playing Overwatch all day tomorrow.

NeoRaider

tumblr_obvb363ksJ1sn4eavo3_500.png

Omg. XD

Tovarisc

Playing with 4stack that clearly doesn't have coms, clearly don't understand each others playstyles, running around the map like headless chickens and doing absolutely nothing together that would be team push.

Premade stacks like this makes me facepalm, but then not that different from most experiences with full PUG team.

BTW I'm not sure if anyone has mention this but since the Origins Edition is also $50 on PC (Through Battle.net)

I found out that If you own the regular edition of Overwatch on PC, this weekend you can upgrade to the Origins Edition for $10.

I'm going through all of the shorts and cinematic trailers and I knew they are superbly done as I have seen most of them before, although I hadn't paid attention to Reaper turning to the dark side and recruiting Widowmaker, and it came as a shock to learn Genji is Hanzo's brother. I got a question or two though. Were Roadhog and Junkrat former Overwatch heroes and now criminals, or is it the other way around? And I see robots are now living equally together with humans, and I assume those seen in the Alive short (or at least the one giving the speech) is from the same monastery as Zenyatta? Also are Reaper and Widowmaker working for the Omnics?

I can't believe how Overwatch was my most anticipated game, and then I didn't want to play it much through the beta, and then only recently really jumping in, and it's damn well my favorite game of the year, and surely the best shooter I have played since Rainbow Six 3 and Call of Duty 2. I'm in love.
Hog and Junk aren't OW heroes and never have been. They are just criminals.

Also, Reaper and Widow are against the omnics lol. You couldn't tell when Widow sniped that Omnic in the short?

ekim

imageazuku.jpeg

Almost plat now. It's so fun to tear down tanks with Zen. Especially Zarya. Pro-Tip: tell your team who you just discorded. It helped a lot the last games.

Pachimari

Neither, I believe. I think they're just random criminals. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Hog and Junk aren't OW heroes and never have been. They are just criminals.

Also, Reaper and Widow are against the omnics lol. You couldn't tell when Widow sniped that Omnic in the short?
Ahh wait, the Omnics are the robots? So the Omnics are peaceful machines. I thought they were bad guys.

And yeah I saw Roadhog and Junkrat as pure criminals too, but then when they are talking about the Overwatch initiative, artwork is shown with the heroes, and reaper and Widowmaker and the junkies. But I guess that was more an "Overwatch game" thing than story related.

duckroll

I don't think Talon is against Omnics so much as having an interest in chaos. Killing a great leader and making him a martyr doesn't really hurt the Omnic cause. But it does create more uncertainty and hurt the world's stability, allowing them to operate better in the shadows.

Shouta

Man, I totally didn't realize you could change the orientation of Mei's Ice Wall. It makes it so much easier to fuck with doorways now, lol.

Pachimari

Who is Talon? The big bad guy? I don't think I have seen him in any of the shorts. But I'm gonna read all of the character bios next, so maybe he's mentioned in there?

ViviOggi

BTW I'm not sure if anyone has mention this but since the Origins Edition is also $50 on PC (Through Battle.net)

I found out that If you own the regular edition of Overwatch on PC, this weekend you can upgrade to the Origins Edition for $10.

Cheers just did this

I'm such a sucker

ekim

Man, I totally didn't realize you could change the orientation of Mei's Ice Wall. It makes it so much easier to fuck with doorways now, lol.

I blew the mind of a friend a few days ago when I told him that Mei can also destroy her wall if needed.

Ahh wait, the Omnics are the robots? So the Omnics are peaceful machines. I thought they were bad guys.

And yeah I saw Roadhog and Junkrat as pure criminals too, but then when they are talking about the Overwatch initiative, artwork is shown with the heroes, and reaper and Widowmaker and the junkies. But I guess that was more an "Overwatch game" thing than story related.
The omnics were the bad guys in the start of the story with the omnics crisis. Those omnics were called "Bastions" and there is a hero based on them(Bastion).

Now, omnics are peace loving robots, but a lot of people don't trust them because of the Omnic crisis.

Who is Talon? The big bad guy? I don't think I have seen him in any of the shorts. But I'm gonna read all of the character bios next, so maybe he's mentioned in there?
Talon is not a person, it's a group. Reaper, Widow, Junk, and Hog are the current OW heroes that are in this group. This group was originally called Blackwatch, but when OW disbanded, they changed to Talon.

Basically when OW was a thing, they created chaos, and they still do this as Talon.

KiraFA37

Where can you do this? I can only find the full priced edition.

matmanx1

This makes sense. What a combo. I can't even remember if everyone has a melee, but I assume Roadhog is the only one with a melee besides Genji, although I haven't played all heroes yet.

Also I got to lvl 16 today which I am happy about but it'll take me a little while to get to lvl 25. I'll be playing Overwatch all day tomorrow.

All heroes have melee abilities and a melee hit does 30 damage to the enemy. It's a great way to finish someone off or add additional damage if you are in close with someone. For certain characters (Roadhog and Genji specifically) they have legitimate combos that use their normal melee strike as part of the combo.

When I was a new player one of the things that took me the longest to remember was the fact that my character had a melee and could punch or kick (Zenyatta's kick looks hilarious) someone. Don't neglect that melee, especially when you are reloading or strafing up close to someone lining up that next shot.

Jellie

3 stack should be doable. And there's so few playing in that range that you pretty much get put against groups regardless.

Yeah 3 stack is ok if we have one healer, one tank and one DPS. I'm just worried that it matches us with another 3 against a 6 man or something similar.
There's a lot of people who are below what they should be which leads to stuff like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TsCp6GcGnw
The enemy's team average was like 3350 I think.

ekim

All heroes have melee abilities and a melee hit does 30 damage to the enemy. It's a great way to finish someone off or add additional damage if you are in close with someone. For certain characters (Roadhog and Genji specifically) they have legitimate combos that use their normal melee strike as part of the combo.

When I was a new player one of the things that took me the longest to remember was the fact that my character had a melee and could punch or kick (Zenyatta's kick looks hilarious) someone. Don't neglect that melee, especially when you are reloading or strafing up close to someone lining up that next shot.

Reinhardt has nothing on the melee button tho. :p

So I'm reading up on the changes to competitive, and just to confirm, besides Master and Grandmaster, I can't fall down to a tier than one I've reached, right? And also, are there other end of season rewards besides competitive points?

duckroll

The omnics were the bad guys in the start of the story with the omnics crisis. Those omnics were called "Bastions" and there is a hero based on them(Bastion).

Now, omnics are peace loving robots, but a lot of people don't trust them because of the Omnic crisis.

The omnics were never the "bad guys" though. More like the canon fodder. It's pretty clear that there were forces at work behind the Omnic Crisis, which we'll learn more about as time goes by. I bet the big corps know what really went down. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them, including Vishkar, rose out from Omnica after it was shut down, and the crisis was a fail safe used to turn the world against a "common foe" so they could get back into the game.

ksan

What exactly did change? I got worse with him. :-/

unless you relied on randomness its just you having bad games, because its just recoil resetting faster now

edit: oh shit maybe i was wrong
Heavy Pulse Rifle

Bullet spread now happens more quickly when unloading fully-automatic pulse fire
Significantly Increased bullet spread recovery time
apparently soldier got buffed if youre used to burst firing, if youre full autoing it might be worse, or am i understanding it wrong?

exYle

Talon is not a person, it's a group. Reaper, Widow, Junk, and Hog are the current OW heroes that are in this group. This group was originally called Blackwatch, but when OW disbanded, they changed to Talon.

Basically when OW was a thing, they created chaos, and they still do this as Talon.

Just Reaper and Widow. Junkrat and Roadhog are unaffiliated.

Yeah 3 stack is ok if we have one healer, one tank and one DPS. I'm just worried that it matches us with another 3 against a 6 man or something similar.
There's a lot of people who are below what they should be which leads to stuff like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TsCp6GcGnw
The enemy's team average was like 3350 I think.
I'm to the point where I literally have to tell people that I can do anything except Lucio or Mercy. I probably sound like an ass, but I'm completely useless with them. Happy to play Zen though.

Chance

Unfortunately, PS4 players can't communicate anything with each other because of the extremely shit chat wheel. The only thing you can say is "we need a healer" but it always falls on deaf ears.

I'll do another placement and if I lose again, I'm gonna try to group up even if it means facing platinum/diamond players.

Wednesday, I'm on comp on PS4, as Zen, 2/2/2. Goes great on attack, but for defense I wonder if I should switch to DPS, so I call out the Lucio by name and ask if he can hear me.

"Understood," he emotes.

I ask if he thinks I should stick with Zen or go DPS.

"I need healing!"

I tell him okay and stick with Zen.

"Thank you!"

It was frickin' brilliant. We won.

ekim

unless you relied on randomness its just you having bad games, because its just recoil resetting faster now

apparently soldier got buffed if youre used to burst firing, if youre full autoing it might be worse, or am i understanding it wrong?

Reads like the shots spread more quickly but recovers faster. So basically 3 shot burst, wait, 3 shot burst? Could explain why I'm bad at taking down Pharah this season.

Edit: but I totally got how to destroy Pharahs with Zen.

No, this is basically right. It rewards burst firing and watching your reticle now, punishes full auto and macro users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom