• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually one thing i found really annoying recently is that yes, i can stop them from going all the way most times as mei. Problem is that we're so shit as a team that we can't go that far either. Pretty much why i get as many draws as i do.

:<

Maybe i should start gitting gud as a dps because there's only so much i can do as support.

Actually one thing i found really annoying recently is that yes, i can stop them from going all the way most times as mei. Problem is that we're so shit as a team that we can't go that far either.

:<

Maybe i should start gitting gud as a dps because there's only so much i can do as support.

I rarely play support now. I can't trust anyone but myself to kill things.

Actually, I've just gotten sick of playing support.

Antiwhippy

I rarely play support now. I can't trust anyone but myself to kill things.

Actually, I've just gotten sick of playing support.

I actually like playing support though.

It's just that yeah.

Can't trust a lot of the people who instalock dps to actually know how to kill shit. I don't trust myself much either, which is why i don't instalock dps.

Redmoon

So I think I found a bug if anyone wants to confirm. If you enable "Headshot only" when making a custom game, you cant kill Torb's turret, or Bastion in turret mode. At least I couldnt with widow/76. Wonder if Symmetra's TP and Sentry turrets have the same bug since they dont have heads to, you know, headshot.

Skii

I've actually found Genji to still be very reliable. With Zarya, you just have to keep your distance and pepper her and let your teammates finish her off. He is still fairly viable.

I actually consider Genji as one of my "carry" heroes. Him, Zarya, and Roadhog. Maybe Zen. Although hog hasn't been used by me much because of how bad they broke the hook. So it's mostly been Genji and Zarya for me.

But as soon as they fix that hook, I'm going all in.

But that's the same as Winston now. You can't directly engage with the 2 most popular/competitive tanks in the game or you'll be destroyed.

I can only carry with Reaper now and maybe Zenyatta. Maybe I'll adjust to Genji in this meta but now you have the combo nerf, triple jump nerf, dash nerf, dragonblade nerf and a new hard counter. It's just a lot to deal with lol.

So I think I found a bug if anyone wants to confirm. If you enable "Headshot only" when making a custom game, you cant kill Torb's turret, or Bastion in turret mode. At least I couldnt with widow/76. Wonder if Symmetra's TP and Sentry turrets have the same bug since they dont have heads to, you know, headshot.

You can headshot Bastion if you get behind him, but otherwise, yeah he would be pretty broken. Fortunately, the game isn't balanced around headshots only.

Negaiido

This game needs a votekick option, you'd think if you play around 3:25 at night the kids are in bed but my games have been horrible.
People griefing, swearing etc, it's worse than the CSGO/LOL community.
The report options are also not really useful, how would you report someone that is griefing.

This game needs a votekick option, you'd think if you play around 3:25 at night the kids are in bed but my games have been horrible.
People griefing, swearing etc, it's worse than the CSGO/LOL community.

Probably not ever going to happen. The enemy team would have no reason to want anyone on your team to stay in the game, and people could way too easily troll with stuff like that. the game has a report option for people who act like dicks.

I was just playing another game a few days ago where I got kicked from a public lobby for no reason at all other than I was new, and I just closed the game right there because fuck that bullshit.

Negaiido

Probably not ever going to happen. The enemy team would have no reason to want anyone on your team to stay in the game, and people could way too easily troll with stuff like that. the game has a report option for people who act like dicks.

I was just playing another game a few days ago where I got kicked from a public lobby for no reason at all other than I was new, and I just closed the game right there because fuck that bullshit.

It's about kicking your own teammates, not your enemy team. CSGO has it and I'm sure other MP games have it as well.

On the sidenote, anyone from EU want to queue up in the future?
Here's my Battlenet ID Negaiido#2364

It's about kicking your own teammates, not your enemy team. CSGO has it and I'm sure other MP games have it as well.

There are only 5 other players on a team, so I could see that getting abused really easily.

Plus Blizzard has been pretty clear they want everyone to feel good about themselves regardless of how they play, so I don't see them implementing something like that with Overwatch.

Negaiido

There are only 5 other players on a team, so I could see that getting abused really easily.

Plus Blizzard has been pretty clear they want everyone to feel good about themselves regardless of how they play, so I don't see them implementing something like that with Overwatch.

I don't see why people would abuse it, I haven't seen a lot of abuse in CSGO.

So you don't want to get rid of them in a game nor give them a votekick option.
I don't know what Blizzard does with the report option but I'd imagine that the community will only get worse unfortunately.

Maybe it's just because I'm pretty laid back and don't care about how my teammates play, but I just don't see the reason for it. Not in this game anyway.

DevilDog

Not with D.Va. They usually run, especially after you bowl into them and bonk them on the head. If not they go down fairly quickly (there have been notable exceptions- her headshot hitbox is HUGE).

Hanzo is an excellent counter to D.va. His scattershot can easily one shot her mech.
I can see her killing him outside the mech though.

Antiwhippy

Hanzo is an excellent counter to D.va. His scattershot can easily one shot her mech.
I can see her killing him outside the mech though.

It is mathematically impossible for him to one shot her mech.

If anything she's the one that deals with his toolkit the easiest.

Jarate

Banned
well gotdamn... spill the tea! How? Who did you play? Solo q? OMG!

1) Be really good at 3 classes and focus on playing those classes for like a few weeks.
2) Make sure you have a DPS, a Tank, and a healer
These are the "easy to master" classes imo (easy to be able to carry with)
1. Zarya
2. Roadhog
3. Reaper
4. Pharah
5. Zenyatta
7. Tracer

If you are good enough to carry with one of these classes, then you should practice with these classes. You should learn two healer classes as well as a lot of people default to Zenyatta. Lucio, Mercy, and Ana all take a shit ton of skill to play at a pace where you can carry.
3) When you're playing "off", dont keep playing comp. You should go to quick play and practice other heroes. This is always fun to me as I can excuse my team winning because it's partly my problem we're loosing. Use this info though. learn how they should approach as your class, learn how far they move up on you or how they try to bait you etc. Learn the places they go to on maps. A lot of times you can be somewhat "efficient" at a character merely by playing gimmicky since you'll be surprised at experiencing a strat you havent seen, and with such a huge playerbase, you wont meet the same amount of people
4) Develop your own gimmicks. If you have a gimmicky character you can throw out occasionally, this can really help in a pinch. But I notice is that the more you do that gimmick the less reliable you get. It can only last a little bit in the meta. People learn that gimmick, and you're left with a bad core.
5) You're focus should always be that you want to carry as hard as possible. The thing you hvae to learn is that if you consistently carry you have a much higher chance of winning. It's the inevitable fact of competitive. If you can't carry, you aren't going to win as much since relying on your teammates to be competent is a mixed bag. If your team loses and you know you didn't carry, then get upset at yourself for not carrying. Yes this is annoying as fuck to do because even when you do carry, your team may still lose, but it's invevitably the most efficient way too play unless you have a dedicated team to play.
6) Learn to communicate with your team. When things are going bad, use the "Group up emote" and it's surprising how often it works in comp. And dont be afraid of spamming that after a failed push. If you're teammates aren't willing to group up, then they are generally going to lose their battles. Only 1 healer? Spam the "I need healing emote" worst comes to worse, they just ignore you, which is what they are doing anyway. It's worth adding to your game if you play solo queue. I always joke about this, but I always try to get their attention during setup. I'll go stare at them, maybe emote or spam voice lines, or maybe say hi. This builds trust with your teammates, and once again, if this doesnt help then it really doesnt do anything. But if Romance of the Three Kingdoms has taught me anything, is that morale is important to a battle.
7) Sit closer to whatever screen you are on. There's a lot of things that are really hard to see far away, you can really tell the game was designed to be played on a computer monitor. Get into a proper position too, no leaning back while playing
8) Learn the meta. YOU NEED 2 HEALERS. IT IS NEEDED AGAINST COMPETENT TEAMS. I prefer 2 tanks and 2 DPS on my team, but you can roll with 1 tank and 3 dps, and you might be able to roll with a Lucio or Mercy as your only healer if they are absolutely incredible at the class. If you solo queue, you can really only count on only 1 other person on your team willing to play healer/tank, so be aware that you're probably gonna be playing a lot of tank. But try to stick with the meta. Don't test out your wacky class comps in Competitive.
9) yes, you'll run into bad teammates, but that does not absolve you from the guilt of the loss since games can come down to very critical team wipes. Team wipes are super important. Coordinate your alts, figure out when others have ults by checking to see if they have a shiny checkbox under their portrait. Use the "ult status emote" when playing solo to see if someone wants your ult to work with theirs. A lot of ults in the game work well with other ults.

Learn how to use your alts really well. Think about it like this, In football everyone focuses on having a good defense and a good offense, but what's also important is the special teams. Yours ults are your special teams, and being good with them is key. Do not feel like you have to use your ult. Only use it when the time is right. Yeah, sometimes you'll miss, so dont get too worriedl but if you're playing a class that can really change battles around, try to save your ult, as a wasted ult wastes a lot of time. You'll learn to be more efficient with them later

Ive been thinking about making video tutorials on how to play classes, but im not sure if I'll have the time. Is there any character you guys want to learn how to play. Im fairly comfortable playing anything nowadays except for certain classes in non comp matches

Negaiido

Maybe it's just because I'm pretty laid back and don't care about how my teammates play, but I just don't see the reason for it. Not in this game anyway.

It's not about how people play as I don't care about that either. I would never kick anyone based on that nor do I act salty/toxic to anyone.
I'm more on the people that go afk or stay in spawn and do nothing but complain about other people.

It's not about how people play as I don't care about that either. I would never kick anyone based on that nor do I act salty/toxic to anyone.
I'm more on the people that go afk or stay in spawn and do nothing but complain about other people.

The game automatically kicks you for being afk for 45 seconds.

DevilDog

What? Unelss hanzo fucks up and D.va absorbs his scatter, her mech is next to useless against a good hanzo. Even if the scatter leaves some of her health, she has such a huge headshot hitbox and she would be so close to him it would be impossible to miss.

What? Unelss hanzo fucks up and D.va absorbs his scatter, her mech is next to useless against a good hanzo. Even if the scatter leaves some of her health, she has such a huge headshot hitbox and she would be so close to him it would be impossible to miss.

If D.Va is even remotely competent she will wreck Hanzo in a 1v1.

Antiwhippy

I mean that's the thing about hnazo. He can do big damage with his arrows, but by the time he fully draws 2 charged arrows he's dead. He doesn't do sustained, reliable DPS which is why even with the buffs you won't see him replacing the DPS spot for every team.

I mean theoratically you can kill every tank barring roadhog in 2 and a half fully charged arrows (because armour makes sure that you won't 2 shot them) but the thing is they can kill you back even quicker.

Jarate

Banned
Hanzo is like any good sniper in a video game, it's reliable when you catch people offguard with it, but it's pretty easy to counter. Ultimately, Im glad that's the case because Snipers should never be broken in a game like this

Hanzo is like any good sniper in a video game, it's reliable when you catch people offguard with it, but it's pretty easy to counter. Ultimately, Im glad that's the case because Snipers should never be broken in a game like this

Console body shot widow with the short cool down on grapple was NUTS.

Widow used to be pretty broken on PC.

Jarate

Banned
Widow used to be pretty broken on PC.

Key word for used to, and there's a reason why they arent buffing her back. Snipers are super hard to balance in these types of games, because there's a very very slim middle ground between being overpowered and terrible, and i'd rather a sniper class be useless any day of the week rather then broken.

mellow

I finally spent my credits, got Lucio's golden weapon despite me kinda thinking it'd suck and I do regret it since it's barely an upgrade over the Hippity Hop skin. Probably the most underwhelming after Zenyatta's. Need another 100 or so wins before I can get another this season. I hope we get other rewards to spend credits on after S2 though.

DevilDog

I mean that's the thing about hnazo. He can do big damage with his arrows, but by the time he fully draws 2 charged arrows he's dead. He doesn't do sustained, reliable DPS which is why even with the buffs you won't see him replacing the DPS spot for every team.

I mean theoratically you can kill every tank barring roadhog in 2 and a half fully charged arrows (because armour makes sure that you won't 2 shot them) but the thing is they can kill you back even quicker.

Wait, so lets say D.va is charging Hanzo, hanzo sees her and has an opportunity to hit her, even if she absorbs it, she has to fire at him at some point. All that time, hanzo is backing up, doing mid air jumps to charge his arrow, he hits her with the scatter and then once more and its over. There isn't enough time for D.va to kill him.

Out of her mech though is a different story, but then hanzo should escape.

Unless she absorbs the scatter I don't see her winning, ever.

Jarate

Banned
I finally spent my credits, got Lucio's golden weapon despite me kinda thinking it'd suck and I do regret it since it's barely an upgrade over the Hippity Hop skin. Probably the most underwhelming after Zenyatta's. Need another 100 or so wins before I can get another this season. I hope we get other rewards to spend credits on after S2 though.

My favorite ones are Zaryas, Soldier 76's, Reinhardt, Genjis and Tracers the most.

But that's the same as Winston now. You can't directly engage with the 2 most popular/competitive tanks in the game or you'll be destroyed.

I can only carry with Reaper now and maybe Zenyatta. Maybe I'll adjust to Genji in this meta but now you have the combo nerf, triple jump nerf, dash nerf, dragonblade nerf and a new hard counter. It's just a lot to deal with lol.
Yeah, but not every game is going to have both. People haven't figured that out yet :p

Also, people don't pick Winston often in general(aka pubs), so that counter doesn't hurt him much.

I actually think Genji is ok against Zarya. He can still distract her and allow his teammates to take her out. Or he can shoot her out of her range as he has no drop off on his weapon.

I can understand where you're coming from and the rise of Zarya has definitely hurt him, but if you can adapt to the new meta, Genji can still deal massive damage.

Jarate

Banned
Wait, so lets say D.va is charging Hanzo, hanzo sees her and has an opportunity to hit her, even if she absorbs it, she has to fire at him at some point. All that time, hanzo is backing up, doing mid air jumps to charge his arrow, he hits her with the scatter and then once more and its over. There isn't enough time for D.va to kill him.

This is assuming that the D.Va notices you. In a 1 on 1 confrontation, a hanzo will get annihilated most times because D. Va is going to have a super easy time getting in and not dying. You can't say the same thing for other classes that they have an advantage versus you in a matchup. Do not think of matchups in that way. Almost any class can beat any other class in a 1v1 battle when you catch them off guard, it's not a good way to judge a characters effectiveness because eventually you'll play people who dont get caught offguard, and then what do you do?

She'll absorb the scatter like 99.9% of the time. Flying up to Hanzo damages him, and then she should be using a melee attack right after that. Then she'll probably kill him before he has a chance to do any meaningful damage.

So many things have to go wrong for D.Va to lose.

You're assuming Hanzo has scatter arrow in every Dva encounter. A good Hanzo will use his scatter as soon as he sees a good opportunity, so that he can reach maximum effectiveness with it. He's not always gonna have that for Dva.

As Hanzo(and I consider myself to be a solid Hanzo), I never feel like I have the advantage over Dva. I may get a scatter off if I have it, but I'll be dead before I get anything else off.

Antiwhippy

You're really underestimating how much damage DVa does up close. She does a shit ton. And she can approach him the safest out of all the tanks. She can damage him on approach.

Kito

Duo groups should not be allowed to pick healer. Too many times the healer pockets their shit dps friend and makes it 4v6 for everyone else. Had a Mercy pocket and single rez her McCree friend with his 11/11 K/D and 25% win percentage.

At least in tri groups Mercy would be inclined to heal more than one person.

Jarate

Banned
Carrying is the most important skill you can have in Overwatch. If you are unable to carry anymore with your 3 classes then you have to get better. There are many ways to practice or learn the meta, but always look to improve yourself. Every little advantage helps. If you get to a stage where you can't carry, you should theotretically win 50% of your matches since it's RNG of what your teammates are and if theyre gonna carry. In fact it's less, because we are assuming that you aren't carrying and thus your placement should stay in a similar spot. If you are able to carry you should theoretically not carry anymore.

Carrying is the most important skill you can have in Overwatch. If you are unable to carry anymore with your 3 classes then you have to get better. There are many ways to practice or learn the meta, but always look to improve yourself. Every little advantage helps. If you get to a stage where you can't carry, you should theotretically win 50% of your matches since it's RNG of what your teammates are and if theyre gonna carry. In fact it's less, because we are assuming that you aren't carrying and thus your placement should stay in a similar spot. If you are able to carry you should theoretically not carry anymore.

Yep. You just gotta keep improving to outdo half the other team and you'll make it in time.

Omg, made it to 2330 after a win streak. Tomorrow I may go for 2400 but I don't want to go on tilt tonight.

Duo groups should not be allowed to pick healer. Too many times the healer pockets their shit dps friend and makes it 4v6 for everyone else. Had a Mercy pocket and single rez her McCree friend with his 11/11 K/D and 25% win percentage.

At least in tri groups Mercy would be inclined to heal more than one person.

It's not uncommon for healers to pocket a tank they don't even know, much like Medics in TF2 pocketing the 1 Heavy on the team.

Also, I've never seen someone do that in competitive. That's a surefire way to make sure your team loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom