• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

I was a 68 two days ago now I'm a 49. Back into the solo que because this train has no rails and never stops.

dang, know that feel bro. Went from 57 to 47, and then just stopped playing comp for a few weeks until recently, now back up to 51 and starting my slow af ascent... it's been a battle, because teams in the low 50's rely on Mercy heavily w/ no Lucio or Zenny in sight... except for on the enemy team! -__-

I think I'll play 22 matches of QP and just go down the list one character per game until I'm done. Sounds like something to do while the game is in a bit of a transition phase.

S1 doesn't have much more to offer me, I want new maps and Sombra
and Doomfist

The goal now is to have a much more diverse character pool to choose from when S2 starts.

Blues1990

I think I'll play 22 matches of QP and just go down the list one character per game until I'm done. Sounds like something to do while the game is in a bit of a transition phase.

S1 doesn't have much more to offer me, I want new maps and Sombra
and Doomfist

The goal now is to have a much more diverse character pool to choose from when S2 starts.

For me, I'm working towards the goal of unlocking Zarya's Gold Gun, but that is a slow burn for me. I'm a third of the way to unlock it, so hopefully it won't take that much longer.

ohkay

Jesus fucking Christ. How is it possible that at level 63 people understand basic team play and composition but when I play with level 58's it's just a bunch of fucking retards running around like headless chickens, payload optional? I'm 62, please make me the lowest level in the game, not the highest.

God damn, I'm done for the night.
I've had this happen multiple times in the 60s too >_>

Jesus fucking Christ. How is it possible that at level 63 people understand basic team play and composition but when I play with level 58's it's just a bunch of fucking retards running around like headless chickens, payload optional? I'm 62, please make me the lowest level in the game, not the highest.

God damn, I'm done for the night.

Dude this never stops. When you get super high level it turns into "I don't care about team comp" to "I'm playing this character regardless of what the team comp is because I'm so 1337 I'm rank 70" shit like that.

Copenap

wow competitive sure is rough state just like I tohught. Doesnt make much sense.

it was escourt but you have to play attack AND defend? Makes matches twice as long.

We won first 'round' but then because we lost 2nd round we lost the entire thing

Bizzare!!! just felt really bad I dont think I can do this lol. I'm sure Ranked will be great next season but this just felt broken and long winded too. Twice as long as normal matches and all this work for some golden guns and sprays? Come on now we can improve this

-=--------

I did like all the other things though- like the UI, feedback, and no duplicate heroes. Not all bad!!! Gonna try again
Oh boy, this is a classic example of terrible armchair dev.

Defuser

I wish people will stop chasing for kills especially for Koth maps. Overextending your boundries means lesser people defending the point.

Jarate

Banned
I wish people will stop chasing for kills especially for Koth maps. Overextending your boundries means lesser people defending the point.

Sometimes its a good idea if you can hold them to very specific chokepoints since they don't have as much room to flank

I'm thinking Lijiang Tower where 2 of the maps have only 1 way to get out of the spawn area. It forces the other team to ult giving you ult advantage

duckroll

Sometimes its a good idea if you can hold them to very specific chokepoints since they don't have as much room to flank

I'm thinking Lijiang Tower where 2 of the maps have only 1 way to get out of the spawn area. It forces the other team to ult giving you ult advantage

Yeah but it's one thing to hold them at the sides in Control Tower, and another for 2-3 team mates to decide to chase into the back room which leads up to the stairs, only for THEM to get flanked and killed there, while the enemy comes in and takes the point. That's stupid!

Yeah I've written about it before but the point is often times not the best place to defend the point.

Chasing for kills != holding specifically ON the point though. I think moving outside the point while continuing to defend the boundaries is totally smart. Like in Night Market, sometimes you want people on the left and right sides just to choke them as them turn in, before they get close to flanking the point opening itself. But chasing straight forward and getting fucked at the open area in the front? Or chasing out of the sides into the corridors which is right where they spawn? That's STUPID!

LiK

Judging from the posts, guess I'm glad I took this weekend off to play other games. Comp hasn't been great. Not that the matches are overwhelmingly one-sided lately but mainly because you meet high-ranked randoms who wanna boss you around and force you to play heroes they want in their team comp. spamming their emote shit and msging me on PSN to switch. If I'm doing well, go stfu and stop dying cuz you're whining so much that you're not playing the game anymore. If they paid attention to the kill feed, they would see I'm pulling my weight.

Anyway, I recommend ABZU and NMS if you guys need games that are relaxing. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Actually got a PotG as Winston. Was me on the payload at the end of hollywood and killed an ulting genji, a mccree, and a junkrat and it cut off before I leaped at/killed an Ana. But in the play I literally just walk forward and hold the trigger down while barely moving.

The genji messaged me and told me to learn to aim and kill myself.

lollllllllll this game's community.

LiK

Actually got a PotG as Winston. Was me on the payload at the end of hollywood and killed an ulting genji, a mccree, and a junkrat and it cut off before I leaped at/killed an Ana. But in the play I literally just walk forward and hold the trigger down while barely moving.

Lol, the salt. Don't they know how Winston plays? Anyway, good win. Pissing off the enemy team is the best feeling.

Azoor

I don't think Winston even needs a crosshairs lol.

ramyeon

Just played against an insane Tracer/Genji team of two. The Genji was rank 42 and Tracer was unranked but they were crazy, literally carried their whole team. Something felt off about them only being that level/rank and being that good but oh well.

Edit:

Amazing how much having a positive voice on the team can help. Played KOTH and wasn't using mic for the first couple of rounds since no one else seemed to be, although they were in the voice channel. We got absolutely steamrolled it was crazy. After that I started using the mic to encourage people and make calls or warn people of something happening at any given time and the game turned around - people started working together more and we actually ended up winning! So good.

Defuser

Just played against an insane Tracer/Genji team of two. The Genji was rank 42 and Tracer was unranked but they were crazy, literally carried their whole team. Something felt off about them only being that level/rank and being that good but oh well.
I bet they are smurf accounts.

Smurfing is kind of a shitty practice tbqh. Like, I understand there's some legitimate reasons to do it, like if you're a popular say Support player and want to fuck around with DPS without people thinking you're gonna play Support, but if you do it just to stomp on new or low ranked players you're an asshole.

What is a "smurf" account?
When a high level player creates a new B.net account and buys the game on there and plays it, but less "carefully" than they play on their own account. So they might use it to mess around or whatever but it has the downsides of matching super high level players in with normal people until their matchmaking stuff has caught on.

Defuser

Smurf accounts are scum because if a high ranking player pregroup up with a low level smurf account matchmaking will take account of the team average making them the underdog and pair them against a group lower than their ranks despite team avg is the same resulting the opposing group getting curbstomped.
It's essentially cheating the system and pushing the skill levels down for the innocent players.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Smurf accounts are scum because if a high ranking player pregroup up with a low level smurf account matchmaking will take account of the team average making them the underdog and pair them against a group lower than their ranks despite team avg is the same resulting the opposing group getting curbstomped.
It's essentially cheating the system and pushing the skill levels down for the innocent players.

Exactly, that's a huge problem, just look at the twitch streams.

Tons of people are on their smurf getting carried by higher level players to get fast to top 500.

Disgusting.

duckroll

Oh I see, so basically undercover top players help their friends get matched against lower ranked players with a new account, without losing any skill advantage?

Copenap

Exactly, that's a huge problem, just look at the twitch streams.

Tons of people are on their smurf getting carried by higher level players to get fast to top 500.

Disgusting.
"Huge problem". My guess is that around 0.1% of OW accounts are smurf accounts (probably less). Yeah, huge problem. It sucks, but guys, it's really not that big of a deal.

Sn4ke_911

Oh I see, so basically undercover top players help their friends get matched against lower ranked players with a new account, without losing any skill advantage?

People smurf in Overwatch and play with higher leveled friends so they get matched with higher level players and when they win the smurf account's level increases significantly and that means they get to top 500 faster.

"Huge problem". My guess is that around 0.1% of OW accounts are smurf accounts (probably less). Yeah, huge problem. It sucks, but guys, it's really not that big of a deal.

That's like saying someone is allowed to rob a bank cause it's just that one guy.

They are abusing the system, no one should get a pass for doing this, doesn't matter if it's 60% or 0.1%.

duckroll

People smurf in Overwatch and play with higher leveled friends so they get matched with higher level players and when they win the smurf account's level increases significantly and that means they get to top 500 faster.

Errrrrrr. Okay now I'm lost. I was under the impression that the smurf account was being sacrificed to help the other players in the group bump up faster because the lower initial MMR of the smurf account would give them underdog status. But if you're saying the problem is that the smurf accounts level up faster... because they're playing with high level friends... erm... that's not a problem?

A very skilled player who is already Top500 wants to make another account. Said player pays for the game again, plays with the same people, puts in his own skill again, and a new account is achieves a high rank. What's.... the problem?

Sn4ke_911

Errrrrrr. Okay now I'm lost. I was under the impression that the smurf account was being sacrificed to help the other players in the group bump up faster because the lower initial MMR of the smurf account would give them underdog status. But if you're saying the problem is that the smurf accounts level up faster... because they're playing with high level friends... erm... that's not a problem?

A very skilled player who is already Top500 wants to make another account. Said player pays for the game again, plays with the same people, puts in his own skill again, and a new account is achieves a high rank. What's.... the problem?

Hmm...

These reddit threads do a better job explaining the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4vkdre/people_are_abusing_the_ranked_system/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4v40bd/just_witnessed_pro_player_abusing_ranked_system/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4s3idu/til_that_the_highest_leveled_player_currently/

Edit: Ah there is the thread i was looking for.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4wjofj/there_are_a_very_large_number_of_players/

Copenap

That's like saying someone is allowed to rob a bank cause it's just that one guy.

They are abusing the system, no one should get a pass for doing this, doesn't matter if it's 60% or 0.1%.
Lol, yeah, exactly the same. And yes, the magnitude of the problem does matter, actually a lot.

MaKTaiL

I got Overwatch last month. Been playing Competitive ever since I was allowed to. Just got Rank 62 playing completely on my own while also getting 100 coins in the process. Believe it guys, it is possible. My first gold weapon will be Reaper's for sure. I'll keep trying to get Rank 65+ but I'm happy with what I got so far.

Sn4ke_911

I got Overwatch last month. Been playing Competitive ever since I was allowed to. Just got Rank 62 playing completely on my own while also getting 100 coins in the process. Believe it guys, it is possible. My first gold weapon will be Reaper's for sure.

Hm, i haven't decided yet.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If you look at all the twitch streamers, this isn't what's happening with them. All the high-level pro player smurf accounts are like rank 75+. The only slight advantage they get is that their MMR isn't through the roof yet, but rank kind of replaces MMR in competitive.

Most use them to play with subs and irl friends/family. They're also super easy to spot aka a level 30 account at rank 81 or something.

The advantage they're providing is only temporary through their placement games, basically. People who are actually losing on purpose to then help their friends rank up are legit cheating though, although that may be a high-rank problem and not necessarily a pro/streamer one.

ISOM

Just had a 39% 19k healing game as Lucio, I wonder what has been the highest percentage a support has gotten in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom