• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

alternatively, torbjorn like symmetra, can be completely fucked if their team is bad because they're never able to get anything set up since their team is constantly rolled

perhaps it is you that is bad.

thats an interesting point actually. Not calling any1 bad myself tho btw

I think golden revolver looks dumb. Gold hook and shotgun is most 'bang for your buck' you'll have gold everywhere. I don't think that looks great either though.

I think Tracer, just super sleek and good looking without being overwhelming.

American revolver looks way better than the golden stuff. A lot of the legendary weapons look way cooler than the golden guns, actually. I really like the way Mariachi Reaper's shotguns look.

Pilgrimzero

One of the bad things about playing in lower ranked play is you get players who play bad characters. Need to take the payload? Let's have Ana on the team. Need to take point? Sum on attack, and refuse to switch even when asked multiple times...

Hurts the rest of us trying to actually improve our rank.

patchday

They are increasing the ranked points gain by 10x but also increasing the golden gun cost by 10, so they must be adding some stuff or else thats pointless

yeah they adding 'ties' and removing sudden death. So if both parties tie they gonna give you some points. Thus, they had to get rid of the 'earn 1 point for a win'. This forced them to multiply everything by 10

Jeff kaplan give good explanation of season 2 on youtube

ramyeon

Haven't seen anything about new rewards in season 2, not sure where that came from. Golden Guns are definitely sticking around at least, since they said people would be able to get them by playing over multiple seasons.

I like how their way of solving season 1 is to make the numbers bigger to make people happy. :p

With the sheer idiocy of players I've ran into, I'm not surprised people want it on a scale of whole numbers instead of fractions.

Dropped 4 points tonight. Went in ready to push to 50, back to 44.

Every match had a Hanzo, Genji, or both. Neither were effective. If both teams had one it was kinda close.

I also had a Symm that would just freeze whenever the enemy Rein put up his shield. Like she forgot how Symm's gun works lol.

Arrrammis

I like how their way of solving season 1 is to make the numbers bigger to make people happy. :p

Yup, people like to get more.

As a side note, one of my first thoughts after seeing the higher points made me think about how they could possibly give different increments of credits (they said they give 10 per win, will people get 1 or 5 somehow?) Maybe they could give more points for your success in a match, regardless of whether you won or lost. Maybe get an extra purple credit for each gold medal or something like that? Bonus of 5 if you get POTG? It would be an interesting addition and make losses still feel like they aren't a complete waste of your time if you're aiming for those gold weapons as long as you play well. I know that gold medals aren't really a good measure of contribution, but they're all that we have.

ramyeon

It works though. The 1-100 scale was just a misstep all around, since people associate it with reviews/test scores etc. Visually it was also a poor choice since it looks like an EXP bar that's going up or down after each game, I hope they change that too. All in all it seems like the whole point of changing the numbers to be larger is to push it into the background and have the tiers be the main focus. If it works it will lead to people saying "I'm gold rank" instead of "I'm rank 3589" (Or whatever). Seems to more closely reflect actual your actual MMR anyway.

Arrrammis

No one is going to play as Mercy if you get bonus points for POTG

Please no extra incentive for POTG. Already have enough idiots holding their ults all game waiting for the 'right time'.

Fair enough. I was just looking at the (very few) stats that are tracked in-game that Blizzard could easily reward. I'm just tired of playing a 40 minute 2-point attack/defense game only to lose on coinflip and get absolutely no reward for it :(

Fair enough. I was just looking at the (very few) stats that are tracked in-game that Blizzard could easily reward. I'm just tired of playing a 40 minute 2-point attack/defense game only to lose on coinflip and get absolutely no reward for it :(
I'm not opposed to individual rewards. But they have to be very careful with it. Anything that would change the way people already play would be bad.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Please no extra incentive for POTG. Already have enough idiots holding their ults all game waiting for the 'right time'.

Plus that would just further shaft certain characters who pretty much never can get them.

I think getting a bit for a loss would be nice though. Especially with them gutting sudden death and using the time bank for other modes, it means in general matches will take longer and could be a bit of a deterrent from a rage quit.

Satch

Banned
Lol i just got the ana on my team the cute spray as genji

She was so happy and appreciative over mic

Feels nice for something genuinely good to happen in overwatch every now and then

patchday

can u guys plz pray for me I'm bout to go do more of my promos. I already knew I sucked so no surprise I'm like 1-3 right now lulz. I dont even know why I'm trying to do these promos I dont want the golden guns at all. I just think it's a cool accomplishment to be like "hey I completed season 1!!!!!"

Just played a match of Lucioball where our guy scored on our own goal by trying to stop it. I select "thanks!" from the wheel.

Fast forward to the end, he purposefully scores on us twice and costs us the game. I see the little mic symbol pop up, and it's some kid saying "sorry for scoring on you :)"

If it wasn't so funny, I'd be pissed. Well played troll jr.

I had a Genji in those matches I played tonight hold it for the whole round. He charged it moderately quickly, then didn't use it once.

I've seen lower, believe it or not. I think the lowest I saw was 22.

It's common for boosting as well. High ranked smurf on a low account with a high account and they get a lower average skill on the other team so they stomp.

Or in my case it's a guy tutoring his GF on how to support and she just follows him all game ignoring anyone else who needs heals.

#Oversalt

I was going to try and get more summer games boxes but I don't even know why I bother. Blizzard has me by the dick and despite the horrors of solo queue I still enjoy playing. Kind of like Dota 2...

Yeah I was more amazed that they managed to get lower then 30.

My favorite kind of competitive player is the one that spends the entire game telling everyone on the team how bad they are.

The worst is when I'm doing alright and they're doing abysmal, but then they say that I should switch. I play to the team comp and make things work, why should I switch because you want to play Mei on Hanamura Attack?

I've stopped trying to coach people because it distracts me. I just switch and play my heart out regardless. Now if Blizzard could recognize that and not dickpunch me every game I would get even more enjoyment out of it. But eh. I still have fun, I just have nights where I get the whole gamut of bad players.

I am so bad. Every time I do some competitive I get in a couple of good games and then do just one more and it goes so laughably terrible and I basically undo any progress.

Blues1990

I've been yo-yoing back between 39-43, and I honestly don't know what to do. I just want to get to 50 so that I can save up to unlock stuff in the near future. But I'm surrounded by people that never go to the payload, don't defend the zones, or they expect me to do all the heavy lifting and will leave me be to defend it while getting hammered by the opposing team.

And I'm getting sick of playing as Lucio, Zenyatta, and Zarya. But no one will select support, and I feel obligated to heal their dumb asses.

ramyeon

I've been yo-yoing back between 39-43, and I honestly don't know what to do. I just want to get to 50 so that I can save up to unlock stuff in the near future. But I'm surrounded by people that never go to the payload, don't defend the zones, or they expect me to do all the heavy lifting and will leave me be to defend it while getting hammered by the opposing team.

And I'm getting sick of playing as Lucio, Zenyatta, and Zarya. But no one will select support, and I feel obligated to heal their dumb asses.
If you find any cool people in solo queue then add them and group up. That's what I did last night and I went from 39 or so to 49 in one sitting. Plan to play with them again tonight if it works out. We were killing it so hard that we were gaining a rank every time we won, system obviously wanted to push us out of the 40s.

Blues1990

If you find any cool people in solo queue then add them and group up. That's what I did last night and I went from 39 or so to 49 in one sitting. Plan to play with them again tonight if it works out. We were killing it so hard that we were gaining a rank every time we won, system obviously wanted to push us out of the 40s.

I've tried that, but my invites have been declined. I have to hit the hay, but if you're playing with them later tonight and they have a free spot, could you keep me in mind? I seriously just want a good team that can communicate with me without being arrogant or acting like jerks.

ramyeon

I've tried that, but my invites have been declined. I have to hit the hay, but if you're playing with them later tonight and they have a free spot, could you keep me in mind? I seriously just want a good team that can communicate with me without being arrogant or acting like jerks.
If you're on PS4 and around for this evening Australia time then sure!

CoLaN

Season 2 looks really promising, loving the changes (on paper).

Season 1 was terrible and it will be happily forgotten.

The problem I've had with that is I'll carry people as a support and then they add me, only to make me their dedicated support and try to coach me.

I can't take that kind of uphill battle for long, so I unfriend them and hope the next person who adds me will be willing to play more than 1-2 characters.

I feel like Dad S76 sometimes.

Also, pro tip for those being supported: 90% of the healers in this game can't heal you if you aren't in LoS. Stop asking for heals then running behind a corner or further into the enemy team.

I'm starting to like Mercy more than Lucio because she can be more annoying to hit, flying around all the time. I also don't save it very often, if 1-2 people are down and it's not a total shitshow I'll revive instantly cause I know it'll charge up again soon.

Guessing 68-70 is gonna be my max with 71 as my peak.

Feels like everything goes to shit in the 70s. Either constant smurf squads or top 500s, or just teammates who had to have been carried to that rank.

Doesn't even seem worth trying solo queue because my luck seems to constantly give me a team of randoms vs 2 or 3 premades.

ramyeon

The problem I've had with that is I'll carry people as a support and then they add me, only to make me their dedicated support and try to coach me.

I can't take that kind of uphill battle for long, so I unfriend them and hope the next person who adds me will be willing to play more than 1-2 characters.

I feel like Dad S76 sometimes.

Also, pro tip for those being supported: 90% of the healers in this game can't heal you if you aren't in LoS. Stop asking for heals then running behind a corner or further into the enemy team.

I'm starting to like Mercy more than Lucio because she can be more annoying to hit, flying around all the time. I also don't save it very often, if 1-2 people are down and it's not a total shitshow I'll revive instantly cause I know it'll charge up again soon.
That sucks. The group I was with last night worked well. We played a solo game together, one of them had mic and was playing Lucio, I had mic too and was on Solider. The last guy didn't have a mic but he must have been listening in. Anyway he added both me and the Lucio and then invited us to a group together. We basically stuck with Solider/Lucio/D.va since we were working so well together with that setup and the Lucio didn't really mind, although he switched it up when other people went healer in the teams.
Guessing 68-70 is gonna be my max with 71 as my peak.

Feels like everything goes to shit in the 70s. Either constant smurf squads or top 500s, or just teammates who had to have been carried to that rank.

Doesn't even seem worth trying solo queue because my luck seems to constantly give me a team of randoms vs 2 or 3 premades.
I mean for what it's worth that is a really good rank to go out on...

Yeah i know its not bad, just really wanted to try for top 500 still. Had a group of 2 friends who I was running with, but the moment they got 65 they just bailed and rage quit on me.

Don't really have any other PS4 buddies in my level range

Right now have a Widow who is just standing next to the goal and emoting, not even trying to snipe.......

NimbusD

damn, really not going to get back to the 40s before the season ends. Finally getting my shit together, honing on on a few characters, getting good at getting teammates to chat and call things out, increased my accuracy, learned to stay alive instead of runin and die, etc etc, but whenever a server closes, or my computer overheats and crashes cuz it's 100 degrees in my apt, it's when I'm winning. I honestly don't remember a time that hasn't happened and I was losing or with a numbskull team of people not listening.

Honestly can't wait for next season and a fresh start.

patchday

just need two more promo matches and I am done. At least til new season

edit- oh noes it says I need 3. man I really hate how long these matches are.

Gaz_RB

Dude games in the 70s are fucking HEATED. There is nothing like coming back and narrowly winning a game in overtime-that gets me pumped like no other game can. My roommates probably hate me from how loud I've been cheering haha.

Dude games in the 70s are fucking HEATED. There is nothing like coming back and narrowly winning a game in overtime-that gets me pumped like no other game can. My roommates probably hate me from how loud I've been cheering haha.

Be nice if thats how most of mine were. People just seem to give up and start emoting/taunting/rage quitting too damn fast.

caesar

Banned
A guy on the other team had rank 42 (im 59 atm) and he was damn awful. He just stood there spamming helix and shooting at nothing letting himself be headshotted. I have no idea how people get ranked below 35. I mean, you have to be mechanically terrible. It makes sense when you just started playing, but I have seen level 100+ as 32 etc. Like wut.

Also had my biggest underdog win yet, got matched up with a 4 stack of 55s and the other team had a 4 stack of 70+ and a top 500. We ended up winning ilios 3-1. Boosted players in this game must be an epidemic, I never once thought 'wow these guys are good'. Thanks for the full level though.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I finally got a olympic skin from my 50th box and its tracers runner outfit and a bunch of sprays. I wanted mercy's blood red skin but this will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom