• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2017 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| The King's New Kit

Lorcain

This is the best soccer game that I've played. It only took me about 30-45 minutes to complete the skill training, and then I was into the action doing alright. The gameplay is easy to grasp, and the flow of the game works really well. There isn't that weird delay that FIFA can have waiting for animations to execute.

I've played PES games in the past, and this has to be the most accessible. It's easy to get the hang of and start feeling like a semi-competent player.

When adding the option files from peswotld or whatever it's called to the PS4... it's like 5 of them. Do I have to do each of the 5 files separately?

longdi

Banned
Ok i will try steam demo again, though the players weight in the pc port feels very different, like skating on ice again..:(

naku

So this one ML game I played against cpu. Can't remember who I was playing against but it was a LaLiga match. I was up 2-0. The opposition started playing desperate for goals and their defense was very aggressive. Their striker got behind my CB at the half line and he was provided with amazing pass to his foot. I chased him down quickly and started tapping the standing tackle button. The striker goes down just outaide the box, and all I was thinking that please ref don't give a red card, although it would probably be inevitable. He blows his whistle and picks up a yellow card, and shows it to the striker for diving. Amazing.

Nyx

Really enjoying Master League, one of the best things about this game imo is that playing against the CPU is actually fun and every match plays out differently.

The adaptive AI really seems to work too, one game I was 1-0 up at half time and in the 2nd half my opponent starts to press like madmen and as soon as they obtained the ball they would play long balls to the flanks where their wingers started causing a lot of trouble for me and I ended up losing the match 1-2.

T-Rex.

Banned
Pretty much done with MyClub already. With UT you can still win even if you have the weaker team, in this it's just ridiculous. Everything is 100mph, there's no build up play or anything, just long balls up to Ronaldo/Bale in every match and all they have to do is take pot shots because eventually the keeper will spill one and it's an easy tap in for Suarez/Messi/Neymar or whichever player they got with the special agents. They need to fuck that shit off for the next one and not give away the best players so cheaply.

Online divisions is still great though, in that you can still whoop ass even if you have the weaker team.

Kazooie

Banned
Pretty much done with MyClub already. With UT you can still win even if you have the weaker team, in this it's just ridiculous. Everything is 100mph, there's no build up play or anything, just long balls up to Ronaldo/Bale in every match and all they have to do is take pot shots because eventually the keeper will spill one and it's an easy tap in for Suarez/Messi/Neymar or whichever player they got with the special agents. They need to fuck that shit off for the next one and not give away the best players so cheaply.

Online divisions is still great though, in that you can still whoop ass even if you have the weaker team.
Not sure what you mean by that? I rarely ever come up against long ball players. Just try and keep the ball in your possession and it will be very difficult for the opponent to pump it long? If your team chemistry is bad it does make you susceptible to long balls as your defenders become very sluggish.

What are people's best spins in MyClub? Currently got Bravo, Pogba, Benatia, Ramires, Saul, Rafinha, Kane and Chicharito.

I've got the game on friday and have completed a dozen of games and played for hours.

tl;dr: It's better than PES 2016, but there are still so many things that suck hard.

First, the standard gameplay controls are crap. I don't know what the "Pass-help" is called in english, but it's not helping at all. Most of the time while passing it does what I don't want. It's constantly mixing people up, passing to the wrong people and it's really frustrating. Changing it to manual is a real gamechanger. Now you have the control and the game isn't anymore fucking up my play. But even on manual controls Ping Pong passes are not a big deal. Like for years now the orientation of the player doesn't make any difference. I stoped counting how often I played long and fucking precise passes with my heel. But ok, it is how it is.

The shooting got better in comparison to the demo. In the demo shots were like from a pistol. They are now much more realistic. But still not perfect. My biggest issue with the game is the defense. It's way to easy with X. I play most of the time with Dortmund and it's simply impossible for the CPU to win against Sokratis or Bartra. They get nearly every ball. Another problem are the animations. Especially after you "win" a ball with X both players are stuck in an animation and even if the player, who lost the ball, could get it back, he doesn't. He is stuck in the animation and can't do anything. The same for the attacking player, but he won the ball and will get it. This is so disturbing and for years in the game.

Another problem is the tactical orientation of the players. While attacking they often don't try to find holes in the defense and stay on their position. Only with L1+X passes you can convince them to take a walk into the offense. Also this isn't a big issue, because the defense is often having big, big wholes. If you land the pass, it's no problem to score a goal.

And the goalkeepers. Holy crap, how often they fail hard is just amazing.

I have tried one game online in myClub. I started a new team, tried to do a match and the matchmaking chose a guy against me that has Boateng, Toure and Ronaldo in his team. Of course he won. Thanks for nothing, Konami. Why should I even bother to play online if they don't even get the matchmaking right?

T-Rex.

Banned
Not sure what you mean by that? I rarely ever come up against long ball players. Just try and keep the ball in your possession and it will be very difficult for the opponent to pump it long? If your team chemistry is bad it does make you susceptible to long balls as your defenders become very sluggish.
What division are you in? It's all I come up against. Sit back, use CPU to press, use off the ball runs to trigger Ronaldo (or Bale) into making a run, long ball up. I mean it's not impossible to deal with, but like I said eventually the keeper spills one of the potshots and it always falls to an opposition player for a tap in. I know how to play the game, I just think MyClub is pretty bad. No issues with online divisions.

Nyx

Another problem is the tactical orientation of the players. While attacking they often don't try to find holes in the defense and stay on their position. Only with L1+X passes you can convince them to take a walk into the offense. Also this isn't a big issue, because the defense is often having big, big wholes. If you land the pass, it's no problem to score a goal.

In my experience my teammates go into attacking spaces all the time?

wapplew

Any PES complete information like UI, tips, especially master league.
Player growth, team spirit, optimal training, position change etc, lots of question.
What's that shining arrow means?

beastlove

Got the game on the weekend. Been a FIFA player for the since FIFA 12 when PES really dropped the ball. Offline this is the best football game I have ever played. Sadly the online experience is terrible. It is really difficult to get a game and suffers from button lag. I know Konami have said they are aware of the problem but I don't really trust them to get it right. I am already considering trading the game in for FIFA.

Here is myClub team.

8QzSS8F.jpg

Been set up with this for a while. Without spending any real money, I got lucky with spins to be honest.

Really tough to improve on this now though. Only one silver in my starting XI and spinning a Gold/Black is very difficult.

The Scout Auctions prices on Xbox One are ridiculous also. Talking at least 300k for 3 scouts to 'guarantee' a real high quality player.

I'd like a more natural right back (he is a CB who can play RB) and a better DM so I can move Marchisio to a CMF.

Also - Vardy is a goal machine. Regularly starts when I rotate the front 3 around and is my squads top scorer.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Got the game on the weekend. Been a FIFA player for the since FIFA 12 when PES really dropped the ball. Offline this is the best football game I have ever played. Sadly the online experience is terrible. It is really difficult to get a game and suffers from button lag. I know Konami have said they are aware of the problem but I don't really trust them to get it right. I am already considering trading the game in for FIFA.

Yeah, I'd definitely say

PES for offline
FIFA for online

So... if I go to pesworld and import over a file to my game... how do I go back and add the other data packs from pea world? Do I just erase the old file on my flash drive and do the other packs one at a time?

Do I save them all to one giant file in the pes game?

Lorcain

When adding the option files from peswotld or whatever it's called to the PS4... it's like 5 of them. Do I have to do each of the 5 files separately?
You can copy and paste all of the team files (from the different league folders on PESWorld) onto your USB Drive and they will import without a problem all at the same time. Just make sure you put them all into one single folder on your USB Drive named WEPES.

The easiest way to do this is to simply copy an entire WEPES file from one of the league folder downloads to your USB Drive, and then copy and paste the team files from the other leagues into the same folder on the USB Drive. It's easy.

Whoever did the work on this did a great job. The kits and logos look great.

spwolf

For me, not really. Of course some players, especially on the wings try to run into attack. But in the middle mostly nobody cares.

what mode are you playing in? It depends on your tactical settings and team spirit. Higher the team spirit, better players understand each other... and when it comes to type of play, you can adjust it in tactics.

spwolf

Any PES complete information like UI, tips, especially master league.
Player growth, team spirit, optimal training, position change etc, lots of question.
What's that shining arrow means?

team spirit is most important part of ML.... make sure players you buy play same tactical style as you do (last pages of player info)... that way you get players that are suited for your team and your team will play much better. Thats really the most important part. Rest is pretty simple. Shining arrows means they are pumped up against that opponent.

Also, CPU strenght is different for different game types... in myclub, computer is generally much easier than in ML... i can beat top player CPU in myclub with pretty weak team but in ML with good team it is hard to win in pro.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm loving my Master League experience thus far.

Started one with Rangers (put both them and Celtic in The Championship - it's a tradition of mine to play as Rangers in the English leagues going back to when you had to get creative over the format of the divisions). I'm currently 3 games without a win in my first 3.

Lost the first 3-0 at Fulham. Got absolutely destroyed right from about 2 minutes in. Drew the second away at Wolves 1-1. Knicked a ridiculously scruffy equaliser from a corner to rob a point, after again being second best. Played Sheffield Wednesday away and played much better. Took a surprisingly 2-0 lead, but the last 20 minutes was like the Alamo. They scored on 80 minutes, and then in stoppage time I conceded a penalty from which they equalised. Last kick of the game.

But it's REALLY satisfying. The matches have all felt truly organic and interesting, and pinpointing where I need to start bringing in new players and changing the system is properly rewarding.

It's the best single player football game ever made, for my money.

Bumhead

Banned
Are competition emblems an team emblems the same thing? I am importing the data files and I am not sure what is what... or if it even matters?

No. Competition emblems are the Premier League etc logos.

Up to you if you upload them. You'll need to change them manually even after they're uploaded.

ty_hot

I dont have internet this week at home(changing provider), so I am missing all the MyClub Special Agents.

Im practicing offline, 3w 3l 3d today. Satisfying games for sure, but I just cant get the manual shooting yet. I shoot at least 15 times per match, so the opportunities are there, I just cant score :( keep on trying

catilio

About the defense being unsurpassable, well, it depends on the team you're using. Of course is gonna be difficult for the CPU to pass Dortmund or Madrid defenders...c'mon, they are fucking amazing teams!

Try to survive with a "regular" team. Oh boy! is a whoooole different thing!

The strikers will look for an open space (without your inputs) IF they have trained for that. If the player is a regular CF is unlikely to run to an open space for you to pass the ball. Second forwards are prone to do this. You can train that ability on ML.

It also depends on how tired your player is. If the stamina bar is below 50%, you're not gonna get any player trying to open space.

spwolf

About the defense being unsurpassable, well, it depends on the team you're using. Of course is gonna be difficult for the CPU to pass Dortmund or Madrid defenders...c'mon, they are fucking amazing teams!

Try to survive with a "regular" team. Oh boy! is a whoooole different thing!

The strikers will look for an open space (without your inputs) IF they have trained for that. If the player is a regular CF is unlikely to run to an open space for you to pass the ball. Second forwards are prone to do this. You can train that ability on ML.

It also depends on how tired your player is. If the stamina bar is below 50%, you're not gonna get any player trying to open space.

it depends on what mode you are playing in... ML is hard.... Myclub is much easier. I assume that poster was posting about myclub.

spwolf

I'm loving my Master League experience thus far.

Started one with Rangers (put both them and Celtic in The Championship - it's a tradition of mine to play as Rangers in the English leagues going back to when you had to get creative over the format of the divisions). I'm currently 3 games without a win in my first 3.

Lost the first 3-0 at Fulham. Got absolutely destroyed right from about 2 minutes in. Drew the second away at Wolves 1-1. Knicked a ridiculously scruffy equaliser from a corner to rob a point, after again being second best. Played Sheffield Wednesday away and played much better. Took a surprisingly 2-0 lead, but the last 20 minutes was like the Alamo. They scored on 80 minutes, and then in stoppage time I conceded a penalty from which they equalised. Last kick of the game.

But it's REALLY satisfying. The matches have all felt truly organic and interesting, and pinpointing where I need to start bringing in new players and changing the system is properly rewarding.

It's the best single player football game ever made, for my money.

very important to take care of your team spirit in ML... change your tactics if needed to suit your players better.

What strenght are you playing it on? I am on Pro and I cant imagine how much harder top player would be.

Logsi

Playing a variety of game types to get the most GP possible to get more of these special agent unlocks. Only had silvers from it until last night when I landed on a gold which then skipped to the black next to it.

Thought my luck had run out after I got Ronaldo and Messi on my first two balls when I first got the game but got Koscielny last night which was nice! :D

Was having real trouble with myClub though, the team just wasn't doing what I want. I popped onto Master League and set the play style how I like and it's revolutionised my gameplay now, easy goals! Think I need a new manager in myClub.

Online seemed to be vastly better once set to level 5 connection restrictions.

Bumhead

Banned
very important to take care of your team spirit in ML... change your tactics if needed to suit your players better.

What strenght are you playing it on? I am on Pro and I cant imagine how much harder top player would be.

Pro here as well. Definitely a challenge.

Took me 8 games to register my first win. A 3-0 trouncing of Barnsley at Ibrox. Palpable relief!

Signed Luka Jovic (CF) from Benfica, Mason Holgate (CB) from Everton and another CB on a free called Humphries. All 20 or under and all improve Rangers.

AwShucks

My last three soccer games have been FIFA. Generally every other year but I skipped last year. Played both demos and I liked PES more. Mostly I thought it looked better but also the gameplay was more interesting. FIFA I literally did what has always worked, sprint right through the defense and have an open shot against just the goalie. I was like "yep that's FIFA".

So I think I'm getting PES this year. But I want more info on Master League. I'm reading great things, but I want to be sure it's on par with FIFA manager mode. That's all I play. I use Liverpool so I know that's covered in PES though I'll download all the kits and whatnot for EPL. But how are the general needs like transfers, roster management, contract negotiations, league tournaments during the season?

Anyone who wants a good young DM/Deep lying playmaker should have a look at Stefano Sensi at Sassuolo, incredible on this.

My last three soccer games have been FIFA. Generally every other year but I skipped last year. Played both demos and I liked PES more. Mostly I thought it looked better but also the gameplay was more interesting. FIFA I literally did what has always worked, sprint right through the defense and have an open shot against just the goalie. I was like "yep that's FIFA".

So I think I'm getting PES this year. But I want more info on Master League. I'm reading great things, but I want to be sure it's on par with FIFA manager mode. That's all I play. I use Liverpool so I know that's covered in PES though I'll download all the kits and whatnot for EPL. But how are the general needs like transfers, roster management, contract negotiations, league tournaments during the season?

I usually play Liverpool but i started as AC Milan and i've just entered my second season with them so i've got a good idea of how things work.

Transfers
- The window is open when you start ML and transfers happen between clubs immediately.
- You don't get much money (at least not as Milan), you'll likely have to sell to buy, especially if you want "big" players.
- You don't get much money for winning trophies either, i won Serie A and got like 5mil lol
- When looking at a player there's a "chances of signing meter" out of 5, five out of five means the club will sell for market value, the lower the number, the more they'll cost you.
- You can be outright rejected for a low chance player but immediately re-enter negotiations, doing so will at least give you a quoted price for the player, but it'll be extremely expensive.
- You can alter negotiation terms when buying and selling e.g asking them to lower the price/raise the offer, alter the length of the contract, offer players in trade etc. You get a percentage of how successful your suggestions will be.
- Players that have a good season will receive higher offers due to their consistency, i recieved a 29 million offer for Abate for example, who's 30 odd and has a rating of about 77.

Contracts
- Nothing to it really, you get notified when a contract is running down and getting them to renew it is just a case of asking repeatedly lol, you can't tweak the contracts iirc. You have separate funds for wages but i don't think it's something you ever need to worry about.

Tournaments
Both the Europa League and CL are fully licensed so the official balls, intros, screen graphics, music etc is in, really adds to the immersion.

It's great, not perfect of course (ideally i'd like the option of suspending transfers for the first 6 months), but as someone like yourself that only plays ML/Career mode this is best and most addictive i've played.

I gave the demo another shot and i am kinda getting better now but... what is the consensus on the best passing/through pass/shooting system if there is one here?

I now tried Passing level 3, through passes manual (which i am still getting used to but it's hard sorta since i tend to pass way too hard so the ball goes out a lot) and manual shooting (not advanced) and here's where i UTTERLY fail at the moment. I haven't scored ONE goal yet since changing to manual shooting for some reason. What's the secret here?

I gave the demo another shot and i am kinda getting better now but... what is the consensus on the best passing/through pass/shooting system if there is one here?

I now tried Passing level 3, through passes manual (which i am still getting used to but it's hard sorta since i tend to pass way too hard so the ball goes out a lot) and manual shooting (not advanced) and here's where i UTTERLY fail at the moment. I haven't scored ONE goal yet since changing to manual shooting for some reason. What's the secret here?

I only use manual passing if I want to make that killer pass, otherwise it's the default auto.

For shooting, I use the precision shot, or whatever R2+Square is called.

spwolf

Contracts
- Nothing to it really, you get notified when a contract is running down and getting them to renew it is just a case of asking repeatedly lol, you can't tweak the contracts iirc. You have separate funds for wages but i don't think it's something you ever need to worry about.

Tournaments
Both the Europa League and CL are fully licensed so the official balls, intros, screen graphics, music etc is in, really adds to the immersion.

It's great, not perfect of course (ideally i'd like the option of suspending transfers for the first 6 months), but as someone like yourself that only plays ML/Career mode this is best and most addictive i've played.

You can actually adjust the contracts and even sign them ahead of the time. You can adjust the wage and length... so right away make sure your best players get 3yr contracts since their price will go up and up.

Players that play more/happier will even offer extensions themselves... players that are not playing or are not happy will be harder to renew.

Nice, i haven't bothered with contracts until i needed to renew one. I guess that's why i've received offers for players mid-season if they can be signed ahead of time

Socreges

Banned
I want to buy this ASAP, but may get it for my birthday next week...bah.

Strange sensation being a grown man and having to wait to play a videogame, just like the old days.

Lorcain

Double tap X = Tackle

For people coming from Fifa. (i learnt this today, not sure since when its a thing).
That made a big difference in my games. Prior to that I was just holding down X.

I usually finish games with 3 to 4 times as many tackles as the AI, and the AI will have 3 to 4 times as many interceptions. When I try to play more like the AI cutting off passing lanes, and patiently waiting for mistakes, I usually get shredded by long balls and through passes. So then I go back to tackling as often as I can.

catilio

That made a big difference in my games. Prior to that I was just holding down X.

I usually finish games with 3 to 4 times as many tackles as the AI, and the AI will have 3 to 4 times as many interceptions. When I try to play more like the AI cutting off passing lanes, and patiently waiting for mistakes, I usually get shredded by long balls and through passes. So then I go back to tackling as often as I can.

When the AI is attacking, move the R3 stick towards your defenders to select a center defender. Use square to press with your teammates (double square to use more than one player). This way you can push the ai to the sides or be better prepared for the CF trying to push for the goal.

This way you'll always will be face to face to the CF, and if you press X twice at the right time, will tackle the ball without touching the opponent.

Menaged

Quick question:
I did the PES-World update, and now I see that there's a live update by Konami.
Will it reset the option file?

Thanks

spwolf

Nice, i haven't bothered with contracts until i needed to renew one. I guess that's why i've received offers for players mid-season if they can be signed ahead of time

few seasons in, top players will want 20m/yr to play for you, so managing contracts on time gets pretty important... now i make sure i sign everyone for longest possible duration.

Top Bottom