• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on what the hell is happening in the games industry and why exclusives have become a risky business

Fess

Well phil has a valid point here. The console gaming community is shrinking. The new generations don't play on consoles so much. So while the numbers look good in terms of revenue, they don't last that long because console gamers get older, loose their interest or simply die out. So the industry needs to get to the new generations. But do far, this is not really working. Nintendo did it, but they also attracted a lot of people that don't buy that many games.
Yeah this is all true going by my anecdotal evidence. My kids and their buddies either play on Switch, mobile, tablets or PC.
PS5 and Series X is a dad thing, and rare. I’m the ”cool” dad who have everything. And I’m a dinosaur, almost 50.
Most popular games are Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, I’ve heard a few youngsters playing Palworld lately too, and Zelda TOTK gets mentioned.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Well phil has a valid point here. The console gaming community is shrinking. The new generations don't play on consoles so much. So while the numbers look good in terms of revenue, they don't last that long because console gamers get older, loose their interest or simply die out. So the industry needs to get to the new generations. But do far, this is not really working. Nintendo did it, but they also attracted a lot of people that don't buy that many games.
Yeah this is all true going by my anecdotal evidence. My kids and their buddies either play on Switch, mobile, tablets or PC.
PS5 and Series X is a dad thing, and rare. I’m the ”cool” dad who have everything. And I’m a dinosaur, almost 50.
Most popular games are Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, I’ve heard a few youngsters playing Palworld lately too, and Zelda TOTK gets mentioned.

This presumes that habits won't change as gen Z gets older.

Gen Z has no money to their own names and a lot of time. That's not going to be the case forever.

reinking

Gold Member
Yeah risky because of your install base and also because your exclusive game sucks.

Why the...

bmup-jpg.899891

❔❔❔

Sheep Eating GIF

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My son is 9, him and all his mates all had Switches when they were younger, last Christmas nearly all of them got PS5s. They play constantly, but it's only Fortnite, Roblox and EAFC. I don't think consoles are in trouble, at least PlayStation and Nintendo aren't, but AAA single player might become more niche over time unfortunately. I think the only 'proper' game my son has played and loved on PS5 was Astro's Playroom, so he's excited for Astrobot, all is not lost.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I never read this post before today and what a crock of shit from Phil. Yes things have changed but people haven’t cooled on consoles they have cooled on your console and it’s because of your companies decisions to not market and invest in AAA exclusives. Why would people buy your console as it’s a me too console with no must have titles and limited beyond the scope of the Pc which you already support?!

Now that said what they are attempting going forward might be the best solution but I still wish their next system came from Microsoft itself and not opened up to vendors or at least have to have the same internals as that’s the benefit of a console. I don’t want to see 6 variants of consoles at different prices with some having faster drives / or more memory etc. this will fragment the install base unless we have those upgrades available to all vendors and we’re just buying visual / style differences.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's all BS Nintendo sells more games with a fraction of the budget on lesser hardware.

The bottom line is big corporations created this AAA eco system full of consultant leeches and dead weight third parties that they cannot stray from now because their major investors are so deep into that eco system that they won't allow it.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
“We gave up on trying to manage lean development cycles. Now we have to sell games everywhere and just hope we break even because all the project management finesse is out the door”

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
My son is 9, him and all his mates all had Switches when they were younger, last Christmas nearly all of them got PS5s. They play constantly, but it's only Fortnite, Roblox and EAFC. I don't think consoles are in trouble, at least PlayStation and Nintendo aren't, but AAA single player might become more niche over time unfortunately. I think the only 'proper' game my son has played and loved on PS5 was Astro's Playroom, so he's excited for Astrobot, all is not lost.
Triple A single player games probably peaked in the 7th generation.

simple its just series x are just meh on their performance(held back by a potato) and their game development sucks ass like halo infinite fiasco
MPtI2eU.jpeg

and over reliance on gamepass leading lost of sales on their physical media even their digital "why own a game when there is a gamepass" + never checking their game development like hellblade 2

by the way its only Xbox are just suck not whole game industry(making fake news by so called "journalist" or fanboys that game industry sucks its just their console they idolize its just losing its gaming reliability)

Last edited:

lordrand11

Thats your fault lmao.

I started my kid on my 3ds playing zelda link between worlds. took him a year to get it and make progress. by the time he was six, he was able to beat some dungeons. Got him a switch and raised him on Mario, Luigi and more zelda games. When he went to trash like minecraft and robolox a couple of years later, he just didnt find them fulfilling enough. Now he plays robolox with his friends to socialize every now and then but would rather play street fighter, spiderman, botw, totk, and other AAA games.

apparently all his friends are playing fortnite too but im not letting him play that trash. you control the trash they play.
And because he didn't naturally come to that and you barred him from playing games with his friends he's gonna look down on those games.

We play those games but also play a wide variety of others with my own and she's pretty well rounded on all the consoles but prefers PCs due to everything being better on it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'm waiting for someone to post a photo of Iwata-san holding a Nintendo DS and Wii and boasting, "Who's laughing now, losers?"

All of these issues were raised 20 years ago by Nintendo: endlessly rising software budgets, endless obsession over hardware power, stagnating customer base, and a lack of new customers brought into the fold. Their resulting innovations were enormously successful, yet also highly controversial and turbulent among software publishers and traditional "hardcore" gamers. Many of those gamers are still grouchy about the Wii Remote and all those dreaded "casuals" crowding around the television set.

Meanwhile, the children who grew up playing Wii became the young adults who play Switch.

I honestly don't know where Microsoft goes forward with their Xbox. I feel that its original aim--to become the hub for the digital convergence in the living room, the fabled "set-top box" that was the computer industry's dream for decades--was thrown awry for several reasons, including not only Sony (who, frankly, invented the PlayStation so they could sell DVD & Blu-Ray), but especially Apple, who stole the set-top box away from the television, and instead attached it to a mobile telephone. The iPhone was Steve Jobs' revenge for Macworld '97.

Anyway, that's my crazy conspiracy of the day. Knock it around and kick the tires if you wish.

I always felt that Microsoft lost the wind in their sales when they killed the Kinect. That was their giant gamble for conquering the living room, and had the technology fully worked properly, history might have turned out differently. But it was too ambitious and too buggy for its own good, and there was also a host of problems that consumers would have loathed (you just know the Kinect would have been used to scan your living room and shut down your DVD player if too many "unauthorized" people were watching).

A decade ago, I would have believed that videogames would evolve away from the idea of a dedicated console, a special box that plugs into your TV and only plays games. The rise of mobile games and online services pointed in that direction. Today, things feel very different, and we see that those innovations came with their own problems, particularly Apple's iOS wide-open policy towards publishing software apps and the resulting collapse in pricing (games purchased for as little as 99 cents) and the rise of microtransactions and "pay-to-play." Meanwhile, we have online services like Steam and GOG that seem to occupy their own unique space without crashing Sony/MS/Nintendo's turf.

I hold that there are three ironclad rules for the videogame industry, three Prime Directives. These are the following: The Bushnell Rule ("A videogame should be easy to learn, hard to master"), The Yamauchi Rule ("A videogame console is nothing more than a box," aka "software is everything"), and The Kalinske Rule ("That box must sell at the mass-market price to survive").

Microsoft's move towards publishing on rival platforms should sound an alarm to anyone who lived through the Atari era of the 1980s, and to a lesser extent, Sega's struggles in the 1990s. If your games are available everywhere, you might earn more revenue in the short run, but in the long run you've diluted your brand. Consumers don't need to buy your box to play the games. If you want to play Mario, you need Nintendo's box, full stop. You have no choice, which results in greater hardware sales, which leads to stronger software support, which leads to more customers, yadda yadda. That has been the successful business model for the past 40 years, and despite the rise of digital distribution and online play, that model still stands.

Of course, we shall see this theory put to the test when Switch 2 comes out. Videogame history is not kind to returning champions, as Atari, Sega, Sony and even Nintendo found out.

Does this mean it will soon be Microsoft's turn to "exit the hardware business, go software?" Sega was hit with that all through the mid-90s, and Nintendo even faced those catcalls by the end of the Gamecube era. If Xbox is going to survive as a hardware platform, and not just a software brand, then some innovative thinking is required.

Of course, we should also point out for the record that Microsoft will probably hold a total monopoly on every business computer on the planet until the end of time. Nothing is ever going to touch Windows and Office, and that basically gives the company more money than God. Their market capitalization is currently just over $3 trillion dollars. They could keep Xbox chugging along and collecting revenue and writing off the losses until the sun explodes. Or they could just decide to buy half the videogame industry. Heck, they're big enough to swallow up Sony if they were really serious, although that would be a challenge, to put it mildly. That's the sort of thing that leads to a shooting war.

Sooo...is there a point to this? I think the important thing is that I drank too much soda earlier this evening, and that I was wearing an onion on my belt, which is the style of the time. And I'd much rather be playing Atari 5200 (with that super-cool custom-built dual joystick) than whatever the hell Xbox 4 is called.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I'm waiting for someone to post a photo of Iwata-san holding a Nintendo DS and Wii and boasting, "Who's laughing now, losers?"

All of these issues were raised 20 years ago by Nintendo: endlessly rising software budgets, endless obsession over hardware power, stagnating customer base, and a lack of new customers brought into the fold. Their resulting innovations were enormously successful, yet also highly controversial and turbulent among software publishers and traditional "hardcore" gamers. Many of those gamers are still grouchy about the Wii Remote and all those dreaded "casuals" crowding around the television set.

Meanwhile, the children who grew up playing Wii became the young adults who play Switch.

I honestly don't know where Microsoft goes forward with their Xbox. I feel that its original aim--to become the hub for the digital convergence in the living room, the fabled "set-top box" that was the computer industry's dream for decades--was thrown awry for several reasons, including not only Sony (who, frankly, invented the PlayStation so they could sell DVD & Blu-Ray), but especially Apple, who stole the set-top box away from the television, and instead attached it to a mobile telephone. The iPhone was Steve Jobs' revenge for Macworld '97.

Anyway, that's my crazy conspiracy of the day. Knock it around and kick the tires if you wish.

I always felt that Microsoft lost the wind in their sales when they killed the Kinect. That was their giant gamble for conquering the living room, and had the technology fully worked properly, history might have turned out differently. But it was too ambitious and too buggy for its own good, and there was also a host of problems that consumers would have loathed (you just know the Kinect would have been used to scan your living room and shut down your DVD player if too many "unauthorized" people were watching).

A decade ago, I would have believed that videogames would evolve away from the idea of a dedicated console, a special box that plugs into your TV and only plays games. The rise of mobile games and online services pointed in that direction. Today, things feel very different, and we see that those innovations came with their own problems, particularly Apple's iOS wide-open policy towards publishing software apps and the resulting collapse in pricing (games purchased for as little as 99 cents) and the rise of microtransactions and "pay-to-play." Meanwhile, we have online services like Steam and GOG that seem to occupy their own unique space without crashing Sony/MS/Nintendo's turf.

I hold that there are three ironclad rules for the videogame industry, three Prime Directives. These are the following: The Bushnell Rule ("A videogame should be easy to learn, hard to master"), The Yamauchi Rule ("A videogame console is nothing more than a box," aka "software is everything"), and The Kalinske Rule ("That box must sell at the mass-market price to survive").

Microsoft's move towards publishing on rival platforms should sound an alarm to anyone who lived through the Atari era of the 1980s, and to a lesser extent, Sega's struggles in the 1990s. If your games are available everywhere, you might earn more revenue in the short run, but in the long run you've diluted your brand. Consumers don't need to buy your box to play the games. If you want to play Mario, you need Nintendo's box, full stop. You have no choice, which results in greater hardware sales, which leads to stronger software support, which leads to more customers, yadda yadda. That has been the successful business model for the past 40 years, and despite the rise of digital distribution and online play, that model still stands.

Of course, we shall see this theory put to the test when Switch 2 comes out. Videogame history is not kind to returning champions, as Atari, Sega, Sony and even Nintendo found out.

Does this mean it will soon be Microsoft's turn to "exit the hardware business, go software?" Sega was hit with that all through the mid-90s, and Nintendo even faced those catcalls by the end of the Gamecube era. If Xbox is going to survive as a hardware platform, and not just a software brand, then some innovative thinking is required.

Of course, we should also point out for the record that Microsoft will probably hold a total monopoly on every business computer on the planet until the end of time. Nothing is ever going to touch Windows and Office, and that basically gives the company more money than God. Their market capitalization is currently just over $3 trillion dollars. They could keep Xbox chugging along and collecting revenue and writing off the losses until the sun explodes. Or they could just decide to buy half the videogame industry. Heck, they're big enough to swallow up Sony if they were really serious, although that would be a challenge, to put it mildly. That's the sort of thing that leads to a shooting war.

Sooo...is there a point to this? I think the important thing is that I drank too much soda earlier this evening, and that I was wearing an onion on my belt, which is the style of the time. And I'd much rather be playing Atari 5200 (with that super-cool custom-built dual joystick) than whatever the hell Xbox 4 is called.
You did this, dano1 dano1

Vexed Dad

Neo Member
The constant need for more and more expansion and growth will always be an issue. What's the goal, 100% human population playing games? How is this a sustainable business model? It's the reason even the best companies or products fail. The ever expanding, more growth, more profits model is a failure.

Kumomeme

nice write up

Noice Thats Nice GIF

Last edited:
That theory failed, when we found out how much money Microsoft was NOT prepared to risk; about 68.7 billion dollars.
Basically everything was fine, back when Xbox was a rounding error on MS's balance sheet. But Xbox went too close to the sun and made a gamble too big to ignore.

Xbox finally bottomed out the warchest that they realized too late, wasn't bottomless after all.

This weird notion kids don't want consoles makes no sense to me

It's not that kids don't WANT them... they just don't have brand loyalty to them--is how I perceive it from my vantage point as a father.
And on top of that, they don't have brand loyalty to the games themselves either.
From where I'm sitting, it really seems like it's the nature of the televisions themselves that is driving this change.
When I was a kid, you really felt the connectivity between the console and the television--whether that was through hooking it up yourself, changing the input yourself, not being able to do anything else other than game on the tv, because there was no internet or streaming.
But kids these days, they want for nothing. You turn these new smart tvs on, and its like "oh, good morning sirs, heres the last 10 shows you streamed, and recos based on them. Here are the consoles you have connected, and some games you've been playing. Here are some offerings on streaming platforms you haven't yet subscribed to. Your favorite team is playing tonight, would you like to watch?"

Every piece of media, be it a game or a show, is just a drop in the bucket of the collective experience known as "screen time."

IMO, just MO, but IMO, Sony should ditch the Playstation console cycle and move into the TVAC model: TVs as consoles. The controller could be the tv remote, with motion sensors in it so when its flipped horizontally the inputs are different and it turns into a game controller. Various sizes of TVs could be priced differently (obviously), and various console horsepowers could also be offered on various sizes. The iterations of consoles could stop, and you could just have them given some arbitrary number: basically this is the playstation tv 7000, then the 7500 comes out a few months later, slightly more powerful, then the playstation tv 8000, and on and on. So the consumer is then saying "I want the 40" Sony PS7500TV."

Astray

That theory failed, when we found out how much money Microsoft was NOT prepared to risk; about 68.7 billion dollars.
Basically everything was fine, back when Xbox was a rounding error on MS's balance sheet. But Xbox went too close to the sun and made a gamble too big to ignore.

Xbox finally bottomed out the warchest that they realized too late, wasn't bottomless after all.
I think a lot of people just looked at how big Microsoft is, and forgot that when a huge enterprise is managing a smaller one as a side thing, that smaller enterprise is basically an email away from being shuttered or degraded, especially if it isn't profitable.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
The constant need for more and more expansion and growth will always be an issue. What's the goal, 100% human population playing games? How is this a sustainable business model? It's the reason even the best companies or products fail. The ever expanding, more growth, more profits model is a failure.
Budgets increased. Also suits love growth.

Phil and his bullshit excuses. Meanwhile Nintendo is swimming in exclusives and are doing better than ever, and Sony continues to sign exclusive deals excluding Xbox.

The only company moving away from exclusives is MS and it's because they don't have the install base to support exclusives thanks to the mismanagement Phil and the dumbasses at MS have been doing for a decade.

Blaming Gen Z for your missteps is the typical Phil and MS move.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You know what’s kind of crazy my vision which still hasn’t come true is easily doable and that’s turning your phone into a True console.

With all the innovations and technology, our current phones have more power than the Nintendo switch why there isn’t a true dock for these devices, the plugs directly into your TV and allows you to play these games with a mouse and keyboard or controller is beyond me

The biggest turtle that we have for that would be storage and there is absolutely away to include bigger storage and or a fast external drive inside the dock or micro USB type style cards to be inserted

Imagine having your iPhone that you take to work and put into a dock and it becomes your full-fledged work PC and when you take it home, you dock it into your TV or your monitor and you can play all of your games.

We don’t constantly need camera spec bumps every year what we need is storage and more innovation, Samsung’s dex is a decent idea, but we needed to continuue to grow.

You know what’s kind of crazy my vision which still hasn’t come true is easily doable and that’s turning your phone into a True console.

With all the innovations and technology, our current phones have more power than the Nintendo switch why there isn’t a true dock for these devices, the plugs directly into your TV and allows you to play these games with a mouse and keyboard or controller is beyond me
1. phone gamers are not interested in carrying accessories.

2. phones are neutered by their complete lack of any cooling whatsoever. None of the phones on the market are going at full power because then they would literally burn down.

Take your console and rip the cooling fan out of it, and that is what a phone is. A device that is not able to be powerful without destroying itself.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
1. phone gamers are not interested in carrying accessories.

2. phones are neutered by their complete lack of any cooling whatsoever. None of the phones on the market are going at full power because then they would literally burn down.

Take your console and rip the cooling fan out of it, and that is what a phone is. A device that is not able to be powerful without destroying itself.
I understand from that perspective, but more innovation should be put into this direction. We have iPads that can play for multiple hours at a time without fans. Yes, they get warm, but the iPhones are already massively more advanced than the switch.
even if they sell an external dock that has a fan and a GPU in it that would allow to play games dock, while you can continue to play them on mobile without the dock

Last edited:
I understand from that perspective, but more innovation should be put into this direction. We have iPads that can play for multiple hours at a time without fans. Yes, they get warm, but the iPhones are already massively more advanced than the switch.
even if they sell an external dock that has a fan and a GPU in it that would allow to play games dock, while you can continue to play them on mobile without the dock
You are effectively buying a sports car that had a speed limiter so it can't actually go faster than normal. If you need to play something docked, just play on a console.

hussar16

iwata son is more greedy then even Microsoft or sony. They sold consoles that made them at least 5 times then what they were made with while sony and Microsoft gave fans actual new consoles while taking a loss. Nintendo stil sells their games that are a decade old at 60$. You don't think nintendo is greedy? They just do it other ways knowing they have loyal fans they can screw over. They are sitting on buckets of cash selling inferior cheap consoles because the other companies are taking the heavy load of holding the industry together while nintendo has a good niche they don't have to worry about everything else. Without sony or Microsoft nintnedo would fail.

Hudo

The most useless gaming ceo in the history of this industry. Even Don Mattrick and Phil Harrison were better than this clown
100% disagree. Don Mattrick fucked Microsoft's PC gaming efforts completely. Shutting down Ensemble and FASA Studios in the process. Dude killed off Age of Empires before Phil resurrected it successfully.

Don is the reason why Xbox are in the state they're in now. He managed to fuck Microsoft in the most important generation, where customers started to seriously build their digital libraries and thus get locked into the ecosystem. If anyone killed Xbox and just let Valve free reign over the PC as a platform, it's Don. He fucked over Microsoft on both fronts.

Top Bottom