• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on what the hell is happening in the games industry and why exclusives have become a risky business

MacReady13

He managed to fuck Microsoft in the most important generation, where customers started to seriously build their digital libraries and thus get locked into the ecosystem.
Seriously? So now all of a sudden Xbox gamers care about OWNING a digital library when most of them only play games through Gamepass? They don't NEED their digital library cause they don't OWN anything anyway! So please- stop trying to make excuses for the clown in charge now. He had 1 fucking job and he has failed... miserably.

Sure, Phil undoubtedly made some massive mistakes(ABI acquisition,etc), but I feel a huge part of the failure of the Xbox is the very finicky XBox community who rarely buy or support games and this has been going on well before Gamepass. What makes things even worst is PlayStation and XBox have mostly the same games so it makes the situation look even worst for Microsoft imo.

Microsoft games to my knowledge selling much better on PlayStation isn’t exactly helping matters either which will most likely mean more multiplatform games on other platforms. It sucks for the XBox console and exclusivity, but if XBOX gamers actually bought games Microsoft probably wouldn’t have to resort to this multiplatform strategy.

Last edited:
It's not that kids don't WANT them... they just don't have brand loyalty to them--is how I perceive it from my vantage point as a father.
And on top of that, they don't have brand loyalty to the games themselves either.
From where I'm sitting, it really seems like it's the nature of the televisions themselves that is driving this change.
When I was a kid, you really felt the connectivity between the console and the television--whether that was through hooking it up yourself, changing the input yourself, not being able to do anything else other than game on the tv, because there was no internet or streaming.
But kids these days, they want for nothing. You turn these new smart tvs on, and its like "oh, good morning sirs, heres the last 10 shows you streamed, and recos based on them. Here are the consoles you have connected, and some games you've been playing. Here are some offerings on streaming platforms you haven't yet subscribed to. Your favorite team is playing tonight, would you like to watch?"

Every piece of media, be it a game or a show, is just a drop in the bucket of the collective experience known as "screen time."

IMO, just MO, but IMO, Sony should ditch the Playstation console cycle and move into the TVAC model: TVs as consoles. The controller could be the tv remote, with motion sensors in it so when its flipped horizontally the inputs are different and it turns into a game controller. Various sizes of TVs could be priced differently (obviously), and various console horsepowers could also be offered on various sizes. The iterations of consoles could stop, and you could just have them given some arbitrary number: basically this is the playstation tv 7000, then the 7500 comes out a few months later, slightly more powerful, then the playstation tv 8000, and on and on. So the consumer is then saying "I want the 40" Sony PS7500TV."

They don’t need to ditch consoles to follow your horrible tv idea.

Top Bottom