• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Game Boost Reconfirmed By Sony Exec, Games With Unlocked Frame Rate/Dynamic Resolution Will Automatically See Improvements

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PS5 Pro mode was already oficially confirmed the day it was announced. There was no need to speculate about it.

As in its exact functionality.

When DF first started talking about PS5's boost mode, some users here thought it meant an automatic 4x resolution multiplier for PS4 games and whatnot.

yurinka

As in its exact functionality.

When DF first started talking about PS5's boost mode, some users here thought it meant an automatic 4x resolution multiplier for PS4 games and whatnot.
Well, the PS4 Pro boost mode and PS5 boost mode were the same. So the PS5 Pro mode was assumed to be the same:
  • Games with unlocked framerate get a higher framerate
  • Games with capped framerate get a more steady framerate
  • Games with dynamic resolution get a higher one
  • I have no idea if loading times were improved in the boost modes, but I'd bet they were and also should happen the same now too
Boost mode means unlocking the extra horsepower while in BC mode, which in practice means it has these effects not needing any action from the devs.

Regarding how exactly it does impact each game, obviously will depend on each game, as happened before.

Last edited:

digdug2

Nope, that does not happen with the PS4 version on PS5, it can drop here and there with some particle and effects heavy powers, especially big bosses on the DLC, but nothing like you're describing.
It absolutely does happen with the PS4 version on PS5. I have played the PS4 on PS5 extensively, and it has a good bit of frame drops throughout the game. Not just when there are particle-heavy effects or boss fights.

DrDryRub

So basically like any other piece of gaming hardware that is more powerful that it's previous version. More power = more gooder. I guess it's similar to how Xbox handles it with their back compatible or older games. Fire'em up and get more frames

Top Bottom