• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Game Boost Reconfirmed By Sony Exec, Games With Unlocked Frame Rate/Dynamic Resolution Will Automatically See Improvements

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Dumb And Dumber GIF

Most shocking news ever..

And borderline useless because, for some unholy reason, 30fps caps aren't unlockable 90% of the time.
majority of ps5 games, like 99% has a 60fps performance mode, so its not an issue here.
But yea the 30fps mode locked is a common thing for console.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
FF16 won't work much with it at current. Whenever you enter battle the game automatically drops to 720p on performance mode, they'd have to patch that.

Happy for Dragons Dogma 2 fans though, they should see some improvements there.

I think you're assuming that FF16 isn't dropping to 720p because of the dynamic resolution and the games call for 60 fps in battle, but the developer actively setting a lower resolution in battle. We'll see, but I don't think that's the case.

Dumb And Dumber GIF

Most shocking news ever..

And borderline useless because, for some unholy reason, 30fps caps aren't unlockable 90% of the time.

How many games this gen are locked to 30? Most games run or try to run at 60 fps this generation and dynamic resolution has been heavily utilized this generation, because people don't mind as much dropping from say 2160p to 1800p or 1600p, but PS5 Pro instantly fixes that.

... so the same as the PS4 Pro's boost mode, the PlayStation 5's PS4's bc setup, the Xbox One X, the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S then?

"Sony exec reconfirms that, yes, PS5 Pro really will play all your PS5 games!"

Most PS4 games ran at a locked 30 fps with a locked resolution... Boost mode is a bigger deal this generation than last.

Vick

Gold Member
majority of ps5 games, like 99% has a 60fps performance mode, so its not an issue here.
But yea the 30fps mode locked is a common thing for console.
How many games this gen are locked to 30? Most games run or try to run at 60 fps this generation and dynamic resolution has been heavily utilized this generation, because people don't mind as much dropping from say 2160p to 1800p or 1600p, but PS5 Pro instantly fixes that.
Yeah I know, but what about the entire PS4 catalog?

I expected more from this Boost Mode, especially after those countless home runs by Illusion0001 who made possible playing all those games at 60fps on a base PS5.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I just looked and you can still preorder for launch day? That seems bad…

Sony can make probably make 2 million units per month. Shifting production to PS5 Pro from PS5 for this holiday season since there is plenty of PS5 inventory, means that if they started with 0 units the day they announced the PS5 Pro, they'd still be able to surge up to 4 million units by launch day.

Given that we can assume roughly 10% of the PS userbase will buy this and if we assume the PS5 matches the PS4 in sales, that would put PS5 Pros at about 12 million units lifetime over the course of the next 4 years. That's an average of 3 million per year.

Does it seem bad if they're not sold out? Only if you struggle with math.

All that being said, we have no idea how many units they've sold. It could be selling poorly or it could be selling like hot cakes and sausage.

We know that they projected 18 million units for the fiscal year and they were largely running around 3 million behind that estimate. So for launch and the rest of November I think they'd have to sell approx. 1 million units and then average 500K units in December, January, February, and March. So I think they'd be happy for anything between 1-2 million by the end of November.

Trogdor1123

Sony can make probably make 2 million units per month. Shifting production to PS5 Pro from PS5 for this holiday season since there is plenty of PS5 inventory, means that if they started with 0 units the day they announced the PS5 Pro, they'd still be able to surge up to 4 million units by launch day.

Given that we can assume roughly 10% of the PS userbase will buy this and if we assume the PS5 matches the PS4 in sales, that would put PS5 Pros at about 12 million units lifetime over the course of the next 4 years. That's an average of 3 million per year.

Does it seem bad if they're not sold out? Only if you struggle with math.

All that being said, we have no idea how many units they've sold. It could be selling poorly or it could be selling like hot cakes and sausage.

We know that they projected 18 million units for the fiscal year and they were largely running around 3 million behind that estimate. So for launch and the rest of November I think they'd have to sell approx. 1 million units and then average 500K units in December, January, February, and March. So I think they'd be happy for anything between 1-2 million by the end of November.
Wasn’t ps4 pro around 20%? That seems pretty good. Can I ask where you got the 2 million pros production a month For the pros?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

I expected more from this Boost Mode, especially after those countless home runs by Illusion0001 who made possible playing all those games at 60fps on a base PS5.

This isn't going to do anything for PS4 games that the PS5 isn't already doing. Even when uncapped, you're going to hit a ceiling of 60 fps because that was the limit for PS4. Those games are already boosted and the ps5 probably already achieved max resolution.

You'd have to patch those games and more importantly release PS5 versions of them to unlock things like 120 fps modes.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Wasn’t ps4 pro around 20%? That seems pretty good. Can I ask where you got the 2 million pros production a month For the pros?

Just deduction.

You take the existing userbase of the PS5 which is above 60 million units. You account for existing inventory in warehouses and and retail, but also pre launch build up and assume a wash.

You take the number of months the PS5 has been available, which through September is 46 months.

60 million divided by by 46 is 1.3 million.

At an average of 1.3 million for the entire duration, we also know that production is considerably faster now than it was when the PS5 was supply constrained. So I'd estimate between 1.5 million to 2 million units per month now.

The PS5 Pro uses almost entirely the same parts as the PS5, I don't see any reason why production would be slower for PS5 Pro. Sony would probably pause or near pause PS5 production for a month or two to ramp up with PS5 Pros.

Gamerguy84

Sounds great and I didn't know this.

So is this right?

Any game running unlocked framerate and or dynamic resolution will get a nice bump. So resolution will be higher toward the ceiling resolution and frame rate will climb as well.

I've heard PSSR is easy to implement as well. That's a lot of games that will benefit.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sounds great and I didn't know this.

So is this right?

Any game running unlocked framerate and or dynamic resolution will get a nice bump. So resolution will be higher toward the ceiling resolution and frame rate will climb as well.

I've heard PSSR is easy to implement as well. That's a lot of games that will benefit.

You've got to be pretty clownish to not go back and put PSSR into every game you've developed that uses FSR, Checkerboard, or other upscaling techniques assuming they were developed to be modular and can be disabled.

At worst, I'd like to see all of these games get PSSR enabled and dynamic resolution or unlocked frame rates enabled.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

who still play old games?

Screenshot_2020_05_29_at_15.45.50.png

sachos

I wonder if it is a setting you have to turn on like you had to with the PS4 Pro.
Cant wait for DF to finally get this thing and start testing some games. 4 weeks left assuming the review embargo lifts 1 week prior.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I think most of us were focused on PSSR rather than the simple GPU boost of unpatched games.

Another thing we haven't considered is if the PS5 Pro Boost mode will overclock the CPU on unpatched games. I would guess it wouldn't.
I actually didn't realise the CPU in the PS5 Pro was different to the PS5's CPU. Do you have a link on the info?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Cant wait for DF to finally get this thing and start testing some games. 4 weeks left assuming the review embargo lifts 1 week prior.

They're going to farm PS5 Pro content for MONTHS

I actually didn't realise the CPU in the PS5 Pro was different to the PS5's CPU. Do you have a link on the info?

Same CPU, it can overclock 10%

While Sony is improving the GPU side of the PS5 Pro, the CPU will be the same as the standard PS5 but with a new mode that clocks it higher. “Trinity has a mode that targets 3.85GHz CPU frequency,” says Sony in a document to developers. That’s around 10 percent more than the regular PS5. Sony will offer developers the ability to pick between a “standard mode” at 3.5GHz or the “high CPU frequency mode” at 3.85GHz.

ZehDon

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Ah I see. If Developers need to target a specific mode to access the higher clocks, then it can't apply to standard PS5 titles. They'll need to be patched to use the new mode as a PS5 Pro supported title, so the PS5 Boost Mode won't apply.

It may also benefit from increased bandwidth.

Like I said, my guess is it wouldn't, but it'll be interesting to see what if anything Sony does to system level management, which could have results on PS4 and PS5 games.

I'm pretty sure devs will have to elect to patch games, but when it comes to patching games, they have to not only see a financial potential in doing so but also not want to knee cap potential future remasters/remakes.

I think every game should be patched, not only are you patching it for PS5 Pro, but you're patching it for PS6.

I'm actually surprised that more games are PS5 Pro ready on day 1 and I'm disappointed that so many performance modes not only strip out resolution but IQ features as well, so even if we could run games in performance mode under boost, we won't necessarily get fully fidelity, even if the system could run it, simply because those features aren't there, just dynamic res.

What we'll need to see if fidelity modes patched and not just patched to uncap framerates, but to include PSSR instead of whatever upscaling tech that was used.

ZehDon

... I'm pretty sure devs will have to elect to patch games, but when it comes to patching games, they have to not only see a financial potential in doing so but also not want to knee cap potential future remasters/remakes...
Well, we have an example of that approach from Sony already. Sony offloaded PSVR2 backwards compatibility to developers, where PSVR titles had to be patched into PS5 versions to run on PSVR2. And most developers didn't bother. Messing with the CPU clocks for potential gains requires a massive amount of testing - which is why Microsoft had an entire team for its backwards compatibility, and even then had to patch in support basically on a per-title basis. I can't see Sony doing much, to be honest. Heck, they barely showed off their own Pro console - it was down to DF and others to really show us that, hey, these differences are actually pretty noticeable!

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Well, we have an example of that approach from Sony already. Sony offloaded PSVR2 backwards compatibility to developers, where PSVR titles had to be patched into PS5 versions to run on PSVR2. And most developers didn't bother. Messing with the CPU clocks for potential gains requires a massive amount of testing - which is why Microsoft had an entire team for its backwards compatibility, and even then had to patch in support basically on a per-title basis. I can't see Sony doing much, to be honest. Heck, they barely showed off their own Pro console - it was down to DF and others to really show us that, hey, these differences are actually pretty noticeable!

Sony also implemented system-wide VRR...

All I'm saying is Sony could implement a toggle for it.

Sometimes it's best to let the games speak for themselves. Sony having their own marketing video breaking down frame rates isn't a great idea.

kevboard

Elden Ring is locked 60 99% of the time, non issue. And no one is going to buy a PS5 Pro to still play the PS4 version anyway.

85% at most. it drops a lot in some spots. and due to PS4 games not supporting VRR at all (which is ridiculous tbh) every single drop is instantly noticeable

brenobnfm

85% at most. it drops a lot in some spots. and due to PS4 games not supporting VRR at all (which is ridiculous tbh) every single drop is instantly noticeable

That wasn't my experience at all and never heard anyone say anything like this, and i instantly notice when the PS5 version drops to low 50s even with VRR, but anyway, i doubt anyone buying a PS5 Pro will want to play the PS4 version of that game, it should at least lock the PS5 version at 60 on performance mode.

awwr999999

Neo Member
I wonder if it is a setting you have to turn on like you had to with the PS4 Pro.
On the PS4 Pro you turn that switch once at a system level and playing game after game there are no noticeable changes or improvements.
Entirely likely that's exactly what the PS5 Pro will end up doing.

Last edited:

kevboard

That wasn't my experience at all and never heard anyone say anything like this, and i instantly notice when the PS5 version drops to low 50s even with VRR, but anyway, i doubt anyone buying a PS5 Pro will want to play the PS4 version of that game, it should at least lock the PS5 version at 60 on performance mode.

any time you look directly in the direction of a lot of foliage the PS4 version drops noticeably below 60fps.
if PS4 versions supported VRR, it would probably be not noticeable, but since they don't it is very noticeably dropping frames in certain spots.

brenobnfm

any time you look directly in the direction of a lot of foliage the PS4 version drops noticeably below 60fps.
if PS4 versions supported VRR, it would probably be not noticeable, but since they don't it is very noticeably dropping frames in certain spots.

Nope, that does not happen with the PS4 version on PS5, it can drop here and there with some particle and effects heavy powers, especially big bosses on the DLC, but nothing like you're describing.

Solarstrike

Internet and/or power goes out. All you have is a generator, a PS5 Pro, sweet 65 inch OLED, bunch of PS4/PS5 disc games, and stash of munchies and drinks to last through a winter.

SONY: "Sell the disc drive separately"
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

Kotaro

Sony will do all the stupidest shit; PS5 Pro, Concord; Horizon Remastered, etc; and still don’t bother with Bloodborne Remastered or Sequel :messenger_angry: :messenger_angry: :messenger_angry:

Stu_Hart

It sounds cool, but it's something the ps4 pro can do back in the day. There are games that are just unoptimised no matter what. It is not going to magically save those games, and there are games that are cpu limited, and we all know that the ps5 pro uses the same cpu...

dano1

A Sheep
It sounds cool, but it's something the ps4 pro can do back in the day. There are games that are just unoptimised no matter what. It is not going to magically save those games, and there are games that are cpu limited, and we all know that the ps5 pro uses the same cpu...
Are you trying to sound smarter than Mark Cerny?

Top Bottom