• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's hardware team has been pretty busy the last 2 years when you think about it

diffusionx

Gold Member
All those devices low key suck tho
Dual sense Edge: overpriced and you cant even buy replacement sticks (they've been OOS on PS Direct for months)
PSVR2: nobody cares
PS5 Slim: ugly and not even that slim
PlayStation Portal: a Dual Sense cut in half with a screen in between, doesn't even run at 60fps so you get judder

PS5 Pro: hopefully it's actually good.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
STAND NOT INCLUDED!

empJSoiR4VebnGpmWWavVQ.jpg

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dual sense Edge: overpriced and you cant even buy replacement sticks (they've been OOS on PS Direct for months)
PlayStation Portal: a Dual Sense cut in half with a screen in between, doesn't even run at 60fps so you get judder

law and order crazy shit GIF

LMJ

YOU don't care lol if Sony didn't they wouldn't have had PSVR games on nearly every State of Play
talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

Sold out of it's initial release and clearly has an audience
Reports seem good thus far

Outside of your personal opinion, seems that the OP had a point, Sony HAS been busy harware wise, now hopefully they pass that work ethic to their game studios lol

Jumping Wake Up GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

SweetTooth

Gold Member

You couldn't be more wrong in lots of your points and the world disagrees with you, but what actually funny to me is a guy with Pikachu avatar (likely using Nintendo low end toys) assessing a higher ends products 🤣

Fess

I think it's fine, as long as it's balanced well.

PSSR should do the heavy lifting for the handheld. PS6 games can still look next gen while PS6 Handheld looks scaled down considerably
It’s fine as long as there isn’t a mandate that games has to run on the handheld. Otherwise it’ll just be another Series S situation.
Steam Deck doesn’t affect PC gaming. That’s how it needs to be done. I’m okay with upgrading to a better version if there is a minimum requirement that says it’s needed.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Sony doesn't even sell the PSVR2 accessories like controllers separately, so you're on your own after you're out of warranty

Pretty much dumped the hardware to PC after they gave up on it

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It’s fine as long as there isn’t a mandate that games has to run on the handheld. Otherwise it’ll just be another Series S situation.
Steam Deck doesn’t affect PC gaming. That’s how it needs to be done. I’m okay with upgrading to a better version if there is a minimum requirement that says it’s needed.

But aren’t most “next gen” newly released games compatible on steam deck?

pasterpl

YOU don't care lol if Sony didn't they wouldn't have had PSVR games on nearly every State of Play
It sold well when it launched (and enthusiasts bought it), then in q4 of 2024 sales started to slow down (drop of 50% vs q1 2023) and apparently they have paused production around march 2024 until the already produced stock sales, it was taking too long so they cut prices by 200USD and it then started to sell out(probably at loss to Sony), so they are probably already back to manufacturing it but at smaller scale.

Fess

But aren’t most “next gen” newly released games compatible on steam deck?
It varies, and that’s how it should be imo. Black Myth isn’t Steam Deck Verified, and Horizon Forbidden West, Hellblade 2, Starfield, Returnal. Just a quick glance at my library here.
Games can still be playable, I’ve played some Starfield, okay for building ships and for some A-B quests but not for shooting.

I think as long as developers aren’t forced to make their games run on a handheld, or otherwise weaker cheaper SKU, there is no negatives. With Steam Deck devs often use it as a later secondary PR thing, posting the Steam Deck Verified ☑️ update on X.

Klosshufvud

Does that have better support and is more powerful? I’m not really up to date on the handhelds
The Ally X uses a way superior CPU (Zen 4 8c vs Zen 2 4c) and a proper RDNA3 iGPU over RDNA with more CUs and faster RAM.
But the biggest advantage is you can push wattage higher than Deck, 20W Rog Ally is a monster. And you can pull it off due to big battery and good fans. Throw in some AMFG2 supported at driver level, it is an exceptional handheld.

Lambogenie

Should've made a legit Switch/Steam deck clone. Portal is just wasted resource completely. I still think there is room for handheld proper.

Fess

The Ally X uses a way superior CPU (Zen 4 8c vs Zen 2 4c) and a proper RDNA3 iGPU over RDNA with more CUs and faster RAM.
But the biggest advantage is you can push wattage higher than Deck, 20W Rog Ally is a monster. And you can pull it off due to big battery and good fans. Throw in some AMFG2 supported at driver level, it is an exceptional handheld.
I have no experience in it myself but in reviews the Ally always lose to Steam Deck when it comes to ease of use because of Windows 11 and being on a small handheld screen.
But Steam OS is coming, right?
Steam Deck feels 100% like a console because of the OS and it’s simplistic perfection, great fit for a handheld. Just need external launcher support.

SHA

Well, that threatens the future of shrinking.

Synastry

Playstation hardware team is the only one trying out of the big three. Yup

What has MS innovated since Series launch? Colorful controllers? - Well there putting there exclusive games on PlayStation that's pretty innovated.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

What has Nintendo innovated since releasing a decade old handheld? Labo? - Well wait I know I wrote it down somewhere? :messenger_pensive:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have no experience in it myself but in reviews the Ally always lose to Steam Deck when it comes to ease of use because of Windows 11 and being on a small handheld screen.
But Steam OS is coming, right?
Steam Deck feels 100% like a console because of the OS and it’s simplistic perfection, great fit for a handheld. Just need external launcher support.
Agreed. I will also keep buying their products as long as they keep the classic console generation mentality (do not release a new generation until the hardware jump is great enough) and most of all as long as they invest in Proton and thus the whole OSS ecosystem.

In a way Valve is doing the Lord’s work here, SteamOS on the Deck is very well supported / evolved and they have a wonderful launcher (best in class by a mile) getting a huge mileage out of their HW. Their investment in Proton is benefiting an entire ecosystem.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Fess

Agreed. I will also keep buying their products as long as they keep the classic console generation mentality (do not release a new generation until the hardware jump is great enough) and most of all as long as they invest in Proton and thus the whole OSS ecosystem.

In a way Valve is doing the Lord’s work here, SteamOS on the Deck is very well supported / evolved and they have a wonderful launcher (best in class by a mile) getting a huge mileage out of their HW. Their investment in Proton is benefiting an entire ecosystem.
Yeah SteamOS is perfect for this space. I understand that Ally has some specific UI you can use too but it’s clearly not at the same level as Steam Deck.

Valve just need to ease up on the closed garden approach. I’m usually okay with using Steam but there are occasions where I feel restricted. Microsoft is rumoured to try something but they work so slowly that it’s better to hope that Valve open up Steam instead.

Someone tested Steam OS on the Ally and it showed big performance gains and battery life increased too.

Gaming performance comparison
GameSettingsTDPAsus ROG Ally X (Windows 11)Asus ROG Ally X (SteamOS)
Cyberpunk 20771080p medium preset with AMD FSRPerformance mode (15-17W)36 FPS42 FPS
Tetris Effect 1080p medium - 120% scalingSilent mode (13W)46 FPS61 FPS
Forza Horizon 51080p high preset with AMD FSRTurbo mode (25-30W)53 FPS59 FPS

It’s just too bad I’m not compatible with Linux. The simplest things can be super frustrating. Feels like eating with chopsticks, I’m sure it’s great if you grew up with it but please give me a fork or a spoon.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely, pretty hit or miss though. Mostly misses I’d wager. Although I keep hearing Portal was a huge success, but I’ve never seen any actual sales numbers for it. I have a hard time believing even 10% of the Ps5 user-base owns one.

But successful or not it’s fun to see them invest and try things out. I always love new hardware gadgets.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah SteamOS is perfect for this space. I understand that Ally has some specific UI you can use too but it’s clearly not at the same level as Steam Deck.

Valve just need to ease up on the closed garden approach. I’m usually okay with using Steam but there are occasions where I feel restricted. Microsoft is rumoured to try something but they work so slowly that it’s better to hope that Valve open up Steam instead.

Someone tested Steam OS on the Ally and it showed big performance gains and battery life increased too.

Gaming performance comparison
GameSettingsTDPAsus ROG Ally X (Windows 11)Asus ROG Ally X (SteamOS)
Cyberpunk 20771080p medium preset with AMD FSRPerformance mode (15-17W)36 FPS42 FPS
Tetris Effect 1080p medium - 120% scalingSilent mode (13W)46 FPS61 FPS
Forza Horizon 51080p high preset with AMD FSRTurbo mode (25-30W)53 FPS59 FPS

It’s just too bad I’m not compatible with Linux. The simplest things can be super frustrating. Feels like eating with chopsticks, I’m sure it’s great if you grew up with it but please give me a fork or a spoon.
I understand, but I think as consumers toughening up, helping each other, and digging in the Linux scary thing could be good if you have a company also backing it up (hopefully more).

It is clear that the quality of Windows is dropping year by year (see latest issues for multiple generation of Ryzen cores getting 15-20% performance gains with the latest Windows 11 update).
I think the Windows ecosystem needs a kick up the arse and I am willing to restrict myself with non Windows consoles. I am part of the market willing to pay for those that invest time in supporting this niche and especially products like Proton that help bridge this gap (and incidentally help kill the stutter issue in PC games too, see Steam Deck’s shader caching updates for games thanks to all games going through Proton, HW being standardised, and Valve having the telemetry they need).

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
DualSense Edge: January 2023

PSVR2: February 2023

PS5 Slim: November 2023

PlayStation Portal: November 2023

PS5 Pro: November 2024

Sony is the only company in the industry pushing hardware across the board, but they constantly get criticism...

I think there is fair criticism and unfair criticism. The criticism that Sony get is largely unwarranted, while they don't get criticized enough for what is warranted.

For example I think some of the hardware has been a bit half-assed, especially out of the gate. PS5 Slim doesn't have integrated PS Link and there is no confirmation whether the PS5 Pro does either, so it's almost certain that it doesn't. Sony rushed out the Pulse Elite and explore headphones. They probably should have released version 2s this year, but nothing is announced, making me wonder if Audeze is having problems ramping up production while maintaining quality.

PS Portal should have supported 60hz... they should have tested out an OLED model for the 30th-anniversary edition and maintained that if sales allowed.

They should have released PS5 30th anniversary edition covers for PS5 and PS5 Slim.

They're going to release a handheld console, and they'll be the only company with a handheld, console (and a midgen refresh), and VR headset...The PS Portal will probably still get updated to work via a cloud library.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Will their next project be the PS6 or will they do a Pro slim or super slim?

Maybe they'll do a handheld device.

Lots of questions swirling around the handheld. It definitely coming, but whether it will be a PS5 family device or a PS6 family device is entirely uncertain. Based on the info MLID reported, it seemed like it would be a PS5 family device, so the release schedule would be either next year or the year after that.

It'll be interesting to see whether PS5 Pro uses 6nm or 5nm and whether Sony will eventually release a 5nm PS5 Super Slim. It would be fitting to release a super slim for the GTA6 rush if it could deliver considerable cost savings at scale, especially if the PS5 has 4 years left in its active life cycle before becoming an entry level gaming device once the PS6 launches.

Their next project could also be wireless PSVR2. There was the image that leaked showing a PSVR2 charging icon that was not the left and right sense controller icons. Could have been a graphic design error, but that doesn't add up. I had speculated before that image that Sony might want to release a wireless PSVR2 rather than wait for the PSVR3 and fall behind further on that market.

February 2025 will be the 2 year market for PSVR2 and if it gets another round of heavy discounts this holiday, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new revision next year, especially with the PS5 Pro being WiFi 7. It also makes sense that a PS5 slim revision model or super slim would incorporate WiFi 7 as well.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
PS6 is already in development. 2 SOC contract for AMD

Likely a handheld + console

Let's hope not.

I still think a handheld is coming out before the PS6.

For the two SOC contract for AMD for PS6, they might simply be looking at releasing a Pro at launch. I could see them releasing a Pro that simply has a beefier GPU, particularly more tensor core equivalents than the base model, but everything else is the same including the CPU.

The mandate isn't what got the Series S in trouble. It was the mandate combined with the disparate hardware configuration, particularly the differences in memory.

XSX has 16 gb of ram vs the XSS with 10, ultimately there is a 5.5 gb difference for games. The Series S has significantly less memory bandwidth and more narrow memory bus. This is what has gimped the Series S more than anything. Otherwise, all you would have to do is lower the resolution on the XSS and you'd have a perfectly functional and scalable console.

Sony doesn't even sell the PSVR2 accessories like controllers separately, so you're on your own after you're out of warranty

Pretty much dumped the hardware to PC after they gave up on it

What suggests they've given up on it?

Playstation hardware team is the only one trying out of the big three.

What has MS innovated since Series launch? Colorful controllers?

What has Nintendo innovated since releasing a decade old handheld? Labo?

Exactly. Don't forget Steam either. Their big innovation? An OLED model of the steam deck.

I really don't get how all these companies get away with delivering nothing new on hardware and yet it is Sony that takes the licks. I do want Sony to be better and wish these companies pushed Sony to be better, but the only one pushing anything is Sony right now.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
What suggests they've given up on it?

Sony will never win for some posters here, they are the same posters who yells in anger everytime Sony announce a PSVR game at SoP and yet create threads about how Sony abandoned VR!

The fact is:

Portal: fantastic and great idea that found success.
Dualsense Edge: Impressive integration with PS5 UI and premium product (never went back to Dualsense after using Edge)
Slim: a natural tradition that Sony does to all their devices (smaller and slimmer) while keeping all functionality of OG HW.
PRO: a high end product for enthusiasts who wanted to get most of this Playstation generation and a test bed to PS6 future tech.
PSVR2: Taking the industry to a new dimension, and you have to thank Sony for being the only one of the big three who invest in this area whether you like it or not. tbh I don't blame them if they stopped this initiative altogether.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sony will never win for some posters here, they are the same posters who yells in anger everytime Sony announce a PSVR game at SoP and yet create threads about how Sony abandoned VR!

The fact is:

Portal: fantastic and great idea that found success.
Dualsense Edge: Impressive integration with PS5 UI and premium product (never went back to Dualsense after using Edge)
Slim: a natural tradition that Sony does to all their devices (smaller and slimmer) while keeping all functionality of OG HW.
PRO: a high end product for enthusiasts who wanted to get most of this Playstation generation and a test bed to PS6 future tech.
PSVR2: Taking the industry to a new dimension, and you have to thank Sony for being the only one of the big three who invest in this area whether you like it or not. tbh I don't blame them if they stopped this initiative altogether.

Like I said, I think there are legitimate complaints to be had with nearly all of these products.

Portal - should support 60hz, should have been updated with cloud support by now or at least had a roadmap announced, an OLED model seems like a no-brainer, they probably could have done more to deliver more stable wifi connection with it and that's probably why they haven't touched cloud

Dual sense edge - probably should have bad 4 back buttons, better battery

Slim - should have had a better horizontal stand, should have had integrated PS Link

Pro - probably doesn't have PS Link, maybe slightly more GPU power would have been nice at the expense of some margin, sony probably could have built in some good will by delivering PS1-3 emulation

PSVR2 - Sony had a bad bet on this not being wireless and they had a bad bet on the fresnel lenses. Their choice of not having Bluetooth pair with the headset was probably the right choice, but not a choice that makes things easier on PC and the lack of replacement sense controllers is going to be a problem, unless sony is out there replacing them at cost out of warranty.

vivftp

Yes they've been doing a good job this gen, especially with the introduction of premium accessories. So far this gen I have picked up:

PS5 disc edition
an extra DualSense
DualSense Edge
PS Portal
PSVR2
Pulse 3D headset
Pulse Explore earbuds
DualSense charging dock
Sense charging dock

I did buy the InZone 7 headset, but I would've got the Pulse Elite if it was available at the time. I'm curious to see if they'll come out with an even higher end headset under Audeze.
On pre-order right now I've got the PS5 Pro and the 30th anniversary DualSense Edge

OP, you're missing some items over the past couple of years like the Pulse Explores, Pulse Elites, removable disc drive and the Access controller.

Ronin_7

Never go full retard.

Ronin_7

Yes they've been doing a good job this gen, especially with the introduction of premium accessories. So far this gen I have picked up:

PS5 disc edition
an extra DualSense
DualSense Edge
PS Portal
PSVR2
Pulse 3D headset
Pulse Explore earbuds
DualSense charging dock
Sense charging dock

I did buy the InZone 7 headset, but I would've got the Pulse Elite if it was available at the time. I'm curious to see if they'll come out with an even higher end headset under Audeze.
On pre-order right now I've got the PS5 Pro and the 30th anniversary DualSense Edge

OP, you're missing some items over the past couple of years like the Pulse Explores, Pulse Elites, removable disc drive and the Access controller.
Inzone line up has nothing to do with SIE.

It's a complete separate division within Sony.

Top Bottom