• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

I believe that the Jeb Bush camp are waiting for a return to moderation in 2016 weeding out the crazies now the groom him in 4 years as a more ''level'' headed guy weather you like him or not

The problem is none of these upcoming "leaders" of the GOP are actual moderates. Mitt Romney is the closest thing to a moderate leader that the GOP has, with very few potential moderate candidates being groomed since they've been largely pushed out of the party by the strong turn to the right in the past decade.

markatisu

A new POLITICO/George Washington University Battleground Poll reveals the prolonged nominating battle is taking a toll on the GOP candidates and finds the president’s standing significantly improved from late last year.

President Barack Obama’s approval rating is 53 percent, up 9 percentage points in four months. Matched up against his Republican opponents, he leads Mitt Romney by 10 points (53-43) and Rick Santorum by 11 (53-42). Even against a generic, unnamed Republican untarnished by attacks, Obama is up 5 percentage points. In November, he was tied.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73308.html

Not surprising

Its probably going to get much worse, unless Newt and Rick drop out after Tuesday they are going to continue tearing down Romney. That only works to Obama's advantage because Mitt's response to this is just to spend more money on ads but not really solving the problem he has with his flip flopping, past record as Gov, or being really awkward with people.

politico_GWB_01.jpg

A new POLITICO/George Washington University Battleground Poll reveals the prolonged nominating battle is taking a toll on the GOP candidates and finds the president’s standing significantly improved from late last year.

President Barack Obama’s approval rating is 53 percent, up 9 percentage points in four months. Matched up against his Republican opponents, he leads Mitt Romney by 10 points (53-43) and Rick Santorum by 11 (53-42). Even against a generic, unnamed Republican untarnished by attacks, Obama is up 5 percentage points. In November, he was tied.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73308.html

Generic Republican fares better than Mitt or Santorum, LOL

They should put a dummy on the ballot instead

Good news in Nebraska (there's four words you don't see put together too often). Bob Kerrey, former senator and governor, is running for Ben Nelson's seat after initially declining.

This could have easily been a ploy so that the governor Dave Heinneman wouldn't run, as incumbents have a shorter filing period than non-incumbents in Nebraska. Still, I'm glad he's in, as it would have been Safe R without him. It's still an uphill battle, but he'd be a lot better than Ben Nelson, and he probably has just about as good a chance as Nelson did. There seems to be a miniature version of the national GOP primary happening there, where the race (being most likely to flip to the GOP) isn't really attracting that many heavy hitters, and both of the frontrunners have plenty of baggage.

With all this polling and demographic information out there, I am surprised no one like Pew has done a study on what the next generation of Republicans (ages 20-40) think about things. It would be very interesting. i would imagine much of it would just be parroting what the party line is, but I bet there are some interesting divergences.

Well, if anecdotal evidence among my college-aged conservative friends is any indication, look at Ron Paul. I fully expect the Republican Party will either reinvent itself as (or fall apart and be replaced by) a social liberal, fiscally conservative party over the next few decades.

Zzoram

There will be no social conservative party in the future. Both parties will be socially liberal, although they will continue to differ economically.

Until then, expect christians, particularly white ones, to go down in a ferocious blaze of glory since they sure won't give up the power they've held since the founding of America to unwashed masses of brown people without a fight.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Good news in Nebraska (there's four words you don't see put together too often). Bob Kerrey, former senator and governor, is running for Ben Nelson's seat after initially declining.

This could have easily been a ploy so that the governor Dave Heinneman wouldn't run, as incumbents have a shorter filing period than non-incumbents in Nebraska. Still, I'm glad he's in, as it would have been Safe R without him. It's still an uphill battle, but he'd be a lot better than Ben Nelson, and he probably has just about as good a chance as Nelson did. There seems to be a miniature version of the national GOP primary happening there, where the race (being most likely to flip to the GOP) isn't really attracting that many heavy hitters, and both of the frontrunners have plenty of baggage.

I'm from Nebraska (and live in one of the top 5 best small towns to live in, according to Forbes, insert middle finger here))

Even before Kerrey offically announced that he was running, the attack ads were flooding the radio airwaves calling him a carpetbagger, quoting him supporting Obamacare, talking about how liberal he is, etc.

The two repubs are well-known politicians, but Omaha is as liberal as most midwest biggish cities, so who knows.

markatisu

But if he makes Romney win with less than 50%, they split delegates proportionally so Santorum ends up only slightly behind Romney in delegates, keeping the race going.

Even if Romney wins, a slim margin win will keep the narrative of "Romney can't close the deal" and "Romney has a swing state/midwest" problem going

Jackson50

Nate Silver on the subject: "Michigan looking a little more tossup-y and less lean-Romney-ish than it did last night."

https://twitter.com/#!/fivethirtyeight/status/174173669344559106

and this

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/02/sliver_of_santmentum.php

Edit: And this – https://twitter.com/#!/jonathanchait/status/174183801180798980
I am inclined towards noise as opposed to any palpable momentum for Santorum. The polls are flirting with similar point estimates. With such miniscule differences, the discrepancies are probably conditional on how the firm weighs the cohorts. Further, the other interesting aspect is Romney's likely lead in early voting. It should provide a moderate cushion on Tuesday should Santorum experience a slight increase in support.
Has Mittens' image with moderates bounced back any? Hopefully not.

The not-Romney flavor of the whatever saga is coming to a close. He's got this. Enough is enough; I want to see if Obama is truly prepared to deal with Romney in the face of a slower than anticipated recovery, soaring gas prices, middle east drama, and general election year Republican bullshit with a touch of SuperPACs.
th_siren.gif
Rasmussen said:
Monday, February 27, 2012

For the first time since late December 2011, Mitt Romney leads the president in a hypothetical 2012 matchup. Romney earns 45% of the vote, while the president attracts support from 43%. Romney holds a nine-point advantage among unaffiliated voters.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There will be no social conservative party in the future. Both parties will be socially liberal, although they will continue to differ economically.

Until then, expect christians, particularly white ones, to go down in a ferocious blaze of glory since they sure won't give up the power they've held since the founding of America to unwashed masses of brown people without a fight.

"unwashed brown people" are typically more religious than white people. If the conservative wing of the GOP can figure out how to actually make them vote with their religious beliefs instead of common sense (because, let's be honest, the republicans have almost never been about benefits for the poor, increasing healthcare coverage, etc.) than they will transform again. In fact, if possible, Democrats would then become the elite party with all high-end backers, while the Repubs would gain the poor, uneducated, under-employed etc catergories of voters.

Right now they already have a lot of that with poor evangelicals who vote against their own self-interests, but it would be much greater.

I don't think any of that will necessarily happen, but that is the only logical play that the GOP has left to keep relevance on a national stage.

markatisu

"unwashed brown people" are typically more religious than white people. If the conservative wing of the GOP can figure out how to actually make them vote with their religious beliefs instead of common sense (because, let's be honest, the republicans have almost never been about benefits for the poor, increasing healthcare coverage, etc.) than they will transform again. In fact, if possible, Democrats would then become the elite party with all high-end backers, while the Repubs would gain the poor, uneducated, under-employed etc catergories of voters.

Right now they already have a lot of that with poor evangelicals who vote against their own self-interests, but it would be much greater.

I don't think any of that will necessarily happen, but that is the only logical play that the GOP has left to keep relevance on a national stage.

Yeah I don't think they can though, since a majority of these religious voters they are trying to reach are of Democrat or lean Democrat due to immigration and social issues. They might have a strong belief in god but they have a stronger belief in feeding their families and getting the same rights and access to the same things others do. The GOP as a party is almost 100% against any of that (or at least due to the vocal nutjobs in the party that is the stigma they have)

Even when the GOP was able to get minorities to flip on the Democrats for something like Prop 8 they still voted Democrat for political office.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, Romney be straight up trollin now:

Mr. Romney’s Florida trip might have seemed like an odd, if confident, detour from states that will be voting on Tuesday. But Michigan has an ample share of Nascar fans. And the campaign hoped that images of Mr. Romney at the speedway would circulate widely through the Southern states that vote on March 6.

But the crowd initially booed Mr. Romney, who occasionally struck a discordant note, as when he approached a group of fans wearing plastic ponchos. “I like those fancy raincoats you bought,” he said. “Really sprung for the big bucks

ToxicAdam

On some level I enjoy Romney. Or at least the effect he has on people. Here is a guy who is completely comfortable being a rich guy. Which is a complete anathema to most liberals who feel like you should live in constant shame or embarrasment over whatever wealth you may have.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
On some level I enjoy Romney. Or at least the effect he has on people. Here is a guy who is completely comfortable being a rich guy. Which is a complete anathema to most liberals who feel like you should live in constant shame or embarrasment over whatever wealth you may have.

Looks like Romney's not the only one trolling tonight.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

It really does crack me up. I don't care that he makes what I do in a year in all of 3 days, or that he can't connect with poor people. His banter with people just makes me straight up giggle.

That raincoat quote is hilarious. In reality, people at the premiere NASCAR event waiting on the front lines are paying hundreds of dollars per ticket and are probably from out of town. These are other wealthy people that he is razzing, and even if they aren't, people are too uptight. :p

Give me a break. "Most liberals" don't hate the wealthy, just ill begotten wealth, an asymmetric system that creates obscene income disparity, and rich people who are so insulated by their wealth that they lack empathy for the average worker's plight (bootstrap syndrome). Romney is a poster child for that shit.

I find disappointing in watching atheists such as yourself who demean the economic teachings of Jesus Christ

Chichikov

What makes you say that Romney is completely comfortable being a rich guy?
The pink slip story?
The "I'm unemployed" comment?
When he said govenment employees make more than we does?
Seriously?
He repeatedly pretend or implied he's middle class.

Now I don't blame him, you have to do that to get elected in this country, because the whole "job creator" thing didn't really get into the electorate heads just yet, but let's not misrepresent reality.

Which is a complete anathema to most liberals who feel like you should live in constant shame or embarrasment over whatever wealth you may have.
Oh, you're just troll baiting.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Give me a break. "Most liberals" don't hate the wealthy, just ill begotten wealth, an asymmetric system that creates obscene income disparity, and rich people who are so insulated by their wealth that they lack empathy for the average worker's plight (bootstrap syndrome). Romney is a poster child for that shit.

He didn't say that they hate the wealthy, nor would I necessarily agree with the fact that Romney's wealth is ill-gotten, either. Although many liberals would disagree about that point.

I am an average worker and even I don't empathize with anyone else's plight. It is not limited to the wealthy, it only makes them look worse than average assholes.

He didn't say that they hate the wealthy, nor would I necessarily agree with the fact that Romney's wealth is ill-gotten, either. Although many liberals would disagree about that point.

I am an average worker and even I don't empathize with anyone else's plight. It is not limited to the wealthy, it only makes them look worse than average assholes.

I'm glad you speak for the average worker.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't. Not anywhere close, even.

I know what it's like to work 2 jobs to pay the bills, but I make it work, I don't expect wealthy people to do more to help me out. Others might feel like it is unfair, but I guess I don't see it that way.

Interesting that nobody is bringing up Romney's proposed tax plans that would end the ability for the 1% to use charitable donations as a tax write-off. Does this make him look better or worse?

I know what it's like to work 2 jobs to pay the bills, but I make it work, I don't expect wealthy people to do more to help me out. Others might feel like it is unfair, but I guess I don't see it that way.

How does any of that stop you from being empathetic for someone less fortunate than you?

thefro

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73329.html
http://thepage.time.com/2012/02/27/keystone-to-be-revisited/#more-281283

So the southern half of Keystone XL is getting built

The President welcomes today’s news that TransCanada plans to build a pipeline to bring crude oil from Cushing, Oklahoma, to the Gulf of Mexico. As the President made clear in January, we support the company’s interest in proceeding with this project, which will help address the bottleneck of oil in Cushing that has resulted in large part from increased domestic oil production, currently at an eight year high. Moving oil from the Midwest to the world-class, state-of-the-art refineries on the Gulf Coast will modernize our infrastructure, create jobs, and encourage American energy production. We look forward to working with TransCanada to ensure that it is built in a safe, responsible and timely manner, and we commit to take every step possible to expedite the necessary Federal permits.

They are waiting on them figuring out an alternate route in Nebraska to approve that segment.

I'm from Nebraska (and live in one of the top 5 best small towns to live in, according to Forbes, insert middle finger here))

Even before Kerrey offically announced that he was running, the attack ads were flooding the radio airwaves calling him a carpetbagger, quoting him supporting Obamacare, talking about how liberal he is, etc.

The two repubs are well-known politicians, but Omaha is as liberal as most midwest biggish cities, so who knows.
I'd still say it's Lean R, but that's better than Safe R. Kerrey is the only contender Democrats have, unless Chuck Hagel decided to become a Democrat.

ToxicAdam

I find disappointing in watching atheists such as yourself who demean the economic teachings of Jesus Christ

It's folly to ever state what Jesus stood for. He was in constant campaign mode and never had to govern. I'm sure supply-side Jesus would have came out if he were ever in power.

Chich said:
What makes you say that Romney is completely comfortable being a rich guy?

Because I think almost all of his 'gaffes' were just revelations of who he really is. Someone completely comfortable (and proud) of having money and access to money.

Now I don't blame him, you have to do that to get elected in this country, because the whole "job creator" thing didn't really get into the electorate heads just yet, but let's not misrepresent reality.

I don't think this 'pretend like I'm middle class' thing is working either. Pretty apparent based on Santorum's surge. Might as well embrace who you are and be comfortable, instead of walk on eggshels and make these awkward attempts at 'normalcy'.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Interesting that nobody is bringing up Romney's proposed tax plans that would end the ability for the 1% to use charitable donations as a tax write-off. Does this make him look better or worse?

His proposed tax plan also raises taxes on the poor and drastically lowers them for the top 1%.

Guys if you know any crazy relatives in Michigan who are just crazy enough to vote Santorum but still not sure, try to convince them to Santorumism please! Just for Tuesday :)

Puddles

Banned

You keep bringing up long-repudiated talking points. Are you Mitch McConnell?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
His proposed tax plan also raises taxes on the poor and drastically lowers them for the top 1%.

I thought he proposed 20% off current rate cuts for all, with removal of most deductions for the most wealthy, essentially forcing the wealthy to actually pay a fair rate of taxes. Perhaps I am wrong.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought he proposed 20% off current rate cuts for all, with removal of most deductions for the most wealthy, essentially forcing the wealthy to actually pay a fair rate of taxes. Perhaps I am wrong.

Not sure about his most recent (or when that was proposed)--I remember somebody posting charts on here recently about each candidate's tax plan and it had horizontal bars showing how it benefited each income group. The rich was extremely large.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not sure about his most recent (or when that was proposed)--I remember somebody posting charts on here recently about each candidate's tax plan and it had horizontal bars showing how it benefited each income group. The rich was extremely large.

Well, any tax increase or decrease will inordinately affect the wealthy.

But, I am pretty sure that he has proposed 20% cuts across the board, and by removing the various loopholes for the 1%, his plan was the only one that apparently didn't gut the entire taxbase, a la Santorum or Gingrich's plans.

lb0224cd20120223092727.jpg

"Politically conservative, artistically brilliant cartoons that speak to mainstream America. Available in more than 100 newspapers across the country."

Mmmhmm

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Obama is people friendly? Eh, he's almost as awkward as Romney.

I'm mad late, but LOL at your "Obama is an alien" jokes. Obama is easy to talk to whereas Romney is like a robot. This has been known for years now. It's old news.

Plinko

lb0224cd20120223092727.jpg

"Politically conservative, artistically brilliant cartoons that speak to mainstream America. Available in more than 100 newspapers across the country."

Mmmhmm

The artist forgot the part about the massive gap between the rich and the poor.

It angers me that people see the country this way in such a black-and-white manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom