• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

AP says Michigan exit poll sample consisted of about 25% early/absentee voters -- higher than most pollsters were assuming.

Not looking good for Santorum. For reference, PPP thought only 16% early voted.

The momentum definitely seems to have switched the last few days. Just as Santorum was starting to sink from the weight of all his crazy, Mittens closed out the final days very poorly.

He a) Had a subdued 1200 person campaign event in an empty football stadium. b). Repeated the widely mocked statement that the trees are the right height. c). Mentioned his wife owned several Cadilacs when trying to connect with the common man. d). Mocked NASCAR fans for wearing cheap raincoats. e). Said he knows little about NASCAR, but he knows a couple of NASCAR owners.

That's a lot of unforced errors in such a short-time right before a critical must-win primary. Romney really is a gafe machine. Even if Romney wins today and continues on to easily win the nomination, he's going to be a mess in the general. Mittens is a 2nd rate candidate who only looks good because he's surrounded by 3rd and 5th rate candidate in the Republican primary. But he's definitely starting to get exposed as a sub-par Presidential candidate.

He a) Had a subdued 1200 person campaign event in an empty football stadium. b). Repeated the widely mocked statement that the trees are the right height. c). Mentioned his wife owned several Cadilacs when trying to connect with the common man. d). Mocked NASCAR fans for wearing cheap raincoats. e). Said he knows little about NASCAR, but he knows a couple of NASCAR owners.

Also yesterday's claim of remembering a Michigan event that was before he was born.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reports are that there is very low turnout in Michigan today.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
While I've been on the "Obama can't be beaten" bandwagon for a couple years now, I too have to admit a little shock at just how fucking bad of a candidate Mittens is. I mean, WOW.

Averon

While I've been on the "Obama can't be beaten" bandwagon for a couple years now, I too have to admit a little shock at just how fucking bad of a candidate Mittens is. I mean, WOW.

It's easy to mask your failings when you're standing next to the likes of Gingrich and Santorum.

you're talking about a one term Governor (with a failed senate run) that got his ass kicked by John McCain and Mike Huckabee in 2008. This isn't a political genius we're looking at.

It's easy to mask your failings when you're standing next to the likes of Gingrich and Santorum.

this also

I never realized that he and Santorum have so much common ground. Maybe they really are destined to share the ticket.

actually Santorum had two successful runs at the senate before getting the boot. This is one full term more than mittens.

Keep in mind Mitt Romney spent a good chunk of his term out of state, preparing to run for president in the 08 elections, as well!
This is what always makes me laugh when Mitt tries to trot out his "I'm not a career politician!" line...it wasn't for lack of trying! He's just bad at running for office!

markatisu

Not this time. Santorum was going to win today's voters, but he still had to make up the huge lead Romney had in early votes. So lower turnout today might be very bad for Santorum.

Totally depends where the low turnout is, Santorums strength is in smaller cities and rural areas

If the lower turnout is in bigger cities like Detroit that only hurts Romney

Mike M

Nick N
Not gonna throw out any percentage predictions, but I think Romney will still win out in Michigan tonight, but with a margin so small that it may well be treated as though he lost given the advantages he had over Santorum.

markatisu

Not gonna throw out any percentage predictions, but I think Romney will still win out in Michigan tonight, but with a margin so small that it may well be treated as though he lost given the advantages he had over Santorum.

If Romney wins by anything less than 4-5 points it will be a bad day for him

Also I just saw it reported that GOP voting was down 10% but that Democrat/Independent voting was up over 2008, will be interesting to see how it plays out

GhaleonEB

Totally depends where the low turnout is, Santorums strength is in smaller cities and rural areas

If the lower turnout is in bigger cities like Detroit that only hurts Romney

Yeah Nate Silver has been on Twitter telling everyone to stop reading into the early data, since it can cut both ways.

FWIW, low turnout could also hurt Romney because it's been shown that his supporters are less enthusiastic than his opponents; low turnout corrosponds with places he ran well in. There's not enough to go on yet.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm loving these primaries, it's just so completely different to anything we see over here in the UK.

Didn't realise Michigan is Romney's home state, hope Santorum takes it for all the madness that will ensue.

I think Romney is going to eek by 2-3 percentages, but I'm hoping Santorum wins by that same margin just for the lolz. He does have the final days momentum.

Regardless of what happens, I think the low turn out should be the second biggest story today. The Republicans had SO much energy in the 2010 mid-terms elections. Now just a little over a year later, that energy seems almost completely sapped from the GOP base.

I'm kind of curious of the causes. Is it:
- The slowly improving economy is dulling the effects of Obama fear-mongering.
- The House GOP missteps embarrassing the base.
- The extremely weak GOP presidential field.

I guess it's probably a combination of all three, but I am curious which one was the most significant factor. It's just amazing how quickly the GOP enthusiasm free-falled after the mid-terms.

I think Romney is going to eek by 2-3 percentages, but I'm hoping Santorum wins by that same margin just for the lolz. He does have the final days momentum.

Regardless of what happens, I think the low turn out should be the second biggest story today. The Republicans had SO much energy in the 2010 mid-terms elections. Now just a little over a year later, that energy seems almost completely sapped from the GOP base.

I guess it's probably a combination of all three, but I am curious which one was the most significant factor. It's just amazing how quickly the GOP enthusiasm free-falled after the mid-terms.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's the field more than anything else. All three candidates are seriously damaged, have a lot of baggage, or both. The fact that there's STILL serious calls for an unknown candidate to swoop in this late says a LOT

markatisu

Yeah the polling I just saw said they estimated GOP voting was down from 69% in 2008 to ~55%, so much for voter enthusiasm

Also Nate Silver twittered

Michigan Crossover Turnout Appears Higher Than Expected

Let chaos ensue lol

Is he really gonna bring it like this all the time in 2012? Because if so......WHOA!

Looking forward to see Obama slaughter the eventual nominee. It's one thing when they're safe in their own debates spewing whatever vitriolic shit they feel like with no opposition. It's quite another in the general when the guy has to face Obama and back up baseless accusation with fact.

Looking forward to see Obama slaughter the eventual nominee. It's one thing when they're safe in their own debates spewing whatever vitriolic shit they feel like with no opposition. It's quite another in the general when the guy has to face Obama and back up baseless accusation with fact.

That's the thing. televised debates can be as much emotional appeal and presentation as they are about facts.

unfortunately for this crowd, Obama can bring both, and none of the GOP contenders can really do either.

edit: I take that back. Gingrich is quite good at the emotional appeal bit when he's attacking the moderator.

I like how 3/4 'vital areas' are fear-mongering bullshit.

Also, why does anyone give a fuck about that that slimy, despicable, lying sloth Karl Rove thinks? He couldn't help the republicans last time. And thee isn't a shred of intelligence or insight in what he wrote there. It's the same 'ISLAMIC TERROR! IRAN!' tired attack line.

Oh, but I'm glad Rove made it crystal clear that Obama himself didn't personally kill Bin Laden in that article, and thus doesn't deserve the credit. I'm sure many Americans were confused about that issue. Just like when Rove was making the argument that Bush didn't personally kill Saddam and therefore didn't deserve cre- oh wait, that didn't happen.

Fucking scumbag.

markatisu

I like how 3/4 'vital areas' are fear-mongering bullshit.

Also, why does anyone give a fuck about that that slimy, despicable, lying sloth Karl Rove thinks? He couldn't help the republicans last time. And thee isn't a shred of intelligence or insight in what he wrote there. It's the same 'ISLAMIC TERROR! IRAN!' tired attack line.

Oh, but I'm glad Rove made it crystal clear that Obama himself didn't personally kill Bin Laden in that article, and thus doesn't deserve the credit. I'm sure many Americans were confused about that issue. Just like when Rove was making the argument that Bush didn't personally kill Saddam and therefore didn't deserve cre- oh wait, that didn't happen.

Fucking scumbag.

The thing is most people don't anymore. They associate Rove with Bush and Bush is still very toxic. It pisses Rove off and so he is going into overdrive to try and stay relevant

Hey guys,

Lets move all the primary discussion from here

b2KgF.jpg

and push it in here

x0yZ8.jpg

I'm not gonna do back and forth for primary lulz, and I'll be damned if I miss out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom