• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
haha @ manufactured scandal, but seriously taking it out of the political spectrum for a moment that really was just a straight up dick thing to say lol

poor cookie cooks were probably all red faced and disjointed, the dude they were voting for decided their cookies were beneath him

Romney is probably too used to paying world class chefs to make his cookies that he doesn't know what regular cookies taste like

Amir0x

Banned
maybe... chalk that up trees being the right height and liking the... water in Michigan... with Romneyisms I'll never understand

Personal attacks and a politics of resentment aren't going to do anything but turn independents off. Yes Romney is odd, everyone knows that. But attacking him and insinuating him being rich is a bad thing is a lose lose strategy.

gcubed

Personal attacks and a politics of resentment aren't going to do anything but turn independents off. Yes Romney is odd, everyone knows that. But attacking him and insinuating him being rich is a bad thing is a lose lose strategy.

I'm pretty sure its the equivalent of fox nation is it not? Its not a strategy

Chichikov

Why the hell would he say that? I mean, it's not some big issue or anything, but you have to be either a total prick or socially retarded to say that to someone.
My theory he meant it as a joking compliment, you know something like "those are so amazing, no way you made them yourself".
I think the 7eleven is just Romney trying to think of a place where normal people will buy cookies.

It's beyond silly anyway.

s7evn

My theory he meant it as a joking compliment, you know something like "those are so amazing, no way you made them yourself".
I think the 7eleven is just Romney trying to think of a place where normal people will buy cookies.

Exactly what I thought. Seems like he was just joking around, I don't see the big deal.

So Romney is trying to relate to common people by comparing their food with food from 7-11? In what world is that a good idea? 7-11 equals quality? Like you said, it's silly but Romney is a strange fellow.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So Romney is trying to relate to common people by comparing their food with food from 7-11? In what world is that a good idea? 7-11 equals quality? Like you said, it's silly but Romney is a strange fellow.

That's all this is, Romney trying to relate, and failing... again.

Allard

He needs to follow what the Daily Show said and stop trying to pretend he isn't anything but a rich guy with little in common with the everyday person. You know what he should do instead? Use his greatest asset, his money, to spur "Positive" word of mouth by giving some of his money to various charities in battle ground states that directly help poor and middle-class people. He is clearly too awkward and unrelatable from a culture perspective with most voters but if he can show that he is willing to actually help the ones he is looking for votes even if his policies are in direct confrontation with them, then some people might believe he 'could' be willing to stick out for their interests in the White House (I won't believe it but he might persuade others).

markatisu

Pretty much, besides his being for and against everything its this disconnect he has that is his biggest problem with voters.

Despite being so successful in business you have to wonder if he is just socially awkward. He says shit that either makes people get a stink face or nobody would think "yeah that was a great thing to say"

The problem with Rice is that she's a direct connection to the Bush administration, and I doubt Romney wants that

Being National Security Advisor when the nation was hit with its worst national security breach EVER is kind of a mark against her, IMHO.

And there is always the question about her personal life . . . .

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Being National Security Advisor when the nation was hit with its worst national security breach EVER is kind of a mark against her, IMHO.

LOL. Bush got re-elected under a platform of national security, despite allowing the worst terrorist attack in our history. Never put anything past our electorate.

Tim-E

Coooooold bloooooded

President Obama brought out the knives Wednesday, so to speak, by bringing up a spoon.

In a speech in which he stressed the need for education and opportunity, he contrasted his own life story with that of his likely GOP rival.

“I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Michelle wasn’t. Somebody gave us a chance. Just like these folks up here are looking for a chance.” Obama said.

Obama has been touting his economic and social vision for America — a plan that includes an emphasis on the Buffet Rule, which would require high-earning Americans to pay more in taxes — but the line was just as much a personal dig at Romney, who was born into privilege. Romney’s father, George Romney, ran the American Motors Company and eventually became governor of Michigan. One of Obama’s best attributes as a candidate, recent polls indicate, is his likeability, his empathy for the struggles of others and as having risen from a single-parent home to be president. And Obama knows he can wield that factor in his favor against Romney, who has made several wealth-related gaffes on the campaign trail.

That Romney happens to be wealthy is a gift that Obama isn’t likely to squander. But his and Michelle’s personal stories are also being used to push an economic and social vision for the country that is integral to his campaign: that society is about helping each other out, not going it alone.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...a-silver-spoon-in-my-mouth.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
But the silver spoon trait in Tropico 4 can be pretty useful. (Although Professor is better).

Speaking of Tropico 4; this character seem familiar to anyone?

d0nCzKlVBZ0iD.jpg

Character existed before (In Tropico 3) Herman Cain went to the top of the polls in the primary

So I saw this Romney Promotional Video today, it's so wow...downright terrible.

Youtube

So let me get this straight . . .
Bush & the GOP controlled everything from 2000 to 2006 and we got:
-Tax cuts
-Afghan war
-Medicare Part D
-More tax cuts
-The Iraq war
-Stimulus checks mailed to people

And now I'm supposed to vote for the GOP because they "Fiscally Responsible"?

C'mon. Seriously? Do they think we are that stupid?

(They know many people are that stupid. :-( )

Clevinger

-Tax cuts
-Afghan war
-Medicare Part D
-More tax cuts
-The Iraq war

Yes. And they're not exactly wrong. People assume Republicans are fiscally responsible because they've repeated the lie enough times loud enough. And it's the exact same thing as people thinking the media is too liberal.

edit: oops, didn't see the last line, lol

I am still surprised that someone of Romney's background has even a glimmer of a shot in this climate. Born into wealth and has demonstrated time and time again that he just cannot connect with the 'everyman' on a human level but somehow he understands what a normal family struggling to get by in this economy feels? And not the guy who did start out with very little and worked his way up to the highest office in the world?

I am still surprised that someone of Romney's background has even a glimmer of a shot in this climate. Born into wealth and has demonstrated time and time again that he just cannot connect with the 'everyman' on a human level but somehow he understands what a normal family struggling to get by in this economy feels? And not the guy who did start out with very little and worked his way up to the highest office in the world?

Its thanks to the Media's pursuit of false equivalency.

Romney calls Obama an elitist, jokes about him going to Harvard and Media reports it verbatim.

This isn't about Romney being rich.

This is about Romney being a fucking weird asshole.

There's a big difference.

-Tax cuts
-Afghan war
-Medicare Part D
-More tax cuts
-The Iraq war

I also like how this vid fills the checklist:

-Fear Mongering? Check
-Use of the Founding Fathers? Check
-Making Government look bad guy? Check
-Regulation tied to corruption? Deregulation ahoy while ignoring history. Check
-Utilizing bright imagery to show how beautiful America can be without government? Check
-Arguing that taxes and regulation go against the constitution? Check
-Calling those who agree "true Americans"? Check
-Use words that carry negative connotations, such as "manipulated"? Check
-Noting that Obama has "billions" of dollars supporting him while avoiding the money he has? Check
-Use of Religion to sell to voters, using words like "God-fearing"? Check
-Using subtle images of patriotism? Check
-Using family values? Check
-Skips quickly over Romney's negatives, such as "cutting spending... even though some people will be hurt in the process"? Check

One of the few checks that we are missing is unlimited military spending. Maybe next time.

GhaleonEB

If Obama keeps bitching, people will stop thinking that he is so likeable. Nobody likes a whiner.

That's not whining, it's defining his opponent on his own terms. I also has the benefit of being correct. Obama couldn't have picked a more better (worse) opponent for this cycle if he wanted to.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
That's not whining, it's defining his opponent on his own terms. I also has the benefit of being correct. Obama couldn't have picked a more better (worse) opponent for this cycle if he wanted to.
It goes both ways. Romney is seen as fiscally smart and a good executive. He can point to his time as a missionary or bishop as times when he connected on levels with the common man that Obama surely touts as a community organizer.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry may be out of this year's presidential race, but that doesn't mean he won't run again.

After speaking at a Plano Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Texas, Perry told the Dallas-Fort Worth CBS affiliate that he would give a possible 2016 presidential run "a good examination."

“2016 is way down the road, but I’ll assure you one thing: If I decide to run for the presidency in 2016, I’ll be way in before the summer of 2016 -- 2015, even,” Perry said. Perry waited until August of last year to announce his candidacy, a comparatively late entrance.
So even Rick Perry thinks Mitt is gonna lose.
Naw, he's just stupid and didn't realize what him saying that would imply.

http://www.democracycorps.com/strat...eground-and-ryan-budget-could-finish-the-job/

Every so often, Democracy Corps goes into an assortment of vulnerable House districts (occupied by either party) and extrapolates a national trend based on their findings. Their trip here went to 56 Republican-held districts and 23 Democratic-held districts.

Their key finding with regards to Democrats' messaging is that the Paul Ryan plan is extremely unpopular (the one that almost every Republican voted for) and that voters in these purple districts support raising taxes on the rich. Republican incumbents, on average, lead a generic Democratic opponent 49-43 - collectively, they won by an 11 point margin in 2010.

Obama on the other hand is becoming more popular and now leads Romney by 1 point in these districts (remember, 56 of them are held by Republicans, and the Democratic districts are also red districts held by blue dogs). The Democrats collectively perform much better than the Republicans as well.

I'm bullish about Democrats winning back the House but I'll admit I don't quite think they're there yet. They need to start pulling away from the Republicans on the generic ballot, which is more or less tied (BUT RASMUSSEN SAID THE GOP HAS A 10 POINT LEAD HERDERF RJELWLJEKWLKRE), and I'm sure that would happen in the summer. If conditions held to what they are now, I'd say they'd probably win about 15-20 seats or so, which is a good start. I'd personally like to see them win 35.

The main thing is this

ryan-plan-graph.png

Of course, that's also push polling, which doesn't always translate to actual results. Plus I'm sure Republicans will have plenty of ads on the airwaves about Democrats eating children, but team blue's got some good ammunition.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Huh? That is just by polling, not my personal opinion. The areas that he consistently polls best in are perceived economic qualifications and leadership quality.

Whether that is true is up to you.

Romney is seen neither as fiscally responsible nor as a good leader. He's a wet noodle that true conservatives hate, moderates despise, and liberals loathe. He's a perfect nothing candidate and should hopefully be the last robber baron the Republicans trout out there for another generation. I thought they learned their lesson -- only liberals will elect a 1%'er.

Amir0x

Banned

It's not about him being rich, necessarily. It's about him being disconnected with anything remotely considered the regular people of America, it's about his silver spoon disconnecting him from the ability to relate to voters. And that is a very real issue.

Most of our presidents have been rich. It's just that some rich people can relate to the issues people face, and others can't. Romney quite clearly can't.

American Parasite: Romney's Bain Represents Capitalism's Worst

Interesting article from SFgate on Romney and Bain and how they conducted business.

i do hope the "real" Mitt Romney is on display in the election. It would be nice for his ilk to be thoroughly rejected.

But I wouldn't ever count on it.
So all Obama has to do is talk to some people who worked at these various places and recount their stories during speeches and perhaps invite them to make videos for the campaign.

Jackson50

If i'm not mistaken non-white turnout has being going up steadily for each presidential election... to think it would regress is... poor planning
Yes. Since 1992 the non-white turnout has increased on average by 3% each cycle. Now, the pace abate slightly this cycle. But a reversal is unreasonable.
Aside from Israel actually attacking Iran at this point, because both sides have actually behaved as rational actors in practice thus far (and the only framework in which an attack would make any kind of sense is one in which one or both are irrational actors).
An attack would not be indicative of irrationality. Rather, it would be a product of uncertainty, opacity, and a predisposition to view actions as minatory. Actors may intend to act rationally, but they are bounded by cognitive biases and imperfect information. In this instance, Iran and Israel are already predisposed to antagonism because of a historical legacy which has engendered distrust. This only exacerbates the uncertainty inherent to international relations. Moreover, the lack of transparency and dialog compounds the distrust. Iran's an authoritarian state which is inherently opaque. And Israel has an atypical proclivity for obfuscation among democracies. Further, Israel and Iran do not communicate. And this paucity of communication only amplifies the opacity of the relationship. This is a prime environment for a seemingly innocuous occurrence to escalate promptly without warning. Although, I concur an attack is unlikely as the costs are probably prohibitive enough to constrain Israel. Thankfully.

Effect

It goes both ways. Romney is seen as fiscally smart and a good executive. He can point to his time as a missionary or bishop as times when he connected on levels with the common man that Obama surely touts as a community organizer.

Romney can't point to his time as a missionary or bishop because he doesn't want to talk about his Mormon faith as it's directly related. You can't talk about one without the other. He won't dare bring that up even though he shouldn't be afraid to. He can also only go so far in talking about his business experience because he'll have to explain what type of executive he really was and what he actually did. We got a hint of that from Newt. He's only a good business man because he claims to be. He's never proven it from what I can see by explaining what he did. He also won't dare talk about what he did as Governor. He's running away and attacking that already.

For all the talk from Republicans about how President Obama is running from his record (which he isn't. He has a lot to be proud of and talks about it all the time) they seem to the ones running around their records. Projection as always it seems.

No Savings Found in Florida Welfare Drug Tests
NYT said:
MIAMI — Ushered in amid promises that it would save taxpayers money and deter drug users, a Florida law requiring drug tests for people who seek welfare benefits resulted in no direct savings, snared few drug users and had no effect on the number of applications, according to recently released state data.

“Many states are considering following Florida’s example, and the new data from the state shows they shouldn’t,” said Derek Newton, communications director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, which sued the state last year to stop the testing and recently obtained the documents. “Not only is it unconstitutional and an invasion of privacy, but it doesn’t save money, as was proposed.”

This week, Georgia instituted a nearly identical law, with supporters saying it would foster greater personal responsibility and save money. As in Florida, the law is expected to draw a legal challenge. The Southern Center for Human Rights, based in Atlanta, said it expected to file a lawsuit once the law takes effect in the next several months. A number of other states are considering similar bills.

The Florida civil liberties group sued the state last year, arguing that the law constituted an “unreasonable search” by the government, a violation of the Fourth Amendment. In issuing a temporary injunction in October, Judge Mary S. Scriven of Federal District Court scolded lawmakers and said the law “appears likely to be deemed a constitutional infringement.”

From July through October in Florida — the four months when testing took place before Judge Scriven’s order — 2.6 percent of the state’s cash assistance applicants failed the drug test, or 108 of 4,086, according to the figures from the state obtained by the group. The most common reason was marijuana use. An additional 40 people canceled the tests without taking them.

Because the Florida law requires that applicants who pass the test be reimbursed for the cost, an average of $30, the cost to the state was $118,140. This is more than would have been paid out in benefits to the people who failed the test, Mr. Newton said.

As a result, the testing cost the government an extra $45,780, he said.

And the testing did not have the effect some predicted. An internal document about Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, caseloads stated that the drug testing policy, at least from July through September, did not lead to fewer cases.

“We saw no dampening effect on the caseload,” the document said.

But supporters of the law said four months of numbers did little to discredit an effort they said was based on common sense. Drug users, no matter their numbers, should not be allowed to use taxpayer money, they said.

“We had to stop allowing tax dollars for anybody to buy drugs with,” said State Representative Jimmie T. Smith, a Republican who sponsored the bill last year. Taxpayer savings also come in deterring those drug users who would otherwise apply for cash assistance but now think twice because of the law, some argued.

Chris Cinquemani, the vice president of the Foundation for Government Accountability, a Florida-based public policy group that advocates drug testing and recently made a presentation in Georgia, said more than saving money was at stake.

“The drug testing law was really meant to make sure that kids were protected,” he said, “that our money wasn’t going to addicts, that taxpayer generosity was being used on diapers and Wheaties and food and clothing.”

Florida’s governor, Rick Scott, who supported the measure last year, agreed.

“Governor Scott maintains his position that TANF dollars must be spent on TANF’s purposes — protecting children and getting people back to work,” said Jackie Schutz, the governor’s deputy press secretary.

Last month, Mr. Scott signed into law another drug testing measure, this one permitting state agencies to randomly test up to 10 percent of their employees. The tests can be conducted every 90 days and agencies can fire or discipline employees if they test positive for drugs.

The law, which the civil liberties group said it believes is unconstitutional, takes effect in July. The courts have largely upheld drug testing for workers with public safety jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom