• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does a president "grow the size of the financial sector"? What does that even mean? Now, you can argue that Bush's inactions were a root problem, but that's not how the initial argument was framed. This was about what Bush DID, not what he didn't do.

When was the economy strong? Bush mostly had an anemic/backsliding economy for his entire first term when those actions you listed were enacted.

What does "Iraq War on credit" mean? Was the Afghanistan War prepaid? All wars are engaged with deficit spending. How exactly did spending invisible money on a war exacerbate the collapse of the economy in 2008? Was this mythical mound of money somehow going to prevent it from happening?

It's amazing how quick some of us are to forget the Bush Admin. Wish there was a more polite way to put this, but I'm just not that interested in belaboring the obvious. Bullet points should be adequate at this point.

gcubed

--- // ---

Anyone else think that these SuperPACS have a chance to backfire? Negative ads are effective, but there comes a tipping point where if the ads go too far or are too numerous, they actually turn off the voter (either from the candidate or voting all together). In the past, a campaign has the ability to temper their message if they go too far, but with SuperPACS (supposedly) a crazy billionaire could just decide to flood the airwaves with crazy attack messages and no one can stop him if they backfire.

It depends. I understand negative ads backfire, will general attack ads backfire if there isn't a "Romney" tagline at the end? Thats going to be the telling point. It certainly could, and i think people are going to be pretty annoyed this year by the amount of advertising, which will be an increase from the insane amounts last presidential election. At some point i see superpacs going down the drain because they will have no restraint and the general public will become very hostile to them

ToxicAdam

It's amazing how quick some of us are to forget the Bush Admin. Wish there was a more polite way to put this, but I'm just not that interested in belaboring the obvious. Bullet points should be adequate at this point.

I agree, it is amazing how fast people can forget what happened during the Bush adminstration. You would need to state the obvious first before you belabour it. You have done nothing to even state an effective case. Just your typical parroting of a pedantic, comment section narrative.

Romney matches Obama fundraising at 40 million dollars to Obama's 43.1 million dollars.

That is bad news for O-camp with Dem donors shunning Super PACs and Rove group already on the air with negative ads containing false information.

Unemployment claims unchanged from last week.

Are they only running their ads on Fox News? Here in southwest Virginia, I expected to be bombarded by Romney and Pro-Romney Super PAC ads, and I've yet to see one. On the other hand, I've probably seen 15-20 Obama ads (dating back 2-3 weeks) during various primetime network shows as well as syndicated showings of "The Big Bang Theory"

I agree, it is amazing how fast people can forget what happened during the Bush adminstration. You would need to state the obvious first before you belabour it. You have done nothing to even state an effective case. Just your typical parroting of a pedantic, comment section narrative.

TA, you were arguing if the economy could even be regarded as 'strong' when Bush took office. What do you expect from me if even something like that is up in the air?

The obvious was stated.

It's funny how obtuse you're being considering your love for the free trade agreements Bush pushed on his watch.

ToxicAdam

It's funny how obtuse you're being considering your love for the free trade agreements Bush pushed on his watch.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

I have often decried free trade agreements (especially NAFTA) as helping gut America of it's manufacturing base. I lauded Bush for actually enacting tarriffs to help protect the steel industry when China was pretty clearly dumping at the turn of the century.

TA, you were arguing if the economy could even be regarded as 'strong' when Bush took office. What do you expect from me if even something like that is up in the air?

The obvious was stated.

What I said:

Bush mostly had an anemic/backsliding economy for his entire first term when those actions you listed were enacted.

So, again .. if you want to have a discussion, you should begin by stating your case and not twisting people's words around in an attempt to save face.

What I said:

Bush mostly had an anemic/backsliding economy for his entire first term when those actions you listed were enacted.

So, again .. if you want to have a discussion, you should begin by stating your case and not twisting people's words around in an attempt to save face.

There were indicators, and Bush ignored advice and still went ahead and kept interest rates low, cut taxes, etc which did nothing but make the crisis worse.

I don't really want to have a discussion, I know you are very well informed. I'm still kind of unsure how you would want a discussion on this topic. It's all out there, we've all spent enough time and energy on that shit.

ToxicAdam

There were indicators, and Bush ignored advice and still went ahead and kept interest rates low, cut taxes, etc which did nothing but make the crisis worse.

I still don't understand how tax cuts passed in 2001/2002 exacerbated the 2008 crash? Especially when Obama's response to the crisis (ARRA) was billions of dollars worth of more tax cuts.

As far as 'ignoring the advice' on interest rates ... whose advice? Guys like Roubini who were seen a fringe voices back in 2006? If anything, Bush followed the advice from the Fed and his financial advisors pretty much throughout his whole tenure. Even with TARP, which his hardcore base was pretty vehemently opposed to.

bush didn't "destroy the economy" any more than obama did. a billion factors went into this last recession, and it has been building up for many years.

bush DID contribute a huge amount to the debt issue that republicans are crying about this year. with the tax cuts, the two wars, and medicare part d, he and his party are much more responsible for the debt. obama came in at a time when federal spending was really necessary and when the tax base had shrunk a lot due to the recession.

so i think it is really unfair to blame obama for the debt or deficit, as republicans are wont to do, when the republicans did much more damage in that regard. i don't think any president should be blamed for economic disasters, he has almost no powers over the economy and there are so many other factors that we simply don't know about.

in fact, the only way bush "destroyed the economy" is if the right-wing argument that government debt "weakens confidence" in the marketplace is true . . . then by increasing the debt, the republicans under bush did indeed destroy the economy. but we all know that this argument is complete bullshit.

I still don't understand how tax cuts passed in 2001/2002 exacerbated the 2008 crash? Especially when Obama's response to the crisis (ARRA) was billions of dollars worth of more tax cuts.

As far as 'ignoring the advice' on interest rates ... whose advice? Guys like Roubini who were seen a fringe voices back in 2006? If anything, Bush followed the advice from the Fed and his financial advisors pretty much throughout his whole tenure. Even with TARP, which his hardcore base was pretty vehemently opposed to.

He ignored Greenspan.

The tax cuts did not spur investment, what it did do is add to the money hedge funds had to gamble with. The Bush Admin promoted speculation (energy of course, as well as housing 'ownership society').

Obama cutting taxes during a recession is quite different than the conditions when Bush took office.

ToxicAdam

He ignored Greenspan.

Bush ignored him on interest rates? I would be curious to see a link with that article. I know Greenspan advised him to rein in Congressional spending.

The tax cuts did not spur investment, what it did do is add to the money hedge funds had to gamble with. The Bush Admin promoted speculation (energy of course, as well as housing 'ownership society').

Tax cuts do not spur investment, yet it gave a huge wealth of money to investors to 'gamble with'? hahahaha. Jesus, I've never seen someone contradict themselves within the same sentence.

Every adminstration since WWII has promoted speculation and wanted an ownership society. It's intrinsic to the American Dream.

Obama cutting taxes during a recession is quite different than the conditions when Bush took office.

A good bulk of the Bush tax cuts were done in response to a recession. (2003 JGTRRA)

Tamanon

Banned
Man what the f*ck? How in the hell does the percent of blacks approving same sex marriage go up 25% (or 11 percentage points) solely due to Obama stating his opinion on the matter.

Jesus Christ man black people really really look up to and listen to Obama on key matters. That's unbelievable.

I think it wasn't even just the President changing his mind, but the fact that the conversation was back up and running in the public that pushed the numbers.

Man what the f*ck? How in the hell does the percent of blacks approving same sex marriage go up 25% (or 11 percentage points) solely due to Obama stating his opinion on the matter.

Jesus Christ man black people really really look up to and listen to Obama on key matters. That's unbelievable.
cant speak for american black voters (im canadian black) but id say alot were leaning on accepting gay marriage but didnt feel comfortable saying it in public.

The black people I know have basically responded by

1. "He had to, the gay militia forced his hand"
2. "I don't agree but he's still my president"
3. "Fuck that shit"

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The black people I know have basically responded by

1. "He had to, the gay militia forced his hand"
2. "I don't agree but he's still my president"
3. "Fuck that shit"

Where do you live? The blacks I associate with through work or business don't seem to mind one way or the other.

Where do you live? The blacks I associate with through work or business don't seem to mind one way or the other.

Michigan (Ypsilanti, near Ann Arbor). My family is pretty religious, and I work with a super religious black lady. My parents are big time Obama supporters, do functions, have contributed a lot of money etc...but both generally feel marriage is between a man and a woman; my mom spent part of Mother's Day preaching to my gay brother that it's not godly. The black lady I work with goes to one of the biggest black churches in the area and said most people are not happy at all, although most do plan to vote for Obama. She's on the fence and said she might stay home.

And the black young people....bleh. Lots of snark and general nasty comments about gay people. Even from young female friends of mine. Usually women seem more ok with gay folks than men do, but I've heard some crazy shit even from people I consider to be good friends.

I don't think it is unbelievable at all. While change begins from the ground up (organized people making vocal demands), it culminates with leaders and people in positions of power making pronouncements and/or institutionalizing the new norms. This tends to drag the as-yet on-board population along. Civil rights legislation was put in motion by organized citizens making demands and putting pressure on public officials, but integration and anti-racism did not become a norm until it was institutionalized from the top-down.

Obama's statements--even though there was nothing official about them--will sway more than just blacks. Humans are quite susceptible to being influenced by power. This is usually not helpful, but when the organized forces of progression break through to the top, the influence of power has its benefits.

I should also note that most of the black people I've talked kept bringing up the Civil Rights era, and their anger that gay activists have compared the two movements. I notice many black GAFers make similar arguments

The fact that so many people don't understand this utterly pisses me off beyond belief. Luckily I have a real life example that I can use if my dad or someone ever tries to deny this.

My wife had a job for a while at a grocery store in the part of the city where a lot of people use food stamps. She would tell me about how business would skyrocket on the day that people got those things, too. Without food stamps I very well doubt that grocery store would have been kept afloat. Pick N Save would have closed it down to concentrate on far more profitable stores. That one never did so well, but food stamps kept it going. So, without those poor "lazy" people having their food stamps, then my hard working wife would have been out of a job. All those people would have been out of a job. And that job helped a lot of those people out of needing food stamps.

You give money or benefits like that to the poor and they're going to use it. They have to use it. They're not going to sit around and not eat. That creates jobs for others to serve these things to them. That money doesn't just sit there with them. It does help people pick themselves out of poverty and work.

I also like when people declare the stimulus wasn't big enough, they keep acting like it was just giving money away. 40% of it was tax cuts. So if damn near half of it didn't stimulate anything, why are people continuing to scream that we need to keep taxes horribly low?

Grover Norquist tried this shit on Bill Maher the other night. I also can't stand the attitude of "Well, something didn't work, so fuck trying anything! Let's just let everything fall down!". I don't get it.

Michigan (Ypsilanti, near Ann Arbor). My family is pretty religious, and I work with a super religious black lady. My parents are big time Obama supporters, do functions, have contributed a lot of money etc...but both generally feel marriage is between a man and a woman; my mom spent part of Mother's Day preaching to my gay brother that it's not godly. The black lady I work with goes to one of the biggest black churches in the area and said most people are not happy at all, although most do plan to vote for Obama. She's on the fence and said she might stay home.

And the black young people....bleh. Lots of snark and general nasty comments about gay people. Even from young female friends of mine. Usually women seem more ok with gay folks than men do, but I've heard some crazy shit even from people I consider to be good friends.
If there wasn't a net negative effect on our society at large, I'd enjoy the irony in religious black people using the Bible to suppress other minorities in the same way whites used the Bible to suppress blacks in the slavery/Jim Crow eras.

SIGH.

My only hope is that the votes in MN, MD, ME, and WA fail, succeed, succeed, and succeed, respectively. For me, personally, I feel there's more at stake than the Obama v. Romney, Democrats v. Republicans bullshit. This is peoples' lives.

Tax cuts are a form of government spending. And they are stimulative. But the effectiveness of stimulus does depend on whom the government spends. Stimulus basically means increasing the financial assets available to be spent in the economy, which increases the demand for goods and services. But, for the reasons discussed by Nick Hanauer, putting money in the hands of rich people does not necessarily increase the demand for goods and services, because they may just stick it in a bank account. Their spending does not really go up and down depending upon whether there is a recession. It is the spending of people affected by the recession--the bottom half of the income distribution--that goes down during a recession, and it is this spending that requires a boost. This is why MMT economists supported the payroll tax cut--it is a regressive tax that when cut puts more money into the hands of people who will spend it.

Bush's tax cuts, because they spent so overwhelmingly on the rich, didn't really accomplish much in the way of economic stimulus. And they greatly increased income inequality, which does play a role in financial crises and economic instability.

We currently do not need tax increases on the middle class or poor. I am not opposed to raising taxes on the rich, but that is not to "solve" a non-existent budget problem. It is strictly to reduce income inequality.

Bicker about the small details all you want (which advice from Greenspan did he ignore heh), but you're on the wrong side of this one. If one day you feel like understanding this topic, there's plenty of empirical data out there, and the wisdom of the top economic thinkers of our time.

"Little value was placed on rigorous economic policy debate or the weighing of long-term consequences"
-Alan Greenspan, 2007

"When we look back someday at the catastrophe that was the Bush administration, we will think of many things: the tragedy of the Iraq war, the shame of Guantánamo and Abu Ghraib, the erosion of civil liberties. The damage done to the American economy does not make front-page headlines every day, but the repercussions will be felt beyond the lifetime of anyone reading this page."
-Joseph Stiglitz, 2007

That's odd. TPM says this:

The latest survey from the Democatic-leaning Public Policy Polling (PPP) shows that 27 percent of black voters in North Carolina now support the right of gay and lesbian couples to get married, while 59 percent are opposed.

That represents an 11-point change since PPP’s final poll before last week’s statewide vote on Amendment One, which was held a day before Obama’s much-publicized announcement. At that time, 20 percent of black voters were in favor of same-sex marriage, while 63 percent were opposed.

But the poll they actually link to says this:

55% of African-Americans believe same-sex couples should either be allowed to marry
or form civil unions, up 11 points from the last statewide same-sex marriage poll,
conducted May 6. In the pre-primary poll, a majority (51%) of African-Americans said
there should be no legal recognition of gay couples in North Carolina, but that number
has dropped to 39%.

Wonder how they screwed that up.

Tax cuts are a form of government spending. And they are stimulative. But the effectiveness of stimulus does depend on whom the government spends. Stimulus basically means increasing the financial assets available to be spent in the economy, which increases the demand for goods and services. But, for the reasons discussed by Nick Hanauer, putting money in the hands of rich people does not necessarily increase the demand for goods and services, because they may just stick it in a bank account. Their spending does not really go up and down depending upon whether there is a recession. It is the spending of people affected by the recession--the bottom half of the income distribution--that goes down during a recession, and it is this spending that requires a boost. This is why MMT economists supported the payroll tax cut--it is a regressive tax that when cut puts more money into the hands of people who will spend it.

Bush's tax cuts, because they spent so overwhelmingly on the rich, didn't really accomplish much in the way of economic stimulus. And they greatly increased income inequality, which does play a role in financial crises and economic instability.

We currently do not need tax increases on the middle class or poor. I am not opposed to raising taxes on the rich, but that is not to "solve" a non-existent budget problem. It is strictly to reduce income inequality.

That was pretty much what I would have wanted to say if I had time to type it out. I'm at work.

Putting money in the hands of the rich doesn't put it back into the economy, which is what needs stimulating. Putting money into the hands of the people who will put it back into the economy with things like food stamps etc, seems like a better deal for everyone instead of giving money to millionaires and billionaires who wold just sit on it anyway.

Tamanon

Banned
That's odd. TPM says this:

But the poll they actually link to says this:

Wonder how they screwed that up.

Look at the crosstabs. The difference is between "married" and "married or civil unions"

19% support marriage, 36% support civil unions. Adds up to 55%

Still, the numbers are a bit weird, as they ask the question several different ways and get different numbers on each.

"Our approach was to ALWAYS make the enterprise more successful"
Mitt Romney, just a moment ago, referring to Bain's purchases of companies.

I have a feeling that soundbite will be used in campaign commercials in the very near future

"I stand by what I said, whatever it was"
Mitt Romney, just a minute ago when asked about comments he made on the Hannity show saying Rev. Wright is fair game, yet he repudiates the Ricketts' ad strategy

Romney is a clown

If there wasn't a net negative effect on our society at large, I'd enjoy the irony in religious black people using the Bible to suppress other minorities in the same way whites used the Bible to suppress blacks in the slavery/Jim Crow eras.

SIGH.

My only hope is that the votes in MN, MD, ME, and WA fail, succeed, succeed, and succeed, respectively. For me, personally, I feel there's more at stake than the Obama v. Romney, Democrats v. Republicans bullshit. This is peoples' lives.

It seems clear republicans/conservatives are waging a long defeat on gay marriage. They lost some time ago, but will play their part and keep fighting until it's completely over. If Obama wins in November we'll be closer to that point than at any time in US history: Obama will have given the proverbial middle finger to the religious right, taken their best punch, and survived. Despite my general snark in this thread, I do hope that happens.

There will always be a section of the country who vehemently opposes gay marriage, but it'll dwindle over the next decade. The "gay agenda" or whatever you want to call it has been quite successful: homosexuality has been humanized in the minds of many young people thanks to media. I realize that term is controversial, but what has happened has basically been an impressive social revolution/marketing job. I would liken it to how music helped changed many white young people's minds about race relations in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Allard

That was pretty much what I would have wanted to say if I had time to type it out. I'm at work.

Putting money in the hands of the rich doesn't put it back into the economy, which is what needs stimulating. Putting money into the hands of the people who will put it back into the economy with things like food stamps etc, seems like a better deal for everyone instead of giving money to millionaires and billionaires who wold just sit on it anyway.

Yeah when people paraphrase the bush tax cuts as harmful to the economy its not that tax cuts themselves are intrinsically bad, its who or what the tax cuts are used on and they weighed heavily in a market that quite frankly didn't need to be leveraged (The rich) and it accelerated income inequality which has become a huge issue now after the 2008 recession.

If I had to say one thing though about Bush, he may not have personally enacted the policies that specifically caused our issues (Congress has control of the purse and a lot of the structural issues that we face today were enacted decades ago) but he certainly advocated for them damn near religiously and was one of the primary reason congress even brought them to the table.

Meanwhile a lot of the stuff Obama (And even Clinton) wanted to do got drowned out by the Republican party and even people within the Democratic party. They own what they sign, but I also don't specifically hold all the issues passed in their time against them UNLESS they specifically advocated for it to be passed. Just how I don't hold a grudge against Bush for what happened during Immigration Reform and a variety of other issues.

LOL

GOP relying on "obama is a celebrity" and now dragging Rev Wright's skeleton from 2008. They have nothing. PD is so screwed come november.

eznark

Banned
LOL

GOP relying on "obama is a celebrity" and now dragging Rev Wright's skeleton from 2008. They have nothing. PD is so screwed come november.

Yeah, can't believe they are reaching into the distant past like that. Next thing you know they'll start bringing up how Barry acted in high school.

Yeah, can't believe they are reaching into the distant past like that. Next thing you know they'll start bringing up how Barry acted in high school.

The high school thing was dumb, but it was both new (as a story), and over with in 48-72 hours. This is the same shit they used 4 years ago!

eznark

Banned
The high school thing was dumb, but it was both new (as a story), and over with in 48-72 hours. This is the same shit they used 4 years ago!

My point is that this is the retarded season. Everyone in every campaign is going to throw bullshit against the wall and see what sticks. Saying things like "omg this is all they have lol they fucked" in May is moronic.

If they are still only chipping away at nonsense in August then it is appropriate to laugh. At this point though, the thing is kind of out of Romney's hands. He just has to try and stay out of trouble and hope external factors sink Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom