• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One of these days people will come to understand causality. One of these days.

I'm sure the Obama campaign is planning to advance some claims about consecutive months of job growth or whatever.

Some claims? I don't think that's a good choice of words.

ToxicAdam

I honestly think Mass. like electing good looking white guys above all other qualifications.

A lot of elections come down to relatability of the candidates. Especially in close races. As much as people love Warren for her intellect and forthright nature, she doesn't really come across as warm and endearing.

I think part of it is the unfair catch 22 that female candidates have to navigate. We expect them to be dispassionate and logical, yet we want a candidate we can relate to. If you are too loud, you are shrill .. if you are too pushy, you are bitchy.

I think that's why Hillary received such a dramatic bump after she cried in 2008. She stopped being viewed as a conniving career woman and became a human. (Even though ironically, many accused her of staging it)

Neverfade

So a buddy of mine follows some fellow named Judge Andrew Napolitano on Facebook. he liked/commented on a link the guy posted the other day and it showed up in my feed. I checked it out, and morbid curiosity got to me so I had to check out the comments.

WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. Snapped this gem:

fB12Q.png

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Or maybe not,
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/24/6126053-trms-correspondence-with-politifact

I could see a point being made that she wasn't clear enough on the distinction between the $137 mil shorftall and $140 mil tax cuts in her original segment but she goes on to make an on air correction as well as to post these two correspondences with Politifact to further clear up any confusion. That hardly fits the accusation of "persistently and systematically manufactures its own facts, and accuses people who don't hew to their version of the facts of bias", esp. when you're reaching back 3 months for evidence of such.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm starting to think PD might be the real genius here. I think there's some deeply psychological stuff going on here, mostly related to "never get your hopes up," probably based on some terrible childhood trauma around Christmas or something similarly mundane to us, but extraordinarily disappointing to a child.

Only a genius could maintain this guise for so long -- and there's really no bad outcome for him. Either he's right and he knew it all along, or he's wrong, "and have I ever been more glad to be wrong."

I will tell you that reading him day after day and seeing some of the sausage (the pharma emails released today, the ugly day-to-day ads, the minutiae of daily messaging) kinda gets to me.

So a buddy of mine follows some fellow named Judge Andrew Napolitano on Facebook. he liked/commented on a link the guy posted the other day and it showed up in my feed. I checked it out, and morbid curiosity got to me so I had to check out the comments.

WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. Snapped this gem:

http://i.imgur.com/fB12Q.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

This guy is a piece of work. His feed shows that he is convinced Facebook blocked him from posting a clip of the Star-Spangled Banner (which he also recently listened to on Spotify). I tried posting it and had no issue but, then again, the government may not be in my computer yet.

Neverfade

This guy is a piece of work. His feed shows that he is convinced Facebook blocked him from posting a clip of the Star-Spangled Banner (which he also recently listened to on Spotify). I tried posting it and had no issue but, then again, the government may not be in my computer yet.

HAHAHA: "Two mysterious dog related deaths reported today. I smell another media fueled government investigation on dog ownership laws to strip and peel away a few more rights :-/"

Some claims? I don't think that's a good choice of words.
No, I think it's a perfect choice of words. The extent to which direct action by the administration is causally responsible for a rebound in private sector job growth is extremely limited. Even the extent to which he can be held responsible for the contraction in the public sector is limited by Congress (whose impact on private sector job growth, it should be mentioned, is also limited). Claiming causality (or "presiding over x months of private sector growth," if that's your preferred verbiage) is facile bullshit. Pox on all houses, etc.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Have we discussed those atrocious Crossroads "support the new majority agenda" ads yet? So fucking false an awful.

I love the notion that national debt causes job losses.
On the other hand, threatening to not pay your bills to score political points via the debt ceiling can cause job losses.

I love the notion that national debt causes job losses.
On the other hand, threatening to not pay your bills to score political points via the debt ceiling can cause job losses.

Not to mention they're 100% COMPLETELY LYING about the apparent tax increases. They are quoted in saying Obama has raised 18 different taxes, when in reality the majority of all americans have seen a decrease in their taxes. This only caters to people like my dad who makes over 250K a year. When he was doing his taxes he said "and thanks to Obama, this is what we owe..." And I just lol'd at him.

And the whole "Obamcare forcing people to partake in a government pool"...which is totally false as well :lol

Fuck Ham Rove.

No, I think it's a perfect choice of words. The extent to which direct action by the administration is causally responsible for a rebound in private sector job growth is extremely limited. Even the extent to which he can be held responsible for the contraction in the public sector is limited by Congress (whose impact on private sector job growth, it should be mentioned, is also limited). Claiming causality (or "presiding over x months of private sector growth," if that's your preferred verbiage) is facile bullshit. Pox on all houses, etc.

I strongly disagree that Congress + the President's ability to affect public sector job growth is limited. As the monopoly supplier of financial assets into the economy via the spending power, Congress + the President stand most responsible for the growth of jobs (or lack thereof) in the private sector via their power to influence aggregate demand. Now, that doesn't mean that the president, in isolation, is not limited. Or that the Congress, in isolation, is not limited. Per the constitution, both institutions are unfortunately needed to spend. It should accordingly be little surprise that political gridlock in Washington D.C. will cause the economy to suffer.

Design flaw.

GhaleonEB

Jobs report in the morning. Predictions?

I'll roll with flat to last month's initial report, at 120k, with small upward revisions to previous two months.

In addition to the jobs numbers, there's a ton of other economic data due. Construction spending, motor vehicle sales, personal income, ISM manufacturing, oh my.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That goddamn John Edwards trial thing took up almost every goddamned program on MSNBC today. I wanted to hear more about Mittens' recent fear of black helicopters. :(

Diablos

qM9K1.jpg

"IS THAT THE CAMERA? NO? OH WELL TOO LATE!"

Alongside Obama, George W. Bush steals the WH show
By JULIE PACE, Associated Press – 11 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — It's Barack Obama's house now, but his predecessor and political foil, George W. Bush, stole the show at the White House on Thursday with his wisecracks and grin.

"Thank you so much for inviting our rowdy friends to my hanging," the former president said, referring to members of his family and former staff, invited back to the executive mansion for the unveiling of his and Laura Bush's official portraits. "Behave yourselves," he jokingly admonished his crowd.

Bush told the current president he was pleased to know "that when you are wandering these halls as you wrestle with tough decisions, you will now be able to gaze at this portrait and ask, 'What would George do?'"

Free from the stress of the presidency and after three years spent largely out of the spotlight, a relaxed and jovial Bush came back with his father, former President George H.W. Bush, for a rare gathering of three commanders in chief. Former first lady Barbara Bush was there, too, as were George W. and Laura's daughters, Jenna and Barbara.

While Bush, Obama and their wives spoke about the warmth between their families, there was little of that on display between the two presidents. They traded handshakes but no hugs. There was little casual small talk as they entered and exited the East Room or as they stood on stage together.
"We may have our differences politically, but the presidency transcends those differences," Obama said.

That the relationship between Obama and Bush is cordial but not close is hardly a surprise.

Obama is still bad-mouthing Bush's time in office, blaming him for the economic crisis, the soaring federal debt and the unfinished wars the Democrat inherited from his Republican predecessor. And in the midst of an election season, Obama is trying to lump the economic policies of his current Republican rival, Mitt Romney, in with Bush's.

Standing side by side in the grand, chandeliered East Room, Obama was mostly formal and subdued while Bush was lighthearted and engaging, relishing in the warm greetings from veterans of his two terms in office.

Bush said he was pleased that the White House portrait collection now starts and ends with a "George W." Noting that George Washington's portrait was famously saved by first lady Dolley Madison when the British burned the White House in 1814, Bush pointed to his own portrait and told Michelle Obama that "if anything happens, there's your man."

With a smile, the first lady assured him in her own remarks, "I promise, I'm going straight for" it in case of emergency.

The former president turned emotional as he spoke of his own portrait hanging near his father's — "No. 41" as he called him. On the verge of tears, the younger Bush thanked his father, who attended the ceremony in a wheelchair, for "the greatest gift possible, unconditional love."

More than any other president in recent memory, Bush has not just intentionally faded from the public spotlight but all but disappeared from it. He wrote his own remarks for Thursday's event, as he no longer employs a speechwriter.
It was just one week ago that Obama, revving up campaign donors, turned Bush into a punch line. Obama depicted Romney as a peddler of bad economic ideas, helping the rich at the expense of the middle class. He then added: "That was tried, remember? The last guy did all this."

The president steered clear of the political jabs Thursday but didn't shy away from the economic crisis that began under Bush and has consumed Obama's term. Without laying blame for the recession, Obama said that after his election, Bush understood "that rescuing our economy was not just a Democratic or a Republican issue; it was an American priority."

Obama also recalled one of the most memorable moments of Bush's presidency from the days following the Sept. 11 attacks: "All of us will always remember the image of President Bush standing on that pile of rubble, bullhorn in hand, conveying extraordinary strength and resolve to the American people but also representing the strength and resolve of the American people."

Turning lighthearted himself, Obama also told Bush, "You left me a really good TV sports package. ... I use it."

Thursday's gathering of Bush-era aides had the feel of a college reunion. Before the presidents arrived, former staffers waved to each other and swapped stories. Even former White House reporters who covered the Bush administration came back for the event, crowding into the corners of the East Room.

While the few Democrats in attendance were far outnumbered by Republicans, the political tensions ran so low that even Vice President Joe Biden offered a hearty handshake and greeting to Karl Rove, Bush's longtime political adviser and a foe of countless Democrats.

"There he is!" Biden exclaimed as he turned over his shoulder to greet Rove who was seated a row behind.

Obama personally greeted the Bush family Thursday afternoon upon their arrival at the White House. The Obamas then hosted a private lunch for more than a dozen members of the Bush family in the Red Room.

Later Thursday, the Bushes visited former Vice President Dick Cheney at his home in nearby Virginia before they returned to Texas.

Current presidents hosting their predecessors for portrait unveilings is a long-standing political tradition at the White House. Bush held a similar ceremony for his predecessor Bill Clinton, who did the same for the elder Bush.

Artist John Howard Sanden painted the portraits of George and Laura Bush. The former president's portrait depicts him in the Oval Office in front of one of his favorite paintings, "A Charge to Keep." Laura Bush's portrait shows her in the Green Room wearing a long gown.

The former president's painting will hang prominently in the formal entrance hall to the White House, the Grand Foyer, a location Bush approved of.
ugh

Early news here said 150,000-158,000 jobs is expected to be reported.

I see Bush is still walking around with his "I can't believe I am(was) President" look.

Kevitivity

I strongly disagree that Congress + the President's ability to affect public sector job growth is limited. As the monopoly supplier of financial assets into the economy via the spending power, Congress + the President stand most responsible for the growth of jobs (or lack thereof) in the private sector via their power to influence aggregate demand. Now, that doesn't mean that the president, in isolation, is not limited. Or that the Congress, in isolation, is not limited. Per the constitution, both institutions are unfortunately needed to spend. It should accordingly be little surprise that political gridlock in Washington D.C. will cause the economy to suffer.

Design flaw.

Simply spending more money is the LAST thing we need. (dude, who the fuck taught you economics!)

According to the BBC, Greece is in trouble because of a massive budget deficit (Greece was spending more money than was coming in). Greece should take a lesson from you and just "supply more financial assets", right? Um no, thats not how it works.

Currently the US is also in a budget deficit. The government is spending over $1 trillion more than it's taking in the last time I looked. This is a recipe for disaster, yet you are actually calling for more spending? Can you explain this?

What our government needs to do is either raise revenue (taxes), cut spending, or a mixture of both (my preference). But there is no sane mainstream American economist (left or right) currently claiming that the US needs to increase spending in order to fix our current economic woes. (and if you quote stinkprogress, kos, or TPM in your reply I'll simply write you off as a blind partisan and we can part ways with a smile and a handshake.)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
According to the BBC, Greece is in trouble because of a massive budget deficit (Greece was spending more money than was coming in). Greece should take a lesson from you and just "supply more financial assets", right? Um no, thats not how it works.

Currently the US is also in a budget deficit. The government is spending over $1 trillion more than it's taking in the last time I looked. This is a recipe for disaster, yet you are actually calling for more spending? Can you explain this?
What disaster?

But there is no sane mainstream American economist (left or right) currently claiming that the US needs to increase spending in order to fix our current economic woes. (and if you quote stinkprogress, kos, or TPM in your reply I'll simply write you off as a blind partisan and we can part ways with a smile and a handshake.)
Really?

Simply spending more money is the LAST thing we need. (dude, who the fuck taught you economics!)

What our government needs to do is either raise revenue (taxes), cut spending, or a mixture of both (my preference). But there is no sane mainstream American economist (left or right) currently claiming that the US needs to increase spending in order to fix our current economic woes. (and if you quote stinkprogress, kos, or TPM in your reply I'll simply write you off as a blind partisan and we can part ways with a smile and a handshake.)

lol@TPM being a partisan site

New York Times (Reuters): 133,000 jobs. Tepid, anemic, "below economists’ expectations", "economists are starting to worry", “Today’s number both confirms and reinforces the deceleration of employment that we saw last month,”

Those aren't the official BLS numbers if anybody is wondering.

codhand

HP laid off 27k employees, will that be reflected? Also, Alan Greenspan on CNBC again this morning, man, why wasn't he run out of town again?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
But there is no sane mainstream American economist (left or right) currently claiming that the US needs to increase spending in order to fix our current economic woes.

Except that one guy who won a nobel prize...

Why do economist say they expect it to be a certain number but then expect it to be lower but still say they expect the higher number when they know they're expecting a lower number because that's what every sane person would expect.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Best reply I've ever had from a troll here. Sick burn!

I'm not a troll. Unless you think everyone here is a troll.

And it wasn't a 'sick burn', it was an honest question. Please expound upon what disaster you think our budget deficit will lead to.

Furthermore, do you believe the US and the Greece are an equal comparison? Besides the huge number of differences in the makeup of their economies, the US has their own currency, a luxury Greece does not enjoy. I don't think the comparison you were trying to make is valid as fiscal policy that Greece can undertake is very different from the type of fiscal policy decisions the US is able to make.

GhaleonEB

+69k

Unemployment rate at 8.2%

Horrible numbers, way below expectations and all data feeding into the release. Whee!

March from +154k to +143k; April from 115k to 77k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom