• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

Just go with like ten different URLs and make an acronym.

I get what the guy was getting at. If you're fighting for a woman's right to choose in her reproductive life and/or sex life, then that can extend to what they do with their body elsewhere. I'd be in favor of legal prostitution, because it is that woman (or man)'s right to do what they want with their body. Obviously there'd be regulations on that (such as to stop cases where it really isn't a choice, or to make it more safer... kind of like some of the regulations we have on abortion), but pretty much that should be free, and for similar reasons.

I find that the retort doesn't make much sense. Isn't the constitutional protection of abortion rooted in your right to privacy? In such a case I don't see how prostitution couldn't be squeezed into that. Just saying well one is constitutional and one is illegal therefore they can't be equated seems like kind of a cop out. It's an appeal to authority. Why exactly is one illegal and one not? And since when would the legality of an activity stop the ACLU for fighting for it if they did believe it was a right?

I also find equating robbing a bank with freely selling your body by choice to be pretty problematic, too. Almost more problematic than the original comparison between abortion and prostitution...

It's a bad comparison because women are often exploited in prostitution while abortion is about liberating them.

There's an easier response (or two) to the abortion/prostitution question.

1) The law protects the woman's right to sleep with whom whe wants, but the cash transaction is illegal

2) "Yes, I do support legalizing prostitution for exactly the reason you state."

The only logical name would be Obama Slappies. I was not even asked to participate. Disgusting
Don't worry, PD. I was going to make sure we had a special section on the site dedicated solely for your purpose. We're going to call it "PhoenixDark's Political Misfortunes." There you can make all the inaccurate political predictions to your heart's content, and – AND – you can also write more Obama fanfiction. It's a steal. Whaddya say?

fallagin

Best possible response to Donald Trump:

zc1CD.jpg

YES!!

Chichikov

Don't worry, PD. I was going to make sure we had a special section on the site dedicated solely for your purpose. We're going to call it "PhoenixDark's Political Misfortunes." There you can make all the inaccurate political predictions to your heart's content, and – AND – you can also write more Obama fanfiction. It's a steal. Whaddya say?
"The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Phoenix Dark".

Magni

k67kT.png

Only two groups (which overlap) want to see Roe v. Wade overturned: white evangelicals and those who attend religious services at least once a week.

zargle

Only two groups (which overlap) want to see Roe v. Wade overturned: white evangelicals and those who attend religious services at least once a week.

And apparently most young voters dont even know what it was about:
62 percent of Americans overall correctly identifying that the case dealt with abortion. Another 17 percent guess incorrectly and 20 percent offer no answer for what the case was about. Awareness drops to 44 percent among those ages 18 to 29

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...8287662-5fee-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_blog.html

Sorry if I missed anyone, but the list of those who've expressed interest in working with it are:
RDreamer
Dax
Oblivion
Frank the Great
pigeon
Tim-E

I'm of no use in regard to design, but I like to think that I'm a decent writer when I put the time into it. I've got ideas I'd like to write about and old writing that I could re-tool to share periodically.

I'd love to help. I always wanted to be on a blog. I think I'd do some great blog posts.

I'm not sure if PD has a website, but he has a Twitter account, and he's been re-tweeted a couple of times by some political journalists.

Hey, that might help lend some validity to our blog! Quickly, PD, link those tweets!
Oblivion and him should handle word of mouth then. I think if we got some people from the arts and crafts thread to come up with good cartoons together with the political minds of Poligaf, we could maybe get that to go viral and bring in traffic. Cartoons are easier to digest than articles of course. Bait 'm with the wit and humor, make 'm hooked with intellectual political discourse.

besada

Banned
If you need theme music or incidental music for a future podcast, let me know. I hope you guys actually do it.

EV should have his own highlighted section, where he draws us a picture of how things should be.

I'd visit that site.

k67kT.png

And in a few years, gay marriage will have similar support numbers. If republicans want to remain pro-life that's fine, but they better figure out a decent way to express it. If they want to be the party of Rick Perry fundamentalism they won't go anywhere on the national level.

Sorry if I missed anyone, but the list of those who've expressed interest in working with it are:
RDreamer
Dax
Oblivion
Frank the Great
pigeon
Tim-E

I'm of no use in regard to design, but I like to think that I'm a decent writer when I put the time into it. I've got ideas I'd like to write about and old writing that I could re-tool to share periodically.

I'm down. Currently a Journalism major with a minor in polisci. Been a writer/editor for both my high school and college and have written for both a sports and a gaming site.

As long as this is something we can do in our free time, I'm good to go.

They have three chances to pick this fight over spending in the next few months the debt ceiling was the stupidest.

1. debt ceiling (risk global crisis)
2. sequester (risk recession)
3. Budget/Continuing Resolution (only risk government shut down)

Also I'm down to contribute to the blog. If thats starting. I haven't posted for awhile but still follow you guys.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah, but watch it be only for two months or something.

I saw Paul Ryan pitching that and I fully support it. Definitely the only thing the GOP could do worse than staging a hostage crisis with the full faith and credit of the United States is doing it multiple times within the same year. If they're already agreeing to raise it without a fight, just get rid of it and focus on the continuing resolution, where they will presumably cave again.

Blearth

Banned
k67kT.png

I find it very hard to believe that there are more Republicans who are for Roe than against it. Are there any other recent polls on the subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom