• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
They're gonna adopt something like the McConnell proposal (Obama future Presidents can raise it whenever but they get a pitch-a-fit vote in the house which isn't binding)

This is really the best course of action for everybody. Obama gets to basically eliminate the debt ceiling (except for the possibility of a president of one party with both legislative branches dominated to a veto-proof level by the other party, but I'm not sure that that's ever happened in the history of the United States), Congress gets to vote against the debt ceiling without having their votes destroy the country. We should probably ask for some extra Obamacare funding in exchange for agreeing to let them have their political theatre, since the ideal solution from an executive point of view is actually just getting rid of the ceiling entirely.

This is really the best course of action for everybody. Obama gets to basically eliminate the debt ceiling (except for the possibility of a president of one party with both legislative branches dominated to a veto-proof level by the other party, but I'm not sure that that's ever happened in the history of the United States), Congress gets to vote against the debt ceiling without having their votes destroy the country. We should probably ask for some extra Obamacare funding in exchange for agreeing to let them have their political theatre, since the ideal solution from an executive point of view is actually just getting rid of the ceiling entirely.

Best course would be eliminating it but its the best thing we're gonna get from this tea party congress.

I don't think it will even hurt obama because if he can continue to push it doesnt authorize new spending and at the same time propose deficit cutting measures he can't be pinned as a tax and spend liberal. They'll only be preaching to the choir on that

pigeon

Banned
Best course would be eliminating it but its the best thing we're gonna get from this tea party congress.

The McConnell solution does essentially eliminate it -- by changing it from an affirmative thing that Congress must do to a negative thing that Congress must prevent, it changes the required votes to raise the ceiling from 51% in both houses to 34% (veto-proof) in just one house. All Congress gets in return is the right to complain visibly, which, since they're politicians, is what they actually want.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

5t5rA.gif

The McConnell solution does essentially eliminate it -- by changing it from an affirmative thing that Congress must do to a negative thing that Congress must prevent, it changes the required votes to raise the ceiling from 51% in both houses to 34% (veto-proof) in just one house. All Congress gets in return is the right to complain visibly, which, since they're politicians, is what they actually want.

I know that I just don't even think they should get to waste time with a pointless vote, just have them bitch about it on their own time. They authorized the money they should have to vote for a new lower budget. Shouldn't even have a vote.

I understand the practical fact its gone with this solution but its still silly and a waste of time

He's also going to do a IAmA at 3pm

watershed

Banned
Paul Ryan is advising Republicans on how to beat Obama because he was so successful at that in the last election and Mark Rubio is peddling the tea party argument that Obama secretly wants to repeal the 2nd amendment. Am I crazy or is the future of the GOP with these two at the head gonna be a lot of fun?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Paul Ryan is advising Republicans on how to beat Obama because he was so successful at that in the last election and Mark Rubio is peddling the tea party argument that Obama secretly wants to repeal the 2nd amendment. Am I crazy or is the future of the GOP with these two at the head gonna be a lot of fun?

I've got a lot of funny articles in me if they really are the future.

OMG, YES!

The satirical newspaper The Onion on Friday will release "The President of Vice: The Autobiography of Joe Biden," an e-book written in the voice of the vice president, the New York Times reported.

The Times detailed an excerpt from the e-book's introduction:

“Hombre, you’ve just done Uncle Joe a real solid buying this book,” begins the foreword to a new autobiography attributed to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. “I ain’t the kind of guy who forgets his debts. Next time we meet there’s a tallboy of ice cold Beast on me. And if you’re a lady, I know a few tricks to repay you with interest, if you catch my drift.”

In January 2011, Biden said The Onion's parodies of him are "hilarious." A few of the paper's Biden headlines include: “Joe Biden Shows Up To Inauguration With Ponytail" and “Biden Invites Nation’s Women To Tax Code Discussion At Private Mountain Chalet."

Edit: Knew I'd be late, boo!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
man Christie out there defending Obama again against the NRA this time

he really is something lol

Christie sees the shift coming, he'd be fucked in 2016 if he stuck with the Tea Party (in either his reelection or for the presidential).

Amir0x

Banned
Christie sees the shift coming, he'd be fucked in 2016 if he stuck with the Tea Party (in either his reelection or for the presidential).

Yeah but it's pretty funny how vocal he is about it these days. I just wish some of the basic civility that he claims to support would spread to the entire Republican party so we can get some deals done.

Also re: The Onion's Biden character...

I found it hilarious that the real Biden basically became the Onion's Biden today:

Making an imaginary shotgun with his hands and firing it with a loud “BOOM!” line Thursday afternoon, Vice President Biden made the case that the White House plan to curb gun violence does not step on the Second Amendment.

hah

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah but it's pretty funny how vocal he is about it these days. I just wish some of the basic civility that he claims to support would spread to the entire Republican party so we can get some deals done.

Also re: The Onion's Biden character...

I found it hilarious that the real Biden basically became the Onion's Biden today:

hah
It's funny that Christie is considered civil. How Jersey and how shitty the rest of the republicans are.
Edit: oops, overlooked the word 'claims'

Leunam

I know every now and then you get people in here that share what their coworkers think about current government doings so I figure I can throw one in.

During a company luncheon, one of the guys mentioned how NY now has a limit on ammo in magazines and one of the other guys said "Do police have the same limit?" One of the others at the table said he didn't care what happens in NY because "they're all commies anyway."

Not entirely sure what that guy meant when he asked if cops would have the same limit as well, but then I don't live in a fantasy world where I expect that one day I'm going to need to fight and topple my government.

Al-ibn Kermit

I know every now and then you get people in here that share what their coworkers think about current government doings so I figure I can throw one in.

During a company luncheon, one of the guys mentioned how NY now has a limit on ammo in magazines and one of the other guys said "Do police have the same limit?" One of the others at the table said he didn't care what happens in NY because "they're all commies anyway."

Not entirely sure what that guy meant when he asked if cops would have the same limit as well, but then I don't live in a fantasy world where I expect that one day I'm going to need to fight and topple my government.

He could just be thinking that there's a double standard where you can't respond with as much ammunition as police officer could if you were ever faced with a criminal.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
even if the inaugartion is few days away, I am liking 2nd term Obama 10x more than 1st term Obama.

Balls

Now that he doesn't have to pander for re-election he 's not scared anymore.... The Republicans literally already did there worse and then some during his first term, to the point their strategy is to repeat themselves.

pigeon

Banned
He could just be thinking that there's a double standard where you can't respond with as much ammunition as police officer could if you were ever faced with a criminal.

There IS a double standard, because one of you is a police officer and works for the government. He's going to be really mad if he learns that people in the Army are allowed to drive tanks that people not in the Army don't get to drive.

Haven't seen this posted:

Michelle Bachmann stiffs her campaign staff, they retaliate by ratting to the feds

Senior campaign staffers who worked for Michelle Bachmann in the 2012 race say that she's refused to pay them unless they sign an NDA promising not to disclose any criminal and unethical activity they witnessed on the campaign. Now it seems that some are fed up with dickering with Bachmann for what they're owed, and are just going to the feds with their tales of corruption and crime:

[Peter Waldron, a widely known evangelist enlisted by the Bachmann campaign for outreach to Christian conservatives], formerly Bachmann's national field coordinator, is accusing the campaign of improperly dipping into money from MichelePAC to pay longtime fundraising consultant Guy Short for presidential campaign work he performed in the critical final weeks ahead of Iowa's caucuses last year.

Waldron also alleges that the campaign concealed payments to Iowa state campaign chairman Kent Sorenson, a state senator who abruptly left the Bachmann camp to join then-U.S. Rep. Ron Paul's insurgent campaign. Under Iowa Senate rules, Waldron maintains, Sorenson could not perform paid work for a presidential campaign.

...One of those involved in the payment dispute is Barbara Heki, who sued the campaign last year over the use of a database listing the names and e-mail addresses of thousands of Christian home-school families. Although the campaign eventually agreed to pay $2,000 for the list, the lawsuit continues, as does a separate criminal investigation.

http://boingboing.net/2013/01/17/michelle-bachmann-stiffs-her-c.html

Al-ibn Kermit

There IS a double standard, because one of you is a police officer and works for the government. He's going to be really mad if he learns that people in the Army are allowed to drive tanks that people not in the Army don't get to drive.

Yeah but you're not going to go out to shoot Osama.

In the case of self defense, you may want to make sure that you can shoot them enough times to stop them from taking another step towards you. I have no idea if that's seven rounds or 20 or whatever.

I find it very hard to believe that there are more Republicans who are for Roe than against it. Are there any other recent polls on the subject?

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical about that as well. It is their fucking platform.

But on the other had, that supports my thesis that all upper echelon rich Republicans don't give a shit about abortion (and actually support keeping it legal) but they only use the abortion issue as a yoke to guide their proletariat tea party base.

All those people who say they need guns to protect themselves from the government....

Why do they hate america? Why do they hate this country so much they think the democracy is so fragile? Why are they stocking up to fight their own country? Aren't they traitors? Hang them all.

All those people who say they need guns to protect themselves from the government....

Why do they hate america? Why do they hate this country so much they think the democracy is so fragile? Why are they stocking up to fight their own country? Aren't they traitors? Hang them all.

And if they are so concerned about having to eventually fight the evil tyrannical government then why do they freak out if some liberal suggest cutting the defense budget by a few percent? Wouldn't that help them in their fantasy war against the Jack-booted-thug government?

No, they make no fucking sense at all.

And if they are so concerned about having to eventually fight the evil tyrannical government then why do they freak out if some liberal suggest cutting the defense budget by a few percent? Wouldn't that help them in their fantasy war against the Jack-booted-thug government?

These same people who say Support Our Troops, Don't Question the Govt in Wartime etc
While they also do nothing to combat the poor to no healthcare for veterans, very little mental health counseling and job training/certification.

They're just a miserable pile of contradictions.

andthebeatgoeson

The biggest head scratch in regards to the "need guns in case of a tyrannical government" argument is that...the government has drones, jets, and far more fire power at its disposal. Do they really think a few ak-47s armed by the populace will take down a manned drone?

More than that, what evidence beyond the signing of NDAA into law do they have that such a thing could ever occur?

I understand being distrustful of the government, but come on. What is the cause of such off base paranoia?

I see! So I take it this is a fairly progressive online community?
Probably that quote from the one Chinese leader that spoke about never invading America because there would be a gun around every corner.

It's like national security. Does make you think what kinds of counter insurgency we could put up if ever invaded.

Probably that quote from the one Chinese leader that spoke about never invading America because there would be a gun around every corner.

It's like national security. Does make you think what kinds of counter insurgency we could put up if ever invaded.

It was a Japanese general. Supposedly from WWII. Ya know, when the Japanese started a war with us by attacking Pearl Harbor and further started invading our islands off the coast of Alaska.

(It's a fake quote.)

pigeon

Banned
I find it very hard to believe that there are more Republicans who are for Roe than against it. Are there any other recent polls on the subject?

Gallup had a poll last year showing something like only 10% favoring full prohibition of abortion, which fits pretty well with these numbers. Most Americans have nuanced positions somewhere in the middle. Remember, the Republican platform is set by the craziest people.

But these people are actively conspiring against the US government and US army by stockpiling attack weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom