• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned

Franken would like make her melt into a puddle in any debate

B-Dubs said:
He gave that away a while ago.

It says right there in the article he's contemplating it...

Politico said:
Reid is now weighing whether to make senators actually hold the floor and speak for those 30 hours if they refuse to speed the debate.

Is there even newer news than this that now once again says he's through with it?

Edit: Nevermind, I read this wrong. Something different. BAH

Tim-E

I should have a new post on dHP in the morning. Since the inauguration is fresh in everyone's mind, it's going to focus on how Obama's speech was the strongest defense of liberalism from an acting President since Johnson, how his speech channeled Lincoln, and his desire for a strong legacy.

I should have a new post on dHP in the morning. Since the inauguration is fresh in everyone's mind, it's going to focus on how Obama's speech was the strongest defense of liberalism from an acting President since Johnson, how his speech channeled Lincoln, and his desire for a strong legacy.

looking forward to it.

It was the eye-roll heard 'round the world, but House Speaker John Boehner says he can't remember what he said to First Lady Michelle Obama during an inaugural lunch on Monday that made her look so visibly annoyed.

Boehner was sitting next to the Obamas at a lunch after the presidential inaugural ceremonies when he turned to them and said something that made the First Lady scowl and roll her eyes. The exchange was caught on tape but the cameras did not pick up the audio.

During a closed-door meeting of House Republicans on Capitol Hill Tuesday night, Boehner addressed the caught-on-tape interaction with Mrs. Obama, saying he has "no clue" what he said.

"He said, 'I have no clue what that was about," Louisiana Republican Rep. John Fleming told reporters after the meeting. "He said they were just having a casual conversation. He said he doesn't know why she rolled her eyes. It was nothing they were communicating on that would be a reason to do that so he's not sure. Maybe she heard something else. He was speculating that maybe there was another conversation she was hearing."
At least for now, this moment of presidential history will remain a mystery.

haha, Boehner knows about the eyeroll.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...aid-set-off-michelle-001611808--election.html Them yahoo comments.

73dc0af480027524_159848172.xxlarge.jpg

zargle

"Electronic Filing. Your return includes forms that are not approved for electronic filing at this time. Due to late tax legislation approved by Congress, the IRS is in the process of updating the affected forms. The following forms are currently not available for electronic filing: 1040A, W2-G, Schedule A, Schedule C, Schedule C-EZ, Schedule D, Schedule E, Schedule F, Schedule R, Schedule SE, 982, 1040-ES, 1116, 2106, 2106-EZ, 2120, 2210, 2439, 3800, 3903, 4562, 4797, 5405, 5695, 6251, 8379, 8396, 8815, 8880, 8910, 8917, 8941, and 8949."

Thanks, Congress!

I work for a free tax preparation program. This is not even the worst effect that their worst dragging their feet had on us. The whole fiscal cliff stupidity really messed our operations up.

andthebeatgoeson

The Republican Party is becoming what they used to say the Democratic Party was -- a ragged coalition of single-issue voters. Basically, what you're seeing in these polls is that there are a lot of people who are generally Democratic but for whom abortion/guns/Israel/gays/blacks are really the issue they vote on.

Definitely not voting for another president unless there's a black person on the ticket.

"Electronic Filing. Your return includes forms that are not approved for electronic filing at this time. Due to late tax legislation approved by Congress, the IRS is in the process of updating the affected forms. The following forms are currently not available for electronic filing: 1040A, W2-G, Schedule A, Schedule C, Schedule C-EZ, Schedule D, Schedule E, Schedule F, Schedule R, Schedule SE, 982, 1040-ES, 1116, 2106, 2106-EZ, 2120, 2210, 2439, 3800, 3903, 4562, 4797, 5405, 5695, 6251, 8379, 8396, 8815, 8880, 8910, 8917, 8941, and 8949."

Thanks, Congress!

Fresno has a 15% unemployment rate.

You read that number right.

Fresno processes paper irs forms for the western half of the country.

Sounds like stealth stimulus to me.

Jeeeeeeeeerbs

Jooney

Wasn't Reid meant to reach a decision on filibuster reform today?

The current situation should be replaced by at least the talking filibuster. No more 60 votes just to begin debate, no more silent holds on nominations. If you want to stall the legislative process, then you have to stand up in the Senate and explain yourself to the American people on why you think a bill is a bad idea.

The idea that one anonymous person can hold up the will of the people is completely undemocratic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wasn't Reid meant to reach a decision on filibuster reform today?

The current situation should be replaced by at least the talking filibuster. No more 60 votes just to begin debate, no more silent holds on nominations. If you want to stall the legislative process, then you have to stand up in the Senate and explain yourself to the American people on why you think a bill is a bad idea.

The idea that one anonymous person can hold up the will of the people is completely undemocratic.

Yup. Making the filibustering party get 41 votes together is just a consolation prize, Reid should know the turtle-man will never let him reform the filibuster in a meaningful way. Talking filibuster or bust.

I wonder what conservatives would have done if MLK and Rosa Parks had guns. Oh wait I already know based on what they did to the Black Panther Party

She is the daughter of the president of the united states yet she still has to use a iPhone 4/4S not a 5. lol

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I remember Michelle talking about her rules their daughters have to follow.

1. No electrical devices for entertainment during the week.
2. No computer during week unless for school as a result of rule #1.
3. Must be involved in two sports. One they like the other they don't. Supposedly to teach them to get good at something they don't like.
4. When they go on a trip, a report is mandatory regardless of whether their school requires it or not.

If this is at all accurate, they may end up as normal kids. Sounds more strict than when I grew up.

RDreamer

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I remember Michelle talking about her rules their daughters have to follow.

3. Must be involved in two sports. One they like the other they don't. Supposedly to teach them to get good at something they don't like.
4. When they go on a trip, a report is mandatory regardless of whether their school requires it or not.

If this is at all accurate, they may end up as normal kids. Sounds more strict than when I grew up.

That's WAAAAAAY stricter than anyone I've ever known.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Check-mate libruls. (FB)

549888_10152474646235515_2060211837_n.jpg

I'm not very familiar with the civil rights movement and the Rosa Parks incident, but wasn't it the case that she didn't have the right to sit at the front of the bus, and she was protesting it was a right she should have?

Not really sure of the actual legality of "whites only" water fountains, restaurants, transport etc, or whether it was just a social thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's WAAAAAAY stricter than anyone I've ever known.

Yea, but think about the environment they're growing up in. Right now they're pretty much living like super-rich girls, you have to counter that somehow otherwise the results won't be so good.

gcubed

I'm not very familiar with the civil rights movement and the Rosa Parks incident, but wasn't it the case that she didn't have the right to sit at the front of the bus, and she was protesting it was a right she should have?

Not really sure of the actual legality of "whites only" water fountains, restaurants, transport etc, or whether it was just a social thing.

Your first mistake is trying to reason that thought process

Jooney

No, she had the right to sit at the front of the bus, but then a meddling federal government took that away from her.

Oh wait.

I personally was totally free growing up, in the streets and everything. I wonder what it's like to have such a strict parent figure.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Am I the only one who, despite of course wanting filibuster reform, really does think that changing the rules with 51 votes given the state of the crazies in the Republican Party is not something to be taken lightly and just rammed through in a partisan firebrand kind of way?

Criticize caucuses and people for voting along party lines then. Just because there are 51 or 52 democrats should not mean that everything democrats want get passed. All democrats should not have the same views on everything, and vice versa for republicans. Your party label should be a general label that gives an abstract idea of your overall philosophy, not define your views on an individual policy basis. Especially when you have system like the US where there are only 2 major parties.

That's why it's disgusting that the GOP blocked so many bills and appointments even when the democrats had 58, 59, or 60 senators. You should not reasonably expect a group of 40-60 people to agree on every god damn thing imaginable, from what their favorite color is to the intricacies of tax policy to education, regulation, commerce, civil liberties, etc. You get the picture. And even if they doo, this is a democracy. If the majority of representatives approve of legislation, then it should be fucking approved. Any legal/constitutional issues or enforcement problems get resolved by the courts and executive branches, and modifications to the legislative policy can be made by new legsilation, achieved through civil protest, political activism, and electing different officials.

Also, going back to the whole rammed through thing: Again, bills are not drafted on the senate floor. They get drafted in committees, subsets of the senate consisting of usually 10-20 members. Each committee pertinent to the topic at hand drafts its own version of legislation. The committees then consolidate their proposals into a legislative draft for the senate. The entire senate debates and amends this proposal and votes on it.

The same process occurs in the House of Representatives.
The bills from the House and Senate are then consolidated into a single common piece of legislation which each chamber votes on independently.

There are plenty of safeguards in plcae to prevent people form just ramming things through. You need a conspiracy/group negligence to deliberately sabotage legislation or to ram legislation through, but the former merely requires you to assemble a minority of members of 1 chamber to exploit a procedural loophole (or even a single individual in the case of secret holds on appointments), whereas the latter requires coordinated efforts across independent chambers of congress, across individuals, across committees, and the committees to be organized in such a way that you can pull this off.

I wonder what conservatives would have done if MLK and Rosa Parks had guns. Oh wait I already know based on what they did to the Black Panther Party

The 2nd Amendment is just for whites. And not to stop government oppression but just to kill blacks criminals. Per the SCOTUS.

Trurl

Banned
Check-mate libruls. (FB)

549888_10152474646235515_2060211837_n.jpg

An FB friend of mine shared this. He also posted this story yesterday:
As it turns out, I was denied entry to Canada because I wouldn't lick the boot of some turd with a badge.
Turd: "Are carrying any guns or do you own any at home?"
Me: "I'm not carrying any firearms with me."
Turd: "But do you own any, back home?"
Me: *stares at turd*
Turd: "Do you own any firearms back in Ohio?"
Me: *stares at turd*
Turd: "Pull your vehicle off to the side so we can search you."

I complied fully with directive, unloaded baby into below freezing weather, yet the turd brigade doesn't want me to take the child-seat and diaper bag along with my baby. One of them shoves me while I pull my infant daughter from the car.*

Different Turd: "Since you find this search to be so irritating, we'll send you back to America once we finish the search."

The moral of the story; if you want to cross the Canadian border, you'll need to smile and grovel at the feet of a government worm while he attempts to trample your dignity and privacy.
I'm not a big enough dick to tell him that it's pretty funny that he was denied entry.

Chichikov

I said it before and I will say it again, the best way to get public support for gun control is for black people to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.
Send a couple of brothers to a mall with uzis and black panthers "uniforms" and all of a sudden people will remember that guns don't necessarily make them feel safe.

I said it before and I will say it again, the best way to get public support for gun control is for black people to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.
Send a couple of brothers to a mall with uzis and black panthers "uniforms" and all of a sudden people will remember that guns don't necessarily make them feel safe.
I applaud this tactic.

Edit: On second thought, no. Race warriors probably masturbate at the very idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom