• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
nt5etAu.jpg

1. Does he not realize the proverb involves monkeys? Great optics there

2. This makes no sense. Obama turning a blind eye to Al-Queda? WHAT!?

It is scary how de-educated the right are becoming on things.

fallagin

nt5etAu.jpg

1. Does he not realize the proverb involves monkeys? Great optics there

2. This makes no sense. Obama turning a blind eye to Al-Queda? WHAT!?

It is scary how de-educated the right are becoming on things.

I don't even understand how someone could even pretend to believe this bullshit. I literally cannot even.

lednerg

... finally. Thing is, if all the news outlets recognized the GOP's blatant trolling for what it is and dutifully ignored it as one should, that would make the news rather unfriendly to ratings and they'd probably have to hire actual journalists to do actual investigating to find stories that go deeper than "these guys are saying this, but those guys are saying that." So instead, they'll just keep things nice and exciting for the plebs who respond to commercials, to the point where you'd be more informed if you watched Comedy Central on a weeknight.

Quote some Matthew 23 at him. Especially verses 23 to 33. As an added bonus, it specifically teaches against public prayer.

Mark 12:41 onwards is a good argument against flat taxes as well and is a surprisingly succinct example of the concept of diminishing marginal utility.

It's unfortunate that Matthew 22:21 is a pretty easy cop out for these arguments, or at least can be interpreted that way

LosDaddie

Banned
I don't get it guys. How the hell can you call yourself Christian and think and do like that? Jesus healed people, and I certainly don't remember him doing it on condition of what else they did in their life. Jesus said to heal the sick. Jesus said fuck all about abortions, even.

You already answered your own question...because abortion. Always abortion...and now with a side of HOMOSEXUAL marriage. Anything those baby-killers and gay-lovers are for is inherently evil. One simplay can't be a true Christian and support a party with that agenda. Plus ya know, govt/taxes are forced charity.

I thank God every day that my Culture Warrior in-laws live in NY, and we in FL. :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Obama have to cover his eyes in that comic. The way Ramirez draws him he literally has no eyes anyway.

RDreamer

You already answered your own question...because abortion. Always abortion...and now with a side of HOMOSEXUAL marriage. Anything those baby-killers and gay-lovers are for is inherently evil. One simplay can't be a true Christian and support a party with that agenda. Plus ya know, govt/taxes are forced charity.

I thank God every day that my Culture Warrior in-laws live in NY, and we in FL. :)

But that doesn't really answer it. As I said, Jesus said nothing about abortions at all. Nothing. The only thing you can get close to abortion is found in the Old Testament, and it certainly wasn't all that against it... It can be interpreted as saying the fetus is definitely not a life in the same way a person is. That's why Jewish people aren't that against abortions, and apparently weren't in Jesus's time. And that's why Evangelicals weren't against it until the 70s, and you can still find religious papers on why abortion is Biblically supported.

I guess I just think if abortion was this big huge thing that Jesus really wanted you to stop, he should have probably said something. Same with gays, too. He said a lot of shit about giving up your wealth and helping the poor, though. Seems like that was more what he cared about. Yet the big CHRISTIAN PARTY of a CHRISTIAN NATION seems to care so much about the former and not at all about the latter.

Fucking supply side free market Jesus... you so crazy.

Tim-E

But that doesn't really answer it. As I said, Jesus said nothing about abortions at all. Nothing. The only thing you can get close to abortion is found in the Old Testament, and it certainly wasn't all that against it... It can be interpreted as saying the fetus is definitely not a life in the same way a person is. That's why Jewish people aren't that against abortions, and apparently weren't in Jesus's time.

I guess I just think if abortion was this big huge thing that Jesus really wanted you to stop, he should have probably said something. Same with gays, too. He said a lot of shit about giving up your wealth and helping the poor, though. Seems like that was more what he cared about. Yet the big CHRISTIAN PARTY of a CHRISTIAN NATION seems to care so much about the former and not at all about the latter.

It depresses me to no end that this party has taken this tone and has basically said that if you're not like them, you're an awful person and obviously not a person of faith. I think that's why so many agnostics/atheists have such a condescending view of people of faith; because these people are the ones who typically represent them. My views on religion are fairly difficult to pin down, but it makes me sick to see religion distorted by their side so much. The "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality is severely depressing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Based on the account of somebody privy to the conference call in question, abortion was deliberately chosen as a political wedge issue in the 1970s after evangelicals decided to enter politics when the IRS came down on Bob Jones University. The marriage of these new Republicans and traditional Republicans became consummated with Ronald Reagan. According to a graph in wiki, Roe v Wade enjoyed its lowest rate of opposition in the mid 70s, but by the mid 80s opposition had risen to among its highest. In fact, many churches that you'd expect to see opposing today were coming to terms with the idea in general around that time.

Magni

^^^ That would make an excellent dHP post by the way, I'd love to read more about it!

Dead Heat Politics is already blocked at my office!

I haven't finished my post yet, so it wasn't me that tripped the filter! Good thing you still have GAF though :lol

RDreamer

Based on the account of somebody privy to the conference call in question, abortion was deliberately chosen as a political wedge issue in the 1970s after evangelicals decided to enter politics when the IRS came down on Bob Jones University. According to a graph in wiki, Roe v Wade enjoyed its lowest rate of opposition in the mid 70s, but by the mid 80s opposition had risen to among its highest. In fact, many churches that you'd expect to see opposing today were coming to terms with the idea in general around that time.

Got a link to that account? I know it was the 70s that things changed, but I didn't know about that conference call thing. That sounds pretty interesting.

I also need to look up the history of it in the Catholic Church. They were against it for a while I think, but I'd like to know exactly where and if things had changed more recently, too.

^^^ That would make an excellent dHP post by the way, I'd love to read more about it!

Yeah I was thinking of doing something with some of the stuff I gathered before for that.

Tim-E

I haven't finished my post yet, so it wasn't me that tripped the filter! Good thing you still have GAF though :lol

It let me go earlier this morning and when I tried to go back it was blocked. Honestly, it probably just blanket-blocks all Wordpress sites.

It makes me so happy to see so many contributors.

thefro

But that doesn't really answer it. As I said, Jesus said nothing about abortions at all. Nothing. The only thing you can get close to abortion is found in the Old Testament, and it certainly wasn't all that against it... It can be interpreted as saying the fetus is definitely not a life in the same way a person is. That's why Jewish people aren't that against abortions, and apparently weren't in Jesus's time. And that's why Evangelicals weren't against it until the 70s, and you can still find religious papers on why abortion is Biblically supported.

The Catholic church didn't even get on its abortion = murder kick until about the 1500s or so when there were early microscopes (they thought a fetus was a tiny, fully-formed human at the time). Before that they didn't really care about it and it was a regular sin.

LosDaddie

Banned
But that doesn't really answer it.

It does answer it. You clearly said so right here:

My dad was talking about how the contract is coming up for their union and they're not going to get healthcare because his boss is a big Christian and he doesn't want to pay for abortion!.

Abortion is, by far, the #1 reason 'Christians' will point to as why they're Republicans, and could never be Dems. Always abortion. It's the 'draw a line in the sand' issue for many 'Christians' in America. (And now with a side of gay marriage opposition to along with it.)

Why? For many reasons, least of not which are their pastors who gladly go along with it. Many pastors focus on political wedge issues, while paying little service to community outreach & such. There was a Colbert episode about some pastors who have a sermon where they basically become RNC pundits at the pew, and then gleefully send the video to the govt hoping it will try to take away their tax exempt status.

SSJ really is who these 'Christians' worship. Sad most don't realize it.

RDreamer

The Catholic church didn't even get on its abortion = murder kick until about the 1500s or so when there were early microscopes (they thought a fetus was a tiny, fully-formed human at the time). Before that they didn't really care about it and it was a regular sin.

Yeah, my introductory research lead me to something like that. It was still a sin before that, though? I guess I need to research where the split comes, because as far as I know in Jewish cultures it was fine. The embryo was viewed as water for the first 40 days or something, and then the fetus was viewed as an appendage of the mother. And this makes sense Biblically if you look at some of the Old Testament laws (there's one about basically if you accidentally "kill" someone's fetus you just owe them money, and the penalty is absolutely nothing like a murder).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Something else I saw along the way:

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=97998654
GROSS: [...] Now, you were an active part of that process of helping to politicize evangelical leaders. Can you talk a little bit about what you and your father did to politicize them?

Mr. SCHAEFFER: When we began, the issue was abortion. By the time we were done, we were meeting with political leaders like Jack Kemp and Ronald Reagan and others. The evolution from talking about an issue on the basis of compassion, of helping people with difficult pregnancies, unwed mothers and so forth, to the place where we were telling people how to vote was fairly gradual. But what happened was is that the pro-life movement was really co-opted by Republican Party.

And the leaders of the Republican Party very quickly realized they had a very hot issue. Speaking for myself, what happened was is that I became enamored with the process. It's very heady, high-powered, ego-stoking stuff to have Jack Kemp sit up all night in his kitchen and watch a film series you've made on abortion and ask you questions and then arrange for you and your Dad to have a discussion with Republican leaders in the Rayburn House building in Washington.

And we gradually, I think, really started to enjoy the feeling that we could not only change America and bring it back closer to God's intention for godly societies whatever the agenda was, but also just the process of meeting with very high-powered people and being listened to. And I think really the bottom line is that that became addictive. And that addiction meant that we were increasingly telling people how to vote and not really appealing so much to conscience as to political expediency.
GROSS: Are there extreme things that you've heard leaders of the religious right say behind the scenes, when not in front of a microphone?

Mr. SCHAEFFER: Oh yeah, all the time. One incident comes to mind. Jerry Falwell sent a jet up to bring Dad and I down to speak. I preached from his pulpit, and I remember sitting in his pastor study before we went on. He had been on a very successful fundraising binge because a radio tower, a transmission tower of his had had the guy wires cut nearby and fallen down. And he was accusing local gay activists of doing this. And his fundraiser in chief at that point, who was also running the Moral Majority for him, Cal Thomas, who went and became a commentator for Fox News at one point and is a columnist now, was telling me later, oh yeah, well, we raised that money, you know, 10 times over, but Jerry wasn't going to let it go. So we went in to his office, and we were talking about this incident. And Jerry said to me, you know, the homosexuals really disgust me. He says if I had a dog that did what they do, I'd just shoot it. And I looked at him to see if he was joking, and he wasn't. And my Dad and I exchanged glances. When my Dad and I left that meeting, Dad turned to me, and he said - and I think I put this in the book - he said to me, you know, he's a really disgusting person. And I think my Dad was just shocked sometimes to peel back the layer a little bit and see what was there in terms of just the unbridled hatred that was in the heart of a lot of these people.

And I think that probably had been there, in terms of a prejudice against gay people, long before the pro-life movement came on the scene. But again, I think what happened was we showed the way to energize a larger movement through political issues. The issue of homosexuality just got added to it. But in terms of their personal antipathy, it was rabid.

pigeon

Banned
Hey look at that! House Republicans agree that the debt ceiling is completely arbitrary and can be ignored at will. Kind-of-sort-of.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...bc4f3e-64ae-11e2-85f5-a8a9228e55e7_story.html

Man, I noticed this yesterday but didn't comment because I wasn't sure I was reading it right. I could've looked like a genius. It's worth noting that this means we'll actually be WAY OVER the limit when May comes. This is basically doc fix style legislation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Magni

Only 29% of Americans like Obama, the other 71% hate him

Wonder why the election turned out the way it did then.

To quote a Blaze comment (posted on an article with a reader poll about gun control which stated that 50% owned an assault rifle), "just who is Gallup polling?" These people live in an alternate reality.

edit:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Republican Party: http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...hool-board-president-defends-hitler-post.html

State Board of Education President Debe Terhar said she was not comparing President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler when she posted a photograph of the Nazi leader on her Facebook page with a message critical of the administration’s new gun-control efforts.

[...]

Terhar, a Cincinnati Republican elected last week by the 19-member school board to a second term as its president, recently posted the picture with this commentary: “Never forget what this tyrant said: ‘To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens.’ — Adolf Hitler.”

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Why? For many reasons, least of not which are their pastors who gladly go along with it. Many pastors focus on political wedge issues, while paying little service to community outreach & such. There was a Colbert episode about some pastors who have a sermon where they basically become RNC pundits at the pew, and then gleefully send the video to the govt hoping it will try to take away their tax exempt status.

It won't amount to anything. Churches are not scrutinized to the extent non-christian religious institutions are when it comes to the whole tax-exemption thing.

I never hear about anything remotely political in synagogue, but it seems like every other church sermon I read about ties politics into it in some way.

RDreamer

Reading about abortion history in the churches is pretty fascinating, I must say. I'm seeing the traditional Catholic view is that mos definitely the soul is not present in a fetus, and doesn't get infused until later. The fetus isn't human, and they only opposed it because it was a potential human. They did have some history going back and forth on that though with one particular pope going too far and the next one basically dismissing every decree the previous one had on it.

Wilsongt

Conservatives react to Obama inaugural speech

Sen. John McCain, who unsuccessfully ran against Obama in 2008, told The New York Times he did not like the tone of the speech. “I would have liked to see a little more on outreach and working together,” McCain said. “There was not, as I’ve seen in other inaugural speeches, ‘I want to work with my colleagues.’”

Charles Krauthammer, the conservative commentator, called the speech "an ode to big government" on Fox News. Krauthammer said Obama ignored the question of how the country will deal with its deficit. "Obama had zero interest in that, and this was a declaration that his interest is to restore us to the liberal ascendency," Krauthammer said.

President George W. Bush's former chief of staff Andy Card called it a "parallel universe speech" on Fox News Monday afternoon, criticizing Obama for not focusing on the nation's economic and national security problems.

Republicans still so salty they only control 1/3rd of the federal government.

RDreamer

Conservatives react to Obama inaugural speech
Republicans still so salty they only control 1/3rd of the federal government.

“I would have liked to see a little more on outreach and working together”

Jesus Christ, really? So, Obama does a speech about how we should all work together in this country and republicans get salty because that in and of itself means he's not working together with them... because they're the party of not working together.

Basically Republicans only want to work together toward the goal that other people don't work together and the government definitely doesn't help people work together.

MagniHarvald said:

Hitler actually made it easier to own a gun for most Germans. Strict gun laws were in place before he took power and he made them more lax. Deeducation continues.

Hey look at that! House Republicans agree that the debt ceiling is completely arbitrary and can be ignored at will. Kind-of-sort-of.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...bc4f3e-64ae-11e2-85f5-a8a9228e55e7_story.html

I don't understand the point of doing it this way. Jesus fuck these guys have no idea what they're doing.

RDreamer

The debt ceiling solution is wacky. I feel like it's just a way to lose the argument without letting their dumbass constituents in on the secret that they really can't actually hold the debt ceiling hostage. So, they lose, but they can continue the charade that they aren't backing down, just being strategic or some shit.

This is what happens when you turn everything into a goddamned war against your opponent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom