• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't even . . .

Trayvon Martin? I don't even understand that. Even if we give the facts their best interpretation for Zimmerman, a young unarmed black kid gets shot & killed for being in a fight . . . is that something to be celebrated? WTF?

The weirdest part is that its not snappy or clever in a way that makes me think he posted them in the heat of the moment. They're so stupid and poorly written that he had to have thought about them.

Wow, I know how paradoxical it sounds, but it makes sense to me.

Chichikov

Screen-Shot-2013-02-04-at-12.31.25-PM.png

What in the flying fuck? I mean...what? That's not even...snappy or reflexive, someone had to think about that and type it, which makes the fact that beyond being offensive its just plain stupid all the more baffling.
Don't worry, he can explain it in his own words.

what is this shit i don't even

Sorry, my brain had to reboot.
He is such a dumbass and he's done.

Edit: this is sooooooooooooooooo good, like, it might be a prank to make a joke of stupid conservatives.
And he call him a thug again, on the phone.
We sure this is real?
No one can be that stupid.

fallagin

Edit: this is sooooooooooooooooo good, like, it might be a prank to make a joke of stupid conservatives.
We sure this is real?

I hope this shit blows up so big. I want the GOP to become destitute. I want them to grovel at our feet for forgiveness.

Edit: Its nice to want things. :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

We sure this is real?

Apparently, and I hate to say it, someone is in fact that stupid. It's like we find a new low everyday, it's just sad at this point.

RDreamer

We sure this is real?

Wow...

I think I might make a thread about this. There's more than enough with the original tweets, his response and also his past Pelosi tweets.

Chichikov

I hope this shit blows up so big. I want the GOP to become destitute. I want them to grovel at our feet for forgiveness.
I don't think he holds any position, he's just an idiot with a twitter account.
But it's not often you see trolls get owned as hard as the dude's about to get owned in real life.
I want to see him blame this on being drunk during superbowl night.
That would've worked if he didn't do a phone interview the next day, in which he call Trayvon Martin a thug, again.

Piecake

We sure this is real?

I know i wont be able to watch that. So i wont (low tolerance for cringe-inducing videos)

Chichikov

I know i wont be able to watch that. So i wont (low tolerance for cringe-inducing videos)
He's just an idiot self owning himself, it's really not that cringe inducing.
It's funny more than anything, he does try every textbook deflective method - did you know it was a satire, he got death threats from black people and freedom of speech?

So I'm reading up on Rove's attack on the Tea Party, and I have to say... that's a brilliant damn strategy.

First, all Rove has to do is attack the Tea Party and eventually he'll say enough things that win some interest from Independents and maybe even some Dems. In this way he'll slowly start gliding the Repub party in a more favorable position with moderates.

Rove is one of the few people out there who can change his opinion just like that, because he has enough money to do it. I think he knows he can cut his losses with the Tea Party because they are by and large, very dumb and very unorganized, and would not be able to take him down anyway.

However, here's the interesting thing about his strategy - all Tea Partiers would never vote Dem, so there is no risk in losing a vote to the left. However, it seems like whereever the Republican party sways, there will always be that 40% of Americans who will vote Republican, no matter how crazy the party gets.

By villianizing the tea party and appearing moderate, they may just get more out of the next election... and by appearing like "Hey guys we learned our lesson! We've reformed!"

Gotchaye

So I'm reading up on Rove's attack on the Tea Party, and I have to say... that's a brilliant damn strategy.

First, all Rove has to do is attack the Tea Party and eventually he'll say enough things that win some interest from Independents and maybe even some Dems. In this way he'll slowly start gliding the Repub party in a more favorable position with moderates.

Rove is one of the few people out there who can change his opinion just like that, because he has enough money to do it. I think he knows he can cut his losses with the Tea Party because they are by and large, very dumb and very unorganized, and would not be able to take him down anyway.

However, here's the interesting thing about his strategy - all Tea Partiers would never vote Dem, so there is no risk in losing a vote to the left. However, it seems like whereever the Republican party sways, there will always be that 40% of Americans who will vote Republican, no matter how crazy the party gets.

By villianizing the tea party and appearing moderate, they may just get more out of the next election... and by appearing like "Hey guys we learned our lesson! We've reformed!"

Regardless, it hurts Republicans in Congressional elections and forces state governments to pick sides. There's also a significant chance of a third party Tea Party candidate cropping up if Rove and the establishment piss them off enough. Ross Perot was only 20 years ago.

Regardless, it hurts Republicans in Congressional elections and forces state governments to pick sides. There's also a significant chance of a third party Tea Party candidate cropping up if Rove and the establishment piss them off enough. Ross Perot was only 20 years ago.

I'm hoping for this. I want a scenario where 20% of the GOP votes for a tea party candidate as a third party and ruins their gerrymandering. Piss em off rove. I want this to happen.

It's the same criminal mindset as the Bush Administration, complete with the same kind of utterly fraudulent legal cover: "But the confidential Justice Department 'white paper' introduces a more expansive definition of self-defense or imminent attack than described by Brennan or Holder in their public speeches. It refers, for example, to what it calls a 'broader concept of imminence' than actual intelligence about any ongoing plot against the U.S. homeland. 'The condition that an operational leader present an "imminent" threat of violent attack against the United States does not require the United States to have clear evidence that a specific attack on U.S. persons and interests will take place in the immediate future,' the memo states."

Defining "imminence" in this matter is no different from the Bush Administration's absurd definition of "torture." All of the lawyers involved should be disbarred. And if I had my way, criminally prosecuted and imprisoned.

Instead, we live a society so dysfunctional that such lawyers get rewarded with a federal judgeship.

an “informed, high-level” official of the U.S. government may determine that the targeted American has been “recently” involved in “activities” posing a threat of a violent attack and “there is no evidence suggesting that he has renounced or abandoned such activities.” The memo does not define “recently” or “activities.”

Holy shit. The US government is basically telling due process to go fuck off.

Magni

All these #TGDN guys are attacking Clara Jeffrey of Mother Jones for poking fun at the NRA with this tweet:

So much for good/talented guy with a gun being able to stop mentally ill guy with a gun: bit.ly/XPXdVb
http://storify.com/petersterne/gun-trolls-attack-mother-jones-editor

What is TGDN you might ask?

A new hashtag was born last saturday on twitter : #TGDN. It stands for Twitter Gulag Defense Network and is the brainchild of twitter user @ToddKincannon.
http://conservativeread.com/what-is-tgdn/#.URCiLVqNORp

edit: http://thetrenches.us/2012/10/break...sc-gop-executive-director-in-sexting-scandal/ This guy is a joke.

Chichikov

Holy shit. The US government is basically telling due process to go fuck off.
You seem to forget that 10 years ago a bunch of ass backward cave dwellers got lucky and sneaked some box cutters past airport security; this is the only possible way we can defend ourselves against such threat.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Disgusting

But I laughed at "stopped tweeting stupid shit a year ago"

If hell were real I would def be going :(

All these #TGDN guys are attacking Clara Jeffrey of Mother Jones for poking fun at the NRA with this tweet:

http://storify.com/petersterne/gun-trolls-attack-mother-jones-editor

What is TGDN you might ask?

http://conservativeread.com/what-is-tgdn/#.URCiLVqNORp

edit: http://thetrenches.us/2012/10/break...sc-gop-executive-director-in-sexting-scandal/ This guy is a joke.

I broke the news to NEOGAF and nobody cared

So much for good guys with guns.

http://news.yahoo.com/former-marine...an-sniper-052020338--abc-news-topstories.html

So the number 1 US Navy Seal sniper.....gets gunned down at a gun range by a trained marine.

That about covers all pro-gun arguments.

Madness

Don't know if this belongs on poli-gaf (is it just US politics?) and I'm still a junior so couldnt make a thread, but I wanted to share a story that's gaining traction in India.

Apparently the Grand Mufti of Kashmir in India, issued a fatwa against the only all-girl rock band there. During their last show, guys stormed the stage and told them they weren't allowed to sing or take such joy in their music. He blamed the girls stating that their music was, "not good for society" and that all of the "bad things currently happening in Indian society are because of music".

Though they faced anonymous death threats before, after the Fatwa, they decided to disband, why? Because the Grand Mufti is the highest authority in Sunni Islam. If they decided to continue, most likely they would have been killed.

I just think it's horrendous. They weren't dressed provocatively. They were teenage muslim girls who started a band, and they were quite good, and now they've had to go into hiding and disband.

Thoughts? Just wanted to share. I love music, and I cannot fathom ever living someplace where I would be killed for wanting to play guitar or etc.

Jooney

I will never understand why conservatives have drawn a line in the sand on the Trayvon Martin issue. To make their stand on this, to defend a guy with a history of violence against the murder of a teenage boy, is just baffling. Is every issue now a call to arms to join your side, to never cede an inch of political ground? Whatever they think of Trayvon Martin, he had his life taken away from him too early, no matter what "crime" they thought he committed. To use his name as some punching bag when he can no longer defend himself is disgraceful.

As for that Michael Brown comment - it is the perfect encapsulation of the type of people Republicans install into Government.

If Republicans knew what was good for them, maybe they should now just let a democrat be in charge of FEMA, much like how apparently a Republican can only be the Secretary of Defense.

codhand

Congress Begins Investigation of Botched Foreclosure Review Cover-Up Settlement

Elijah Cummings and Elizabeth Warren have started an investigation of the settlement:
Today, Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-MD) sent a letter to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Comptroller of the Currency Thomas Curry seeking documents relating to their recent settlement with mortgage servicers that ended the Independent Foreclosure Review (IFR) process.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013...d-foreclosure-review-cover-up-settlement.html

Warren puttin in that work.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I will never understand why conservatives have drawn a line in the sand on the Trayvon Martin issue. To make their stand on this, to defend a guy with a history of violence against the murder of a teenage boy, is just baffling. Is every issue now a call to arms to join your side, to never cede an inch of political ground? Whatever they think of Trayvon Martin, he had his life taken away from him too early, no matter what "crime" they thought he committed. To use his name as some punching bag when he can no longer defend himself is disgraceful.

As for that Michael Brown comment - it is the perfect encapsulation of the type of people Republicans install into Government.

If Republicans knew what was good for them, maybe they should now just let a democrat be in charge of FEMA, much like how apparently a Republican can only be the Secretary of Defense.

Racism. I hate to say it like that. I almost never use racism to explain away any of the other "crazy conservative" stuff. But Trayvon Martin is one of the most blatantly disgustingly racist affairs I've ever seen.

That's what radicalization will do. Particularly when the radicalization is along partisan, rather than substantive, lines. By that I mean that a fundamental part of the indoctrination of the right has not been on policy issues but on anti-liberalism and anti-Democrats. So when the radicalization succeeds, it is often going to be expressed in that form.

To be fair, it was a dumbass tweet by Jeffrey.

Seemed perfectly fine to me.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Don't know if this belongs on poli-gaf (is it just US politics?) and I'm still a junior so couldnt make a thread, but I wanted to share a story that's gaining traction in India.

Apparently the Grand Mufti of Kashmir in India, issued a fatwa against the only all-girl rock band there. During their last show, guys stormed the stage and told them they weren't allowed to sing or take such joy in their music. He blamed the girls stating that their music was, "not good for society" and that all of the "bad things currently happening in Indian society are because of music".

Though they faced anonymous death threats before, after the Fatwa, they decided to disband, why? Because the Grand Mufti is the highest authority in Sunni Islam. If they decided to continue, most likely they would have been killed.

I just think it's horrendous. They weren't dressed provocatively. They were teenage muslim girls who started a band, and they were quite good, and now they've had to go into hiding and disband.

Thoughts? Just wanted to share. I love music, and I cannot fathom ever living someplace where I would be killed for wanting to play guitar or etc.

That's awful. Do you have a link to this story and/or their music?

The Martin case has everything to so with race. Zimmerman was just an innocent white guy defending himself, and now the liberal media/Sharpton/Jackson want to throw him in prison. It got even worse once Obama made the son comment.

Martin was a thug and deserved to die, basically, and anyone who denies that is reverse racist against whites.

Madness

http://zeenews.india.com/news/jammu...inst-kashmir-s-all-girl-rock-band_826901.html

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ric-issues-fatwa/story-fncvk70o-1226571022839

Didn't know who they were before this. Just that this story didn't get picked up at all much outside of India. Unlike Pussy Riot who were jailed for breaking into a Church and rocking out, these poor girls are teenagers who just wanted to make music and got what is basically a death sentence handed down on them because of it.

The Grand Mufti of Kashmir is basically the highest Islamic authority. He's got more "sway" than the local head of the state. Kashmir is a state in India and is the reason why India and Pakistan always go to war. Pakistan wants it all because of it's majority muslim population, and Indians don't want to give it up because they know what will happen to the people there.

As for the band, they've disbanded now, and I would bet have gone into hiding. And I bet every other female band would be too terrified to ever perform again.

Jooney

That's what radicalization will do. Particularly when the radicalization is along partisan, rather than substantive, lines. By that I mean that a fundamental part of the indoctrination of the right has not been on policy issues but on anti-liberalism and anti-Democrats

That's where I have landed on this, too. It's opposition for oppositions sake. It just makes me sad that it's on the grave of a 17yo boy were the battle lines are being drawn.

Cat

Wow @ those tweets regarding Trayvon Martin. When I see that, I think people don't understand what happened or what the issue at hand really is. The fact that at some point at school weed was found in his bag has absolutely nothing, NOTHING, to do with how he was gunned down while walking back from 7-11 to pick up some iced tea and Skittles. It doesn't somehow justify the shooter's actions, but that seems to be what some people imply.

That whole story makes me so angry/sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom