• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
After that report from Friday about how growth was absolute shite mainly due to the prior quarter's reduction in defense spending, I'm pretty sure Reps are fully willing to take a hit on further defense cuts if it hurts Obama.

Ecotic

It never fails when I flip to Bill O'Reilly to see what he's squawking about. "... And that's the memo, now let's bring in the two hottest analysts we could find to discuss the matter."

Always with way too much makeup.

Averon

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/poll-iowa-senate-steve-king.php?ref=fpb

Poll Puts Steve King Atop GOP Senate Primary In Iowa

The Republican Party may be dealt another far-right candidate in a potentially competitive U.S. Senate race if a poll released Tuesday is any indication.

Rep. Steve King (R-IA) is the favorite among Iowa Republicans to run in next year’s contest to replace retiring Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), according to the latest survey from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling. The poll showed 41 percent of usual GOP primary voters in the state identifying King as their preferred candidate over three other Republicans. Rep. Tom Latham (R-IA) was a distant second with 22 percent support among Hawkeye State Republicans. Neither King nor Latham so far has declared an intention to run.

Will the establishment GOP intervene to prevent yet another potential Senate seat pickup slip from their fingers?

Piecake

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/poll-iowa-senate-steve-king.php?ref=fpb

Poll Puts Steve King Atop GOP Senate Primary In Iowa

Will the establishment GOP intervene to prevent yet another potential Senate seat pickup slip from their fingers?

You'd think we could get some push for national election standardization and primary reform because of shit like this. You'd think the republican party would at least want to reform primaries so that they stop nominating wackos who can't win a general election

Link

The Autumn Wind
You'd think we could get some push for national election standardization and primary reform because of shit like this. You'd think the republican party would at least want to reform primaries so that they stop nominating wackos who can't win a general election
I think the Rove story is going to end up being the breaking point. The Tea Party is going to eventually split off into their own faction, and the Republican Party is going to be divided.

It's gonna be glorious.

If I'm a liberal with lots of money to throw around then I would consider creating astroturf conservative groups that purport to be incredulous at the notion that Rove & Co. are seeking to maximize establishment support. Tv ads, letter campaigns, the whole nine yards.

EDIT: Pic of former Prime Minister Gordon Brown earlier today at our University. And of all the politicians I've met Gordon Brown is easily in a class of his own. Just a great hour of Q&A with about 20 students.

529305_10151427084260380_955874086_n.jpg

RDreamer

If I'm a liberal with lots of money to throw around then I would consider creating astroturf conservative groups that purport to be incredulous at the notion that Rove & Co. are seeking to maximize establishment support. Tv ads, letter campaigns, the whole nine yards.

It's such a wasted opportunity if no one does this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

God if only I was rich as hell. If I ever win the lotto expect a lot of commercials with the purpose of trolling, Colbert Super Pac SHH! would have nothing on me.

RDreamer

Anti-Gay Marriage arguments just got even crazier.

DOMA BRIEF: Whether the Nation retains the traditional definition of marriage or redefines marriage to include same-sex couples is a social issue with potentially wide-ranging consequences. By their nature, such policy questions cannot be definitively answered by science, professional opinion, or legal reasoning alone. Although we are certainly persuaded by scholarly opinion supporting traditional marriage, the truth is that social science scholars, for instance, disagree about the effects of gay parenting on children. Whatever the ultimate conclusions may be, “nothing in the Constitution requires [government] to accept as truth the most advanced and sophisticated [scientific] opinion.”

PROP 8 BRIEF: Admittedly, there is an active debate within the social sciences over whether some of these common sense judgments are empirically sound. But “nothing in the Constitution requires California to accept as truth the most advanced and sophisticated [scientific] opinion.” Lawmakers – including the people of California – are entitled to “act on various unprovable assumptions,” including those that in “the sum of [their] experience” lead them to conclude that traditional marriage and the family structure it supports deserve distinctive legal protection.

Well.. um... ok then...

Gotchaye

Of course, this is what they have to argue. And they're happy to do it. This is hardly out of the ordinary for right-wing jurisprudence - listen to Scalia: "This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is “actually” innocent."

It's scare quotes as argument. Who cares if you're "actually" innocent? Who cares if the legislature's assumptions aren't "true", or are "refuted" by science?

It's a view of the courts that, on some issues, is so minimalistic that judicial review is completely out the window. Truth is just what the appropriate government body says it is, and the courts don't have any authority to dispute a legislature's fact-finding or to question a legislature's motives.

Edit: Also, in the spirit of fairness, on the gay marriage stuff they're leaning on the idea that the science isn't definitive. They're not, in the quoted bits at least, saying that the government doesn't have to accept settled science, only that it is possible that the most sophisticated scientific opinion out there doesn't necessarily meet some test that would require the government to accept it. Granted, they'll just argue that we know that the science isn't definitive because it's controversial.

Tamanon

Banned
I feel bad for that big Kucinich supporter we used to have. The only thing that would be more heart-crushing to the internet would be if Ron Paul joined Fox.

Wait the "lies from the pit of hell" guy is running for senate in GA?

Dems have a chance of a pick up in the deep south.
I hope Max Cleland gives it another go. The smear campaign waged against him in 2002 was such bullshit.

The key is finding someone who's moderate yet not a thorn in Democrats' side, like Donnelly in Indiana. (That is, Donnelly is an example of someone who's moderate and not a thorn in Democrats' side)

I hope Max Cleland gives it another go. The smear campaign waged against him in 2002 was such bullshit.

The key is finding someone who's moderate yet not a thorn in Democrats' side, like Donnelly in Indiana. (That is, Donnelly is an example of someone who's moderate and not a thorn in Democrats' side)

I'd like someone a bit younger. Is there anyone out of Atlanta?

Dang. Dick Morris was my life blood during the elections.

Same. Lawrence showed a clip of all his crazy predictions. So many memories.

Averon

Dick Morris became the 'face' of GOP denial after the elections. He was resoundingly ridiculed for his shitty predictions. Even FoxNews can see that Morris is a laughing stock now, and keeping him on the network would do them no good.

I'd like someone a bit younger. Is there anyone out of Atlanta?
There's the mayor of Atlanta, Kasim Reed, though he said he won't run.

He has talked up John Barrow and Peter Aman as candidates, however. Side note about Aman - he works at Bain & Co, which is different from Bain Capital but closely related (Romney worked there as well).

Averon

If Hilary runs in 2016, I'm sure Morris will find plenty of gigs. The self-proclaimed experts on all things Clinton will have a host of right-wing outlets scrambling over themselves to get his 'expertise' on Hilary and Bill.

I don't either, though I'm sure republicans will try and use it against him.

And georgia had such a problem with that. I can't see it working on anybody but the GOP party faithful.

Isn't georgia actually pretty good demographically for the dems? It seems like it could be a purple state in the near future.

If Hilary runs in 2016, I'm sure Morris will find plenty of gigs. The self-proclaimed experts on all things Clinton will have a host of right-wing outlets scrambling over themselves to get his 'expertise' on Hilary and Bill.

How did bill ever hire him?

And georgia had such a problem with that. I can't see it working on anybody but the GOP party faithful.

Isn't georgia actually pretty good demographically for the dems? It seems like it could be a purple state in the near future.
Obama's done pretty well there both times. He got 47% in 2008 and 46% in 2012.

Gore got 43% and Kerry got 41%, so yeah, it seems to be getting there. The last Dem to win was Clinton in 92 with a 42% plurality.

How did bill ever hire him?

To be fair, Morris was a pretty good as a political adviser at the time. We may not like the "triangulation" strategy but it worked for Clinton, and was Morris' idea. He was a republican operative before joining Clinton's campaign.

His Clinton/democrat hatred seems to come from being shitcanned after his prostitute fiasco; he felt it was a hypocritical move on Clinton's part and never forgave him.

So Fox has fired Dick Morris and Sarah Palin . . . and hired Kucinich. LOL Of course Kucinich is the punching bag but I think Fox is on board with the Karl Rove plan to wrest control away from the nutty Tea-baggers. Confirmation will come if the neuter Hannity a bit.

I think most people don't give a shit about the photo. However, a bunch people (who hate Obama not matter what) go nuts over it and start conspiracy theory. Other people shake their heads at the paranoid conspiracy crowd.
Definitely. It's just that the positive aspects of releasing it elude me. Perhaps showing the crazy of the right yet again, but they do that on a daily basis.

Jooney

IT WAS ALL A DREAM (ACT).

EDIT: If Rubio's passion for rap gave you a hard on, prepare to get flaccid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4SaiRVf34

Just the same talking points on climate change: there is debate on whether there is scientific consensus, the climate is changing all the time, what's the point of action if we're the only ones committing, etc. The failure to connect the dots beyond "action on climate change may hurt certain industries" is pathetically short-sighted. How about taking the long-term view and realising that failing to take action now means that it's his kids and grand-kids that will be on the cleanup committee.

Chichikov

Two rappers who will've been dead for almost 20 years will surely attract young voters.
He came across as a genuine fan of the music and quite a knowledge one at that, I'm generally not a huge Rubio fan, but he's great in that interview.
And I will not lie, seeing a GOP senator repeating Eazy E's "we're not criminals, we're just reporters" line of defense almost verbatim brought a tear to my eye.
You just lost my vote, Marco.

Biggie > Pac
Until Biggie's ghost raps with Snoop I refuse to even consider that opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom