• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Meanwhile:

Dems move to change federal pot laws

SEATTLE (AP) — An effort is building in Congress to change U.S. marijuana laws, including moves to legalize the industrial production of hemp and establish a hefty federal pot tax.

While passage this year could be a longshot, lawmakers from both parties have been quietly working on several bills, the first of which Democratic Reps. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon and Jared Polis of Colorado plan to introduce Tuesday, Blumenauer told The Associated Press.

Polis’ measure would regulate marijuana the way the federal government handles alcohol: In states that legalize pot, growers would have to obtain a federal permit. Oversight of marijuana would be removed from the Drug Enforcement Administration and given to the newly renamed Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana and Firearms, and it would remain illegal to bring marijuana from a state where it’s legal to one where it isn’t.

bananas

Banned
gnvF6Jn.gif

remist

Seemed perfectly fine to me.

The guy was shot point blank by someone he had no cause to see as a threat. We didn't even know if he was armed at that point. I actually don't mind people making a political or policy point on these tragedies, but you should do it with more tact than a drive-by tweet before you even know half the facts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"How to destroy the tiny morsel laughingly referred to as your 'credibility' in six minutes"

This is the best part:
Todd: My explanation is very easy to understand. It is an object lesson in what happens when a conservative says the same kinds of things that liberals say every day of the week, and nobody cares about--

Interviewer: That is baloney, Todd. I'm sorry, but that is absolute, like ridiculous logic and you can't make this a partisan affair. If anybody were to make a tweet that was offensive, about a young boy that was shot and killed, whatever side of the political spectrum you lie on, you're probably going to be offended by it. It has nothing to do with you being a conservative.

Todd: Wait a minute- people have said all kinds of things about the Columbine killers- and good for 'em! Nobody's offended by that!
...so he just identified the Columbine killers, who massacred a bunch of innocent students, as the Conservative equivalent to the Liberal's Trayvon Martin, who was himself shot and killed by someone else?

You cannot make this shit up.
The guy was shot point blank by someone he had no cause to see as a threat. We didn't even know if he was armed at that point.
Why would anyone make the assumption that someone was armed or was a threat? The entire premise she is referencing is that a good guy with a gun would be able to stop a bad guy with a gun by definition before being killed by that bad guy. :-/ If your point is that argument was already flimsy as crap to begin with and that makes the tweet glib, fine- but familiarizing yourself with the facts does not make it any more or less relevant in this particular incident.

remist

Why would anyone make the assumption that someone was armed or was a threat? The entire premise she is referencing is that a good guy with a gun would be able to stop a bad guy with a gun by definition before being killed by that bad guy. :-/ If your point is that argument was already flimsy as crap to begin with and that makes the tweet glib, fine- but familiarizing yourself with the facts does not make it any more or less relevant in this particular incident.

First of all no one is arguing that if you carry a gun you are by definition safe from any gun violence. I'm saying that this was a unique situation. When you are shot point blank without any warning, then yeah you aren't going to be able stop any bad guys, armed or not. Furthermore we don't even know if the "good guy" had a gun. Just because he was at a range doesn't mean he was armed at that very moment. This certainly makes this incident less relevant to her argument.

User 406

Banned
First of all no one is arguing that if you carry a gun you are by definition safe from any gun violence. I'm saying that this was a unique situation. When you are shot point blank without any warning, then yeah you aren't going to be able stop any bad guys, armed or not. Furthermore we don't even know if the "good guy" had a gun. Just because he was at a range doesn't mean he was armed at that very moment. This certainly makes this incident less relevant to her argument.

It's in no way a unique situation. The situations involving guns that are far more unique are the fantasy set piece scenarios that gun advocates invent where someone has their gun close at hand, is given time to react by an aggressor, and is then able to shoot first and accurately.

Dismissing out of hand situations where the victim "wasn't ready" simply underscores just how disconnected the whole self-defense narrative is from real life gun violence.

No one is arguing that?

Uh, quite the opposite, it's a big party of the push to poor funds everywhere.

Furthermore, the guy who did the shooting was a good guy too....a marine!

Throws out the whole bad guy argument and the argument that a good guy with a gun isn't a threat

gcubed

It will be a long time before something like this goes through. I'd like to see Dems push for laws requiring the federal government to respect state medical marijuana and legalization laws. Make it a states rights push, and watch the GOP contort into a pretzel in opposition.

isn't that what this does? Removes the DEA from dealing with it where states have legalized it, moving the regulation burden to the modified ATMF. Its still illegal and the DEA still prosecutes in states where it is illegal

As much as I hate the term, for this to have any chance to pass, it needs to be framed as a states rights issue.

Wouldn't the feds making it legal on a federal level push the legality of it to the states anyway? A state could still potentially make weed illegal coudln't they?

EDIT: Beaten

As much as I hate the term, for this to have any chance to pass, it needs to be framed as a states rights issue.

While I agree that might be most effective, I hate that frame so much that I wouldn't reinforce it. I would just take the position that a reassessment of federal policy is needed in light of strong democratic statements from parts of the country supporting decriminalization of marijuana.

While I agree that might be most effective, I hate that frame so much that I wouldn't reinforce it. I would just take the position that a reassessment of federal policy is needed in light of strong democratic statements from parts of the country supporting decriminalization of marijuana.

Do you not like federalism?

Chichikov

I don't think saying that the drug scheduling of marijuana only apply to states that don't have specific pot legislation is going to move the needle on federalism one way or the other.
And man, that is going to be a big step in the right direction.

gcubed

Way to go Florida!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/04/3217223/emails-show-legislative-staff.html

Despite new rules that prohibited legislators from coordinating with political parties in the once-a-decade redistricting process, emails show House and Senate staff were in communication with Republican party staff and consultants on the issues

Kirk Pepper, a top aide and political advisor on the state staff of former House Speaker Dean Cannon, sent an email to Reichelderfer in November 2011 with a link to a congressional map, using his personal Dropbox account.

On Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012, Terraferma sent a message to Heffley and Reichelderfer saying “Here is a map…” and the attachment was listed as “Frankenstein.jpg.”

And in April, John Guthrie, the director of the Senate redistricting staff, sent an email with a map attached, using his personal account, to Tony Cortese of the Senate Republican office who then sent it to Bainter.

“Didn’t know if you had seen this,’’ Cortese wrote Bainter

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Ramirez puts Obama's ears at neck level, so they'd be in his collar. This begs the question; what are the ear defenders covering?

kehs

Banned
Farewell Mr.Chu, thank you for plants that drip fuel.

Late last week, the Secretary of Energy, Steven Chu, announced he would not be serving out the second term of the Obama administration. The news had been expected for some time, but Chu waited until after several other prominent members of the administration announced they would not be back.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/steve-chu-says-goodbye-to-the-department-of-energy/

Letter from Secretary Steven Chu to Energy Department Employees Announcing His Decision Not to Serve a Second Term

I’ve always been inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, who articulated his Dream of an America where people are judged not by skin color but “by the content of their character.” In the scientific world, people are judged by the content of their ideas. Advances are made with new insights, but the final arbitrator of any point of view are experiments that seek the unbiased truth, not information cherry picked to support a particular point of view. The power of our work is derived from this foundation.

This is the approach I’ve brought to the Department of Energy, where I believe we should be judged not by the money we direct to a particular State or district, company, university or national lab, but by the character of our decisions. The Department of Energy serves the country as a Department of Science, a Department of Innovation, and a Department of Nuclear Security.

CBO released revised predictions for the next 10 years.

Via Brad Plumer of WaPo

The federal deficit in 2013 is expected to be under $1 trillion for the first time in five years. $845 billion to be precise. Though remember, that’s assuming the sequester spending cuts — or something similar — take effect:

Under current law, federal debt is projected to hover around 73 percent of GDP for the next five years. That’s far higher than the postwar average of 39 percent. And the debt-to-GDP ratio will then start rising again in the latter half of the decade:

Health-care spending and interest payments on the debt are both rising as a percentage of GDP, while spending on everything else is falling. In fact, by 2020 the CBO projects that we’ll be spending as much on interest payments as we are on the Pentagon’s budget or on non-defense discretionary spending:

The economic news is bleak too. The U.S. economy isn’t expected to return to its full potential until 2017.

Growth is expected to pick up after 2014, but U.S. unemployment will stay elevated for years to come. “As a result of that stronger economic growth, the unemployment rate in CBO’s forecast falls from 8.0 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013 to 6.8 percent in the fourth quarter of 2015 and then declines gradually to 5.5 percent in the fourth quarter of 2018.”

I'm hoping these numbers are too conservative. Not a great report.

edit: of course if they kick sequester down the road a year, things will be much better (though the deficit will be higher which is good IMO but others will be mad)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Via Brad Plumer of WaPo

edit: of course if they kick sequester down the road a year, things will be much better (though the deficit will be higher which is good IMO but others will be mad)

Just from what you posted they may be thinking the sequester actually goes through which means its probably a conservative estimate.

AmfruEK.jpg

It's actually...clever?

Too bad it is ruined by putting in words what it is because conservatives wouldn't get it, otherwise.

Clever? How?

I presume what he is trying to say is that Obama is getting a backlash (backfire) by putting out an alleged photoshopped picture (potrayed by the white around the gun) of him shooting a gun.

But . .
Backlash? Haters gonna hate.
Photoshop? Another conspiracy theory! . . . I think that hurts Obama's opponents more.

Releasing the picture was pointless and just gave the right what they wanted. More talk about Obama being out of touch with gun owners. Should have made it public much later or through different unofficial channels.

I don't understand why the cbo bothers with 10 year forecasts when dumb people only use it to retroactively discredit then.

Amir0x

Banned
JUST because FUCK TOM CORBETT UP THE FUCKING FACE:

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) announced Tuesday that his state will turn down the Medicaid expansion, becoming the first governor of a blue state to officially say no to the coverage provision of the Affordable Care Act that the Supreme Court made optional.

Cannot goddamn wait to get this vile fucking worm out of office.

Link

To the contrary, if they kick the sequester down the road (hopefully forever by repealing it), then the deficit will be lower. Government spending generates private income which generates tax receipts. Spending cuts stifle private incomes which reduces tax receipts and generates deficits.

Gotchaye

To the contrary, if they kick the sequester down the road (hopefully forever by repealing it), then the deficit will be lower. Government spending generates private income which generates tax receipts. Spending cuts stifle private incomes which reduces tax receipts and generates deficits.

In 2013?

bububu 10 million jobs regardless!

uh, it still projects that. 5.5 UE rate in 2018.

Speaking short term, here.

I wonder what the UE will be at the end of this year (assuming sequester is eliminated or replaced)

Much like the last few months of last year, I think the UE rate won't be very good as an indicator this year.

I think we'll see more people return to the workforce driving the UE rate up as they try to find jobs for the first time in a long while.

The UE remaining flat this year, for the most part, wouldn't be unsurprising but employment could jump a good amount.

Zigzz14

JUST because FUCK TOM CORBETT UP THE FUCKING FACE:

Cannot goddamn wait to get this vile fucking worm out of office.

Link

Any idea who might actually run on the Dem side? Sestak? I feel like any not terrible candidate (Onaratto) has a great chance to beat Corbett. None of the people at my work like him and my work colleagues definately lean conservative. He has been a truly terrible governor.

Releasing the picture was pointless and just gave the right what they wanted. More talk about Obama being out of touch with gun owners. Should have made it public much later or through different unofficial channels.
I think most people don't give a shit about the photo. However, a bunch people (who hate Obama not matter what) go nuts over it and start conspiracy theory. Other people shake their heads at the paranoid conspiracy crowd.

Piecake

Via Brad Plumer of WaPo

Solution, cut health care benefits so that the taxpayers pay a lot more, but the government pays less

Ideal solution

Liberal states seriously need to get to fucking work on single payer systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom