• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubio's speech will be in Spanish btw. He's pretty good at giving speeches, as his RNC one showed. Can't say I've been impressed by him on the stump though. He hasn't done much of anything in the senate; I suppose in that sense he is the republican Obama. And while he's currently beating the drum on immigration I won't believe it until he actually votes for a bill.

I'm really pleased that Fox News has declined so much. It seems that the people are finally starting to realize the bullshit it spews. It truly is nothing but a propaganda station.

TPM said:
Pretty amazed by this. Sen. Levin appears to have consented to Sen. Cruz’s demand for an open-ended investigation into every speech Hagel gave in the last four years and what “foreign governments and foreign agents” may have influenced him.

Smh

Much has been made in recent weeks about the NRA's political strength, but PPP's newest national poll finds more voters consider their endorsement to be a negative than a positive. 39% say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who had the NRA's support to just 26% who say they'd be more likely to, with 32% saying it wouldn't influence them one way or the other. Among independents 41% consider an NRA endorsement to be a turn off to 27% who say it's a plus.

NRA being delegitimized since Sandy pretty hard.

Tamanon

Banned
Is this some veiled insinuation that Hagel's comments re:Israel are the result if him being in league with Iran or something? Seriously, WTF is this, someone help me out.

Or finally a brave Senator is wanting to investigate the influence of Israel on the US political system!

(CNN) -- It's best not to monkey around with Donald Trump -- or maybe that's a bad choice of words.

The billionaire real estate mogul is suing millionaire comedian Bill Maher for $5 million.

Why?

Because Maher said -- in jest, as comedians are wont to do -- that he would donate $5 million to a charity if Trump could prove he wasn't the "the spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan."

"I'm not saying it's true," Maher told Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" last month.

"I hope it's not true, but unless he comes up with proof ... I'm willing to offer $5 million to Donald Trump that he can donate to a charity of his choice -- Hair Club for Men; The Institute for Incorrigible Douche-bag-ery. Whatever charity."

What a waste of resources...

What a waste of space...

fixed

There was a conservative GAFer who really loved Rubio, but I forget who. He always mentioned how Rubio's backstory was so inspirational, and how well he spoke.

Damn...I can't remember who it was though.

image.php

Rubio's speech will be in Spanish btw. He's pretty good at giving speeches, as his RNC one showed. Can't say I've been impressed by him on the stump though. He hasn't done much of anything in the senate; I suppose in that sense he is the republican Obama. And while he's currently beating the drum on immigration I won't believe it until he actually votes for a bill.

It'll be subtitled in Spanish?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Excellent. Alienate the base right off the bat. Should be fun.

And suddenly, Scott Brown not running in the special election makes sense. Why represent constituents when you can make money spreading propaganda with no consequences instead? Can we make "DeMint" a verb?

Excellent. Alienate the base right off the bat. Should be fun.

John and Ken on local radio here in LA are crazy. At least they used to be. I had to listen to them in the carpool I was in coming home from LA. Not listened to their crap in years though. Anyway, they blamed almost everything on the illegals. They hate any idea that involves a path to citizenship and can't stand that the US doesn't have English as the official language. They used to even complain about cities having to print multiple forms as waste. Flat out insane.

I might actually have to listen in to their show and see how they’re responding to immigration reform and a repub giving a SOTU rebuttal in Spanish. I'm sure it will be salty.

Link

The Autumn Wind
They had a separate guy give a spanish speech with the same content last year if my memory serves me right it was. I don't think thats a big deal at all.
It's not a big deal. To sane, rational people. But that's not who I'm referring to.

It's not a big deal. To sane, rational people. But that's not who I'm referring to.

I was responding to PD's insinuation that by highlighting the fact that Rubio speaks spanish it will make a difference. (Though I hope he speaks better than our other Spanish Speaking president) If it the same speech as it will be in english then I don't think it'll gain traction. I'd be interested if they change it

I think also that the Spanish speech will only be on univision not that the Spanish speech will be the main speech.

Jooney

Why would Scott Brown run again? He just got beat badly in November, and the Tea Party support that propelled him to victory in 2010 has fizzled. He's either done with politics or will wait for the appropriate cycle to run again. Might as well make some easy money at Fox while he's biding his time.

He's such a cartoon character. He simply refuses to answer any question with Nate Silver in it. I think he knows the days of punditry are over.

I was responding to PD's insinuation that by highlighting the fact that Rubio speaks spanish it will make a difference. (Though I hope he speaks better than our other Spanish Speaking president) If it the same speech as it will be in english then I don't think it'll gain traction. I'd be interested if they change it

I think also that the Spanish speech will only be on univision not that the Spanish speech will be the main speech.

I didn't insinuate anything, I merely stated he will be giving the response in Spanish, and it will be subtitled for English audiences. Steve Deace just mentioned he talked to some conservative grata roots operatives who aren't happy about it.

He'll get 35-40% of the Hispanic vote, which is enough to win under normal circumstances. The asterisk will be whether Hillary runs

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Didn't we all decide this was an incredibly stupid idea last year?

Maddow did a segment a few weeks back suggesting that because the election is over, bills like this would attract far less attention, and thus far less backlash.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What is it with Republicans going Godwin over pretty much everything imagineable?

In criticizing the private college presidents, Representative Virginia Foxx, the North Carolina Republican who leads the subcommittee on higher education, adapted the famous statement from the German theologian Martin Niemöller on Germans who ignored Nazi persecution. ("First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out because I was not a communist.")

" 'They came for the for-profits, and I didn't speak up...' " Foxx said. "Nobody really spoke up like they should have."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...ation-of-for-profit-colleges-to-the-Holocaust

The fact that ignorance is now increasingly becoming a "legitimate" point of view is starting to slowly erode my faith in democracy and and my cynicsim more or less making me think the US should become more authoritarian to control peoples complete stupidity. Yeah, I know in practice it'll be abused to hell and back, but goddamn, I wanna get rid of all these people on Facebook, but I work with them and they provide useful intel to me outside of politics.

Here's my new solution to the gun debate.

You wanna own a Military Grade rifle, in masse? Pass the EXACT same background checks and training the Secret Service go through. I'm talking courses, safety, and all. Considering how long that takes, at minimum, of two years or so, only those who REAAAAAAAAALLLY want it will go through with it AND pass it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I didn't insinuate anything, I merely stated he will be giving the response in Spanish, and it will be subtitled for English audiences. Steve Deace just mentioned he talked to some conservative grata roots operatives who aren't happy about it.

He'll get 35-40% of the Hispanic vote, which is enough to win under normal circumstances. The asterisk will be whether Hillary runs

I highly doubt that. He'll get the Cuban vote though.

Jooney

You are wrong as usual.

In PD's defence, I would expect to see that figure rise if:
- Rubio got the nomination
- GOP help pass immigration reform
- No republicans say anything stupid about latino immigrants that the DEMS can jump on

That's a big "if" though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
In PD's defence, I would expect to see that figure rise if:
- Rubio got the nomination
- GOP help pass immigration reform
- No republicans say anything stupid about latino immigrants that the DEMS can jump on

That's a big "if" though.

He'll have to do more than that. I'm not sure you guys understand the Hispanic population in the US. Those are similar favorabilities that Romney had.

Why do you assume only his rating will go up as he gets more exposure? His negatives will go up as well, just by virtue of GOP's rhetoric. They can't help themselves. 24% favorability among hispanics is a serious deficit to start from. He is nothing but a teaparty charlatan that can speak Spanish.
He'll have to do more than that. I'm not sure you guys understand the Hispanic population in the US. Those are similar favorabilities that Romney had.
Exactly. Hispanics aren't a monolithic voting block that will automatically vote for a Spanish speaker. Besides, just wait and see how Rubio will get annihilated in primaries over his immigration backing. All this talk of him being a national candidate is moot.

And? It's 2013; he won't be truly running until 2015. He'll be quite well known by the time he gets the nomination (if he does, of course). His nomination alone would garner a level of pride and interest within the Hispanic community; I'm not saying he'll win the Hispanic vote by default, but he will over-perform what non-Hispanic republicans have managed to do due to his race.

And if he runs against a "boring" candidate like Cuomo or O'Malley, all bets are off. I don't think he'll have any problem moderating his stances in a general election, as Romney showed last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom