• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
I don't understand what Republicans have to gain from this. Obama already won his second term, and everyone paying more in taxes goes against their tax belief completely.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, presidents get the blame for recessions, which is what would happen if republicans refused to extend the middle income tax cuts next year. I believe they'll extend them in January, early. Boehner will surely fuck around and send a bill to the floor that extends all the tax cuts, but he will eventually send the middle income tax cuts.

This has been one of the worst stunts in years, republicans look horrible right now. Most people are on Obama's side by a large margin, and he'll win if he holds steady. Alas I expect some bullshit cave tomorrow, but republicans will be too stupid to take it.

If he does cave and they don't take it then they look even worse and Obama has an even stronger hand going into January.

How insanely transparent is this useless bickering.
I know, i's all politics but really it's just too high you can't call it a cliff, it's a mountain.

watershed

Banned
I don't understand what Republicans have to gain from this. Obama already won his second term, and everyone paying more in taxes goes against their tax belief completely.

There's also the idea that while the national republican brand may take a hit for going over the fiscal cliff, most house republicans are from districts conservative enough that they won't be blamed for not compromising with Obama. They risk more by compromising and inviting a primary challenger on the right than they do by not compromising and inviting a more centrist primary challenger. Gerrymandering helps with that too.

Tim-E

Hai guise.

My self-imposed GAF blackout is over. I miss this community too much. I just need to ignore the gaming side so I don't get myself in trouble.

edit:

I'll share some of my holiday family discussions. I had an uncle talking about the auto bailout, saying Chrysler is no longer an American company, Romney was right on not intervening, and the federal government is losing money on their shares of these companies they bought. I thought about jumping in, but I sat quietly and enjoyed the mourning.

My grandmother also spent a lot of time complaining about how Obama sometimes goes on vacations.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Has this been posted?

A Casey County man says the life-sized mannequin in his front yard of President Obama holding a slice of watermelon was meant as a joke and not a racist display.

"The way I look at it, it's freedom of speech," said Danny Hafley. "I don't know how other people will take it."

Hafley bought the Obama mask on sale after Halloween and put up the display around the time of November's presidential election.

The mannequin, dressed in a grey suit, clip-on tie and blue-collared shirt, was originally standing in Hafley's yard but the homeowner decided it would look better near the road.

When asked the reason behind the watermelon, Hafley responded that he thought the figure "might get hungry standing out here."

I think the only political subject I'm going to talk about openly from now on is gerrymandering. It's the number one reason why Congress is so dysfunctional, and I'm sick of it not being discussed more.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The problem with the entire countries approach to drugs is that they treat it like a dirty crime instead of a internal issue that needs the help and guidance of friends, family and even your government. It's better for the individual, better for the community, better for the country. All statistics back this up and in general it's just a nicer thing to do: stigmatizing drug use has many detrimental effects on the person who is being stigmatized.

And one of the things that lends to our problem of drugs are some on the left that want all drugs legalized for recreational usage. Drugs ruins people and it ruins families, but some people don't want to admit this.

But on the other hand alcohol can be equally as bad in some extreme situations so........

slit

You have too much faith in Obama.

I don't understand why he has to be THAT conciliatory. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's not stubborn and pig-headed like the far right in the GOP, but you've got to stand your ground sometimes. Bill Clinton did against far greater odds.

There is a disturbing trend of glorifying ignorant sluts recently. Between the tweets about the president during the football game interruption to the tweets about HW in the hospital to something trivial and stupid as this, it is curious why anyone gives these people any kind of attention instead of just ignoring them like we used to.

watershed

Banned
There is a disturbing trend of glorifying ignorant sluts recently. Between the tweets about the president during the football game interruption to the tweets about HW in the hospital to something trivial and stupid as this, it is curious why anyone gives these people any kind of attention instead of just ignoring them like we used to.

I'm confused by your use of sluts. Are we so certain of their gender or is there a reason to use a gendered term to describe both ignorant men and women?

Hai guise.

My self-imposed GAF blackout is over. I miss this community too much. I just need to ignore the gaming side so I don't get myself in trouble.

edit:

I'll share some of my holiday family discussions. I had an uncle talking about the auto bailout, saying Chrysler is no longer an American company, Romney was right on not intervening, and the federal government is losing money on their shares of these companies they bought. I thought about jumping in, but I sat quietly and enjoyed the mourning.

My grandmother also spent a lot of time complaining about how Obama sometimes goes on vacations.

The only issue I ran into was with my grandmother who said Obama was stupid. She said she liked Paul Ryan and that he was smart, and I shot that down immediately.

Why not post the picture?

9A0578EDE82CAB0F162986DAC1205D45_292_292.jpg

Clevinger

I don't understand why he has to be THAT conciliatory. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's not stubborn and pig-headed like the far right in the GOP, but you've got to stand your ground sometimes. Bill Clinton did against far greater odds.

Did he? He cut welfare, repealed glass-steagall, signed DOMA, signed DADT. Obama and Clinton are peas in a shitty liberal pod.

Quick question, folks: remember the birth control debate? Wasn't what Obama was doing with birth control something that was backed by a women's health bill back in the 90s or 2000s?

besada

Banned
They get to vote against raising taxes, then, when the taxes go up, they get to vote to cut taxes, all of which plays better to the people who are going to vote for them in the primaries than going along with an Obama approved plan.

LosDaddie

Banned
RE: Political Discussions w/The Fam During the Holidays

Thankfully, I didn't spend Christmas with my Birther/Culture Warrior/Limbaugh-listening in-laws, so it was a good time. We stayed at my bro's house for the 4-day Christmas weekend. Sadly, my bro has begun listening to the nutjobs on AM radio and watching Fox News, so he's becoming more radicalized each passing year. He had on Fox News one morning, and I just laughed at the obvious bullshit they were spewing. Literally LOLing watching it as FNC discussing the War on Christmas. My bro made a couple comments, and I just trolled him. We ended up just playing some games after about 30min.

He took me to the Jags vs Patriots games last Sunday, and the suite we were in was decorated with Christmas stuff, and I quipped "Damn bro, someone forgot to tell them there's a War on Christmas!"

It's sad to see him become radicalized. :(

Though I did miss most of the Christmas Eve party hosted by my crazy uncle that went off the deep end after the election and hates me but doesn't hate me because I had to work, so who knows what was said there.

Tell me how you responded to that email. Please tell me you either sent a response, or that you called him. Please tell me you stood up for yourself.

I'm not one for confrontation over the small stuff, but that email is over the line. Like, that is fightin' words right there. That's a level of disrespect I won't stand for. I'd have either beat his ass, or cut him out of my life completely.

Seems your overlooking a core component of the pro-welfare drug testing argument in that none of these things you listed are illegal like drugs are. The argument is against subsidizing criminals, not people who choose not to take care of themselves.

That, and it's also assumed on the pro-testing side that you're already being drug-tested simply by having a job.

Tim-E

I used the example of Florida implementing drug screenings for welfare recipients being more expensive than just paying out benefits like they were on someone and they didn't care. For people who seem to care so much about cost/waste it's hilarious to see them look the other way when it challenges their beliefs.

HylianTom

Banned
The one thing that stood-out to me about my relatives over the holidays: previously, if Obama came on TV before, they'd usually be foaming at the mouth, repeating what they've heard on the radio or on Fox. This was the first time where, with Obama on TV, they remained silent.. which is a pretty remarkable feat for them, as we have a handful of Hannity-wannabes always ready to, errm, pontificate.

I smiled silently and knowingly, and they just looked weary and kinda worn. In retrospect, I'm glad that I didn't drop the ".. and he won with my money! DuN dUN DuUUNNN!" teaser.

TPM
A bipartisan group of senators seeking to avoid a far-reaching filibuster reform proposal has presented Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) with a scaled-back version, according to the Huffington Post.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) said the plan will, as summarized by Huffington Post, "limit the use of the filibuster in some cases, such as on a motion to proceed to debate, and also include provisions allowing for amendments for the minority."

Democratic and Republican sources told TPM the results of the bipartisan negotiations will likely be shared with rank-and-file members during caucus lunches Friday.

Changing filibuster rules ordinarily requires a two-thirds majority. Reid has vowed to use the Constitutional option, if need be, and do so with a bare majority using a rare procedural tool early next month.

###

RDreamer

In addition, Republicans would be granted an extension of the current estate tax, which is a 35 percent rate over a $5 million threshold. The president wants a 45 percent rate on a $3.5 million threshold but would likely be willing to bend, in part because congressional Democrats are skittish about his proposal.

Why in fuck are Democrats skittish about this proposal? I don't get it. This is a good way to get some revenue on people who are literally rich and did nothing to get there.

Why in fuck are Democrats skittish about this proposal? I don't get it. This is a good way to get some revenue on people who are literally rich and did nothing to get there.

probably because most of them are wealthy and they and their big donors would be personally affected by the estate tax increase.

gcubed

A 60-90 day deal is worthless. Just quit. I was watching fox news the other day and they had on the esteemed Alan West asking his opinion as a congressman... He's only got a few days left of being relevant outside of the echo chamber

So in 60-90 days we repeat this mess, if the reports are true. This makes no fucking sense. Victory is days away, yet Obama would rather snatch defeat from its jaws just so David Brooks can say some nice things about him. I say again: leadership matters.

This mere debate harms the economy, yet every 3 or 6 months we repeat it. At what point does the WH realize the recovery is slowly being strangled by this hostage taking, can kicking bullshit? Go over the cliff and do a prime time announcement demanding extension of the middle income cuts. Republicans will fold. They cannot vote to raise taxes, so going over the cliff gives them the chance to lower them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So in 60-90 days we repeat this mess, if the reports are true. This makes no fucking sense. Victory is days away, yet Obama would rather snatch defeat from its jaws just so David Brooks can say some nice things about him. I say again: leadership matters.

This mere debate harms the economy, yet every 3 or 6 months we repeat it. At what point does the WH realize the recovery is slowly being strangled by this hostage taking, can kicking bullshit? Go over the cliff and do a prime time announcement demanding extension of the middle income cuts. Republicans will fold. They cannot vote to raise taxes, so going over the cliff gives them the chance to lower them.

What makes you believe that this whole 3 day push isn't a front by both parties?

Payroll tax extension isn't even being offered? That would piss me right the fuck off. If it happens because we're going over the cliff then so be it. If it happens because of some stupid deal that only accomplishes pushing a deadline down the road another couple months would just be pathetic.

Chichikov

Payroll tax extension isn't even being offered? That would piss me right the fuck off. If it happens because we're going over the cliff then so be it. If it happens because of some stupid deal that only accomplishes pushing a deadline down the road another couple months would just be pathetic.
I'd rather they give in on the top tax rate than this.
Payroll taxes are fucking stupid and need to be done with anyway.

I'd rather they give in on the top tax rate than this.
Payroll taxes are fucking stupid and need to be done with anyway.

It makes it even worse when you consider his supposed hardline stance of, "bring me solutions that raise revenue without hurting the middle and I'll consider them!"

What makes you believe that this whole 3 day push isn't a front by both parties?
Because Obama wants a big deal, and extending this "cliff" would give him another shot at it.

I become more convinced everyday that Brooks is right about one thing: Obama doesn't seem to have any idealogical core. He has some principles about how he thinks things should be done, but in terms of domestic policy I see no aim to his actions outside of "pass big bills and talk to historians about my record/placement." Everything is a pragmatic battle to win at nearly any cost. Social security cuts, Medicare eligibility age raised? Sure, give me a victory.

He seems more like he's checking a box off on a sheet of paper here, with this box being his Reagan/Tip O'Neil moment. Get a big bipartisan deal that people wil fawn over for years, even if its a bad deal.

slit

Did he? He cut welfare, repealed glass-steagall, signed DOMA, signed DADT. Obama and Clinton are peas in a shitty liberal pod.

Yes, he did things I don't agree with, but he did stand up to the GOP when they threatened to shut the gov't down. That gave him a huge victory over the GOP and bolstered his reelection campaign.

codhand

Stopping the government subsidy of milk would be nice, though I reckon a few people would be incredulous about six dollar gallons.

Chichikov

Yes, he did things I don't agree with, but he did stand up to the GOP when they threatened to shut the gov't down. That gave him a huge victory over the GOP and bolstered his reelection campaign.
I don't love speculative history all that much, but I'm pretty damn sure Obama would've vetoed the '96 budget Newt put forward.

As it now stands, Clinton caved on bigger things than Obama.

slit

I don't love speculative history all that much, but I'm pretty damn sure Obama would've vetoed the '96 budget Newt put forward.

As it now stands, Clinton caved on bigger things than Obama.

Yes but the GOP had to cave as well. Right now it SEEMS like, and I emphasize seems, that he'll let the GOP get away with shirking their responsibility. I'm not saying Clinton never caved on things, just that the GOP had to play ball as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom