• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What is it about going to business school that turns people into dicks? I've got a friend that works a minimum wage job and I tell him about the tentative deal for the min. wage increase, he used to bitch about how it needed to be higher, now that he's started business school it's the total opposite. Also he's become a bit of a selfish prick, we go out and I'm short a dollar for the movies and all of a sudden I'm shit out of luck after all the times I've helped him out (he still owes me $20 on top of it). It's freaky.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
What is it about going to business school that turns people into dicks? I've got a friend that works a minimum wage job and I tell him about the tentative deal for the min. wage increase, he used to bitch about how it needed to be higher, now that he's started business school it's the total opposite. Also he's become a bit of a selfish prick, we go out and I'm short a dollar for the movies and all of a sudden I'm shit out of luck after all the times I've helped him out (he still owes me $20 on top of it). It's freaky.

One of my fiancée's friends is earnestly opposed to raising the minimum wage because businesses will raise prices and cut benefits to retain their profit margins.

She works two jobs, a waitress at Denny's and a clerk for a fabric store.

It's Stockholm Syndrome.

That cover gives me chills. I want to go home and hug my son.

I'm surprised a host doesn't do a short segment at the end of the program until current legislation runs its course. If parents of victims consent have tidbits like name, age, picture, etc. I only tune in to CNN and Fox from time to time just in case someone out there is already on it and I just haven't noticed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've know people who went to business school who didn't become dicks.

It's your friend that's the issue.

It's crazy because he used to be the nicest guy you've ever met. If you needed help moving a couch or something and he'd be one of the guys you'd go to. Now it's all fuck you he's got his.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper signed landmark new gun laws on Wednesday expanding background checks on gun purchases and limiting the size of ammunition magazines, placing the traditionally firearm-friendly state among the handful to pass new restrictions in the wake of the shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Well, in light of AWB not passing. At least we have this.

Chichikov

Only super sheltered or feeble minded people have their personality changed drastically by their bachelor degree, I think this more the case of business school attracting greedy assholes.

It's a terrible degree, and I have no idea who fucking thought it prepares you to run a company, any company.

RDreamer

Yeah, it's pretty hit or miss. I think it's easy to slip into that mentality, though. Once you realize you have to really analyze a system and try and exploit and play it as best you can, it's easy to kind of get locked into that sort of thinking.

I actually got a lot more collectivist when I went into marketing, purely because of the power of the tool I'd been taught to use. My boss got a lot more collectivist, too, and he's a business owner and entrepreneur. He actually takes out less money now than I do from the company, purely because he wants to make sure his team doesn't have to worry and can focus on the business.

Only super sheltered or feeble minded people have their personality changed drastically by their bachelor degree, I think this more the case of business school attracting greedy assholes.

It's a terrible degree, and I have no idea who fucking thought it prepares you to run a company, any company.

I remember some article about Businesses not wanting undergrad Business majors because the degree teaches them nothing, they'd rather have English and other liberal arts because they were learning skill such as writing and critical thinking that's actually useful.

Edit: here it is http://gawker.com/5984328/business-professor-dont-major-in-business it was a little bit different than what I remembered but still b-schools are weird. I don't know what you "learn"

RDreamer

I remember some article about Businesses not wanting undergrad Business majors because the degree teaches them nothing, they'd rather have English and other liberal arts because they were learning skill such as writing and critical thinking that's actually useful.

Edit: here it is http://gawker.com/5984328/business-professor-dont-major-in-business it was a little bit different than what I remembered but still b-schools are weird. I don't know what you "learn"

Here's another thing on it

Kind of weird that they really learn that little. I feel like there's a lot you could teach, so why aren't they?

I went to school for Graphic Design with a Marketing minor, and I was with a lot of Business and Communications majors in my Marketing classes. I think I had assumed that Business majors would just do more of that mixed with some more technical things like learning about payroll stuff, money management, and maybe some economics and business history or something. I dunno.

xnipx

What the fuck do business majors actually learn?

Tax evasion. How to squeeze as much value from lower level employees as possible. Profit maximization. How to write a useless business proposal you'll never use in the real world. Case studies on failed business practices and how to avoid them.

Another sad shockingly surprised Reid.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) on Tuesday threatened to revisit the Senate rules amid the latest Republican filibuster — his second such threat this month.While the Senate waits to wrap up passage of a stopgap bill to fund the government, Democratic leaders want to begin debate on the budget resolution. But Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) is blocking that unless Reid agrees to vote on his sequester amendment, which Reid won’t do because Democratic leaders don’t want to replace the automatic cuts in patchwork measures. So they’ll have to wait out the delays and finish the stopgap bill before moving on to the budget.

“It is things like that that will cause the Senate to have to reassess all the rules because right now they accomplish so little,” Reid said on the Senate floor. “I’m disappointed.”

It’s an idle threat for now because there’s little indication that Democratic leaders are willing to reignite another painful filibuster reform battle after the last one ended with a whimper this January. Nor do they want to raise expectations for changing the rules mid-session. But the many GOP filibusters since the rules change have left Democrats deeply frustrated.

Reid’s remarks were backed up by Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA), the author of the Democrats’ budget, who also took to the floor late Tuesday to bash Republicans for stalling. Democratic aides privately claim the GOP-enforced delays reflect their unpreparedness for the budget process — while Dems believe they’ve united their caucus around the Murray budget. The majority leader continued his criticism of Republican delays on Wednesday.

“Republicans were desperate, they said, to have a budget debate. Republicans were desperate for an amendment vote-a-rama,” Reid said in a morning floor speech. “So I was amazed yesterday — I mean amazed, flabbergasted, stunned — when Republicans blocked attempts to begin debate on the budget resolution.”

Moran refused to back down after Reid’s remarks and again demanded a vote on his measure, which would mitigate the sequester’s cuts to air traffic control towers. He claimed 26 cosponsoring senators, many of them Democrats.

“I can’t figure out why this amendment can’t be made in order,” Moran said. “Broad support — Republican, Democrat, I’ve had many senators, including very senior senators from the Democrat side of [the] aisle, come to me and express amazement this amendment cannot be considered. I can’t come up with an explanation.”

Wilsongt

It's a wonderful day in South Carolina!

SC panel approves bill opposing federal law

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A House panel has advanced a bill declaring South Carolina's opposition to the federal health care law.

The measure approved Wednesday 4-2 along party lines would put Republican lawmakers' well-known opposition into state law. It says no state employee could help enforce provisions of the federal law.

The vote was met by applause from a room packed with supporters.

Democratic Rep. James Smith of Columbia says the bill is nothing more than political theater that changes nothing.

The bill made any federal employee attempting to enforce the law a felon. But Republican Reps. Tommy Pope and Rick Quinn said the state cannot put federal judges in prison.

Their amendment threw out the punishments. The bill reaffirms the Legislature's right to pass legislation later.

I want to punch Harry Reid in the throat.

Such a fucking fraud. He knew damn well this would keep happening.
I simply do not understand how there was not enough push for real reform. There is no reason to believe that republicans will win the senate in 2014 or 2016, especially not 2016. There is every reason to believe that democrats would get two two term presidents presiding over a relatively peace time recovery which combined with demographic shifts could kill or greatly moderate the Republican party. Why be a pussy in light of this...

I think we need a grassroots(ish) campaign demanding a new majority leader.
In 2016, he will come

feingoldhearts_zpsff79bb08.gif

Wow at the anti-B School rants. Some people learn accounting, marketing, how to budget and manage.

No, I have not been to business school myself, but I am appalled at the idea that anyone who did is a robber baron or fraud.

pigeon

Banned
Wow at the anti-B School rants. Some people learn accounting, marketing, how to budget and manage.

Perhaps in anti-business school they do! That would make sense, since all the people I've met who went to business school learned the exact opposite of all those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom