• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing. A single isolated bombing incident prompts immediate talk of "background checks" on groups not even confirmed involved. Yet background checks on gun sales to try to curb the hundreds(?) injured and dying every day from gun violence is unreasonable.

Indeed. And in fact the NRA defends the ability of people on the TSA no-fly list to be able to buy guns. Gotta keep those gun sales going.

Oh, an in light of the bombings, may I remind people that the NRA fought against mandating chemical taggants being added to explosive materials in order to help with bombing investigations.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...h-to-citizenship-is-the-real-deal.php?ref=fpa

I actually am really surprised at the immigration bill. It does have a path to citizenship. The border security things are silly but are probably the only thing that is gonna get any bill passed.

Bring on those future democratic voters.

This is interesting, in order not to push them to the front of the line they seemingly have removed the annual cap on Green cards if you meet certain qualifications (living here, know english, etc.) thats a big deal IMO

In addition to these protected immigrants, the same “merit based” category would also use a different set of rules to clear millions of existing green card applications which have glutted up into a massive bottleneck due to annual caps on visas. Like the border security measures, getting these cleared is another precondition to giving the undocumented population green cards. Under the bill, green card applications filed before it passes that have been pending for three years in the employment category or five years in the family category could be expedited this way.

Chichikov

So the taxes are done for everyone that chooses to particapate (whom don't itemized their deductions) by the government and they rebate you or collect based on what your dependent number is and your wages (which are calculated by your employer) through out the year?

That seems complicated, but so is the current situation too. Hmmm.....I can see something like this working if done right and at one piece at a time.

But can you imagine the what Alex, Limbaugh, Hannity, and Beck would say if Obama pushed for this form of "efficiency"? LOL!
Why would that be complicated?
I can't think of a reason why it can't be fully automated (and honestly, I would argue that if such reason exists, that should probably the first area we try to simplify).

Steve King never was going to vote for immigration reform. He has to be one of the biggest race-baiters in congress.

May 2012

Rep. Steve King: Immigrants are like dogs
Updated: On Monday, the Iowa GOP rep used a degrading metaphor to describe how America should select immigrants

King told the crowd in Pocahontas, Iowa, that he’s owned lots of bird dogs over the years and advised, “You want a good bird dog? You want one that’s going to be aggressive? Pick the one that’s the friskiest … not the one that’s over there sleeping in the corner.”

King suggested lazy immigrants should be avoided as well. “You get the pick of the litter and you got yourself a pretty good bird dog. Well, we’ve got the pick of every donor civilization on the planet,” King said.
Scum.

He wants to destroy the immigration reform. His district is safe from the "Latino problem" of GOP. That is why he can make allegories to pets when talking about Immigrants without any repercussions.

Wow, great way to explain that in easy to understand language. So it looks like your saying to keeps the benefits the same, some group(s) of people will have to pay a slight higher amount in taxes or just ask the FED to create "x" of more dollars to cover the baby boomer SS cost.

Yeah, or not even "create X more dollars," but just deficit spend them like it deficit spends in the normal course.*

* To me, these are equivalent acts, but I understand that others think there is a difference between deficit spending and creating US dollars.

People are still not understanding that the haster rule is gone. They only need united democrats and like 20 republicans.

Agreed but a complete revolt in the House, Fox, Limbaugh, etc could hurt the bill's senate chances; plus many republican senators will attempt to kill the process with ridiculous amendments. It remains to be seen how republicans - specifically Rubio - will handle this once it moves from bipartisan goodwill to partisan bickering, Obama giving speeches*, potential protests during the spring/summer recess, etc.

Rubio deserves a lot of credit for holding the far right at bay, but he could bail if this becomes Obamacare 2.0 or Bush's immigration push redux.

*not blaming Obama or criticizing just noting that the more he pushes for this, the more the far right will froth.

Agreed but a complete revolt in the House, Fox, Limbaugh, etc could hurt the bill's senate chances; plus many republican senators will attempt to kill the process with ridiculous amendments. It remains to be seen how republicans - specifically Rubio - will handle this once it moves from bipartisan goodwill to partisan bickering, Obama giving speeches*, potential protests during the spring/summer recess, etc.

Rubio deserves a lot of credit for holding the far right at bay, but he could bail if this becomes Obamacare 2.0 or Bush's immigration push redux.

*not blaming Obama or criticizing just noting that the more he pushes for this, the more the far right will froth.

True, I mean this happened in 2006 but unless a true grassroots effort starts I don't see a large "revolt" happening. The establishment wants a bill passed. If it doesn't you better bet these immigration groups are going to be working there ass off in 2014.

True, I mean this happened in 2006 but unless a true grassroots effort starts I don't see a large "revolt" happening. The establishment wants a bill passed. If it doesn't you better bet these immigration groups are going to be working there ass off in 2014.

I'm not so sure, all it might take is Rubio bailing due to outrage over the pathway to citizenship. McCain and Graham seem legitimately interested in passing something, but if Rubio decides walking away is more beneficial to his career...?. Sen. Sessions and others seem hell bent on blowing this thing up once it reaches the floor, who knows if it can survive the amendment process, Reid rejecting some amendments, complaints about the process going to fast, etc.

Some states legislate against employment discrimination, some states don't, but my state is trying to specifically protect discrimination. States sure are great incubators of compelling policy ideas!
In Louisiana, nothing in the law explicitly protects LGBT from employment discrimination, and Seabaugh seems to want to keep it that way. Under this bill, any lawsuit alleging wrongful termination based on a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity would be automatically dismissed as “frivolous,” ensuring that all employers are free to discriminate without fear of civil action.

In an interview on NBC, Jindal, a Republican, said: “Bottom line, at the end of the day, we want our kids to be exposed to the best facts. Let’s teach them about the big bang theory, let’s teach them about evolution – I’ve got no problem if a school board, a local school board, says we want to teach our kids about creationism, that people, some people, have these beliefs as well, let’s teach them about ‘intelligent design.’”

RACE TO THE BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link

The Autumn Wind
You want your kids to be taught intelligent design, you can pay for them to go to a private school that teaches it. Otherwise, fuck off.

You want your kids to be taught intelligent design, you can pay for them to go to a private school that teaches it. Otherwise, fuck off.

Jindal is actively attempting to use taxpayer money to send kids to private schools that can teach intelligent design, so that doesn't fly here.

Jindal is actively attempting to use taxpayer money to send kids to private schools that can teach intelligent design, so that doesn't fly here.

I can't really even parse that. Once you are using tax-payer money, it really isn't 'private' any more. It is public. They like to try to hide that by calling it 'voucher'. No, if tax-payer money is paying then no creationism. First Amendment says no law respecting an establishment of religion.

Angry Fork

They shouldn't be allowed to do that either imo, as it still creates stupid voters and spreads ignorance. Just one of the reasons private schools should be gotten rid of entirely.

Link

The Autumn Wind
He specifically mentions allowing it if school boards decide it, so it sounds like two separate issues.

They shouldn't be allowed to do that either imo, as it still creates stupid voters and spreads ignorance. Just one of the reasons private schools should be gotten rid of entirely.
I wouldn't go that far.

dollard.png

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
God, I hope that the bombings were done by the Aryan Brotherhood or some other White power terrorists. Would be hilarious to see the right wing reaction.

Link

The Autumn Wind
God, I hope that the bombings were done by the Aryan Brotherhood or some other White power terrorists. Would be hilarious to see the right wing reaction.
"Those individuals are a small minority and do not represent our party's views."

Meanwhile, "Kill all Muslims!"

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm a bit confused on this gun control legislation: What exactly passed last week in the Senate? The ability to debate on any gun bill? Or was there a specific bill being voted on? And why does Manchin-Toomey need 60 votes? Because it's an amendment to said bill?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm a bit confused on this gun control legislation: What exactly passed last week in the Senate? The ability to debate on any gun bill? Or was there a specific bill being voted on? And why does Manchin-Toomey need 60 votes? Because it's an amendment to said bill?

All they decided was to allow debate. Yes you can filibuster the start of debate.

May 2012

Rep. Steve King: Immigrants are like dogs

Scum.

He wants to destroy the immigration reform. His district is safe from the "Latino problem" of GOP. That is why he can make allegories to pets when talking about Immigrants without any repercussions.

And he calls people who have to cross a southern border, on foot, all so they can get a job washing dishes, cleaning, doing yard work, picking crops, construction, etc., lazy.

RACE TO THE BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's teach kids about exorcising demons!

:jnc

911 is the reason presidential transitions are more serious than before, though. Bush was president for about seven months before the attack; obviously he didn't pay attention to a certain red flag memo he was given in August though, so I wouldn't blame the transition/Clinton. Still, I'm glad administrations are better at that now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't realize you could filibuster debate without legislation before you. That's... hmm.

You can filibuster at practically every point in the passage of a bill. Remember the old.school house rock thing? They left out the 10 or so cloture votes required to pass a bill.

ivysaur12

Banned
You can filibuster at practically every point in the passage of a bill. Remember the old.school house rock thing? They left out the 10 or so cloture votes required to pass a bill.

So why is Manchin Toomey being referred to as an amendment? And why does it also require 60 votes? Because the filibuster was only on debate, not on the bill itself?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, only after cloture. Then it's 50+1. What I'm wondering is, if they voted on cloture, was it only cloture for debate but not cloture on this specific bill?

There are many points that can be filibustered when the senate is considering a bill. They only voted to allow debate from what I remember. There are still a bunch of other points in the process where they need 60 votes.

Can somebody tell me the difference between per capita income and median personal income?
Per capita: Add everybody's income up and divide by the number of people

Median: If you have 11 people, the one who makes the 6th most is the median. Half the people make more than the median, half the people make less

Per capita: Add everybody's income up and divide by the number of people

Median: If you have 11 people, the one who makes the 6th most is the median. Half the people make more than the median, half the people make less

Isn't it just a mean/median thing?

Ah I see. Its just that in my "Is the model minority stereotype a myth?" I noticed that when using median income with a lot of Asian groups they compared favorably to whites, but once it used per capita they literally lost like half their income.

So that would mean that there is a large divide between poor Asians and rich Asians I assume. It really confused me. Just like that health care "data" from the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom