• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah I see. Its just that in my "Is the model minority stereotype a myth?" I noticed that when using median income with a lot of Asian groups they compared favorably to whites, but once it used per capita they literally lost like half their income.

So that would mean that there is a large divide between poor Asians and rich Asians I assume. It really confused me. Just like that health care "data" from the other day.

Yeah. Data set:

Per capita income = about 100,000
Median income = 1

This is why distribution is important!

(But Gallant has the correct interpretation of your particular data.)

Link

The Autumn Wind
From Joe the Plumber's website:

3553_10151409640139296_894169269_n.jpg
God, that shitstain is still around?

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder how much he charged his "web development team" through his SuperPAC for that. I expect it was a tidy amount...and he owns his web development team!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh my god, if this becomes an actual thing I will be pissed. I already have to deal with enough stupid shit, I refuse to deal with this crap as well.

You think that's bad? I was browsing Sean Hannity's twitter feed just to see if there was anything lol worthy, and I came across this:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/322882658784927745

Read the comments all the way down (if you're able to). To see how far down the rabbit hole we've gone, we now have people claiming Sean Hannity (!!!!!) being a part of the Obama/Clinton conspiracy to cover up Benghazi!

The original tweet had nothing to do with Benghazi, btw.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You think that's bad? I was browsing Sean Hannity's twitter feed just to see if there was anything lol worthy, and I came across this:

Read the comments all the way down (if you're able to). To see how far down the rabbit hole we've gone, we now have people claiming Sean Hannity (!!!!!) being a part of the Obama/Clinton conspiracy to cover up Benghazi!

I'm not gonna lie; that this whole Benghazi thing has now completely backfired on them puts a huge smile on my face.

FyreWulff

The Democrats should take a long hard look at that image and finally discover why it's not worth being nice to the Republican party.

That image is a perfect example of the current state of the GOP. Run by the crazies and lacking all logic. You cannot reason with that thick a wall of obtuseness.

Jooney

The Democrats should take a long hard look at that image and finally discover why it's not worth being nice to the Republican party.

That image is a perfect example of the current state of the GOP. Run by the crazies and lacking all logic. You cannot reason with that thick a wall of obtuseness.

Joe the Plumber is neither the leader or the embodiment of the Republican Party.

Back on the Benghazi train eh. That was a tactic to try to drive Obama into some kind of scandal, but it belly flopped. I do wonder where the political cynicism ends and where the batshit begins.

Yeah. Data set:

Per capita income = about 100,000
Median income = 1

This is why distribution is important!

(But Gallant has the correct interpretation of your particular data.)

No, it means the amazing stupendous wealth of the wealthiest whites pushes the per capita income way up for whites.

Thanks. I've just been doing a lot of research lately. I just want to see how true the model minority myth is. So far I've found that the second wave (or whatever you refer to) of Asian immigrants (Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian, and Hmong) are mostly doing relatively poor with only Vietnamese escaping into working/middle class. But considering that their German counterparts are at the top of the income earners there, something definitely went wrong. Its mostly the pre-60s and new Asian immigrants that fit the model minority bill. I just want to search for more information on this. Its sad that my thread died so quick. I'm trying to find some information on the subject.

Oblivion

I'm not gonna lie; that this whole Benghazi thing has now completely backfired on them puts a huge smile on my face.

Agreed, though I have to say that I find this whole Benghazi thing equally as fascinating as it is amusing.

The ability of right wing media to rile up their audience over the most inane and trivial shit is just astounding. I find the base's reaction to Benghazi far more intriguing than even the stuff that went on during the HCR debate. Sure, you had dumbasses on medicare complaining about government run healthcare, and the constant invocation of Godwin's law, but as retarded as that was, I could still get that UCH is something that these people have been indoctrinated to be against for the longest time. Benghazi, however, is completely different. This is a case where these mouthbreathers have been riled up where in any other context these same folks wouldn't have ever given two shits about it whatsoever. To many of these Teatards, they seriously, and legitimately think that Obama's 9/11 was way worse than the original 9/11. Once again, I can't think of anything resembling this phenomenon occurring on the left.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not to mention if you ask any if them why they are upset about Benghazi, outside of the standard "FOUR AMERICANS DIED!!" rhetoric, they wouldn't even be able to give you any information.

Angry Fork

I'm not surprised, but it is still scary and sad. This is how ultra nationalist/fascist movements are created, stir up the nest of ignorant people with baseless fearful claims, add a mix of religious nonsense and the rage builds until it can no longer be controlled. I don't know how or why fox news is allowed to do what it does with impunity. There's nothing wrong with ideological pushes but only if you can back it up with reasoned moral arguments, not flat out lies and conjecture.

This lady from the replies is ridiculous:

https://twitter.com/Kathy_Amidon

Agreed, though I have to say that I find this whole Benghazi thing equally as fascinating as it is amusing.

The ability of right wing media to rile up their audience over the most inane and trivial shit is just astounding. I find the base's reaction to Benghazi far more intriguing than even the stuff that went on during the HCR debate. Sure, you had dumbasses on medicare complaining about government run healthcare, and the constant invocation of Godwin's law, but as retarded as that was, I could still get that UCH is something that these people have been indoctrinated to be against for the longest time. Benghazi, however, is completely different. This is a case where these mouthbreathers have been riled up where in any other context these same folks wouldn't have ever given two shits about it whatsoever. To many of these Teatards, they seriously, and legitimately think that Obama's 9/11 was way worse than the original 9/11. Once again, I can't think of anything resembling this phenomenon occurring on the left.

It makes being a conservative very difficult, I have to say. The wingnuts have always been in American politics, and conservatism can be a much more indulgent ideology than many realise, but throwing these people out of party and power is the great project. The original sin was splitting the two parties straight down the line ideologically after the civil rights act, where Barry Goldwater was siphoning New Deal Dixiecrats who only turned on welfare when blacks were getting their hands on it as well.

The party is a Dixiecrat one, not a conservative one. Most of these politicians espouse nothing like status quo reform, they want very radical changes to to nature and structure of Government, and are the most reactionary politicians in the western world.

A couple of years ago, I remember that Obamacare would require hiring of thousands of IRS employees because IRS would handle enforcement.

Anyone know if thats true, and if so, which cities are getting the thousands of IRS jobs?

Aaron

Not to mention if you ask any if them why they are upset about Benghazi, outside of the standard "FOUR AMERICANS DIED!!" rhetoric, they wouldn't even be able to give you any information.
Because Fox told them to. Reason they don't care at all about the twenty children who died in Newtown killing? Because Fox told them not to. It really is that simple.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Christ....

Fox has created a bunch of monsters. It's fascinating and unreal to see their own creation turn on them like this.

Honestly, I'm just going to be assuming it's the idiots online that are like that. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323346304578425090427372544.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

The Boston bombing is also a reminder of the continuing need for heightened defenses against terror threats. A kind of anti-antiterror media and legal industry has developed in recent years claiming that police tactics like pre-emptive surveillance are no longer necessary. Al Qaeda is all but defeated, they say, so we can relax. The reality is that the threat continues to be real, and the price of a peaceful marathon is constant vigilance.
WTF

Link

The Autumn Wind
Because Fox told them to. Reason they don't care at all about the twenty children who died in Newtown killing? Because Fox told them not to. It really is that simple.
Right, that was my point. All they know are talking points and not any real information.

So I'm guessing when we find out this was done by some nutbag domestic terrorist/survivalist, the pivot argument will become that a foreigner actually did it but the government decided to frame an American instead.

I wouldn't give Fox that much credit. They hate Obama because they hate Obama. Fox just provided them with Benghazi as something to fixate their hatred on. But let's be real, it is not like any of them liked Obama before Benghazi happened. Benghazi is just the thing they think they can trump him up and impeach him on . . . but I still don't understand the legal theory on why? But I doubt they have real legal theory.

Angry Fork

It makes being a conservative very difficult, I have to say. The wingnuts have always been in American politics, and conservatism can be a much more indulgent ideology than many realise, but throwing these people out of party and power is the great project. The original sin was splitting the two parties straight down the line ideologically after the civil rights act, where Barry Goldwater was siphoning New Deal Dixiecrats who only turned on welfare when blacks were getting their hands on it as well.

The party is a Dixiecrat one, not a conservative one. Most of these politicians espouse nothing like status quo reform, they want very radical changes to to nature and structure of Government, and are the most reactionary politicians in the western world.

The 'status quo', socially liberal conservatives can just vote Obama, the real difficulty is for people on the left who want dramatic change in their favor and have nobody to vote for in a 2 party system, and no viable movement since Occupy was smashed.

It is infuriating that what used to be a trademark of the left (grassroots mass mobilization, consistent protests, unified clear goals etc.) is now exclusive to the far right. Extremely sad state of affairs.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wouldn't give Fox that much credit. They hate Obama because they hate Obama. Fox just provided them with Benghazi as something to fixate their hatred on. But let's be real, it is not like any of them liked Obama before Benghazi happened. Benghazi is just the thing they think they can trump him up and impeach him on . . . but I still don't understand the legal theory on why? But I doubt they have real legal theory.
Actually, I'd bet if you ask them why they hate Obama, they couldn't give you any actual policy reasons.

EDIT - Any true ones, anyway.

Right wing "celebrities" never die.

I'm wondering if Ann Coulter is at least close to it. Granted, there will always be the absolute lunatic fringe. But I think she's finally managed to alienate much of the right with the latest flap with Megan McCain. I think Coulter is now kinda being ignored like Palin. They are both a bit passe.

Oblivion

Also, Chris Stevens was a member of Obama's own friggin administration! Why would he possibly do anything that would intentionally endanger one of his own lackeys?

Aaron

Fox has spent years feeding their Obama hate, and giving them reasons to justify it like Benghazi. Without Fox, they would probably look like sad little racists and at least some of them might rethink their views. Instead, I have people like my parents, who are the least racist people I know, repeating the anti-Obama stuff, which is always either misleading or flat-out wrong. Fox are the Emperor from Episode 2 feeding the Anakin of the American public.

FyreWulff

claiming that police tactics like pre-emptive surveillance are no longer necessary. Al Qaeda is all but defeated, they say, so we can relax. The reality is that the threat continues to be real, and the price of a peaceful marathon is constant vigilance.

The party of supposedly small government: NEED MOAR GOVERNMENT

OH.

MY.

GOD.

@oreillyfactor we R sick death of you & left leaning Fox. Report the true news or

The amazing thing is 'report the true news' . . . well, lady, how the fuck do you know what the 'true news' is anyway? She's already decided what the 'true news' is and wants to have that 'true news' reaffirmed to her. Ridiculous.

How do I know what is the 'true news'? Well, the things that are reported by multiple different unbiased sources. (And I'll pretty much trust most government reports except when it comes to foreign policy and the military). But I doubt multiple different unbiased sources is what she considers 'true news' . . . that's the liberal lamestream media!

The amazing thing is 'report the true news' . . . well, lady, how the fuck do you know what the 'true news' is anyway? She's already decided what the 'true news' is and wants to have that 'true news' reaffirmed to her. Ridiculous.

How do I know what is the 'true news'? Well, the things that are reported by multiple different unbiased sources. (And I'll pretty much trust most government reports except when it comes to foreign policy and the military). But I doubt multiple different unbiased sources is what she considers 'true news' . . . that's the liberal lamestream media!

These people are generally the denizens of whacko conservative websites that see everything (including Fox) as a left-wing conspiracy. The "true news" is what goes up there, and they don't see it reflected anywhere else, so everywhere else is not reporting the true news.

These people are generally the denizens of whacko conservative websites that see everything (including Fox) as a left-wing conspiracy. The "true news" is what goes up there, and they don't see it reflected anywhere else, so everywhere else is not reporting the true news.

And many of the far-right talkers push that narrative. Beck, Limbaugh, etc. . . . "Don't listen to the lamestream media, the drive-by media, etc. . . . listen to me." Of course, the irony is that they are just talk shows where the host picks a few news stories that they feel push their narrative and then riff on the. Well . . . why are you listening to those shows if they are simply also based on the mainstream news? So there is an internal inconsistency there. But I guess they do get the Svengali spin of the host.

But if you just listen to those folks (or just listen to Rachel Maddow), you'll get a very incomplete view of the full news out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom