• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly have no idea anymore. 12 dimensional chess confirmed?

startrek_chess.jpg

shit i wanna try

GhaleonEB

Other than obama compromising/caving on the 250k threshold can anyone else tell me why liberals don't like this deal?

Caves on dividend and capital gains rates. Makes NO progress on estate taxes and in fact lowers them permenantly. Raises ~ 1/2 the revenue of Obama's original offer, which he will presumably have to find via spending cuts now that the tax issues are getting settled. That will hurt a lot of people and the economy long term.

Squandered his best bargaining chip for nothing in return.

Caveat that the deal is not final here -------------------> *

ISOM

Caves on dividend and capital gains rates. Makes NO progress on estate taxes and in fact lowers them permenantly. Raises ~ 1/2 the revenue of Obama's original offer, which he will presumably have to find via spending cuts now that the tax issues are getting settled. That will hurt a lot of people and the economy long term.

Squandered his best bargaining chip for nothing in return.

Caveat that the deal is not final here -------------------> *

thanks

Guys, if the deal is a few small tax raises on the rich and no spending cuts, it is a good deal. Fucking let Republicans push for spending cuts in three months. What cuts have they ever been able to name? They will just continue to act like children, appear to hold the country hostage, and poison their own brand. Meanwhile Obama and the Dems look like adults for compromising before the new year.

Shit, let them keep it up until 2014. Who cares? Democrats can only benefit from the tea party's kamikaze anti-spending tactics. The American people don't really want spending cuts, so if Republicans want to keep pushing for them every time the debt ceiling comes up, let them. Something has got to give eventually; they will either have to start naming cuts (which is a poison pill for them) or they will have to give it up.

edit: And if the deal has 100 billion in stimulus, even better.
I know this is hard for some here, but how we actually worry about the effects of the deal rather than the perception of what politicians may or may not look like. I've been guilty of it too, but it's sad that it is almost the bigger story here.

pigeon

Banned
Other than obama compromising/caving on the 250k threshold can anyone else tell me why liberals don't like this deal?

That is their purpose.

Bit busy. Anyone got a link to details of supposed deal. Or summary from someone unbiased such as pigeon? Thanks!

Everybody seems be going off the HuffPo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/12/31/fiscal-cliff-deal_n_2388823.html?1356976452

Summary is $600-$800 billion in revenue (depending on some assumptions), $100 in continued stimulus, and...that's it.

ZeroRay

I'd prefer a better deal, but this one isn't really as bad as the initial reactions demonstrated.

Though I still doubt the chances of this passing the house. I think we'd need 15+ Repubs along with unanimous Dem support?

michael viqueira @mikeviqueira

McCain on POTUS event: "I'm not sure yet...whether to be angry or saddened"

GOP obviously upset at the 'tone' of Obama's presser

#confused

I'd prefer a better deal, but this one isn't really as bad as the initial reactions demonstrated.

Though I still doubt the chances of this passing the house. I think we'd need 15+ Repubs along with unanimous Dem support?

if it doesnt pass, whos up for making a new thread with gifs of laughter/ lolzness?

The only hesitation I think the left has is over the debt ceiling. We are OK with the following case:

- Obama stands firm and forces Bohner's shitburger crew to come up with an actual bill with entitlement cuts for the debt ceiling and present it to Obama. Boehner would never be able to come up with anything that the public wouldn't hate and then Obama goes " OK, since you got nothing, pass the debt ceiling with no strings attached".

They are not OK with the following case, which terrifies us:

- Obama gets into negotiation over entitlement cuts for the debt ceiling-treating it as something to be negotiated for-and in the end Democrats are left "owning" unpopular cuts to Medicare, SS, and Medicaid as the final bill still gets rejected by a majority of the the extreme GOP House and Senate (but still passes due to Obama-pressured Dems+the few moderate GOP left).

Dems don't trust Obama enough to not do the latter after what went down in 2011.

bananas

Banned
Jesus Christ, going by all your reactions I would've thought that Obama cut taxes for only millionaires, got rid of SS, and then resigned.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like this now just because conservatives hate it.

It'd be a great deal if he took the debt ceiling off the table.

Well, at least we know Obama has good taste in gaming.

lR7qk.gif

But seriously, not as bad of a deal as I thought it would be. Although, I still wish the Republicans would receive a bit more punishment for all of their economic terrorist tactics...

Tim-E

This thread reads exactly like PoliGAF threads from 09/10; an endless barrage of liberal whining about a moderate President governing like a moderate.

In another round of "What doesn't?", via Dylan Matthews, Lindsey Graham says this deal brings us closer to Greece.

I don't think this is going to pass. Even f it gets through the Senate, I can't imagine how Boehner justifies to his caucus bringing it to the floor. "Hey, guys, we should vote for this, but it only raises revenue and continues stimulative tax expenditures."

In another round of "What doesn't?", via Dylan Matthews, Lindsey Graham says this deal brings us closer to Greece.

I don't think this is going to pass. Even f it gets through the Senate, I can't imagine how Boehner justifies to his caucus bringing it to the floor. "Hey, guys, we should vote for this, but it only raises revenue and continues stimulative tax expenditures."

despite the gerrymandering, the gop 2014 primaries should be interesting

Tim-E

If this does get through Congress, Obama is viewed as someone who was willing to compromise in order to get things done. If it doesn't, Obama can point to how moderate many of his proposals were and say that Republicans are protecting rich people. Polls indicate that Republicans are going to get the blame for this deal falling through if it does. It doesn't really matter if liberals or conservatives like every element of proposed comprimises; Obama wins the long game either way.

AntoneM

This thread reads exactly like PoliGAF threads from 09/10; an endless barrage of liberal whining about a moderate President governing like a moderate.

More along the lines of moderate liberals whining about a Democrat president governing like a moderate conservative.

Chichikov

How is this bill moderately conservative?
It makes the estate tax cuts, the dividends tax cuts and most of Bush's tax cuts for the rich permanent, which they weren't before.

I don't think it's the end of the world, but it's strongly codify a supply side approach to our economic problems, which was considered fringe position even in the GOP as late as 1980.

I can totally see why, so far this deal:

-Raises at least 600 billion in revenue
-Has no entitlement cuts
-Has no spending cuts
-About 100 billion in stimulative tax policies (continuation)

Well, now all the Libs will love it.

Nope. The problem with it is that it is still a contractionary fiscal policy position during a weak recession. Yes, some of the net reduction in spending is placed on higher income earners where it can do less damage, but a big chunk of it isn't. Where is the extension of the payroll tax cut?

Americans are all but certain to face a broad hike in taxes on Tuesday for the first time in at least two decades, ending a prolonged period of declining taxation that has become a defining characteristic of the American economy.

Regardless of whether President Obama and Congress reach an agreement to avoid the “fiscal cliff,” many Americans will see a higher tax bill because of the expiration of the payroll tax cut, which was enacted in 2011 as a temporary measure to boost economic growth. The tax holiday was preceded by a similar temporary cut in 2009 and 2010.

Lawmakers on Monday morning were locked in negotiations trying to close a deal that would, in part, prevent a separate tax — the income tax — from rising for all but the wealthiest taxpayers.

Unlike income taxes, which rise along with a worker’s income, the payroll tax is a fixed percentage of an employee’s salary. Allowing the tax cut to expire will increase taxes on salaries by 2 percent for every American worker. Up to $110,100 a year in salary is subject to the tax.

This jump in payroll taxes, combined with other tax increases affecting the very wealthy likely to take effect in the new year, would make for the largest increase in taxes in about half a century. ...

Because of the expiry of the payroll tax cut, a worker earning $50,000, for instance, would pay $1,000 more in taxes next year; meanwhile, a worker earning less than $20,000 a year would pay about $100 more in taxes. Someone in the upper fifth of households, making $150,000 a year, will pay about $2,200 more.​

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d4bf0a-5259-11e2-8b49-64675006147f_story.html

And:

JPMorgan estimates that the payroll tax hike "will reduce U.S. disposable income by $125 billion," which would be a drag on consumer spending and could reduce GDP growth by over half of a percent next year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57559808/will-the-2-social-security-payroll-tax-cut-expire/

Republicans apparently aren't opposed to all tax increases. None that I am aware of is opposed to raising this regressive tax. The net reduction in spending agreed to still has a very good chance to increase deficits rather than reduce them as tax receipts fall due to the damage inflicted on the economy.

Not to mention that the contours of the deals being floated do not resolve the spending cuts that are still on the books, which add further to the net reduction in spending. If permanent tax cuts for the rich are part of this deal, then it stands to reason that a good deal would also permanently resolve the needless spending cuts. Kicking them down the road while giving away permanent tax cuts to the rich (while raising taxes on working lower and middle class people) is a bad deal.

How is this bill moderately conservative?

It's extremely conservative, almost insanely so. It slashes net government spending when unemployment is near 8%.

RDreamer

Republicans apparently aren't opposed to all tax increases. None that I am aware of is opposed to raising this regressive tax.

This is what I don't get. Why is the payroll tax cut dropped without much of a fight from anyone at all? Most of these assholes' constituents benefit from this, whereas most don't benefit from a tax cut of $250,000+. It's insane they're getting away with this.

pigeon

Banned
Obama's not trying to keep the union together, win a war and end slavery. He's trying to raise taxes by 4%

That makes it harder, really. Slavery is a moral blight on the nation. Regressive taxation, while wrong, doesn't really rise to the same level. It's much easier to get people to come together against an obvious moral crime than it is to explain to them why progressive income redistribution will fight the stultifying effects of American stratification.

Caves on dividend and capital gains rates.

No. Obama wanted to raise capital gains to 20%. That's exactly what's in the deal. You might have wanted to raise them by more than that, but he campaigned on 20% and he's delivering on that. Dividends, I'll grant you.

Makes NO progress on estate taxes and in fact lowers them permenantly.

What are you talking about? The deal raises estate taxes from 35% to 40%. It doesn't raise them to the Clinton level, but again, nobody in DC actually wanted to do that.

Raises ~ 1/2 the revenue of Obama's original offer, which he will presumably have to find via spending cuts now that the tax issues are getting settled.

Why would you presume this? I don't understand this thought process at all. If this is how people think, no wonder Obama doesn't usually ask for the farm in his opening bid -- every time he takes something off the table, liberals assume he'll have to pay for it by cutting Medicare. That's not how it works. Obama's original offer was deliberately inflated, that's the purpose of negotiation.

This is what I don't get. Why is the payroll tax cut dropped without much of a fight from anyone at all? Most of these assholes' constituents benefit from this, whereas most don't benefit from a tax cut of $250,000+. It's insane they're getting away with this.

Klein tweeted two weeks ago that, for reasons completely unknown to anybody, Reid and Pelosi both don't like the payroll tax cut. Given that, it's no surprise that it's going away, although I agree that it would've been the best choice of stimulus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom